2022 NHL Entry Draft Discussion v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

gorsk11

Logan Cooley for the win.
Jun 25, 2008
AZ
Didn't realize every player was held to a 2-3 yr development timeframe. Players obviously never have faster or shorter paths. :sarcasm:

If you see a 16yo 2023 draft eligible center who is skating/play-making at same level as Cooley as a 16yo, would you not consider them to be relative equals as peers, even though one is a year older? Now let's say that same player is currently #12 on the list for 2023 draft prospects. Would it not be wise to apply the scouting knowledge and say that if this player stays even with Cooley in development and moves up to 8th best skater in 2023, then picks 1-7 in 2023 are at or ahead of Cooley in talent level?

I plan on AZ being a top 6 pick in 2023. So, I expect to get a forward who is better than Cooley next year, even if we still take Cooley this year, based on what I know of the 2023 eligible. Or, what if a number of our scouts looked at Cooley and think that his game is developed, but there isn't much room for more. In other words, he is close to peaking, but others still have a lot higher peaks? Thats part of the 2-3 yr development as well. None of these are finished projects and the player taken at 8 could be the best player at end of career.

That's where I keep saying, the scouts are preparing for the 2022 draft, but that doesn't mean that it is in a vacuum and nothing for 2023/futures/other prospect's futures matters. Otherwise, no trades would ever happen, as we wouldn't trade #27 because we have to take on a player that we have to project for use in 2023 and beyond, right? But we can only make projections on the 2022 eligibles right?

People are acting as if though I am stating that the only logic for a 2022 pick is what we think may happen in 2023. It is not a big percentage, but if a scouting group is completely even on 2 players at #3 and one scout says - I recommend picking player A because both players A and B are equals, but the position that player B plays has more and deeper talent next year and the position player A plays has less talent, that could sway the group to player A. It is simply something to take into consideration.
Sorry I think your opinion is in the minority. They are making a list of players for this year and where they rank and are taking best players avail and getting a seletion of forwards and defense. Who knows how things play out next year and what players rise and fall. Just dont think they decide the #3 pick or decide at all based on next year. Its all about players and lists this year.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Sorry I think your opinion is in the minority. They are making a list of players for this year and where they rank and are taking best players avail and getting a seletion of forwards and defense. Who knows how things play out next year and what players rise and fall. Just dont think they decide the #3 pick or decide at all based on next year. Its all about players and lists this year.

100% agree it is in the minority, and it should not be one of the top deciding factors. But in the case of two relatively equal prospects (depending on how the board plays out), BA mentioned that he wants scouts to fight for players. If a scout (and others) are of the belief that initial reports state that next year's class of prospects is better at a certain position, that could be enough to steer away from a player at that position this year. Not saying that this happens with every pick or every year, but every so often, that can take place. If Cooley hadn't positioned himself as a likely top 3, then this may be a more applicable situation, but not certain. Every year is different.

Why are teams clamoring for 2023 1sts instead of 2022 1sts? Because their scouts already have eyes on who are in each draft. Doesn't mean they are necessarily making decisions on 2022 for 2023, but again, fingers are on the pulse.

gorsk11

Logan Cooley for the win.
Jun 25, 2008
AZ
I agree they understand what in the potential pipeline for next year but I dont think it comes into play when deciding on this years pick. What would be wrong with picking two stud centers in back to back drafts. My opinion is it is tougher to get high end level centers or top line forwards compared to defense. I think there are several good defenseman available later in the draft.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If we can get another pick (6-10 OA) and draft Gauthier that would be fine.But draft him at #3 OA would bring memories of 2015
Dylan Strome was a MUCH better prospect than any kid in this draft. It didn’t work out, but he was a better prospect than the average 1st overall.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Chicago now picks 7th.
IMG_2599.jpg

Coyotes19c

Jul 27, 2021
I think that’s a bit much. If you saw what D on expiring contracts were going for at the deadline then i have zero concerns on waiting.
You might be right (About it being to much) but I’m scared his value is at the highest and will only go down from here. Hope I’m wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia