2022 NHL Entry Draft Discussion v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Obviously Knies would be great but TOR would want alot I imagine. Sandin would be great. He could take over for ghost once he is gone as well.
Sandin, Poolparty, Barrie...might actually risk improving the team. 😆

Also, Yotes have a penchant for improving struggling goalies. Another retain and flip candidate a year from now.
Most teams tank mid-season anyway. Haha.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
How about Mrazek and Sandin for 67th overall? The Leafs are having a tough time with Sandin’s contract talks. And they need Mrazek gone. Sandin takes some of the pressure off getting a D prospect in return for Chychrun.

Then do Barrie+Kassian+Puljujarvi for Fischer+Capobianco.
Mrazek + Knies/Sandin for 67
Hornqvist + Ludvig + '23 2nd for 45
Bailey + '24 lottery protected 1st for 43

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
wow I had no idea the Coyotes ran their own scouting combine with a select few of hand picked players up in Oshawa after the Buffalo combine. Great to see ..Sorry if this is old news ..but just saw this today .. Not sure who was there the picture was on for a split second etc..

EDIT... I see I am late to the party again ... sorry.... but I still think it is pretty cool ...

Great to see AM giving the scouts the red carpet treatment as well ..

Last edited:

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
I think the Yotes are going to try and get another pick in the top 10 to draft Gauthier. Armstrong type guy who grew up in Scottsdale.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
I wonder if BA & team have any strategies in place to try and trade one of their late firsts for a 1st round pick in 2023.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Cooley to me is the player with thr highest skill and skating plus plays center. Only thiing is he is a liitle small. And you cant expect to decide your picked based on next years draft
I disagree with the idea that you can't expect to decide your pick based on next year's draft. Scouts have likely had insight on these players for more than just a single year.

Right now, we should be a bottom 6 team in 22-23 season, no? Looking at the available 23 draft eligible, there are a number of forwards who appear to be on par with or better than Cooley. So, if our scouts are effective at their job, and they see that there is not a Jiricek or Nemec type in the 2023 draft, and the forwards are at/above the level of who we might take at 3 in 2022, then it gives credence to taking a D and taking that risk for a forward in 2023. We still have a lot of time for the rebuild, and I am one who thinks there may be some decent forwards later in the 1st, whereas D may need more development. If someone can become a Jiricek between picks 27 and 45, it is possible, but most teams start to take the bigger D that slide or have high upside in the early 20s. We could play ourselves out of some players of need, especially if Chychrun is moved. RHD who are effective are a big need. Finding a Carlson or Parayko would give a massive 1/2 punch at RHD with Jiricek/Soderstrom.

gorsk11

Logan Cooley for the win.
Jun 25, 2008
AZ
I disagree with the idea that you can't expect to decide your pick based on next year's draft. Scouts have likely had insight on these players for more than just a single year.

Right now, we should be a bottom 6 team in 22-23 season, no? Looking at the available 23 draft eligible, there are a number of forwards who appear to be on par with or better than Cooley. So, if our scouts are effective at their job, and they see that there is not a Jiricek or Nemec type in the 2023 draft, and the forwards are at/above the level of who we might take at 3 in 2022, then it gives credence to taking a D and taking that risk for a forward in 2023. We still have a lot of time for the rebuild, and I am one who thinks there may be some decent forwards later in the 1st, whereas D may need more development. If someone can become a Jiricek between picks 27 and 45, it is possible, but most teams start to take the bigger D that slide or have high upside in the early 20s. We could play ourselves out of some players of need, especially if Chychrun is moved. RHD who are effective are a big need. Finding a Carlson or Parayko would give a massive 1/2 punch at RHD with Jiricek/Soderstrom.
I feel you take the best player available at #3. I think thats one of the top 3 forwards. Not what you might do next year. If they take a defenseman #3 I will be disappointed but if thats the player they want so be it. I cant see them passing on Cooley

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I feel you take the best player available at #3. I think thats one of the top 3 forwards. Not what you night do next year. If they take a defenseman #3 I will be disappointed but if thats the player they want so be it. I cant see them passing on Cooley

Especially since they all over hockey IQ, there is probably no one with higher hockey IQ than Cooley in this draft and when you combine his skating (consensus tops in draft class with his hands one of the tops in draft class), I just don't see how he wouldn't be the selection at #3.

Reactions: RemoAZ and gorsk11

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I feel you take the best player available at #3. I think thats one of the top 3 forwards. Not what you might do next year. If they take a defenseman #3 I will be disappointed but if thats the player they want so be it. I cant see them passing on Cooley
Since we have time and are going to be bad next year, I see it as taking the player whom I think will have the best chance at a prolonged, high-level career. Cooley likely will have a long career. I also think Jiricek will as well.

I do think that if we deal further up in the 1st round (whether Chychrun, or a move up with #27 and #34 to the late teens/early 20s) a player like Ostlund or Lekkerimaki also fills a great need.

Maybe part of me has just seen our luck with centers at #3 OA and is worried about where this goes, even though Cooley could arguably be a more dynamic player than Strome or Turris :oops:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

I don’t think there’s any chance that next year’s top rated prospects and projected finish has any bearing at all on deciding who to select in this draft. 13 months ago Nemec and Jiricik weren’t viewed as Top 5 picks. It was Wright, Lambert and Savoie at 1st-3rd. Three future all-star centers. It’s possible Wright goes behind Nemec and they both Savoie and Lambert don’t go Top 10. And that neither ends up a center. Not to mention nobody figured Montreal fresh off the SC would pick last, and Arizona who tanked harder than any team in history would pick 3rd.

Making 2022 draft evaluations based on 2023 predictions is about as wise as using crystals and horoscopes to decide.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Still feel like the Coyotes get another 1st rounder...Columbus' 12th or another one in the teens.

I would really like them to, and get one of the "next four" Dmen (Mintyukov/Korchinski/Pickering/Bischel).

How about Josh Bailey + #13 for #27 (or #32)? :naughty:

Nowotny

Dec 29, 2021
East Valley,AZ
Stories from Russia (Fedotov,Kaprizov) are not encouraging.I don't think teams will be using their 1round picks to draft Russian players.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
So basically what this means is.........he's going to be a bust?
Seems getting to Montreal by air is a bust.

The PHNXCoyotes crew had to spend a night in Minneapolis because their plane from Denver to MTL couldn’t pressurize. Avs coach Jared Bednar and the Stanley Cup were on the same flight.

Last I heard they finally got out of Minny about 3:00 this afternoon headed to MTL .

• Haha
Reactions: jmelm

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Seems getting to Montreal by air is a bust.

The PHNXCoyotes crew had to spend a night in Minneapolis because their plane from Denver to MTL couldn’t pressurize. Avs coach Jared Bednar and the Stanley Cup were on the same flight.

Last I heard they finally got out of Minny about 3:00 this afternoon headed to MTL .
PHNXCoyotes crew flying to Quebec on Air Canada. Who could've seen this coming?

I would really like them to, and get one of the "next four" Dmen (Mintyukov/Korchinski/Pickering/Bischel).

How about Josh Bailey + #13 for #27 (or #32)? :naughty:
Like it, but Lou wants players not picks. I think this is still a potential Chychrun destination.

Reactions: jmelm

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Some smoke leaking from some French speaking writers that the Canadiens will pick Slaf. Habs fans on their board are believing it so its coming from reputable sources.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
ok, final 1st round mock
#Player
1Shane Wright
2Juraj Slafkovsky
3Logan Cooley
4Simon Nemec
5David Jiricek
6Joakim Kemell
7Cutter Gauthier
8Jonathan Lekkerimaki
9Matthew Savoie
10Kevin Korchinski
11Pavel Mintyukov
12Frank Nazar
13Danila Yurov
14Marco Kasper
15Conor Geekie
16Denton Mateychuk
17Liam Ohgren
18Brad Lambert
19Jiri Kulich
20Ivan Miroshnichenko
21Isaac Howard
22Jimmy Snuggerud
23Noah Ostlund
24Owen Pickering
25Jagger Firkus
26Rutger McGroarty
27Lian Bichsel
28Ryan Chesley
29Filip Mesar
30Nathan Gaucher
31Alexander Perevalov
32Luca DelBelBelluz

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
No matter who they pick, it is nice not going in to it being pretty sure I was going to be disappointed in whoever burger boy was going to pick or whatever trades he was going to make. Very rarely did I like a move he made and he sure did make a shit ton of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad