GDT: 2022 NHL Trade Deadline Monday, March 21 3pm est

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
I think Schultz has been pretty good as of late. Not $4M good, but he is a solid 2nd pair RHD who can point a power play. We have him on the third line. And another righty TVR on the left whom we pay 950k. Will be interesting to see what happens with Schultz in offseason. I know this… we won’t be paying him $4M. But with no righty’s ready to come up, I could see a world where he gets resigned for $2M to 2.5M. IF Schultz will take that deal. If not, we free up $4M.
Schultz should not be resigned, for any reason. We have guys in Hershey that can take that spot.

Reactions: Corby78

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Why are you giving leash to Backstrom? I can't even describe how much I dislike "loyalty" stuff in professional sport. He is playing in a cap world where he needs to perform at his salary level or to face the consequences. He is one the highest paid guys in the team, and whole league to be honest. It's stuff like this that make players go from star to nobody, because they know in their head that nothing will happen no matter what. His contract alone was a gift from gods, now perform or be gone.

Because I am a generous man!

Also I think he is going from star to nobody because he has a bad hip, not because he’s lazy or whatever.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I’m not sure I get the disappointment or surprise. BMac sat there a few weeks ago and said he thought we slipped from a bonafide contender this fall to a fringe second tier contender the past few months and that he didn’t think they’d earned any major moves at the deadline. The nice run in March moved the needle a bit probably but not that much.

To me it’s clear this summer will be the time for systemic changes if they flame out early again. He said he didn’t want to trade prospects because they’ll be playing here soon and he didn’t want to trade early picks this or next year either. A decent amount of cap space is opening up. He’s saving his ammunition for this summer.

I think BMac is thinking that this team has another shot to prove they can go far as constructed and if they don’t there will be significant changes this summer. Schultz, Eller, Samsonov, and Hagelin are all prime candidates to be gone this summer.

I’m fine with what they did. Sprong never had a future here and neither did any of those picks, most likely. At some point the guys in the locker room have to perform and no deadline acquisition changes that.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I think we come out as one of the bigger losers in this window. 8th best team in the conference before and the gap between us and the teams above only got bigger. On top of that we threw away picks for Johansson who has been hot garbage for years now.

Jun 15, 2007
I like the Larsson trade but the mojo trade is very stupid.

Jun 15, 2007
Can someone explain to me why FLA helped Carolina land Domi by retaining? They make their rival and another top contender stronger and only got a 6th round pick for it.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Yea I didn’t expect any major deals today that would drastically change the core. Lavi deserves a chance with the cap-heavy guys all healthy, and getting some cohesion on more fixed lines. And today’s deals don’t preclude CMM, AJF, or Snively from getting sweaters.

Plus, this team has had problems protecting leads all year - our “4th line” isn’t quite a shutdown line and actually generates a lot of scoring chances. So securing more defense in the bottom 6 might help.

I guess I’m more irritated that our rivals got guys like Rakell, Copp, Motte, Domi, Braun - and that we didn’t at least get one of them, as most weren’t too expensive.

But, we’re in a tough playoff position this year, and it’s probably good we kept our young guys and 1st and WPG’s 2nd. I hope if we’re one and done, then BMac really tries to shed salary and retool our core in the offseason.

Reactions: Jags

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I’m not sure I get the disappointment or surprise. BMac sat there a few weeks ago and said he thought we slipped from a bonafide contender this fall to a fringe second tier contender the past few months and that he didn’t think they’d earned any major moves at the deadline. The nice run in March moved the needle a bit probably but not that much.

To me it’s clear this summer will be the time for systemic changes if they flame out early again. He said he didn’t want to trade prospects because they’ll be playing here soon and he didn’t want to trade early picks this or next year either. A decent amount of cap space is opening up. He’s saving his ammunition for this summer.

I think BMac is thinking that this team has another shot to prove they can go far as constructed and if they don’t there will be significant changes this summer. Schultz, Eller, Samsonov, and Hagelin are all prime candidates to be gone this summer.

I’m fine with what they did. Sprong never had a future here and neither did any of those picks, most likely. At some point the guys in the locker room have to perform and no deadline acquisition changes that.
yep.

I think he did his best to give Laviolette a team that resembles the one he wants, and then after this summer it's going to be a lot harder to hide guys with 6-8 minutes if they don't see eye to eye. He did exactly what he said he would do

Peeri

Jan 13, 2016
Western Finland
Because I am a generous man!

Also I think he is going from star to nobody because he has a bad hip, not because he’s lazy or whatever.
Sure I understand that he has been recovering from injury, but i was talking in general. Guys like Toews or Benn and many others got paid for their previous accomplishments, not their current level of play and that will crush your team structure in the modern NHL where every dollar counts to the cap. Backstrom is no different. I love the dude and he has been a beast for capitals for years, but his contract is horrible there is no denying it.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I don’t doubt they got slightly better, mainly by adding Larsson who grades out as one of the best 4th liners in the league, as well as having someone Lavi actually can trust in Mojo which will disperse the ice time more evenly up front.

Just isn’t really the area they likely needed to get better in, as neither player will help much in terms of driving play offensively.

At least they didn’t give up anything of value. They’ll also be in a pretty good spot in the off-season, being able to dump Kempny/Schultz/Larsson/Mojo, possibly Eller and Samsonov as well, plug in CMM/AJF, and then hopefully have some space to add more of an impact middle 6 guy and a more cost effective 5/6D.

Uninspiring, but I don’t really look at any of the deals today and wish GMBM were in on them, pending Copp’s return.
I’m with you. Glad we didn’t sell the farm. There want anything out there that I really wanted that bad. People clamoring over Domi, who is a defensive liability is kinda funny. I have 100 dollars that people would have hated him come playoff time.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
I think we come out as one of the bigger losers in this window. 8th best team in the conference before and the gap between us and the teams above only got bigger. On top of that we threw away picks for Johansson who has been hot garbage for years now.

Ya pretty terrible day for GMBM. He overpaid for MOJO and then you see the prices paid Rakell, Domi, etc which weren’t very high.

Core is old and window is closing. They owed it to Ovechkin to do something and the best they did was overpaying for a washed up MOJO and acquiring a 4th liner.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I like our deals. We didn't give up any high value prospects or picks, get depth with experience and someone we're all used to. Mojo can play different positions, not defensively terrible, can score playoff goals, and has lots of NHL experience. I never hated the guy and sorry he missed out on 2018. If he can produce the run he had with Boston in 2019, it will be exciting. As for Larsson we're getting NHL experience depth in case we star losing guys again. I know folks wanted big names, but this year was an expensive price for those type of players. Nobody, not even TB is a certain to win the cup. Let's enjoy the ride now and then we can discuss offseason changes. We can still play guys like AJF, McMichael, Protas, Leason, etc if needed.
Almost for me. It's the deal that didn't happen regarding our goaltending. VV has improved, while Sammy digressed for another season. VV has been playing a lot better than expected, but in combination with Sammy our goaltending going into the playoffs is still fragile. It wouldn't have hurt to bring in at the least Craig Anderson again. VV/Sammy spoke highly of Anderson from what they were learning from him. Just baffling to me that we will go into the playoffs for a 2nd year in a row with 2 goalies who have never won a playoff game. That is some hard pressure for any young goalie to deal with.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
The Rakell deal is driving me nuts, as now everyone is picking the Pens to win the Metro. As if they really needed more scoring, he’s now penciled in to play with Malkin. We probably didn’t have the players the Ducks wanted to get a deal - still, that is the one move really bugging me.

It must be nice to be PIT, having Jarry, and just being able to attack with 3 lines knowing he’ll make 40 saves.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Ya pretty terrible day for GMBM. He overpaid for MOJO and then you see the prices paid Rakell, Domi, etc which weren’t very high.

Core is old and window is closing. They owed it to Ovechkin to do something and the best they did was overpaying for a washed up MOJO and acquiring a 4th liner.
Pens gave up two players with salary(Aston-Reese and Simon), a 2nd and another prospect for a rental. I wouldn't exactly say that is nothing. Sprong scored 8 goals and became a consistent scratch. He was not good developing any chemistry with any players on the team, which is the same problems he had sticking with the Ducks/Pens. The 4th round and 6th round picks are crap shoot picks. Those picks have a low probability of becoming NHL players. If you look at a lot of teams at this deadline, they all mostly overpaid for who they traded for.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012

If he did absolutely nothing, I would have shrugged my shoulders and said 'whatever'. It's this directionless, useless moves just for the sake of making a move. Moves that have become a trend, by the way.

Not only that but I'd bet a couple of bucks that this is the end CMM's season, barring injuries. I'll get to watch Marcus f********g Johansson instead. Not happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad