Post-Game Talk: 2022 NHL TRADE DEADLINE - 3 PM 3/21 - TSN, ESPN+ 8 AM, NHLN/SN 10 AM, NESN 2:30 PM

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1647667871942.png

TSN TRADE TRACKER

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
You’re overthinking it IMO. Trade deadline is a wild ride. No GM wants to lose a trade. JT Miller/ Horvat/ Kessel/ Chychrun/ etc etc all rumored available yet didn’t move. Sweeney would have been an idiot not to take the opportunity to open up cap space when presented with the opportunity. Forward acquisition or not he put himself in position to have that option. I’m no Sweeney apologist but I like the trade.
If the shoe fits.

I mean he was the one who signed Moore to his contract and then had to give up future assets to another team just for them to take him off his hands, like Backes and Belesky before him.

Reactions: Bodit9

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
You’re overthinking it IMO. Trade deadline is a wild ride. No GM wants to lose a trade. JT Miller/ Horvat/ Kessel/ Chychrun/ etc etc all rumored available yet didn’t move. Sweeney would have been an idiot not to take the opportunity to open up cap space when presented with the opportunity. Forward acquisition or not he put himself in position to have that option. I’m no Sweeney apologist but I like the trade.
You can like acquiring Lindholm and also think it’s a giant mis step forking over extra assets to create cap space that didn’t get used.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
If the shoe fits.

I mean he was the one who signed Moore to his contract and then had to give up future assets to another team just for them to take him off his hands, like Backes and Belesky before him.
Every team has their regrettable contracts. Some of you are sounding like Leaf fans. Just whining to whine

Reactions: Ladyfan and PB37

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Every team has their regrettable contracts. Some of you are sounding like Leaf fans. Just whining to whine
Nope not it at all. and u say "Sweeney would have been an idiot not to take the opportunity to open up cap space when presented with the opportunity", your right but he also didn't take advantage of it which kind of in my mind fits the idiot bill and is mind boggling considering all the assets he gave up to land lindholm, and in the end their still looking at one round and out, when he himself opened the door to improve their chances for a cup run this year only to close the door by not taking advantage of that cap space.

Last edited:

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
How could he trade for a forward without the cap space? And what exactly was the cost of having Anaheim retaining? Has it been disclosed?

1).Bruins had $6m is cap space after the Lindholm trade so there was cap space.

2). It’s been disclosed that Anaheim taking John Moore cost the bruins a 2nd round pick. As for how much more the 50% retained cost was exactly who knows, but it definitely factored into the overall price to acquire Lindholm and wasn’t just a free throw in.

Reactions: Coach Parker

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Nope not it at all. and u say "Sweeney would have been an idiot not to take the opportunity to open up cap space when presented with the opportunity", your right but he also didn't take advantage of it which kind of in my mind fits the idiot bill and is mind boggling considering all the assets he gave up to land lindholm, and in the end their still looking at one round and out, when he himself opened the door to improve their chances for a cup run this year only to close the door by not taking advantage of that cap space.
Pure hyperbole. We don’t know the inner workings of these negotiations. We’ve heard whispers Arizona wanted Swayman included for Chychrun. Considering some of the prices paid where do you draw the line for a top-6 forward? Is Lysell + a 1st too much for Conor Garland?

Which forward moved that you think Sweeney should’ve moved on? IMO I wanted a JT Miller/ Giroux/ Horvat etc. Bottom line Sweeney needed to be sure he was in position to add (cap wise) that type of talent. We don’t know what the cost was to retain on Lindholm.

Reactions: Grumpy Grizz

frankiess

Jan 31, 2019
I just don’t want to hear how Pastrnak is now not about the team when he rightfully asks for 11 million, Marchand 9 and Swayman 7. The days of hometown discounts in Boston just died on the Sweeney phone line and any RFA who signs a contract him will think twice after what just went down with DeBrusk.
Every player should get every dollar that they can get.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
You can only go by what the media reports and all reports indicated they were in on Giroux who blew them off, Lindholm who they got,
and Copp.

What exactly are you bitching about, like really?

I'm honestly looking from a player POV, didn't you read it? Cap space not used and somehow DeBrusk signed away his QO and arbitration today. I'm sure we're about to hear about that. This is the franchise with the reputation of being cheap.

I like their moves. I really do. But I'm not a player in that dressingroom that left money on the table for them to add players and that money was left on that table today.

I also didn't sign a RFA contract today thinking I was going to be traded and didn't get moved.

Those to moments make it easy for players to question Boston over all other teams. Now let's see how today really went down and how the Bruins are significantly under the cap and re-signed their unhappy RFA.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
He was doing a whole bunch of bitching about what just went down
this deadline. All the media reports indicate multiple trade offers.
Quit f****** whining.

This wasn't whining. This was an examination of today's move from a players' possible POV and always cognizant of the past 'cheap' Bruins well-established reputation.

Like it or not, they are a playoff team well under the cap because the players at the top were convinced to take less for the betterment of the team.

Also, somehow Jake DeBrusk just signed away his QO and arbitration rights.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
there was no deal to be had without a signed deal. His agent had perm for weeks to get a deal with other teams. All we know is the Sabres offer.
But taking a 10% reduced from QO deal with no bonuses , no trade restrictions l it was hoped would grease the skids. Apparently not enough acceptable interest at this time.

Will see again come June.

Thanks GW. Do we know how DeBrusk feels about signing away all these negotiation rights?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Thanks GW. Do we know how DeBrusk feels about signing away all these negotiation rights?

He agreed to it.
He not only agreed to it but signed 10% below QO.
Pretty evident to me that his agent couldnt get a deal and advised the kid to sign off on a reduced contract. His best strategy is to play his as off and hopefully someone will bite come June.

My gut tells me this kid got bad advice from somewhere.

Babajingo

1).Bruins had $6m is cap space after the Lindholm trade so there was cap space.

2). It’s been disclosed that Anaheim taking John Moore cost the bruins a 2nd round pick. As for how much more the 50% retained cost was exactly who knows, but it definitely factored into the overall price to acquire Lindholm and wasn’t just a free throw in.
#2. Thats what I can't understand. The only reason for moving Moore was to create some cap space.
- If that cost a 2nd and then he didn't use the $? What a fool.
- If he had other plans and they didn't pull through, then that's on him for not finishing the deal.
- His last option is to use the $ in the off season to sign someone. Well the 3.5 mill cap space will get you another Haula/Forbert/Reilly/Nosek/Foligno/Smith. Woooot

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I remember being told that Boston had some of the most flexibility when it came to trade deadline cap space so expect them to be active.

Then Lindholm gets picked up and the cap situation was still golden. Almost unchanged.

Trade deadline comes and teams that apparently didn't have flexibility made moves to fill holes while Boston missed out.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
#2. Thats what I can't understand. The only reason for moving Moore was to create some cap space.
- If that cost a 2nd and then he didn't use the $? What a fool.
- If he had other plans and they didn't pull through, then that's on him for not finishing the deal.
- His last option is to use the $ in the off season to sign someone. Well the 3.5 mill cap space will get you another Haula/Forbert/Reilly/Nosek/Foligno/Smith. Woooot

Moore was under contract for another year. That cap space will still be there this summer when ( hopefully ) Bergeron resigns.

I don't think this was the ultimate plan, more of a built in fall back. I think they did try to get another player in. Rakell didn't want to resign here. Giroux wanted his Vitamin D. Copp price tag was too much. Nobody else moved their rumored available forwards, meaning prices were beyond what teams were willing to give up.

The way I look at it, Bruins will wake up the day after the deadline with it's best player locked up for 8 years and all their best prospects still in tow.

Babajingo

Moore was under contract for another year. That cap space will still be there this summer when ( hopefully ) Bergeron resigns.

I don't think this was the ultimate plan, more of a built in fall back. I think they did try to get another player in. Rakell didn't want to resign here. Giroux wanted his Vitamin D. Copp price tag was too much. Nobody else moved their rumored available forwards, meaning prices were beyond what teams were willing to give up.

The way I look at it, Bruins will wake up the day after the deadline with it's best player locked up for 8 years and all their best prospects still in tow.
I'm ok with the Hampus signing. Their D is locked up for the next 5 years with him, McAvoy and Carlo. The rest can be filled with Lohrei (hopefully) or some other not-so-expensive guys.

The part I can't understand is getting rid of Moore's salary at the cost of a 2nd round pick (if that's the case). Bruins will be lucky if they get past the 2nd round. In the end, his 2.7 mill doesn't matter. Sure it comes off next years cap but its not a big enough dent to get anyone worth while.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Pure hyperbole. We don’t know the inner workings of these negotiations. We’ve heard whispers Arizona wanted Swayman included for Chychrun. Considering some of the prices paid where do you draw the line for a top-6 forward? Is Lysell + a 1st too much for Conor Garland?

Which forward moved that you think Sweeney should’ve moved on? IMO I wanted a JT Miller/ Giroux/ Horvat etc. Bottom line Sweeney needed to be sure he was in position to add (cap wise) that type of talent. We don’t know what the cost was to retain on Lindholm.
Then you don't trade away another 2nd if you didn't have another deal in place. Id rather have that second and Moore for a playoff run

Reactions: Bodit9

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Was it reported that the 2nd was for retention?? I must’ve missed that.

Frank Seravalli: “In addition to retaining 50% on Lindholm, #NHLDucks are also taking on D John Moore’s contract as part of the deal. That’s why there is an extra 2nd round pick in there.”

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Our team is airtight solid. Playoffs are a different animal. No space no air. Bring it on ! I got what donny did . Its our D and goaltending vs whatever explosive firepower there is. Bring it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad