2022 NHL Entry Draft - Kraken Edition

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
The more I put myself in Montreal's, Jersey's, and Arizona's GM shoes, the more confident I feel that the top four is not going to go the way everyone has been predicting it to go for several weeks now.

Thursday should be interesting.

Reactions: The Marquis

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
The more I put myself in Montreal's, Jersey's, and Arizona's GM shoes, the more confident I feel that the top four is not going to go the way everyone has been predicting it to go for several weeks now.

Thursday should be interesting.

Same. I was trying to explain this draft to a new fan and after an hour of discussion said “I expect nothing”

Silkytentacles

Mar 9, 2021
Oregon
My top 5

1. Cooley
Dynamic smart creative skilled plays an attacks at a high pace

2. Wright
Very Smart cerebral center with great tools

3/4 Nemec/Jiricek
I still haven’t come to a final decision I lean Jiricek but Nemec has made it so close especially after his world championship performance he seems to have gotten even better. He’s probably the safer pick. I still think we haven’t seen Jiricek at his best during that tournament. It’s hard to come back to high pace after an injury and time off. With who ever you take here for there are pros and cons but either way you get a stud on the back end.

5. Slafkovsky
I know 5 seems high compared to others but his success has been at tournaments only his play with this tps wasn’t the greatest In terms of the hype he’s getting. Great potential I just would rather take a d man to build around at this point and with two great option likely available I trust that more

Either way I think everyone of those prospects have huge potential. Ron can’t mess this pick up

Last edited:

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Given Putin's disgusting Draconian new policies and in light of the Fedotov situation, I think it is likely all the Russian players drop out of the first round.

Does it make sense to grab what should have been a top ten player in Yurov at 35? Or maybe one of the others at 49? knowing they won't come over for several years at the earliest, if ever?

It definitely brings up an interesting gamble. But Is the risk worth it for an expansion team?

If a guy like Yurov actually falls into the 2nd round and is available at #35, you take him and run.
Same with @The Marquis boi Gleb Trikozov. :D
Even with the current political situation being the way it is.

Though, I doubt this will happen and it's a bit too much of an overreaction, IMO.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
If a guy like Yurov actually falls into the 2nd round and is available at #35, you take him and run.
Same with @The Marquis boi Gleb Trikozov. :D
Even with the current political situation being the way it is.

Though, I doubt this will happen and it's a bit too much of an overreaction, IMO.
I think you under-estinate the seriousness of the situation for these young Russian players.

If you are old like me, you remember the rumors of what the old kgb would do to defectors or their families.

As things stand how. No Russian player is likely to come over. If one of these players sneaks away, Putin will take out revenge on their families or someone important to them to make an example of them. If they are caught, well then it is Siberia for them like poor Fedotov.

Putin is flat out mad and incredibly dangerous. Until the situation is resolved, which may be years, there is a strong chance no prospects make the jump.

So if you are drafting them, you do it knowing you are getting a steal if they ever come over, but you have to know that they may never play for you.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I think you under-estinate the seriousness of the situation for these young Russian players.

If you are old like me, you remember the rumors of what the old kgb would do to defectors or their families.

As things stand how. No Russian player is likely to come over. If one of these players sneaks away, Putin will take out revenge on their families or someone important to them to make an example of them. If they are caught, well then it is Siberia for them like poor Fedotov.

Putin is flat out mad and incredibly dangerous. Until the situation is resolved, which may be years, there is a strong chance no prospects make the jump.

So if you are drafting them, you do it knowing you are getting a steal if they ever come over, but you have to know that they may never play for you.

I'm from the east of Germany and born in the GDR.

What you're seeing right now is not KGB and how things were handled back then and more of a media thing to push their narrative, IMO.
Though, it's in no way good or anything like that.

What you'll end up seeing is probably russians trying to keep some of their young stars(like Michkov next year) by paying them a huge amount of money.
The guys you have this year are good prospects, but probably not as much of interested to them for those political games.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I do wonder if Wright doesn’t go 1st overall if Seattle ends up moving to 2 to take him.

The problem might be what New Jersey would ask for.

If they're OK with another 2nd round pick(not our own) or a 2nd + 3rd, we could do that.
Though, I wouldn't give up too much cause like you've said, we're sitting pretty solid at #4 and can just wait who'll be available at that pick.

Reactions: Irie

NiagaraKraken

May 23, 2021
Niagara
The problem might be what New Jersey would ask for.

If they're OK with another 2nd round pick(not our own) or a 2nd + 3rd, we could do that.
Though, I wouldn't give up too much cause like you've said, we're sitting pretty solid at #4 and can just wait who'll be available at that pick.
Oh for sure just something to think about. Jersey could be really high on Nemec and moving back to 4 with additional picks could interest them. Of course they could also just take Wright haha, worth the call tho if Slaf goes 1st overall.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I do wonder if Wright doesn’t go 1st overall if Seattle ends up moving to 2 to take him.
The separation in this top 4 isn't enough. You could be paying assets to actually grab the lesser guy. This isn't a Matthews/McDavid year (probably but keep in mind Draisaitl produces like a #1) but its not a Hischier/Patrick year either. A really nice top 4 IMO and one where there are a bunch of potential cornerstones. Not likely a big difference in what you are getting from whomever the Habs take,

Anchor5

Jun 23, 2022
Is there any chance to steal at #35 Mesar? This kid is hidden gem for me ... If we somehow make at #4 Slafkovsky, They could be nice duo in future ... Don't you think?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Kraken Mock Draft by Sound of Hockey.

Don't like the idea of passing on Casey at 34 because you drafted Nemec at 4 only to draft Kyrou in the 3rd. If he is your highest rated player at that spot then take him, you don't have enough prospect depth to pass on bpa. If he pans out then you can always trade him down the line if him and Nemec are too similar. Also don't like that trade with Edmonton, way too much to give up for someone who wants out and has struggled this much in his career already. A 3rd sure or one of the late 2nd's at most.

Soul Rebel

Aug 19, 2019
Things I'd like to see happen in the next 24-48 hours:

Prefer Wright/Cooley, but happy with Nemec/Jiricek.
Trade back into the first round to land another piece to the puzzle
Trade for Puljujarvi
Offer sheet Sandin for a 2nd rounder and get a 22-year old second-pairing Dman with upside to grow into more

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad