2022 NHL Entry Draft - Kraken Edition

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I think moving any of our top-3 picks from last year draft is not something I want to get behind. Obviously Beniers is as close to untouchable as there is for the Kraken but Evans is our only legit top-4 two-way D-man for the future right now. With Gio gone it would be good to give Dunn some help in that aspect.

There are multiple ways we can acquire good assets between now and next season.

1) UFA. Go big or go home. I agree that medium level players is not going to cut it for us. We already have enough of that.
2) Flip assets acquired this TDL and see what you can get.
3) Flip our own picks.

3 is pretty much a no-go because we could end up being a lottery team again. But if a chance presents to flip our 2023 or 2024 pick in a package for a LEGIT player who fits both our our age requirements (under 25), is signed long-term or expires as an RFA I would consider it. The pick would need to be top-10 lottery protected.

1 is possible since we have cap space but presents 2 issues. The first being that players may not want to sign with a bottom-dwelling expansion team. The second being the age not being a fit/match for our team. Eg: Giroux, Pavelski, Letang, etc. Hertl, Forsberg and Gaudreau are slightly older but could immediately make the team better and are likely to contribute through the majority of their careers. That is pretty much a risk for any team that signs them but in todays age, GM's sometime need to make moves like that and worry about the future later. Or they may not even have a job if team continues to play poorly.

2, I feel, is the best option we have. If GMRF does a good job moving out some of our excess picks from this TDL and expansion draft, he could 'help' cap strapped teams by taking off some of their expensive contracts. Like others have pointed out, it is a buyers market so I don't expect all our expiring contracts get moved out, but Gio + Jarnkrok + M Jo + Fleury/Lauzon could give us enough picks that can be added to the current extra picks we have 2nd rounder 2023 and 4th rounders 2022 and 2023 to make atleast one legit acquisition.

I take everything GM's say with a grain of salt but based on the Seattle Times article, its hard to imagine that Francis would be okay with us being a bottom-5 pick next season. I would not be surprised at all if he makes a big splash this offseason in FA.

I understand the frustration and the impatience of this fan base not wanting to suffer through the same thing again next season, but I am still going to push the patience narrative here.

Successful drafting teams tend to prioritize quantity over quality outside of the top tier of a draft.

Given how last year's draft results are looking, I feel it would be counterproductive to limit the picks this management group can make given that drafting seems to be their strongest attribute.

Realistically, any young top 6/top paring talent that Francis would target is going to cost substantially more than a large sum of mid-round picks, and likely more than an uncertain 1st in a draft that is a couple of years away.

The team may be better off just using the picks to grow the farm with solid prospects, and the likelihood of one of those prospects hitting and becoming an allstar is not bad with the more picks you make.

This plan is dull, requires suffering through a few seasons of losing, and does not really get anyone excited, but it is proven and the most likely path to lead to long term success.
I understand the motives to try to cheat the long build timeline and make a splash early, but that rarely turns out well for the GMs that try it.

Reactions: sigma six

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I understand the frustration and the impatience of this fan base not wanting to suffer through the same thing again next season, but I am still going to push the patience narrative here.

Successful drafting teams tend to prioritize quantity over quality outside of the top tier of a draft.

Given how last year's draft results are looking, I feel it would be counterproductive to limit the picks this management group can make given that drafting seems to be their strongest attribute.

Realistically, any young top 6/top paring talent that Francis would target is going to cost substantially more than a large sum of mid-round picks, and likely more than an uncertain 1st in a draft that is a couple of years away.

The team may be better off just using the picks to grow the farm with solid prospects, and the likelihood of one of those prospects hitting and becoming an allstar is not bad with the more picks you make.

This plan is dull, requires suffering through a few seasons of losing, and does not really get anyone excited, but it is proven and the most likely path to lead to long term success.
I understand the motives to try to cheat the long build timeline and make a splash early, but that rarely turns out well for the GMs that try it.
Just to be clear. I am not advocating either a full tank or making a big acquisition in free agency. My opinion/speculation us based on what the article has quoted Francis saying. If you want to see improvement, band aid measures are not going to help unless the plan is to get a new coach. Taking on salary in a trade is probably the best 'quick' fix without giving up too much to acquire a good player.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Just to be clear. I am not advocating either a full tank or making a big acquisition in free agency. My opinion/speculation us based on what the article has quoted Francis saying. If you want to see improvement, band aid measures are not going to help unless the plan is to get a new coach. Taking on salary in a trade is probably the best 'quick' fix without giving up too much to acquire a good player.

Oh, I know. We are all just throwing ideas around here, trying to brainstorm a solution to this mess.

What i think we all seem to agree on is that the coaching has been more than a big portion of the issues.

With that in mind, i feel that if Francis is committed to Hakstol for another season, than he should just stay the course and except that tanking and high draft picks are in store for the franchise - which is not a bad plan for future success.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Oh, I know. We are all just throwing ideas around here, trying to brainstorm a solution to this mess.

What i think we all seem to agree on is that the coaching has been more than a big portion of the issues.

With that in mind, i feel that if Francis is committed to Hakstol for another season, than he should just stay the course and except that tanking and high draft picks are in store for the franchise - which is not a bad plan for future success.
If the team is in the same spot next season, I really hope Hakstol is gone. In my mind its unacceptable

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Hakstol is a major problem. The faster he is shown the door the better the team will get. Unstructured and undisciplined hockey is no fun to watch and has no future in Seattle.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Cooley
Wright
Slafkovsky
Savoie
Lambert
Jiricek
Nazar

At this time, I don't know if there is much separating my top-4:

Wright
Cooley
Slafkovsky
Nemec

I think if you pick in the top-4 this season, you may not get a superstar, but you are pretty sure to get a really good top-6 F or top-2 D. I would almost argue that the bottom half of my top-4 picks have a much higher ceiling or superstar potential than the top-2.

Reactions: Silkytentacles

Silkytentacles

Mar 9, 2021
Oregon
At this time, I don't know if there is much separating my top-4:

Wright
Cooley
Slafkovsky
Nemec

I think if you pick in the top-4 this season, you may not get a superstar, but you are pretty sure to get a really good top-6 F or top-2 D. I would almost argue that the bottom half of my top-4 picks have a much higher ceiling or superstar potential than the top-2.

I think Cooley certainly has first line center star potential he seems to be getting even better as the year goes on. I’m not counting out Wright yet. We’ve seen what he can do with that shot. It’s been a slow start but now he seems to be lighting it up now. I am skeptical about Nemec that high and personally would rather go with Jiricek if the choose to go defense. I see more upside with his offense. Has some great hands and has a bomb of a shot. Wish we could of seen more of him which makes it tougher.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Definitely disagree with Cooley being 4. The coachability thing is a bonus the probably the most consistent of the top 5. I think he’s the only guy fighting Wright for that top spot. Slafkovsky isn’t playing against as intense competition, but you can’t deny his Olympic impact. Wright, Cooley and Slafkovsky are my top 3.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Definitely disagree with Cooley being 4. The coachability thing is a bonus the probably the most consistent of the top 5. I think he’s the only guy fighting Wright for that top spot. Slafkovsky isn’t playing against as intense competition, but you can’t deny his Olympic impact. Wright, Cooley and Slafkovsky are my top 3.

What?
Compared to Cooley?

Cooley's playing in a juniors league while Slafkovsky's playing in Liiga, the finnish pro league.

Dawid In Chains

Oct 19, 2019
Poland
Hakstol is a major problem. The faster he is shown the door the better the team will get. Unstructured and undisciplined hockey is no fun to watch and has no future in Seattle.
We should tank with Haks at least for next year to get Bedard/Michkov and then get rid of him as soon as possible.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
We blew the expansion draft so we should build the team by getting the best young prospects possible. Bedard and Michkov are generational talents that would really help build something big in Seattle.
While everyone on our board would like to land one of those, tanking on purpose does not guarantee anything. There is a lottery in place just for that reason.

Also, what do you go tell the players? Stop skating? Tell the goalies not to stop pucks to the net? Do you think players want to stick around on a team that is purposefully tanking? Or sign here as FA's?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I just meant that if we stay with Hakstol for next year the high pick will come to us by itself ;)
Ofcourse there is chance that happens. But after all that Francis said a few weeks ago, I do not think that is an option. If he follows through and lands some assets for us in FA or via trades, he would expect Hakstol to do a better job next season. If not, I would not be surprised if he fires Hakstol 20+ games into next season.

This is a tricky situation because if ownership actually expects improvement next season, and the team does not improve, it would be Francis on the hot seat as well as Hakstol. However, if that interview was just a smoke screen and ownership is fine waiting another season to see the team improve, I would expect us to make no additions on the roster next season outside of bottom-6 F or bottom-2 D and keep Hakstol on. That would definitely signal a 'tank' in my mind.

Personally, as much as it hates for me to admit it, I would go with the latter option. As others have said, the FA market and/or trade is unlikely to do enough to make us a playoff team next season. There are just not enough good pieces available in the FA market and we don't have enough trade chips to land a significant roster piece unless it comes at the cost of mortgaging our future. However, I just don't see it happening. Based on what I have seen/read so far, the ownership has been ok with this season being bad but they definitely appear to see an improvement next season. And that means no Mitchkov or Bedard.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Be nice to win this years lottery. Wright, Beniers, Winterton. Hell of a start for the franchise.
Yeah. I think if things work out as expected Wright and Beniers down the middle would cover our 1C and 2C for years to come but honestly either Slaf or Cooley would work out great as well if they end up coming close to how they are projected. Our 2023-24 roster is going to be interesting. Based on currently signed players (atleast through 2023-24) and the 1st round draft picks from 2021 and 2022:

Schwartz (W)
Eberle (W)
Gourde (C)
McCann (C)
Beniers (C)
Slaf/Cooley/Wright (W/C/C)
Wennberg (C)
Tanev (W)

Eberle is the only question mark here with regards to keeping him on the roster but this off-season will be telling because if we sign a true top-6 F, Eberle could easily be moved out. Our success in 2023-24 could be predicated on how Beniers and Slaf/Cooley/Wright step into the top-9 by then but I would be very surprised if we are not fighting for a playoff spot in 2023-24.

Reactions: NiagaraKraken

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We blew the expansion draft so we should build the team by getting the best young prospects possible. Bedard and Michkov are generational talents that would really help build something big in Seattle.

Care to explain how they blew the expansion draft? Passing on 3 goal Voracek? Using the Domi money, 5.3M cap, to sign Schwartz, 5.5M cap, instead? Were they supposed to waste cap on a useless player like Ladd just to get some late 2nd's?

You can make an argument on Tarasenko but he was coming off two straight years of being shutdown due to injury. You also got a young offensive minded LD who you hope to have for many years.

Reactions: NiagaraKraken

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
With Ottawa losing Chabot for the rest of the year, I expect their level of play drops a bit. They are expected to get Batherson back soon though so that should help. My guess is that the stiffest competition for us from a top pick is going to be Montreal but the Devils and Flyers are trending pretty badly too and we may pass them in the standings. I expect the bottom-5 to be some combination of the Canadiens, Kraken, Flyers, Devils and Ottawa.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
With Ottawa losing Chabot for the rest of the year, I expect their level of play drops a bit. They are expected to get Batherson back soon though so that should help. My guess is that the stiffest competition for us from a top pick is going to be Montreal but the Devils and Flyers are trending pretty badly too and we may pass them in the standings. I expect the bottom-5 to be some combination of the Canadiens, Kraken, Flyers, Devils and Ottawa.
And the Devils are eligible for the 1st pick again, which wasn’t the case the last 2 drafts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad