NFL GDT: 2022 NFC Divisional Round: (2) San Francisco 49ers vs (5) Dallas Cowboys

SF vs DAL

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Y'know, people elsewhere were calling Dak the black Kirk Cousins before the season started.

Initially i was like that's a shitty comparison but now? it actually kinda tracks

QB who puts up gaudy regular season numbers but always shits himself in the playoffs. Only difference being Dak can actually win games outside of the 1 PM window and occasionally will beat teams over 500.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Y'know, people elsewhere were calling Dak the black Kirk Cousins before the season started.

Initially i was like that's a shitty comparison but now? it actually kinda tracks

QB who puts up gaudy regular season numbers but always shits himself in the playoffs. Only difference being Dak can actually win games outside of the 1 PM window and occasionally will beat teams over 500.
Dak, Cousins, Jimmy, Carr, Tanny all around the same caliber of QB. Can play well when everything is clicking. Run game with Zeke/Pollard, Cook, CMC and whoever Shanny uses, Jacobs, Henry. Take or limit that and put the game in their hands at their $30 mill cap hits and they aren’t going to carry a team.

Carr is getting moved cause in pet he jumps from a $20 mill cap charge to a $35 mill cap charge then into $42 mill cap hits in the upcoming years. He’s not carrying a team.

If they make what they should then you can afford that extra help. But if they get paid closer to the elite QBs you’re going to be in trouble cause you can’t compensate for the loss of that help.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Zeke has played his last down for Dallas. He’s a $16.7 mill cap hit or a $11.8 mill dead cap hit if cut. Which can be spread over 2 seasons. Have to move off from him.

Gallop coming off an acl last season. They were not able to restructure Cooper which ultimately cost them. Dak clearly misses a guy like Amari but that’s the nature of the nfl when you make more than you can deliver. You want to be paid to 5 in the nfl the. You need to play like a top 5 when the team has to make cap decisions to accommodate your cap hit.

Much different being on a rookie deal behind a prime Smith, Martin and Frederick.

I don’t think ultimately did. They could have tried a long 40 odd yard vs go for it on 4th and 4 near the end of the first half. Which they converted. They had the ball with like 1:30 to go when Pollard went down. Did I miss another situation where they could have tried a FG?

You could see from warm ups to 1st half Dallas was nervous and more aggressive

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

Dak's problem is inconsistency. When he's on his game, he can be great, but when he's off, it can be bad. He still has too many bad games/halves. His ceiling is high, but his floor is still too low.

And with next season being his age 30 and 8th season, there's no reason to expect improvement.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Dak's problem is inconsistency. When he's on his game, he can be great, but when he's off, it can be bad. He still has too many bad games/halves. His ceiling is high, but his floor is still too low.

And with next season being his age 30 and 8th season, there's no reason to expect improvement.

So that makes him a middle tier QB.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
elliott is so washed

this dude SUCKS
3 or 4 years left if I'm not mistaken but no guarantee's left?

he is 3rd string quality, cut him
he was running into the back'c of his lineman, having tackles for loss.

Last edited:

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I've been here since 2009 (I think) and was more active in these kind of threads than I am now. The team was terrible under Tomsula. Pretty dark time in the last 15 years.
Ignore him. He literally just exists to provoke

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
elliott is so washed

this dude SUCKS
3 or 4 years left if I'm not mistaken but no guarantee's left?

he is 3rd string quality, cut him
he was running into the back'c of his lineman, having tackles for loss.
Guarantees are done but he’s still going to cost nearly $12 mill in dead cap either all of 2023 or it can be split over 2 seasons due to what is left of his signing bonus and restructure in his contract. He’s due almost $11 mill in base salary in 2023 so don’t see Dallas keeping him.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
If you switched McCarthy and Shannahan do you think the Cowboys win? I dont think Shannahan had a great game though. Ultimately I think Dallas needs to move on from one and them if they ever want to progress further, and that should be the coach. Maybe this is more on Dak but definitely in the playoffs he should run more. Could be because of his injury but he is an effective runner.
No because the cowboys had the worst QB, like last year

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
No because the cowboys had the worst QB, like last year
You are too down on Dak. Has a bit of McNabb in him too and definitely how he is reluctant to run like Donovan did after his first 5 or 6 years in the league. For now he is the Cowboy's quarterback and probably should expect 9-11 wins with him. I think they could win with him near ideal scenarios, which they dont have now though. See how Jalen plays Sunday cause the niners could just be a team that is so fast and physical they make other team quarterbacks make dumb mistakes.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
FB_IMG_1674510042748.jpg

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
You are too down on Dak. Has a bit of McNabb in him too and definitely how he is reluctant to run like Donovan did after his first 5 or 6 years in the league. For now he is the Cowboy's quarterback and probably should expect 9-11 wins with him. I think they could win with him near ideal scenarios, which they dont have now though. See how Jalen plays Sunday cause the niners could just be a team that is so fast and physical they make other team quarterbacks make dumb mistakes.
The 49ers aren’t the 85 bears or 2005 ravens on defence. He got out played by the last pick in the NFL draft and Jimmy G on back to back years. His offence put up 12 points, with 6 coming from a kicker he threw under the bus the previous week. He threw a lock in the red zone, over threw two TDs and on the seam to Lamb, which was a great play/throw, he had Turpin open. We win that game with probably 12-15 QBs.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The 49ers aren’t the 85 bears or 2005 ravens on defence. He got out played by the last pick in the NFL draft and Jimmy G on back to back years. His offence put up 12 points, with 6 coming from a kicker he threw under the bus the previous week. He threw a lock in the red zone, over threw two TDs and on the seam to Lamb, which was a great play/throw, he had Turpin open. We win that game with probably 12-15 QBs.
Kellen Moore probably deserves some heat for his play calling at the end of the half. Saw the pick Dak made earlier to give SF the ball in FG range to start the drive. Loses Pollard with 1:24 to go. It’s 2nd and 2. Key is to secure the first down so that you can basically drain the clock to under 30 seconds if you need to kick off to SF. You saw Shanny not risk it with Purdy letting the clock run off 20 seconds before 3rd down on their first set of downs.

More is being asked of Dak now without the great OL he started his career with. And this is the result.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Kellen Moore probably deserves some heat for his play calling at the end of the half. Saw the pick Dak made earlier to give SF the ball in FG range to start the drive. Loses Pollard with 1:24 to go. It’s 2nd and 2. Key is to secure the first down so that you can basically drain the clock to under 30 seconds if you need to kick off to SF. You saw Shanny not risk it with Purdy letting the clock run off 20 seconds before 3rd down on their first set of downs.

More is being asked of Dak now without the great OL he started his career with. And this is the result.
People are acting like Dallas OL is bad are crazy. Purdy was running for his life more than Dak. People still gotta making excuses for Dak. You shouldn’t have to protect your 8 year QB and treat him like he is Brock Purdy.

You can make the argument Dallas needs more talent at skill positions, but Dak still threw two picks, one in scoring territory and under threw 2 should be touchdowns.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I do agree that the past two playoff losses he hasnt shown to be a great leader. Basically blaming the refs last season after the loss and now with Maher. I guess Im just biased because I normally see him pick apart the Eagles each year :laugh:. I just wouldnt be as down on him as you are, despite that being a very bad game.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I do agree that the past two playoff losses he hasnt shown to be a great leader. Basically blaming the refs last season after the loss and now with Maher. I guess Im just biased because I normally see him pick apart the Eagles each year :laugh:. I just wouldnt be as down on him as you are, despite that being a very bad game.
I don’t even think it’s me being down on him, Dallas will probably make the playoffs every year he’s healthy, they’ll sprinkle in a couple division titles but when push comes to shove unless Dallas has an insane talent advantage, he’s probably not gonna do enough to get us there.

It isn’t like we’ve asked him to play crazy our last 2 playoff games against the Niners, average to good play probably wins both those games.

For the people comparing Dak to Romo, it’s disrespectful as hell to Romo. Romo makes this year or last years cowboys team a bonafide Super Bowl favourite

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don’t even think it’s me being down on him, Dallas will probably make the playoffs every year he’s healthy, they’ll sprinkle in a couple division titles but when push comes to shove unless Dallas has an insane talent advantage, he’s probably not gonna do enough to get us there.

It isn’t like we’ve asked him to play crazy our last 2 playoff games against the Niners, average to good play probably wins both those games.

For the people comparing Dak to Romo, it’s disrespectful as hell to Romo. Romo makes this year or last years cowboys team a bonafide Super Bowl favourite
Dallas has to go through another season with Dak. Contract dictates he returns to Dallas as he’s a $89 mill dead cap hit if cut.

2024 off-season he’s a $40 mill dead cap hit which can be spread over 2 seasons.

Unfortunately for Dallas there are no other options for them.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Dallas has to go through another season with Dak. Contract dictates he returns to Dallas as he’s a $89 mill dead cap hit if cut.

2024 off-season he’s a $40 mill dead cap hit which can be spread over 2 seasons.

Unfortunately for Dallas there are no other options for them.
He will probably play out his contract barring something crazy. Dallas may as well try going all in and acquire as much talent as possible to build around him, but they’ll go cheap

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
People are acting like Dallas OL is bad are crazy. Purdy was running for his life more than Dak. People still gotta making excuses for Dak. You shouldn’t have to protect your 8 year QB and treat him like he is Brock Purdy.

You can make the argument Dallas needs more talent at skill positions, but Dak still threw two picks, one in scoring territory and under threw 2 should be touchdowns.
That was likely to be how it ended up going regardless. The Cowboys wanted the ball in Purdy's hands and to pressure him. The 49ers were basically playing against the big play and just wait them out since Dallas was basically in the position where either Dak and Lamb led them down the field or they weren't scoring because they weren't running the ball and were not taking any chances with their kicking game. They basically dared Dak to drive on them and he only managed it once.

fin8

Apr 10, 2010
sault.ste.marie,on
This loss was all on Dakota. I was never a huge fan of Dak. It’s not like I despise him, but I knew there was something about him that didn’t make me believe. Oh well, time to concentrate on my Bruins in hockey. Now, there’s a team that’s playing like they can become champions.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This loss was all on Dakota. I was never a huge fan of Dak. It’s not like I despised him, but I knew there was something about him that didn’t make me believe. Oh well, time to concentrate on my Bruins in hockey. Now, there’s a team that’s playing like they can become champions.
Dak is a fine B level QB. Middle of the pick starter. But he’s a guy who needs help but when he’s going to count $49 mill against your cap next season, that costs him the help he needs. But hey, he got his money but he’s going to have to take the heat for when the team loses and he plays poorly.

Dak is in that group with Carr, Jimmy, Cousins, Tanny. Good solid starters so long as they get paid what they should to keep as much of their supporting cast around them. Once they cost too much and you have to let a couple of important guy us go, they can’t elevate the remaining roster.

Dak needed Cooper but the $20 mill cap hit Cooper had the Cowboys couldn’t afford due to the overpriced deals they gave Zeke and Dak.

Reactions: fin8

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Dak is a fine B level QB. Middle of the pick starter. But he’s a guy who needs help but when he’s going to count $49 mill against your cap next season, that costs him the help he needs. But hey, he got his money but he’s going to have to take the heat for when the team loses and he plays poorly.

Dak is in that group with Carr, Jimmy, Cousins, Tanny. Good solid starters so long as they get paid what they should to keep as much of their supporting cast around them. Once they cost too much and you have to let a couple of important guy us go, they can’t elevate the remaining roster.

Dak needed Cooper but the $20 mill cap hit Cooper had the Cowboys couldn’t afford due to the overpriced deals they gave Zeke and Dak.
Salary cap in the NFL is a myth with restructuring.

Cowboys could have kept Cooper but they chose Gallup over him (dumb decision). And it was likely because Cooper chose not to get vaccinated, got Covid and missed extra games (and didn't seem himself when he did come back).

Dak had a rough game against a really good defence. He missed some throws that cost Dallas - the bomb to Lamb, which was a catch, but some more arm strength on it and Lamb was gone. And the throw to Gallup. But this D has a history of making very good QBs have bad nights. This year Dak had a really high CPOE+epa, despite having noticeably less offensive talent than last season, and throwing an uncharacteristically high number of picks (half of which weren't turnover-worthy plays).

I feel comfortable ranking Dak around 8-10 - so unless you trade for Aaron Rodgers, you don't have any sort of chance to upgrade the position. I don't think Dak can absolutely carry a team through a playoff run, but I also don't think there's a QB in the NFC that can anymore. Add a legitimate NFL receiver (Noah Brown ain't it) and pray a healthy off-season for Gallup will do wonders.

Reactions: fin8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad