GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
This draft has some good options with size at the high end it seems
Slafkovsky
Geekie
Jiricek
Salomonsson

I haven’t gotten to watching a whole lot of any of them but have liked what I have seen from those four overall so far

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
If our hot start continues and we pick more near the mid-late first round, who do you guys want?

C McGroaty
LD Bichsel
C Kasper

I really would like a RD, but Kent Anderson might be too far a reach. Really, I think the Ducks should go BPA. If the team re-signs Manson, then RD isn't necessarily a huge problem to address.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
If our hot start continues and we pick more near the mid-late first round, who do you guys want?

I still expect a 10-20 pick.

I think the best case scenario would be RHD David Jiricek but I expect him to be a late riser and go top 10.
He is a big bodied physical defender that moves really well (not elite) for his size. He has a good shot and a good breakout pass. His 2-way game is pretty impressive to me.

Geekie also seems to be falling a bit in lists. he would be awesome to get in the teens.

There are a lot more RHD in the 1st round range then usual. Getting a RHD would shore up the only real hole in the prospect pool.

edit: Elias Salomonsson is the prototypical Ducks pick and would be an awesome pickup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anaheim4ever
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I think the best case scenario would be RHD David Jiricek but I expect him to be a late riser and go top 10.
He is a big bodied physical defender that moves really well (not elite) for his size. He has a good shot and a good breakout pass. His 2-way game is pretty impressive to me.

Say if the Ducks do get Jiricek, we could probably move on from one of our younger D prospects if he slots above them on a depth chart.

We have a ton of defenseman coming up through the ranks, but many are still raw

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Say if the Ducks do get Jiricek, we could probably move on from one of our younger D prospects if he slots above them on a depth chart.

We have a ton of defenseman coming up through the ranks, but many are still raw

Jiricek fills pretty much all of the Ducks defensive prospect holes. RHD, size, physicality, one timer. Put him in the Manson role and he would flourish playing second fiddle to Drysdale.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I want Jiricek the most but I am assuming he's picked in the top10 for sure.
Teams won't pass up on a RHD with size that is fairly quick, has a Big shot from the point and a deadly one timer. Along with being physical with a mean streak.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Yeah, Jiricek seems like a dream come true and impossible for Anaheim to get at this point, even though some have still ranked Jiricek outside of top 10.

I haven't really paid attention to this draft from Anaheim's point of view. Like I have no idea where they'll be drafting. Will they make the playoffs or will the team cool off and miss them. This draft is messier than I anticipated it to be so it is very difficult to even try to predict who is going to be available at 20th for example.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Yeah, Jiricek seems like a dream come true and impossible for Anaheim to get at this point, even though some have still ranked Jiricek outside of top 10.

I haven't really paid attention to this draft from Anaheim's point of view. Like I have no idea where they'll be drafting. Will they make the playoffs or will the team cool off and miss them. This draft is messier than I anticipated it to be so it is very difficult to even try to predict who is going to be available at 20th for example.
Well if we are lucky he'll have a Krebs situation and the Ducks trade up a few spots to get him.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

During the off-season, I was set on Jiricek. 6'3, 19olbs, RHD, four-way skating ability (as per EP Rinkside),and has "a little jam" (as per THN's Hockey's Future mag 2021). With how last draft went that a bunch of centers and offensive-minded players rose up and defensive guys dropped like Edvinsson fell to 6th and Clarke fell to 9th, I was hoping that Jiricek would fall. But with the Ducks staying atop the Pacific, we'll probably be in the 20s or further down b/c we're still developing as a team.

I still expect a 10-20 pick.

Geekie also seems to be falling a bit in lists. he would be awesome to get in the teens.

There are a lot more RHD in the 1st round range then usual. Getting a RHD would shore up the only real hole in the prospect pool.

edit: Elias Salomonsson is the prototypical Ducks pick and would be an awesome pickup.

THN's Hockey's Future 2021 edition had three RHD's listed in their projected top-10: 4th is Nemec, 7th is Luneau, and 8th is Jiricek.

Pronman's top-23 in an October article for the Athletic had:
Tier 3: Top of lineup player
4. RHD Jiricek​

Tier 4: Bubble top/Middle of the lineup
8. RHD Nemec​

Tier 5: Middle of the lineup
16. RHD Luneau
17. RHD Chesley​

The majority of projected rankings for Salomonsson is a top-15 RHD.

Some of those RHD's will fall like Luneau due to staking and Chesley due his offense being his forte first. Seeing how the Ducks value skating in the first two rounds, Luneau might not be in their wheelhouse right now until. From FC Hockey on Luneau:

“I feel like Luneau needs to add a bit of speed and explosion to his game,” FCHockey regional scout Théo Lambert said. “He can be a bit late in races for pucks at times, especially if a change of direction is required from his part. I also think that Luneau could benefit from some more strength in order to box out players from in front of his net more easily. And, for a player that has so much skill, I would love to see him get more involved offensively, and not be scared to jump into the attack a bit more, because I feel like he has everything needed to be a decent point producer.”​

I'd love to grab a RHD in the first round, but not if there are better players available where we might be in the draft, where I'm thinking the Ducks could be in the 23-32 range.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
This is one draft where I'd love for us to trade up to get a higher end prospect. This could be our last chance and we have some decent older guys and a ton of young kids that have value.
I also would be a fan of doing this if the price is right and someone our scouting staff is really high on falls, and I'm really not someone who is a fan of trading up at all. I also would be a fan of doing what the Kings did in last year's draft, particularly if we fall out of the race and get a lot of 2022 picks back in deadline trades and move all of our late round picks to trade for higher picks and essentially get all of our drafting done by the third round with 5 or 6+ high quality prospects

Last edited:
Reactions: Boo Boo

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I want Geekie or Lambert somehow to fall to us.... but I need to do way more research before committing to that. It's too early to talk about the draft lol. David Jiricek may also drop because of the injury he sustained yesterday. I would take that chance any day of the week.

Reactions: GunnarStahl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad