Speculation: 2022 Offseason Roster Discussion

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Svech, Landeskog, Connor all got under 9. Cat should not be any different and honestly I don’t expect him to be a tough sign. His second contract came out of no where. Wouldn’t be surprised if he signs for 8x8 Skinner contract be damned.
Yeah 8 is what I had in mind for him too

Reactions: Styles

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
I want them to clean house with this terrible coaching staff. But at the same time if they're aiming to be bad again next year you almost want them to keep this band of arseholes behind the bench to give the team the best chances to be shit again.

f*** Stanley.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Svech, Landeskog, Connor all got under 9. Cat should not be any different and honestly I don’t expect him to be a tough sign. His second contract came out of no where. Wouldn’t be surprised if he signs for 8x8 Skinner contract be damned.

Svech was coming off his ELC; his career best in goals was 24 and points was 61 prior to signing the contract. DeBrincat has been waaay more productive than Landeskog throughout his career. Connor was also coming off his ELC and signed the deal before really popping off offensively.

If Kyle Connor was up for a contract this off-season, you think he signs for anything less than 9M? No chance. DeBrincat is a two-time 40-goal scorer and he would have had a third 40-goal season under his belt if last season wasn't a shortened year. His QO is going to be 9M+. I'd be shocked if he signed for anything less, especially if he's going to sign for term.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I know some fans aren't going to like this, but I think it might be an either/or thing with Cat and Kane. I don't think they're going to commit to 3 9M+ contracts on a bad team.

The other thing is that idk how Cat will do without Kane to feed him the puck. If I were the Hawks I'd start playing Cat and Strome together away from Kane to get a better feel. Maybe try the Otters line again.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Svech was coming off his ELC; his career best in goals was 24 and points was 61 prior to signing the contract. DeBrincat has been waaay more productive than Landeskog throughout his career. Connor was also coming off his ELC and signed the deal before really popping off offensively.

If Kyle Connor was up for a contract this off-season, you think he signs for anything less than 9M? No chance. DeBrincat is a two-time 40-goal scorer and he would have had a third 40-goal season under his belt if last season wasn't a shortened year. His QO is going to be 9M+. I'd be shocked if he signed for anything less, especially if he's going to sign for term.

I guess we will see but I still think he comes in under 9. Another comparable would be Zibanejad who just signed at 8.5M buying all UFA years. He wasn’t as good as Cat in his earlier years but when judging contracts I think you look at the last three years. At least I do.

Last three years
Zibanejad 191GP 93G 111A 204P 1.07p/pg
Cat 200GP 90G 87A 177P 0.89p/pg

Hopefully they get something done this summer.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
The Kane effect cannot be over-estimated with Cat.....with inflation, no more than 8MM.....

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Funny to see the same shit being said about DeBrincat, that was being said about Panarin. Hilarious, actually. How did that work out?

DeBrincat would be absolutely fine without Kane. In fact, he might produce more, because he wouldn't constantly be deferring to him...

There are a lot of guys that defer to Kane on this team. DeBrincat isn't one of them. If Kane wasn't here, his goals would come down and his assists would go up. But he'd still be a productive player.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
I guess we will see but I still think he comes in under 9. Another comparable would be Zibanejad who just signed at 8.5M buying all UFA years. He wasn’t as good as Cat in his earlier years but when judging contracts I think you look at the last three years. At least I do.

Last three years
Zibanejad 191GP 93G 111A 204P 1.07p/pg
Cat 200GP 90G 87A 177P 0.89p/pg

Hopefully they get something done this summer.

Zibanejad is going to be in his 29/30-year-old season the first year of that deal. The Rangers likely got a better AAV bc they offered him a crazy term. The Hawks don't have that leverage. They can offer DeBrincat crazy term too, but they're buying the most productive years of his career, so he's not going to give up AAV just bc they offer term. The Rangers were buying the majority of Zibanejad's 30+ years.

Last edited:

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
The Kane effect cannot be over-estimated with Cat.....with inflation, no more than 8MM.....
I completely agree! Cat has a hell of a release. But, without an elite passer like Kane. I'm not sure that the goal total is 40-50. Likely closer to 30-35

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
Does anyone think Nichuskin or Burakovsky would be a good option if moving on from Kubalik?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad