2022 NHL Entry Draft Part 4 (#9, #16, #28)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

I wonder what Chris thinks the Sabres are thinking with regards to Nazar.

With as many picks as we have in this draft -- high, mid, and low in the first round, and others beyond that -- it stands to reason that we woudl be interviewing almost every prospect available. So I think the list of who we did NOT end up interviewing would be FAR more instructive than who we did interview :)

Reactions: Fjordy and Jacob582

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

I couldn't care less about whether he (or any other prospect) participates in the performance/fitness testing.

The two most important things at the combine are the player interviews, and the medical testing.

The medical testing is what will tell us if there are any structural/physical issues or limitations with players when we're trying to project how much room they have for growth in terms of not only overall size/strength/frame, but more importantly to what degree with think they can improve in specific aspects of the game (like skating). That's where the rubber meets the road.

p.s. I still love Lekkerimaki ;)

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Just finished a rewatch of the u18s medal games. Interesting what perspective gives you.

Cooley is amazing. I think I still like Slaf (size) and Wright (head) a little better but it’s way closer than I thought it was.

I’m really not sure what I didn’t like about Gauthier’s game. I think when I saw him earlier in the season, he wasn’t playing with Cooley and he was the primary play driver on his line. In the U18s his role was to both find space for Cooley to get him the puck, or create space for Cooley and Snuggerud and he was masterful at it. Just an all around great player. People say Kreider, and I see that comp, but he also reminds me a little of Jamie Benn, and, to a lesser extent, Dylan Larkin (blessed is he). Just an absolute slam dunk for me as the sixth best prospect in this draft (at least).

Nazar is good. Howard got the goals but Nazar made them. He’s pretty slight for the type of game he plays, but I think he’ll be successful.

Snuggerud is super underrated. It’s probably just that there’s so much talent you think, “the secondary guys must just be riding coattails”. But no, Snuggerud reminds me of Matt Boldy, not really in style of play (although a little of that too), but in that everybody that year was so focused on Hughes, Zegras, Caufield that Boldy flew under the radar a bit, but Sungs is legit. Really strong power game and way better hands than I’d previously given him credit for. Decent wheels too. He’s not a burner but, he kept up with Gauthier and Cooley fine.

Chesley is such a good player. The way he plays, you just know he’ll be a 15 year NHLer. Calm, and quick thinking, good feet, just physical enough. I really hope he makes it to 28.

Seamus Casey, if he were 2 inches taller, would be a top 15 pick. Guys you say that about almost always outplay their draft position. If Chesley is gone, I’d be ok with Casey at 28, although 41 would be better.

Lane Hutson. Now, if this guy were 6 foot, he’d be a top 5 pick maybe. Insane edges. Guys with his profile almost never work out, but he’s so much fun to watch. I predict he blows the doors off the NCAA next year at BU.

Liam Ohgren. Stone cold stud. No weaknesses to his game. Not a game breaker, but he’s the kind of player that just makes everybody better. My top target at 16.

Lekkieramaki. No thanks at 9. He’s skilled but he does that thing that I think a lot of high skilled busts do where he skates himself into trouble constantly and then tries to rely on his skill to bail him out. It’s not going to work at higher levels unless you’re Patrick Kane.

Ostlund. I like him ok, but I don’t see the dynamic player that others seem to. He’s heady, sure, and he’s got some nice hands, good edges. I just don’t see anything special.

Havelid/Odelius: I like both these players, and maybe I just can’t evaluate D, but I don’t like them better than any of the top 4 US guys. They are both just so soft on the puck.

Kulich. What’s not to like? He’s not quite in that 2nd tier of players that we should be targeting at 16, but he’s not far off. Great shot. Plays hard on the puck. Wouldn’t be the worst at 16.

Sopavaliv. I really like this player. He seems like a kid that really knows what he’s supposed to be doing. A 3rd line center type with a bit of skill? Can’t go wrong with guys like that in the 2nd-3rd round.

Edit: thank god for DVR. But also, thank you to my wife for not freaking out on me that our dvr is like always at capacity with 6 month old hockey games.

Fantastic write up! And thanks for sharing.

I agree with literally everything you said except for Sapovaliv. I was underwhelmed with him personally. But if he's there in the 3rd round, I won't be upset if we take a chane on him. I just think there are better guys for a similar role at #41 and higher (and likely some who slip into the 3rd round where we pick). Definitely would be good to add bottom 6 C depth, though.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I don't think i've seen anyone not have Jiricek and Nemec 1/2. Maybe someone thinks they can get Adam Fox with one of the other guys but I just haven't seen that really vocalized.

I know, and that is why it is such a "hot take" ;)

I'm not saying for sure it will happen, but I do think it's a legit question because we know for certain there will be surprises in and around the top 10 of this draft, as there are in most drafts.

I just wonder between Jiricek not being the best skater, coupled with the huge rise of a guy like Korchinski and the very alluring skill of some other guys like Mintyukov and Pickering, if some team may just have one of those other guys ranked 1 spot on their D list ahead of Jiricek.

Also, since we know this is a copycat league, I can see teams really wanting to go after the new archetype of Dman like the Makar's and Josi's of this world, in terms of being guys who really drive play at even strength from the back end with skating, skills and that rover type, high-end playmaking game. I see Nemec as someone who fits in that mould, but Jiricek is more of that traditional type of two-way Dman with a big shot and PP ability.

So this was just a fun guess of a few surprises I'm trying to anticipate as being realistic. I don't see Nemec not being the first Dman taken, unless somehow Jiricek goes ahead of him, because I think Nemec is a clear cut above and will be loved by all teams. However, I could see Jiricek having a bit more of a split where some teams may have another player ranked ahead of him. Let's see if I'm right or look like a total idiot at the end lol :DD

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Gauthier, Yurov/McGroaty, Chesley is the dream draft for me (assuming Jiricek and Nemec are gone of course)

9. Gauthier
16. Yurov
28. Miroshenko
41. Chelsey

Update for all ye fellow Gauthier lovers...

Cutter (still can't believe that's his first name lol) was interviewed on the Athletic podcast. The noteworthy thing here is that not only did he say he prefers playing C and feels more comfortable and dominant at that position, but he said that virtually every NHL team he interviewed with sees him as a C, and furthermore, he received confirmation from Boston College that they're going to be playing him at C next year.

So for a guy who was a fast riser anyway and we've wondered whether teams see him as a C or W, this just indicates to me that he's going to go VERY high in this draft. It's not going to be Connor Geekie who's that big C who goes early for a team desperate for one, but Gauthier instead.

So I don't think there's any question about whethe he falls to 9. I think the question is if he makes it past the top 5.

Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Update for all ye fellow Gauthier lovers...

Cutter (still can't believe that's his first name lol) was interviewed on the Athletic podcast. The noteworthy thing here is that not only did he say he prefers playing C and feels more comfortable and dominant at that position, but he said that virtually every NHL team he interviewed with sees him as a C, and furthermore, he received confirmation from Boston College that they're going to be playing him at C next year.

So for a guy who was a fast riser anyway and we've wondered whether teams see him as a C or W, this just indicates to me that he's going to go VERY high in this draft. It's not going to be Connor Geekie who's that big C who goes early for a team desperate for one, but Gauthier instead.

So I don't think there's any question about whethe he falls to 9. I think the question is if he makes it past the top 5.

it was never going to be Geekie because brother is a terrible skater. My only real hope with our picks is that we don’t take him.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I know, and that is why it is such a "hot take" ;)

I'm not saying for sure it will happen, but I do think it's a legit question because we know for certain there will be surprises in and around the top 10 of this draft, as there are in most drafts.

I just wonder between Jiricek not being the best skater, coupled with the huge rise of a guy like Korchinski and the very alluring skill of some other guys like Mintyukov and Pickering, if some team may just have one of those other guys ranked 1 spot on their D list ahead of Jiricek.

Also, since we know this is a copycat league, I can see teams really wanting to go after the new archetype of Dman like the Makar's and Josi's of this world, in terms of being guys who really drive play at even strength from the back end with skating, skills and that rover type, high-end playmaking game. I see Nemec as someone who fits in that mould, but Jiricek is more of that traditional type of two-way Dman with a big shot and PP ability.

So this was just a fun guess of a few surprises I'm trying to anticipate as being realistic. I don't see Nemec not being the first Dman taken, unless somehow Jiricek goes ahead of him, because I think Nemec is a clear cut above and will be loved by all teams. However, I could see Jiricek having a bit more of a split where some teams may have another player ranked ahead of him. Let's see if I'm right or look like a total idiot at the end lol :DD

Man, if Jiricek falls to 9 I hope Adams doesn't overthink it.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
it was never going to be Geekie because brother is a terrible skater. My only real hope with our picks is that we don’t take him.

There was a lot of buzz among some insiders & scouting guys/reporters that some teams had Geekie in their top 5 specifically, and others who stated in general that they believed from other scouts they talked to that Geekie would go top 10 somewhere.

Even hockeyprospect.com (the best independent scouting service by far) had Geekie 2nd overall on their March list. I'll be fascinated to see how far he drops in their final list due out within the next few weeks, because I'm sure he won't still be #2.

With the combination of Geekie falling and Gauthier rising, some team may still step up and take Geekie top 10-12 range, but Gauthier seems to have solidly overtaken him as the big C that a team will step up and take in the top 5 or 6 picks. That would likely put him ahead of one or both of Nemec & jiricek, and ahead of Kemell, Savoie and others who have been ranked in that range in the recent past.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Med .. health.. not what it seems.. take michinenko. If not 28.. consider 16 and trade up to 33 if he makes to second.. he'll be fine. Him and huglen could be like 2 top 5 picks for 2023 4 year to compete top six if..if. Great bets if you have extra high picks and four seconds w this and next year.. was russians need pal roommates , take good care of miri and polta.. look pilut already begging back . Good problems.

if either miri or huglen even rosenshines brightly solves so many future problems . And screams destination for a run w 18 plus top skilled competing Maybe roc line miri polta and risen w bloom nadeau..huglen what goalie wouldn't fall over himself if 6 7 lines push for top 9 next two years.

And w that the sales job gets easier for two three honorable high end d , g and a wing .. gets way easier while tough to reach cao even paying all plus tage uncaged and payed and dahlin buying the top floor at lecom.

Good chess on the cheap w KA.. buy 3 vets high compete and honor.. wow. I like andersen as back up w hips 6 k pushing from roc..
Juricheck/ cutter and ostlen/kennel water bug and snugerude/ ohgren type w d and goalie and skilled longshots and bruiser to all grow up w key couple character top 9 and top top4 Letang w MAF or one of three competent goalies staring at line up w a deep deep farm... Nice.

Last edited:

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Med .. health.. not what it seems.. take michinenko. If not 28.. consider 16 and trade up to 33 if he makes to second.. he'll be fine. Him and huglen could be like 2 top 5 picks for 2023 4 year to compete top six if..if. Great bets if you have extra high picks and four seconds w this and next year.. was russians need pal roommates , take good care of miri and polta.. look pilut already begging back . Good problems.

if either miri or huglen even rosenshines brightly solves so many future problems . And screams destination for a run w 18 plus top skilled competing Maybe roc line miri polta and risen w bloom nadeau..huglen what goalie wouldn't fall over himself if 6 7 lines push for top 9 next two years.

And w that the sales job gets easier for two three honorable high end d , g and a wing .. gets way easier while tough to reach cao even paying all plus tage uncaged and payed and dahlin buying the top floor at lecom.

Good chess on the cheap w KA.. buy 3 vets high compete and honor.. wow. I like andersen as back up w hips 6 k pushing from roc..
Juricheck/ cutter and ostlen/kennel water bug and snugerude/ ohgren type w d and goalie and skilled longshots and bruiser to all grow up w key couple character top 9 and top top4 Letang w MAF or one of three competent goalies staring at line up w a deep deep farm... Nice.

Respectfully, and with no offense meant, were you drunk when you wrote this? That’s one of the hardest posts I’ve ever tried to read on these boards lol ;)

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Were you drunk when you thought it was a good idea to attempt to read his post? ;)

LOL.

No, I wasn’t drunk this morning after waking up, having my coffee and opening up this thread and saw that post. BUT….I think I’m going to have to get flat out hammered drunk tonight after dinner and then try to read it again and see if it makes any more sense. :laugh:

Reactions: Jacob582

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

That's interesting. Seems like you always hear that most GM's aren't around by Saturday.

With three 1st round draft pick, it's a good bet that they draft at least one of those listed.

Last edited:

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
Jiricek will fall and we won't draft him ala 2016 when chrychrun/sergachev/Mcavoy came to us and we drafted nylander

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
1654362517329.png

Speaking of Mittelstadt...

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events