HF Habs: 2022 NHL Draft 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
I really don't understand Devils picking Cooley honesty.

Even if one of the centers converts to Wing the Devils already have Playmakers galore and playmaking is the reason you draft Cooley.
Maybe yeah. But remember you don't draft for present need. That always turns out badly. Just look at the Habs recent history of high picks. Last time Habs drafted really high and selected BPA and disregarded team need was when they drafted Carey Price 5th overall in 2005. Did they need price? No, Absolutely not. Theodore, Huet, signed Halak, etc. That was an organizational strength. But they still selected in their minds, what was BPA. I think it turned out good. Point is the jersey strategy of drafting this year is flawed and they should take BPA

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Bedard
Wright
Suzuki
Cedric Paquette

Future best centre line in the league

Not sure if Paquette will want to hang around as our 4th line center.

A couple pages back someone asked about Slaf's stats at Olympics and Worlds:

Olympics:

2 goals vs Finland in 6-2 Defeat
1 goal vs Sweden in 4-1 Defeat
1 goal vs Latvia in 5-2 Win (late goal)
0 goals vs Germany
1 goal vs USA in 3-2 win
0 goals vs Finland in 2-0 Loss
2 goals vs Sweden in 3-0 win (one empty net)

No assists. Lead the tournament in scoring, followed by Lucas Wallmark with 5

Worlds:

0 goals 1 assist in 3-2 win vs France
0 goals 0 assist in 2-1 loss to Germany
0 goals 0 assist in 5-1 loss to Canada
1 goal 0 assist in 5-3 loss to Switzerland
1 goal 1 assist in 4-3 win vs Kazakhstan
0 goals 2 assist in 3-1 win vs Italy
1 goal 1 assist in 7-1 win vs Denmark
0 goals 0 assist in 3-2 loss to Finland

La Liiga Game Logs:

September: 0 goals 1 assist 14:47 TOI/GP
October: 0 goals 2 assist 13:18 TOI/GP
November: 0 goals 0 assist 12:05 TOI/GP
December: 1 goal 0 assist 12:39 TOI/GP
March: 4 goals, 2 assists 16:23 TOI/GP

I don't get the hype, he has bust written all over him.

durojean

May 29, 2007
People keep thinking that Wright is what the Habs are looking for when all we hear since the Gorton, Hughes hiring is how they want to make the team faster/bigger.

Wright continually slows the pace down and avoid physical challenges. He is weak on pucks and a poor hustler. Cant see it being what they are looking for.
He never said bigger.

He said faster ( Cooley and Wright are at least as fast as Slavkosky )
He said hockey iq is a key factor ( Wright and Cooley's strong point )
He said Character, Leadership ( Wright is a proven leader and seems to have a positive impact in teammates)
He said skills ( Cooley is at the top in that if we take only last year in consideration )

You are changing the narrative to fit your argument.

THey did say they want a fast paced team. Which correlates better with Cooley actually. Wright does play really quick with short passes all the time.

I feel like when you actually can slow the pace and being dominant doing that, it's a pretty good proof that your IQ is above average. At the NHL level, you need to change the pace in the game to gain your advantages and Wright already has that.

I'll give you that the weak on puck and poor hustler is worrying but at the same time. On a lot of shift where I saw Wright give up on the hustle or puck battle, I also saw him 5 second later with the puck having let the guy go to a teammate and himself being disponible for a quick pass.

So weak on puck... that's worrying. Is it a thing that he could progress on ? With his size and strenght, I feel so... It is actually a strong point for Slaf, I'll give you that.

One point I would like to touch with you is the fact that you often say that Wright is a previsible player while 95% of the times, his plays are working. I feel like Slaf is even more predictable. I felt watching him in the tournaments that everytime he had the puck in the neutral zone. I knew exactly how it would end up. Most often then not, it led to nothing and control by the other team. He did control the puck way more than Wright and it did look like a pain to remove it from him. I also feel like Slaf plays are often 50/50 while plays are almost always correct.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Athletic did another mock-draft.

1. Shane Wright

Montreal trades 26 and 62 for Capitals 20th

20. Frank Nazar

Basically an awesome start to the draft.
I like that!

I’m wondering what we’ll do with the extra picks. Don’t want to see both 26 and 33 go, so that scenario looks great.

What do you think moving 26 and 33 would/should bring?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I like that!

I’m wondering what we’ll do with the extra picks. Don’t want to see both 26 and 33 go, so that scenario looks great.

What do you think moving 26 and 33 would/should bring?

You'd have to be getting into the early teens with that package and I don't see a team there willing - maybe the Islanders.

I prefer using the 26 and 62, it should get us up high enough to get a good player and not sacrifice what is basically a 1st round pick at the top of the 2nd.

I'd also use our two later 3rds to move back into the mid-late 2nd round.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

1. Shane Wright

20. Frank Nazar

Doubt Washington trades down. Sounds like they're going to trade it for center help (J.T. Miller), but there are other teams we can probably deal with.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

1. Shane Wright

20. Frank Nazar

They said it’s a coin toss between Wright and Slafkovsky, based on what they heard at the combine, which Godin and Basu already spoke about. So no new information, and they are likely being fed by scouts of others teams rather than anything internal.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
Wright is the first player shown from left to right in the Habs official draft article.

Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 10.17.18 AM.png

CONFIRMED WITH LINK: HABS DRAFT SHANE WRIGHT FIRST OVERALL

all jokes aside: interesting tidbit from Adam Nicholas
In the Canadiens' case, the due diligence performed prior to the Draft will certainly help the team prepare to make the first overall pick in what can easily be described as the most important Draft in recent franchise history.

"It's very exciting," explained Adam Nicholas, the Canadiens' director of hockey development. "It gives us a really good piece to start building around. The process right now is just doing our homework. Extensive video work, the biggest component is trying to figure out what players we can actually enhance, and get them to that franchise-type player."

Last edited:

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad