GDT: 2022 NHL Trade Deadline Monday, March 21 3pm est

Status
Not open for further replies.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
The Rakell deal is driving me nuts, as now everyone is picking the Pens to win the Metro. As if they really needed more scoring, he’s now penciled in to play with Malkin. We probably didn’t have the players the Ducks wanted to get a deal - still, that is the one move really bugging me.

It must be nice to be PIT, having Jarry, and just being able to attack with 3 lines knowing he’ll make 40 saves.

The players the Penguins gave up aren’t very good. A 4th liner, an AHLer, an okay goalie prospect and a 2nd.

Caps gave up a 3rd for a 4th liner that is injured coming off surgery.

GMBM and Lavi should both be on a short leash if they flame out in the first round again.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Pens gave up two players with salary(Aston-Reese and Simon), a 2nd and another prospect for a rental. I wouldn't exactly say that is nothing. Sprong scored 8 goals and became a consistent scratch. He was not good developing any chemistry with any players on the team, which is the same problems he had sticking with the Ducks/Pens. The 4th round and 6th round picks are crap shoot picks. Those picks have a low probability of becoming NHL players. If you look at a lot of teams at this deadline, they all mostly overpaid for who they traded for.
ZAR is a 4th liner. Simon in an AHLer. An okay goalie prospect and a 2nd rounder is about it. Caps gave up a 3rd for a 4th liner that is injured coming off hernia surgery.

Pretty f***ing awful.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Think about it like a poker game. You can only play the cards you have. And then you bet accordingly. That is exactly what GMBM did.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
The Rakell deal is driving me nuts, as now everyone is picking the Pens to win the Metro. As if they really needed more scoring, he’s now penciled in to play with Malkin. We probably didn’t have the players the Ducks wanted to get a deal - still, that is the one move really bugging me.

It must be nice to be PIT, having Jarry, and just being able to attack with 3 lines knowing he’ll make 40 saves.
I mean Rakell hasn’t really been good in 4 years. He has 3 less goals than Sheary at 5v5 since 18/19 in about 300 more minutes of ice time. He has the name value from his strong seasons from 15/16-17/18 but his finishing has been rather poor since. He could definitely click with Malkin, but he’s realistically not that much better than Kapanen, who he will probably be replacing on that line.

If he suddenly turns back the clock 4 or 5 years, sure he will be a really good add. You could say the same thing about Johansson though and he cost the Caps a fraction of what the Pens paid.

Reactions: Jags and DWGie26

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Johan Larsson is very frustrating to play against. I wanted another LD but Mojo & Larsson are solid depth adds which i like.
I feel the same way. Would have liked to trade for another LD (and sent Kempny out). That was probably going to cost a lot and if we did it people would be upset. I don’t think that would have been worth a second (or a second plus). not this year.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
I feel the same way. Would have liked to trade for another LD (and sent Kempny out). That was probably going to cost a lot and if we did it people would be upset. I don’t think that would have been worth a second (or a second plus). not this year.

Maybe not. But there will be injuries and Kempny now is just horrible unfortunately. And i would like to see the team going for it each year for psychological reasons.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
What happened to the crowd of people wanting CMM to get time in Hershey to develop his scoring touch?

Also the New projected 3rd line is all playoff gamers
Sheary - 2 Cups
Mojo - has some big OT goals for the Caps and Bruins
Eller - Stanley Cup GWG

It could be alot worst going against a FLA team missing their best D and not a great playoff history to boast.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
ZAR is a 4th liner. Simon in an AHLer. An okay goalie prospect and a 2nd rounder is about it. Caps gave up a 3rd for a 4th liner that is injured coming off hernia surgery.

Pretty f***ing awful.
Who is already practicing and ready in a week. Do some homework and don't make some general narrative blah, blah, blah the guy is injured!

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I’m with you. Had hope for Kempny but that is done now. He just covers everything and doesn’t move the puck out with speed with is when we are at our best. I’d Rather have Irwin in there. He has good wheels and a good veteran to have in lineup. And then I would go with LuJo next.

Reactions: YippieKaey

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Who is already practicing and ready in a week. Do some homework and don't make some general narrative blah, blah, blah the guy is injured!

Everything I said is true. He’s injured coming off surgery. Can he play the next Caps game? No because he’s injured.

Go make another 80 shitty trade proposal threads on the trade forum.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
The mojo move is meh but I get it. He can play multiple positions and improve the second PP unit’s zone entries. I’m intrigued by Larsson. Seems like a real pain in the ass to play against

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
If he did absolutely nothing, I would have shrugged my shoulders and said 'whatever'. It's this directionless, useless moves just for the sake of making a move. Moves that have become a trend, by the way.

Not only that but I'd bet a couple of bucks that this is the end CMM's season, barring injuries. I'll get to watch Marcus f********g Johansson instead. Not happy.
It’s put up or shit up for Lavi. Win with your team, or go somewhere else. This day has his fingerprints all over it.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Schultz, Eller, Samsonov, and Hagelin are all prime candidates to be gone this summer.
The issue there, though, is that these are secondary pieces. Breaths of fresh air may be needed but it's bound to be stale with the same core group should they get bounced early again. They'd need to think about dealing Oshie and getting younger in that event IMO, as hard as that may be. Whether that's in a package to Vancouver for Garland/Boeser or DeBrincat or Konecny. Something. Swapping out depth pieces can help but it probably doesn't change the team dynamic enough. More youth and speed can help but then having Lavi trust them is another story.

Win a round or two and it's a different story. I just thought the past few weeks would have made them more aggressive, esp. after reports not ruling anything out. But also generally in light of the core group's age. Even if it's not overly wise bigger picture. Even if they haven't brought the focus you'd ideally want in a veteran group. Even if they're probably destined to be an underdog. Something that would have moved the needle to solidify them down the stretch, further fueling the recent run and maybe turning back the clock more offensively. Johansson's pace could help but defensive forwards are decidedly unsexy and it's mostly a coaching demand. They're prudent value moves but ones I'd have expected more if they'd continued to blunder along the past few weeks. It's sort of a punted deadline regardless of limitations faced. Defense can certainly help win games--Montreal showed that very recently--but I don't think third-line buy-in is any sort of game-changer for overall team identity. Limitations in the games of 19/74/8 are still going to be there and 92 is no defensive wiz either. So in general it seems like a backward sort of compensatory approach. These are moves to keep games close but it seems pretty likely they'll once again lack punch.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Maybe not. But there will be injuries and Kempny now is just horrible unfortunately. And i would like to see the team going for it each year for psychological reasons.
psychologically there's as good a reason to be conservative. "going for it" every year and convincing yourself this is the time when it's not is a recipe for burning out and ceasing to believe in yourself.

The "win it for Ovie" push is going to come near the real end, when everyone in that room likely already knows the time is coming. If there was a "win it for Barry" push it happened at the same time, when everyone already knew he was leaving and the time had really come to put it all out there. The real one is coming, being impatient can handicap it.

Reactions: YippieKaey

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The "win it for Ovie" push is going to come near the real end, when everyone in that room likely already knows the time is coming. If there was a "win it for Barry" push it happened at the same time, when everyone already knew he was leaving and the time had really come to put it all out there. The real one is coming, being impatient can handicap it.
The problem with this line of thinking is other parts, like Backstrom and Carlson, may fade earlier to the point where it has passed already and went unrealized. Not saying they're there but realistically it's very hard to make deep runs with multiple key players on the downswing and really none significantly on the upswing. Being prudent now may give them the opportunity to maintain a deeper pipeline but who knows whether it comes close to any sort of contending strength.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
For those wanting goal scorers with little to zero D like Sprong and Domi, do you think we are going to upset the #1 seed by run and gun and being in races every game. Or trying to score 1st and then lock them down with strong D play. One way of playing seems to work better for teams with less talent.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
The problem with this line of thinking is other parts, like Backstrom and Carlson, may fade earlier to the point where it has passed already and went unrealized. Not saying they're there but realistically it's very hard to make deep runs with multiple key players on the downswing and really none significantly on the upswing. Being prudent now may give them the opportunity to maintain a deeper pipeline but who knows whether it comes close to any sort of contending strength.
I don't disagree but I don't think that time is now. Or... it sort of is, and isn't, but the balance won't tip until Carlson finally does and I don't think he's there yet. It definitely won't look the same but in those positions they have slightly younger options in Kuznetsov and Orlov that have proven they can step in and produce, if not at the same level, well enough that reordering the depth chart isn't the same thing as missing one of the key pieces entirely.

Another Cup win is going to look from the outside like veterans making a last heroic push, and a lot more from the inside like a snake getting ready to molt as it pushes those parts to the fringe and leaves them behind. If anyone's ego is bigger than that the whole thing will fall apart, of course, but I don't see this many old players hoisting each other up without a lot of work from young legs and I don't really see the Capitals satisfying that condition without changing in the next year or two. That means accelerating and testing the guys they've been holding on to so far and then swinging hard the year after next.

To me that's the best window they've got, the season after next. You might see Backstrom as a specialized 3/4C or Carlson on the second pair but it's the only season with significant overlap between what they have currently and what they need to look like other Cup contenders.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
psychologically there's as good a reason to be conservative. "going for it" every year and convincing yourself this is the time when it's not is a recipe for burning out and ceasing to believe in yourself.

The problem is you can’t have a “win it for Ovi” when he’s still your best player, pushing 40 over the next couple years. If there was no record chase, and this was a different type of franchise, Ovi would be trying to win one more Cup somewhere else where he’s not on the top line.

Don’t get me wrong - I don’t want to see Ovi in any other uniform, and generally love this core group, and the chase is fun. But who knows if Ovi will (potentially) score 50 again. And all our stars are just one year older and potentially more injury prone.

The organization is in a tough spot with its cap situation, and I’m not pretending there are easy answers to get rid of some stars and fundamentally alter the construction of the team before 8 and 19 retire.

I don’t expect much playoff success and am just enjoying the time we have left with these guys, so I probably won’t get too disappointed. But I understand the frustrations around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad