Speculation: 2022 Offseason Roster Discussion

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Love to see Kyle sign Jake Livingstone and Ben Meyers. Would be a smart move on their part they can probably play right away.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Love to see Kyle sign Jake Livingstone and Ben Meyers. Would be a smart move on their part they can probably play right away.
Almost every team is trying to sign Ben Meyers, and chances are Minnesota will be the favourite.

I'm sure Kyle will try, but I doubt Chicago lands him.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
What is the plan in net fr the Hawks? They have no NHL goalies
That is the plan.
giphy.gif

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
Question: Eventhough the TDL just got wrapped up why couldn't you trade Jones now during this business year and maybe retain 1.5M for 3-4 seasons and try to recoup at least a pick & a prospect? It is lunacy but why couldn't you try b4 that NMC kicks in? Worst case is he doesn't play for his new team according to what I read.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Question: Eventhough the TDL just got wrapped up why couldn't you trade Jones now during this business year and maybe retain 1.5M for 3-4 seasons and try to recoup at least a pick & a prospect? It is lunacy but why couldn't you try b4 that NMC kicks in? Worst case is he doesn't play for his new team according to what I read.
You cannot retain for just a few seasons. You retain for each year.

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
You cannot retain for just a few seasons. You retain for each year.
OK, but even then is that a plausible outcome? Has an NHL player ever traded the same year he signed but b4 the extension kicked in? It is lunacy at it's best but these are desperate times.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
OK, but even then is that a plausible outcome? Has an NHL player ever traded the same year he signed but b4 the extension kicked in? It is lunacy at it's best but these are desperate times.
It's happened.

Still though, Jones has a massive deal and without the Hawks retaining (which they'd have to do for all 8 years), it'd be a tough deal to make work.

Best option is to prepare yourself for a Jones lead defense the next handful of years. If that changes and we get something out of it, it'd a pleasant surprise.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
It would be nice if Jones was paired with someone defensively competent to actually make a #1 pairing.......most hockey teams have that.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
It would be nice if Jones was paired with someone defensively competent to actually make a #1 pairing.......most hockey teams have that.

Jones is the defensively competent half of a pairing. He needs to be paired with a strong PMD to get the most out of him. That's why he worked so well in CBJ, bc Werenski could handle the transitioning of the puck up the ice. Jones got the stops. Pairing him with guys like De Haan or McCabe doesn't work.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Jones is the defensively competent half of a pairing. He needs to be paired with a strong PMD to get the most out of him. That's why he worked so well in CBJ, bc Werenski could handle the transitioning of the puck up the ice. Jones got the stops. Pairing him with guys like De Haan or McCabe doesn't work.

Jones can play with pretty much any other top pairing defenseman. He just isn't a hall of famer like Keith, that can carry the bums he's been with all season.... Hawks fans are spoiled.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

this is the comp...fired burke, brought in shanahan and lou, full teardown rebuild, ate the money on kessel and are still paying retained money but they got him off the books and netted kapanen who was d+1 at the time but considered a pretty good prospect

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
There’s no rush to move Jones. Someone has to play defence. The rest of the idiots can be gone ASAP though.

It’s also a good year to not be free agent hunting. This crop is down right brutal.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
There’s no rush to move Jones. Someone has to play defence. The rest of the idiots can be gone ASAP though.

It’s also a good year to not be free agent hunting. This crop is down right brutal.
You still need some vets around to help the kids along the way. Talented ones would be preferable.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I was wondering........if we continue to suck and hit the lottery for this draft therefore leaving us with no pick for 2023. Does Davidson then explore trading Kane and/or Cat to get a pick in that draft to keep the rebuild going? Not that I want either traded but hopefully there is a plan for the fisting Stan gave us with the Jones trade.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I was wondering........if we continue to suck and hit the lottery for this draft therefore leaving us with no pick for 2023. Does Davidson then explore trading Kane and/or Cat to get a pick in that draft to keep the rebuild going? Not that I want either traded but hopefully there is a plan for the fisting Stan gave us with the Jones trade.
I want a scorched earth rebuild. Trade Kane, Cat, Jones everyone you can. Start from scratch right now. Anyone in the organization is available for the right price.

I think the culture is rotten.

That being said, if the best return for Kane is something like the Flyers got for Giroux, then I hope he stays and breaks records.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad