GDT: 2022 NHL Trade Deadline Monday, March 21 3pm est

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Probably more of an off-season trade. I doubt they would trade him straight up for a veteran 1B for Vanecek. They’d probably look to trade for a similar young forward/Dman or a pick and then sign someone this summer.
Yeah I just don't like the idea of him in goal, even as a backup. And there's no way in hell I want to see him in the playoffs.

Reactions: caps4cup

JayBeagleFanAccount

May 30, 2018
Washington, DC
The Caps couldn’t fit Domi’s cap hit and he grades out as having a lower impact than Johan Larsson. Name value doesn’t equal actual value. He has upside but also has a lot of downside. He’s been pretty bad since being traded from Montreal.
Im not saying we shouldve traded for domi im saying maclellan wasted assets trading for a guy like johansson when he brings nothing to the table and we have several young players (leason, protas, malenstyn) who are better and cost nothing. I liked sprong a lot and yes he lacked any real defensive talent, he is a fantastic offensive play driver and xG creator. There really isnt anything we couldve done to move the needle but man this just feels bad.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
So I did the armchair GM on capfriendly and they can get compliant by sending one more player down once everyone but Hagelin gets healthy. I'm assuming that player is CMM considering he was sent down today to be eligible for the Calder Cup Playoffs. Snively, AJF and Kempny were not sent down today so they are technically ineligible, which means they are sticking with the big club the rest of the way.

I suspect there was a chess move here. Easy to send down CMM and Leason because they are waiver exempt. Some will ask why not send Kempny down because he has not been good. I would suspect they thought there was risk he would get claimed and he is still a valuable 7th/8th or maybe he was in conversations for a trade that didn’t come to fruition. Unfortunately, that means he can’t play for Bears in Playoffs which is too bad.

I think you are right though… McMichael will have to go down for both roster spots and cap space When both Dowd and Larsson are back. They will have 5 legit centers and Johanson if things get dire.

For those who hate it, remember this… playoff hockey is a grind and you want NHL battle tested players so Larsson is an upgrade for McMichael for sure in playoffs (This year)! But it also means our black aces will be McMichael, Protas, and Leason at forward (with AJF as 13th and Snively coming off LTIR for playoffs). This is strong playoff depth and remember when we won the cup we had to use Nathan Walker and Travis Boyd. There will be opportunities.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Sprong had to go. He wasn’t a fit and everyone saw it. For Sprong to say he was surprised is funny to me. He had to know. The biggest reason to unload him was he wasn’t trusted and caused unbalanced lineups. We need 4 lines running to close the season and into the playoffs and Sprong was stealing that capability which is why when we had 12 others, Sprong was the one scratched.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Damn we are stuck with Samsonov. Would love to know how many GM's Bmac talked to or if there was ANY interest at all.
After Fleury going to the Wild(and supposedly not wanting to play here or us being on his no-trade list, etc), the Gibson rumor(Ducks would listen to offers, but going to the Caps a substantial contract would have had to be moved) and both Reimer/Allen wanted to be kept by their respective teams, the goalie upgrade market was almost nothing. Anderson would have been a cheap/safe insurance option(plus a career .929 playoff SV%), but maybe the Sabres were asking for too much like a 2nd(just a guess). I would have done like a 4th + Copley for Anderson. The downside besides an injury going into the playoffs, could be bringing in another goalie could lower Sammy's confidence and trade value(if their is a plan to trade him during the draft or later in the off-season).

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
After Fleury going to the Wild(and supposedly not wanting to play here or us being on his no-trade list, etc), the Gibson rumor(Ducks would listen to offers, but going to the Caps a substantial contract would have had to be moved) and both Reimer/Allen wanted to be kept by their respective teams, the goalie upgrade market was almost nothing. Anderson would have been a cheap/safe insurance option(plus a career .929 playoff SV%), but maybe the Sabres were asking for too much like a 2nd(just a guess). I would have done like a 4th + Copley for Anderson. The downside besides an injury going into the playoffs, could be bringing in another goalie could lower Sammy's confidence and trade value(if their is a plan to trade him during the draft or later in the off-season).
I would be pretty interested in Gibson in the off season. VV maybe out priced of backup money now so this playoffs will have alot to say about his future.
As for caring about Sammy trade value, Im over it. If any other NHL team takes a chance on him just trade him.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Im not saying we shouldve traded for domi im saying maclellan wasted assets trading for a guy like johansson when he brings nothing to the table and we have several young players (leason, protas, malenstyn) who are better and cost nothing. I liked sprong a lot and yes he lacked any real defensive talent, he is a fantastic offensive play driver and xG creator. There really isnt anything we couldve done to move the needle but man this just feels bad.
That is so untrue. Some of the issues with the Caps was imbalance on the forward lines and challenges protecting multi-goal leads and somewhat the PK with Hagelin lost for the season. Caps have enough goal scoring. What they needed was better back-checking forwards that could help in different game aspects. They got that in JoJo and Larsson. The 2023 3rd may have some future use(depends on how that draft turns out), but the 4th and 6th will likely be picks that have a low probability of being NHL players.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I would be pretty interested in Gibson in the off season. VV maybe out priced of backup money now so this playoffs will have alot to say about his future.
As for caring about Sammy trade value, Im over it. If any other NHL team takes a chance on him just trade him.
So would I. In the off-season the Caps would have a lot more leg room to make an offer. I would do something like a 2nd + Samsonov + Schultz(only to make the cap hit balance out more and if Schultz were to sign a new contract with the Ducks) + maybe a prospect(mid to low). I still have Gibson as a top 10 goalie. He can give you 50 to 60 starts and I think better numbers on a regular playoff team. I think either way, (good playoffs or not) VV gets a 2 year deal worth in the range of $1.5 - 2 million per year. If you had Gibson/VV, I would go 52/30 for starts.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
So would I. In the off-season the Caps would have a lot more leg room to make an offer. I would do something like a 2nd + Samsonov + Schultz(only to make the cap hit balance out more and if Schultz were to sign a new contract with the Ducks) + maybe a prospect(mid to low). I still have Gibson as a top 10 goalie. He can give you 50 to 60 starts and I think better numbers on a regular playoff team. I think either way, (good playoffs or not) VV gets a 2 year deal worth in the range of $1.5 - 2 million per year. If you had Gibson/VV, I would go 52/30 for starts.
We cant trade Schultz he will be a FA. I cant see the ducks wanting just a 2nd and Sammy for Gibson. It would prob cost alot more and im OK with it. I like Gibson alot and he has a Holtby like cap hit. It does look like the ducks are unloading talent for picks so it good we still have our top ones

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
We cant trade Schultz he will be a FA. I cant see the ducks wanting just a 2nd and Sammy for Gibson. It would prob cost alot more and im OK with it. I like Gibson alot and he has a Holtby like cap hit. It does look like the ducks are unloading talent for picks so it good we still have our top ones
Gibson would cost more than a 2nd + Samsonov, but not to extent that I would cough up a 1st. Only select goalies would draw a 1st+ like Vasilevskiy, Price, Shesterkin, Sorokin and Markstrom.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Gibson would cost more than a 2nd + Samsonov, but not to extent that I would cough up a 1st. Only select goalies would draw a 1st+ like Vasilevskiy, Price, Shesterkin, Sorokin and Markstrom.
If the price for Gibson was Sammy and a first, he would be a Capital today.

Sammy, first, +++

Reactions: RedRocking

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I don’t get all the hate for these moves. We have VV as our goalie and will need to play good team defense infront of him to win. With that having players in the lineup that Lavi doesn’t trust and staples to the bench hurts the rotation and burns guys out. I think this balances the lineup, we can roll four lines, help VV, and didn’t give much up at all. This doesn’t make us cup favorites, but nothing was going to. This makes us a harder out IMO. I’m glad we didn’t give up top picks for fools gold like Domi.

Reactions: zappa4ever

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Come summer we will have cap space and picks to spend. Many of our rivals dont.

If we extend Sammy and Vanecek both at 2,5 mills, and cap goes up around 2 mills, we will have 6,5 millions of cap space with only one bottom4 def to sign (and already having extras counted). Thats interesting.

You can fit a star calibre goalie or top6/top4 player with a little tweaks (like Eller out and replaced with CMM or Larsson or something). Anyone interested in Klingberg? Forsberg? Gibson? Patrick Kane?? I think the right way was to lay low TDL and go all in for next season, we held up the first part so lets see if BM goes through with the second aswell :)

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

If we extend Sammy and Vanecek both at 2,5 mills, and cap goes up around 2 mills, we will have 6,5 millions of cap space with only one bottom4 def to sign (and already having extras counted). Thats interesting.

You can fit a star calibre goalie or top6/top4 player with a little tweaks (like Eller out and replaced with CMM or Larsson or something). Anyone interested in Klingberg? Forsberg? Gibson? Patrick Kane?? I think the right way was to lay low TDL and go all in for next season, we held up the first part so lets see if BM goes through with the second aswell :)
Sorry he deserves a raise why?

He needs to go.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

As has been mentioned before, the problem with just waiting until next year is all of their star players are going to be a year older.

Ovechkin is a freak and he might still be great next year, but will Backstrom even be as good as he is this year when he is already in steep decline now? Will Carlson be worse? Will Oshie? Kuznetsov?

I’m not saying BMac did anything wrong by not overpaying for guys who wouldn’t be impactful, but it wasn’t an ideal outcome either. One thing is for sure: if they don’t win the Cup this year they can’t afford to have a silent offseason.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
As has been mentioned before, the problem with just waiting until next year is all of their star players are going to be a year older.

Ovechkin is a freak and he might still be great next year, but will Backstrom even be as good as he is this year when he is already in steep decline now? Will Carlson be worse? Will Oshie? Kuznetsov?

I’m not saying BMac did anything wrong by not overpaying for guys who wouldn’t be impactful, but it wasn’t an ideal outcome either. One thing is for sure: if they don’t win the Cup this year they can’t afford to have a silent offseason.
It appears the cost for Rakell was very reasonable. Lavi doesn’t want players like that, he wants Grinders.

This game now is about two things; money and speed. Lavi can’t seem to come to grips with this.

I agree with what you are saying. Win this year with what Lavi wants, but r course correct next year. We do have the flexibility to do that.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
Its very possible that i simply do not understand how LTIR works. But with all the injuries that we had this year, why didn't we have more cap room to add some real pieces? Again, maybe im just a complete idiot but it seems to me like other teams use LTIR for their advantage while we are acting like LTIR rules do not exist.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I think another thing that bothers me is that barring injury, McMichael isn’t likely to get a sweater in the postseason this year. Given that this year is a punt to some people, with next year being the time for a real push, shouldn’t a priority be to have McMichael in the lineup this year so that he has postseason experience entering next year? After all, if he is expected to be a big contributor next year, wouldn’t it be best to have some playoff games under his belt so he doesn’t enter next postseason as essentially a playoff rookie?

Elite players can make immediate impacts in the postseason as rookies, but for most young players it does take experience before they can thrive in the postseason. I’d hate to see him deprived of this opportunity if this year is a “puncher’s chance” year regardless of who’s in the lineup.

Reactions: Empty Goal Net

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
GoalieSv%HDSv%GAAGSAA
A.921.8232.5312.58
B.904.8083.05-4.23
C.912.7982.559.02

These are the combined stats at all strengths over the last two seasons of Vitek Vanecek, John Gibson, and Gibson’s journeyman backup Anthony Stolarz. Not including GP totals in the chart so it’s not obvious, but Vanny’s played 69, Gibson 81, and Stolarz 29. Anyone wanna guess which one has a 6.4M cap hit for 5 more seasons?

Reactions: twabby

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Its very possible that i simply do not understand how LTIR works. But with all the injuries that we had this year, why didn't we have more cap room to add some real pieces? Again, maybe im just a complete idiot but it seems to me like other teams use LTIR for their advantage while we are acting like LTIR rules do not exist.
They did maximize their LTIR, at least for Hagelin now that he is out for the season. If Hagelin never gets hurt, It's likely we see Kempny waived and McMichael sent down to get cap compliant. LTIR cap space doesn't bank, so we couldn't rack up cap space with our injuries. We were allowed to temporarily exceed the cap when Backstrom/Mantha were hurt but them being on LTIR doesn't really matter if they are coming back since you still gotta get under the cap once they are good to go. If they were out for the season then yes we could have done something bigger.

Reactions: itsjustsurvival

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
GoalieSv%HDSv%GAAGSAA
A.921.8232.5312.58
B.904.8083.05-4.23
C.912.7982.559.02

These are the combined stats at all strengths over the last two seasons of Vitek Vanecek, John Gibson, and Gibson’s journeyman backup Anthony Stolarz. Not including GP totals in the chart so it’s not obvious, but Vanny’s played 69, Gibson 81, and Stolarz 29. Anyone wanna guess which one has a 6.4M cap hit for 5 more seasons?

I'd be kind of surprised if Anaheim didn't try selling John Gibson soon before the rest of the league finds out that he's not good and he becomes a toxic asset. He's in Martin Jones territory over the past three seasons but I think he's still seen as one of the league's best because he was good 4 years ago.

I guess they're in no rush since they aren't near the cap ceiling, but he's the type of player that could potentially return real assets right now without really hurting the team given his poor play.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think another thing that bothers me is that barring injury, McMichael isn’t likely to get a sweater in the postseason this year. Given that this year is a punt to some people, with next year being the time for a real push, shouldn’t a priority be to have McMichael in the lineup this year so that he has postseason experience entering next year? After all, if he is expected to be a big contributor next year, wouldn’t it be best to have some playoff games under his belt so he doesn’t enter next postseason as essentially a playoff rookie?

Elite players can make immediate impacts in the postseason as rookies, but for most young players it does take experience before they can thrive in the postseason. I’d hate to see him deprived of this opportunity if this year is a “puncher’s chance” year regardless of who’s in the lineup.
If he’s not ready, he’s not ready. warming him up this playoff Run for future success isn’t all that necessary, but I suspect he will get some time….

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
They should have gone after Gibson. How much leverage could Anaheim have had with 5 years left.

We can't afford him, and Anaheim certainly wasn't going to eat the Hagelin/Kempny contracts in the deal, and the cost of moving those contracts at the TDL would have been pretty big. We had no shot at Gibson, and I personally want no part of his contract.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Im not saying we shouldve traded for domi im saying maclellan wasted assets trading for a guy like johansson when he brings nothing to the table

Johansson brings plenty to the table. He's a versatile guy with wheels that distributes the puck very well. This team has finishers; another playmaker is a good thing. And the "wasted assets" thing is nonsense...

"63% of first round picks played but less than 25% of second round picks survived and only 12% of third rounder selections. Former NHL general manager Doug MacLean said his math over the last decade showed that only 15% of second round picks ever become impact players."

So we gave up three picks that had very small chances of yielding something substantial to bring in two good, versatile depth players.

and we have several young players (leason, protas, malenstyn) who are better and cost nothing.

Those players are not better than Johansson right now.

I liked sprong a lot and yes he lacked any real defensive talent, he is a fantastic offensive play driver and xG creator.

I think that's an overstatement, but even if it's 100% true he didn't produce a lot of the time, and when he's not producing the parts of his game that make him a liability are much more glaring. If he's going to just be a one-dimensional sniper, he either needs to produce more, produce more often, or at least shore up the deficiencies in the rest of his game. He didn't do those things and he's not a chemistry guy that makes players around him better. When he doesn't score, he's a liability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA