2022 NHL Entry Draft Part 4 (#9, #16, #28)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Which is wear the interviews with him (and with the people around his different club teams in the Liiga, etc....) are important. Right now, we just don't know how that's going to shake out.
Yes, more information is needed and I think Adams will be more informed than we are. But the fact that he changes teams so often and constantly played Liiga is not good, maybe the father unintentionally spoils the development of his son, maybe it would be better for Lambert to play in juniors.
This gets me every time. William took a team friendly deal in Toronto.

Michael was a great leader and always took part in the WC when he could which is huge in Sweden. Especially at the time when hockey was still popular. When Forsberg and Sundin struggled Nylander was truly clutch.

How come the Nylander's have such a poor reputation in america? I really don't understand it.

How mych of a headache can a parent like Lambert's be, really?
Wasn't it like Nylander wanted to play in the AHL? Even if he wasn't ready for it yet. When a player or his family tells them where to play, this is unacceptable.
Why is it that or pick is 32 on the simulator? Its 28 now isn't it?
They just haven't updated the positions yet, so it's 32, not 28.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Yes, more information is needed and I think Adams will be more informed than we are. But the fact that he changes teams so often and constantly played Liiga is not good, maybe the father unintentionally spoils the development of his son, maybe it would be better for Lambert to play in juniors.

Wasn't it like Nylander wanted to play in the AHL? Even if he wasn't ready for it yet. When a player or his family tells them where to play, this is unacceptable.

They just haven't updated the positions yet, so it's 32, not 28.
In a swedish interview pre-draft he stated that he could play in the OHL, SHL and AHL but that he wanted his drafting team to give their opinion and help decide.

Rögle was (his SHL team) was a bit of a mess at the time.

It's very possible that he wanted to play in the AHL but I haven't found anything that supports that he demanded it.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Interestingly there's an article about San Jose's pick in which 2 NHL scouts are asked about the 11th pick, and apparently each indicated that they thought 6 players would defeintely be gone by 11: Wright, Slaf, Cooley, the 2 RDs and Gauthier

This is consistent with some of what we've heard elsewhere. For example, when the Athletic did their mock draft (and the DET beat writer selected Gauthier at #8), Pronman wrote that he sent their mock to some NHL scouts and execs to "audit" their mock and give their opinions. As it pertained to Gauthier, none of them thought he was taken too high and the one executive said Gauthier is sure to go ealier in the draft.

So Gauthier does seem to be in what's shaping up as the "consensus top 6. One would assume, based on rankings, that Kemell should also be added to that group, but given there were some scouts pre-U18s that had Lekkerimaki over Kemell, I wonder if Kemell is in what would be a "consensus top 7".

My 2 primary questions in the top 10-15 range are these:

- Does Kemell go top 7 and is he taken before Lekkerimaki, Yurov and other forwards (Savoie/Nazar/Snuggerud/etc.)?

- Is Jiricek really going to be the 2nd Dman selected in the draft, or is Korchinski or one of the other high end D (Pickering, Mintyukov, Rinzel) actually picked ahead of him. So even if Jiricek is top 10-11 as those SJS scouts suggested, is he the #2 Dman chosen?

It’s been discussed. Basically, his skating is poor because he has very poor technique. But, he’s from Nebraska and probably didn’t meet a real skating coach until he got to Plymouth. He’s not really heavy footed, he’s actually very athletic and twitchy. It’s like his feet are moving but getting him nowhere. Seems like a good candidate to dramatically improve skating with proper coaching. To that end, it seems he’s been training with Barb Underhill, who worked with the leafs and lightning in the past.

tldr; his current skating wouldn’t keep me from drafting him at 9 let alone 16.

If the opinion of our training staff & skating coach(es) are that McGroarty does not have any notable physical limitations and should be able to improve his skating substatially, I would not be surprised to see him go anywhere in that 7-15 range. So if he's that high on our list, taking him at 9 would not be a shocker at all.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Couple USNTDP options which I think are viable:

Gauthier makes it to 9, Sabres draft him.
Trade 16 and 41 to get to 10 if Nazar is available (a 3rd round pick comes back to make the trade even)
Trade 28 and 73 to move up for Snuggerud or McGroarty.

There's a few what ifs in there which are out of the Sabres control. Another idea.

Gauthier is selected before 9 (I think that'll happen)
9: Nazar (fills the center need)
16: Snuggerud
28 plus 73 to take McGroarty
41: hope Chesley falls, otherwise take BPA.

Both those trades add a lot of size and forward position versatility to the prospect pool.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I think this is an interesting take from the main board. Maybe its compulsion to be contrarian, but I think it makes sense.

People see him as some sort of high upside, boom or bust prospect. I’m gonna go against the grain here and kinda view him ultimately as kind of a safe bet to play in the NHL as kind of one of those super mid-six players. I think his speed and confidence with the puck will make him a valued asset at the next level but his lack of hockey IQ and awareness at times may hold him back from some top level upside. But in that super mid-six role where you just unleash his speed and let him control the puck and cause havoc - I can certainly see it. He can be a Corsi machine and if he develops a real defensive edge - he could be a 200’ hound who can throw in some moments of real skill.

If you can get that kind of player in the second half of the first round - you’ve done well.

- Is Jiricek really going to be the 2nd Dman selected in the draft, or is Korchinski or one of the other high end D (Pickering, Mintyukov, Rinzel) actually picked ahead of him. So even if Jiricek is top 10-11 as those SJS scouts suggested, is he the #2 Dman chosen?
I don't think i've seen anyone not have Jiricek and Nemec 1/2. Maybe someone thinks they can get Adam Fox with one of the other guys but I just haven't seen that really vocalized.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I think this is an interesting take from the main board. Maybe its compulsion to be contrarian, but I think it makes sense.

I don't think i've seen anyone not have Jiricek and Nemec 1/2. Maybe someone thinks they can get Adam Fox with one of the other guys but I just haven't seen that really vocalized.
Sounds like he's comparing Lambert to someone like Haglin? I can see that.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

I wonder what Chris thinks the Sabres are thinking with regards to Nazar.

I think Detroit and Buffalo will go off the board a bit since the rankings open way up after the 6th pick. Think Quinn and Rosen, Seider, Edvinsson. They don't really go "off board" completely, but they do seem to buck consensus.

Anyway, I'm happy to hear it about Nazar and Lambert -- I'd find it hardest to get excited about them two.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
I'd be very surprised if GMKA packaged any picks to move up. No one we draft will be NHL ready anyway, we can use the offseason to get immediate impact players.

displacedsabre

Feb 14, 2016
Hoping for Nazar at 9. I’m good with Rutger (Id even consider him at 9, if Kemell and Lekk were the other options ) or Ohgren at 16. Then best D available at 28 and 41

Reactions: elchud and Fjordy

Lloydchristmas138

Aug 3, 2010
Sounds like he's comparing Lambert to someone like Haglin? I can see that.
Nichushkin also came to mind when I read that. I can agree with that too; his skating, defensive play and puck control should ensure at least a bottom 6 role in the NHL. If he gets confidence back or it just starts to click then you could have a lot more too.

Lloydchristmas138

Aug 3, 2010
I’m starting to get this gut feeling of McGroarty at 9. Size, leadership and skill. Sounds like he was somewhat miscast to the wing at the national program and that if he can make some improvements to his skating you’re looking at a special player.

Lekkerimaki is becoming one of my favorites of the Kemell/Nazar/Savoie/Lekk grouping of smaller forwards. My only concern is that we already have that player in Quinn, but that’s not a bad problem to have really.

RhinoFan

May 28, 2016
Savoie at 9
Kasper at 16
Luneau at 28

If this is how it shakes out, what grade would you give Adams?

displacedsabre

Feb 14, 2016
Savoie at 9
Kasper at 16
Luneau at 28

Id love that.

My preferences assuming (expected top 5 and Cutter are gone) is Savoie, Nazar, then I dont really care. I actually like Rutger as much as Kemell and Lekk personally.
16. My faves are Rutger, then Ohgren and Kasper
28, Luneau would be ideal, Chesley is another. If they arent here im good with Rinzel and Warren there as well

Reactions: RhinoFan

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
Savoie at 9
Kasper at 16
Luneau at 28

Grade: C-
Two things are worrying about Savoie. The first is his lack of 5 on 5 production on a deep, talented team. The second is his history of concussions.
Kasper is very solid at 16. That's a win.
Luneau isn't a first round pick, in my opinion. Given that there are players who drop every draft, I think there will be higher upside candidates available.

RhinoFan

May 28, 2016
Id love that.

My preferences assuming (expected top 5 and Cutter are gone) is Savoie, Nazar, then I dont really care. I actually like Rutger as much as Kemell and Lekk personally.
16. My faves are Rutger, then Ohgren and Kasper
28, Luneau would be ideal, Chesley is another. If they arent here im good with Rinzel and Warren there as well
Like a lot of this^^, especially around 16. Seems almost everyone is on board with the idea of BPA at 9, forward at 16, and the best RHD left at 28. I wouldn't even mind taking another righty in the second round, just don't know much about Rinzel or Warren other than they're big.

Last edited:

RhinoFan

May 28, 2016
Grade: C-
Two things are worrying about Savoie. The first is his lack of 5 on 5 production on a deep, talented team. The second is his history of concussions.
Kasper is very solid at 16. That's a win.
Luneau isn't a first round pick, in my opinion. Given that there are players who drop every draft, I think there will be higher upside candidates available.
I know Savoie got blown up by Lohrei and missed time, but he's had more?

Edit: just found the vid of the 2019 hit, yowzers...nvm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad