2022 NHL Entry Draft - Kraken Edition

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Slavkofsky really helped his stock, which was quite high already, during those Olympics.

Helping lead Slovakia to a bronze medal and showing a lot of things that every NHL GM and scout will drool over.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Slavkofsky really helped his stock, which was quite high already, during those Olympics.

Helping lead Slovakia to a bronze medal and showing a lot of things that every NHL GM and scout will drool over.
Yeah. I know. On the other hand Kemell has been pointless for his last 11 games. 9 of them in Liiga and 2 in the WJC-20. It's interesting because I think the top-tier is changing.

Wright
Cooley
Nemec
Slavkofsky
Savoie

Those 5 looks like really good options to have and if I could walk away from the draft with any of those it would be great. The more I read about Savoie though, the more I realize that he is a higher-risk because of his floor not being as high as the other players on that list. He may have the highest ceiling among them too but there is a bit of a risk going with him.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Yeah. I know. On the other hand Kemell has been pointless for his last 11 games. 9 of them in Liiga and 2 in the WJC-20. It's interesting because I think the top-tier is changing.

Wright
Cooley
Nemec
Slavkofsky
Savoie

Those 5 looks like really good options to have and if I could walk away from the draft with any of those it would be great. The more I read about Savoie though, the more I realize that he is a higher-risk because of his floor not being as high as the other players on that list. He may have the highest ceiling among them too but there is a bit of a risk going with him.

Kemell had an insane start to the season and was basically scoring every time he shot the puck.
Pretty normal that he can't keep that up.

BTW: I would extend the list to top seven, given the way other teams around us are performing(or completely have written off the season) and with the fact that we could always move down a spot or two during the lottery.

After that I do like:
Kemell
Jiricek
Yurov
Lambert
Lekkerimäki

Though, Lambert still hasn't produced anything in Liiga so far this season, even after changing teams again.
Also, Conor Geekie has looked better as of late.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I think 2 of the Flyers, Sabres and Devils could pass us in the standings. That being said, the way we have been playing for the last few games, maybe not.

Meanwhile the Habs seem to want to win, so it’s a race to next to last for the Kraken and the teams you mention and the Hans unless they keep winning, which seems nuts. I don’t see any of the teams you mention winning, and I certainly don’t see Seattle winning either.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Meanwhile the Habs seem to want to win, so it’s a race to next to last for the Kraken and the teams you mention and the Hans unless they keep winning, which seems nuts. I don’t see any of the teams you mention winning, and I certainly don’t see Seattle winning either.

I think there is a chance that the Sabres don't fall below us but the Flyers and Devils will certainly give it all they have got. It will be interesting to see how the standings look like after the next 6 games:

Bruins
Sharks
Predators
Capitals
Hurricanes
Leafs

The Sharks are a winnable game and a team we are 2-0 against this season but the others are going to be a challenge to say the least.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
The Puck Authority’s 2022 NHL Draft Mid-Season Rankings

1. Shane Wright, Center – Kingston (OHL) [EVEN]
2. Logan Cooley, Center – USNTDP (USHL) [+3]
3. Simon Nemec, Defenseman – HK Nitra (Slovakia) [+8]
4. Matthew Savoie, Center – Winnipeg (WHL) [-2]
5. Joakim Kemell, Right Wing – JYP (Liiga) [+6]
6. Juraj Slavkovsky, Left Wing – TPS (Liiga) [+3]
7. David Jiricek, Defenseman – HC Plzen (CZE) [EVEN]
8. Ivan Miroshnichenko, Left wing – Omskie Krylia (VHL) [-5]
9. Danila Yurov, Right Wing – Matallurg (KHL) [-5]
10. Brad Lambert, Right Wing – JYP (Liiga) [-4]

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Reactions: RainyCityHockey

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
I still like Savoie but I might still change my mind.

Wright
Cooley
Savoie
in that order.
after that I'm a bit off book I really like Jiricek although some have him dropped down to around 10th.

Lambert is the risky pick and I'd steer clear.
The steal might be Yurov. Depends where he falls.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I still like Savoie but I might still change my mind.

Wright
Cooley
Savoie
in that order.
after that I'm a bit off book I really like Jiricek although some have him dropped down to around 10th.

Lambert is the risky pick and I'd steer clear.
The steal might be Yurov. Depends where he falls.
Yurov is an interesting one. He got very limited minutes in the KHL and had no points there at all but immediately lit it up in the MHL when he was sent down. I think he goes top-10.

The concern with Savoie is just that he is not been great 5-on-5. He leads his team in scoring with 60 points in 43 games. But 29 of those points are on the PP (31 points at evens). Connor Geekie (same team) has 48 points in 43 games but only 11 on the PP (37 at evens).

To be honest, Wright's number are not impressive either. He has 57 points in 41 games with 19 on the PP.

From what I have gathered Wright has a higher floor but Savoie has higher ceiling. Generally players like Slavkvosky, Kemell, Nemec, Jiricek give me a higher level of confidence because they have already produced while playing at a pro level. The comparison between Wright and Savoie can kind of applied to Nemec and Jiricek. i.e Jiricek -> higher ceiling, lower floor. Nemec -> higher floor, lower ceiling. So Jiricek may be a reach in the top-5, but not necessarily.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Not sure about Geekie's skating. It might keep him from being elite in the NHL. Savoie has skills that are gifts, not things you teach. Developed properly I think he is a star. Wright to me is still the complete package. He is a Patrice Bergeron in the making. I just think Jiricek is solid and will be a stable long term D man. He's not the flashy pick, and he might not be the best, and maybe a gamble on Lambert or somebody pays off and they surprise, but if you want to go safe Jiricek is it. Won't be flashy, but he will be good and reliable.

This team probably needs one of the offensively gifted players more, but depends where they pick.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Not sure about Geekie's skating. It might keep him from being elite in the NHL. Savoie has skills that are gifts, not things you teach. Developed properly I think he is a star. Wright to me is still the complete package. He is a Patrice Bergeron in the making. I just think Jiricek is solid and will be a stable long term D man. He's not the flashy pick, and he might not be the best, and maybe a gamble on Lambert or somebody pays off and they surprise, but if you want to go safe Jiricek is it. Won't be flashy, but he will be good and reliable.

This team probably needs one of the offensively gifted players more, but depends where they pick.

Right now, I wouldn't pick any forward not named Wright or Cooley ahead of Slavkofsky.

The kid has all the tools(size, hands, shot, skating) and seems to be getting more polished by the day.

But I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with either Nemec or Jiricek(depending on where we actually pick) given that the only time Francis drafted high(#7 overall) in a forward heavy draft(2014) he ended up picking Haydn Fleury while guys like William Nylander, Nikolaj Ehlers or Kevin Fiala were still available.

Though, doesn't have to be a bad thing as you can always use a potential #1 RHD. Just gotta hope they turn out to be better than Fleury...

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Right now, I wouldn't pick any forward not named Wright or Cooley ahead of Slavkofsky.

The kid has all the tools(size, hands, shot, skating) and seems to be getting more polished by the day.

But I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with either Nemec or Jiricek(depending on where we actually pick) given that the only time Francis drafted high(#7 overall) in a forward heavy draft(2014) he ended up picking Haydn Fleury while guys like William Nylander, Nikolaj Ehlers or Kevin Fiala were still available.

Though, doesn't have to be a bad thing as you can always use a potential #1 RHD. Just gotta hope they turn out to be better than Fleury...

I agree. I think Savoie is dropping and Slavkofsky is moving up. I expect the top-3 to end up being those 3 as well. Nemec is another possibility in the top-3. I would be thrilled to walk away with either of those 4. Savoie worries me. But then again so did Edvinsson last season so what do I know .. ha ha.

As far as Fleury goes, was he ever projected to have offensive upside. His numbers in his D year look ok, but nothing spectacular.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I agree. I think Savoie is dropping and Slavkofsky is moving up. I expect the top-3 to end up being those 3 as well. Nemec is another possibility in the top-3. I would be thrilled to walk away with either of those 4. Savoie worries me. But then again so did Edvinsson last season so what do I know .. ha ha.

As far as Fleury goes, was he ever projected to have offensive upside. His numbers in his D year look ok, but nothing spectacular.

I don't know but he does have a solid shot.

I think it was his combination of size, the shot and skating that made him interesting for GM's back in the day.

And yeah, we're basically armchair scouting(not just GM'ing :laugh: ) here...

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
If we can get Wright, and suck again next year so we can draft either Mitchkov or Bedard….uffff

I hate to say it, but this is the way that teams get to where the Avs, bolts and those yellow guys from PA are today.
Unlike the other tanky teams (like my Flyers) this is almost expected of Seattle as an expansion team, potentially for the first several years.

We're going to add some terrific players over that span and it's a timeline I can be patient for.

Meanwhile a player I am really warming up to for a top 5 pick is Simon Nemec. Smart, mobile, all-situations D-men are always part of a winning formula.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I hate to say it, but this is the way that teams get to where the Avs, bolts and those yellow guys from PA are today.
Unlike the other tanky teams (like my Flyers) this is almost expected of Seattle as an expansion team, potentially for the first several years.

We're going to add some terrific players over that span and it's a timeline I can be patient for.

Meanwhile a player I am really warming up to for a top 5 pick is Simon Nemec. Smart, mobile, all-situations D-men are always part of a winning formula.

I was reading an article in Seattle Times today and I am paraphrasing, but Francis basically said that being this bad next year is unacceptable.

With inaugural season not panning out, expect Kraken to be busy team at trade deadline

“We’re not going to sit here and stand pat with the same lineup we had based on how the season went,” he said. “We’re certainly hoping to look at things. Whether it’s draft picks that are able to step in and play, looking into the free agent market, looking at teams over the summer that maybe are in a cap crunch and looking to move something, we certainly are open to having all of those discussions.”

I don't think Francis is going to go crazy with FA signings or mortgaging our future but I just don't see us picking in the top-5 next season. Very likely its in the 10+ range.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I was reading an article in Seattle Times today and I am paraphrasing, but Francis basically said that being this bad next year is unacceptable.

With inaugural season not panning out, expect Kraken to be busy team at trade deadline

I don't think Francis is going to go crazy with FA signings or mortgaging our future but I just don't see us picking in the top-5 next season. Very likely its in the 10+ range.

If Hakstol is still coach, and his strategy is to try to play an open north-south game and skate with the other teams in the league like he did this season, I have no reason to believe that they will not be bottom 5 again next season.

I don't think the talent of the team will be significantly better, so expecting significantly better results seems unrealistic.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
If Hakstol is still coach, and his strategy is to try to play an open north-south game and skate with the other teams in the league like he did this season, I have no reason to believe that they will not be bottom 5 again next season.

I don't think the talent of the team will be significantly better, so expecting significantly better results seems unrealistic.

It depends on what acquisitions we make. Jarnkrok and Gio are likely to be our biggest losses this season. That leaves us with:

Forwards
-----------

Eberle-Gourde-?
Schwartz-McCann-Beniers
Tanev-Wennberg-Donskoi
?-Geekie-Appleton

Defense
---------

Dunn-Oleksiak
Larsson-?
?-Soucy

You get one legit top-6 F and try to land a top-4 D if possible. You don't need to overhaul the roster because the TDL and expiring FA (both restricted and unrestricted) contracts will take care of that for us. Shoring up the forwards is a higher priority in my mind because at worst you can push Soucy into a top-4 role. Not great for a team with SC intentions but for us that should be just fine. We should also sign atleast 1 established bottom-6 F and bottom-4 D. I don't think Fleury/Borgen are any better than 7D right now.

The first line in your response is actually the biggest issue with the team. i.e Hakstol. If the team wants to see a massive improvement, i.e picking outside of the top-10 next season, he needs to be put on a very short leash. If we are languishing in the bottom-5 of the league within the first 15 games, either he needs to be cut loose OR you decide to call it another 'tank' season and go for Bedard/Michkov.

The 2nd biggest problem, in my opinion, is the lack of identity. It has been pointed out by many others but may also be related to coaching. This team does not do anything great. Offense, defense or goaltending. We are not the fastest team which makes it difficult generating turnovers while forechecking. However, fingers crossed, that may change next season with Beniers as well as Tanev coming back. Getting another such player in the bottom-6 may help give the team some identity.

And I understand all the talk about ownership being agreeable to the long term plan of us building a team but I would be shocked if they are ok with us picking top-5 again next season.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
It depends on what acquisitions we make. Jarnkrok and Gio are likely to be our biggest losses this season. That leaves us with:

Forwards
-----------

Eberle-Gourde-?
Schwartz-McCann-Beniers
Tanev-Wennberg-Donskoi
?-Geekie-Appleton

Defense
---------

Dunn-Oleksiak
Larsson-?
?-Soucy

You get one legit top-6 F and try to land a top-4 D if possible. You don't need to overhaul the roster because the TDL and expiring FA (both restricted and unrestricted) contracts will take care of that for us. Shoring up the forwards is a higher priority in my mind because at worst you can push Soucy into a top-4 role. Not great for a team with SC intentions but for us that should be just fine. We should also sign atleast 1 established bottom-6 F and bottom-4 D. I don't think Fleury/Borgen are any better than 7D right now.

The first line in your response is actually the biggest issue with the team. i.e Hakstol. If the team wants to see a massive improvement, i.e picking outside of the top-10 next season, he needs to be put on a very short leash. If we are languishing in the bottom-5 of the league within the first 15 games, either he needs to be cut loose OR you decide to call it another 'tank' season and go for Bedard/Michkov.

The 2nd biggest problem, in my opinion, is the lack of identity. It has been pointed out by many others but may also be related to coaching. This team does not do anything great. Offense, defense or goaltending. We are not the fastest team which makes it difficult generating turnovers while forechecking. However, fingers crossed, that may change next season with Beniers as well as Tanev coming back. Getting another such player in the bottom-6 may help give the team some identity.

And I understand all the talk about ownership being agreeable to the long term plan of us building a team but I would be shocked if they are ok with us picking top-5 again next season.

I look at your proposed roster and I don't think any mid-level UFA's you add to it make it a competitor with Hakstol's current system.

1. Beniers as a rookie probably is not going to have a huge impact as a replacement for Jarnkrok. I see the next year net change as negligible, if not even a bit on the negative side.

2. While a guy like Sheahan is dime a dozen, he is a solid penalty killer, which this team lacks. I hate that the third and fourth lines are not above average defensively, let alone elite defensively.

A bottom six like this requires a guy like Gourde to be a primary penalty killer. Killing penalties is extremely tiring, and teams that rely on their top six players to do it, over-work them and find them drained by the end of the game, and they have no offensive jump left, which is often desperately needed late in close games.

3. It comes back to roles. Hakstol has designated all the players as round pegs and all the holes on the team as round holes. When in reality, The team is filled with round, square, and triangular shaped pegs and the roles on the team should also be similarly shaped.

The coach has to deploy his personnel in a way that caters to their strengths, while best filling the needs of the system. Hakstol has constantly deployed his lines in a way that is more often than not not playing to the players strengths. It is like the team is running at 20% efficiency.

Can Hakstol coach differently? He does not so far seem to be making evaluations and adjustments, so I have doubts.

Lastly, Borgen has played better than a lot of #6 D currently in the league, and I liked his chemistry with Dunn. I am hoping he gets a chance down the stretch to play consistently and we can see what we have with him.

Also, what happened to RFA Donato in your lineup =p

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I look at your proposed roster and I don't think any mid-level UFA's you add to it make it a competitor with Hakstol's current system.

1. Beniers as a rookie probably is not going to have a huge impact as a replacement for Jarnkrok. I see the next year net change as negligible, if not even a bit on the negative side.

2. While a guy like Sheahan is dime a dozen, he is a solid penalty killer, which this team lacks. I hate that the third and fourth lines are not above average defensively, let alone elite defensively.

A bottom six like this requires a guy like Gourde to be a primary penalty killer. Killing penalties is extremely tiring, and teams that rely on their top six players to do it, over-work them and find them drained by the end of the game, and they have no offensive jump left, which is often desperately needed late in close games.

3. It comes back to roles. Hakstol has designated all the players as round pegs and all the holes on the team as round holes. When in reality, The team is filled with round, square, and triangular shaped pegs and the roles on the team should also be similarly shaped.

The coach has to deploy his personnel in a way that caters to their strengths, while best filling the needs of the system. Hakstol has constantly deployed his lines in a way that is more often than not not playing to the players strengths. It is like the team is running at 20% efficiency.

Can Hakstol coach differently? He does not so far seem to be making evaluations and adjustments, so I have doubts.

Lastly, Borgen has played better than a lot of #6 D currently in the league, and I liked his chemistry with Dunn. I am hoping he gets a chance down the stretch to play consistently and we can see what we have with him.

Also, what happened to RFA Donato in your lineup =p

I did kind of forget Donato to be honest but this is where one of the big issues with the Kraken is. We have too many bottom-6 players. You could put Donato in the ? on the 4th line but I feel like his skill set is better suited to a 3rd line role. Donato is a weird one because he is pretty much one dimensional. Not skilled enough to play in the top-6 and not physical enough to play on the 4th line.

I do agree with your sentiment on Borgen. Among all the kids we have played on the 3rd pairing this season, I like him the best. Heck, I prefer Borgen over both Fleury and Lauzon. If Boston still wants Lauzon back for a mid pick, I would gladly do that. In a way, forcing Hakstol's hand to play what he has instead of putting the names in a hat and picking players randomly from game-to-game may be better for both the team and the players development.

Doubt many players argue here about how Hakstol deploys his players. Square peg -> Round hole. He is not getting the most of his players and I agree that if he does not get better next season, it is definitely possible that we end up with another top-5 pick. That being said, I am not looking at getting mid-level UFA's. If the team needs to get better despite Hakstol, Francis needs to use a combination of trades and FA signings to get a legit top-6 F and also a PMD who can QB the PP.

But yeah, all this is for nought if Hakstol has his head up his ass.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I did kind of forget Donato to be honest but this is where one of the big issues with the Kraken is. We have too many bottom-6 players. You could put Donato in the ? on the 4th line but I feel like his skill set is better suited to a 3rd line role. Donato is a weird one because he is pretty much one dimensional. Not skilled enough to play in the top-6 and not physical enough to play on the 4th line.

I do agree with your sentiment on Borgen. Among all the kids we have played on the 3rd pairing this season, I like him the best. Heck, I prefer Borgen over both Fleury and Lauzon. If Boston still wants Lauzon back for a mid pick, I would gladly do that. In a way, forcing Hakstol's hand to play what he has instead of putting the names in a hat and picking players randomly from game-to-game may be better for both the team and the players development.

Doubt many players argue here about how Hakstol deploys his players. Square peg -> Round hole. He is not getting the most of his players and I agree that if he does not get better next season, it is definitely possible that we end up with another top-5 pick. That being said, I am not looking at getting mid-level UFA's. If the team needs to get better despite Hakstol, Francis needs to use a combination of trades and FA signings to get a legit top-6 F and also a PMD who can QB the PP.

But yeah, all this is for nought if Hakstol has his head up his ass.

The problem for this team is lack of valuable assets.

Picking up a players that can contribute now will cost assets. And if Francis is looking for younger guys that can grow with the team, those required assets he has to give up are going to need to be very valuable.

Seattle has a bunch of guys that teams felt were not valuable enough to protect as their top 10-12 assets, and while some of them are nice players, they don't have a ton of value.

As far as current quality trade chips, this team has Beniers, their 22 and 23 1st round picks, and their 2nd this draft, although that holds much less value.

Their Picks from last draft are having pretty good years, so it is possible that they could move Evans, or some of their later picked prospects as a package, but the cupboard is already painfully devoid of potential, so any moves like that, while filling one hole, would be creating more long term issues.

This team is not ready to spend big in the UFA market, as it would be a waste, and would likely require serious overpays to bring in top talent, so the pathway forward is fairly limited.

If you don't want to plug holes with mid-level UFAs and then move them out at the deadlines as their deals expire for more picks, what are you willing to trade out to bring in serious help?

And ask yourself, "will those moves make this team stronger long term down the road, or would they be sacrificing the future for limited upside now?"

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The problem for this team is lack of valuable assets.

Picking up a players that can contribute now will cost assets. And if Francis is looking for younger guys that can grow with the team, those required assets he has to give up are going to need to be very valuable.

Seattle has a bunch of guys that teams felt were not valuable enough to protect as their top 10-12 assets, and while some of them are nice players, they don't have a ton of value.

As far as current quality trade chips, this team has Beniers, their 22 and 23 1st round picks, and their 2nd this draft, although that holds much less value.

Their Picks from last draft are having pretty good years, so it is possible that they could move Evans, or some of their later picked prospects as a package, but the cupboard is already painfully devoid of potential, so any moves like that, while filling one hole, would be creating more long term issues.

This team is not ready to spend big in the UFA market, as it would be a waste, and would likely require serious overpays to bring in top talent, so the pathway forward is fairly limited.

If you don't want to plug holes with mid-level UFAs and then move them out at the deadlines as their deals expire for more picks, what are you willing to trade out to bring in serious help?

And ask yourself, "will those moves make this team stronger long term down the road, or would they be sacrificing the future for limited upside now?"

I think moving any of our top-3 picks from last year draft is not something I want to get behind. Obviously Beniers is as close to untouchable as there is for the Kraken but Evans is our only legit top-4 two-way D-man for the future right now. With Gio gone it would be good to give Dunn some help in that aspect.

There are multiple ways we can acquire good assets between now and next season.

1) UFA. Go big or go home. I agree that medium level players is not going to cut it for us. We already have enough of that.
2) Flip assets acquired this TDL and see what you can get.
3) Flip our own picks.

3 is pretty much a no-go because we could end up being a lottery team again. But if a chance presents to flip our 2023 or 2024 pick in a package for a LEGIT player who fits both our our age requirements (under 25), is signed long-term or expires as an RFA I would consider it. The pick would need to be top-10 lottery protected.

1 is possible since we have cap space but presents 2 issues. The first being that players may not want to sign with a bottom-dwelling expansion team. The second being the age not being a fit/match for our team. Eg: Giroux, Pavelski, Letang, etc. Hertl, Forsberg and Gaudreau are slightly older but could immediately make the team better and are likely to contribute through the majority of their careers. That is pretty much a risk for any team that signs them but in todays age, GM's sometime need to make moves like that and worry about the future later. Or they may not even have a job if team continues to play poorly.

2, I feel, is the best option we have. If GMRF does a good job moving out some of our excess picks from this TDL and expansion draft, he could 'help' cap strapped teams by taking off some of their expensive contracts. Like others have pointed out, it is a buyers market so I don't expect all our expiring contracts get moved out, but Gio + Jarnkrok + M Jo + Fleury/Lauzon could give us enough picks that can be added to the current extra picks we have 2nd rounder 2023 and 4th rounders 2022 and 2023 to make atleast one legit acquisition.

I take everything GM's say with a grain of salt but based on the Seattle Times article, its hard to imagine that Francis would be okay with us being a bottom-5 pick next season. I would not be surprised at all if he makes a big splash this offseason in FA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad