NFL GDT: 2022 NFC Divisional Round: (2) San Francisco 49ers vs (5) Dallas Cowboys

SF vs DAL

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fin8

Apr 10, 2010
sault.ste.marie,on
Salary cap in the NFL is a myth with restructuring.

Cowboys could have kept Cooper but they chose Gallup over him (dumb decision). And it was likely because Cooper chose not to get vaccinated, got Covid and missed extra games (and didn't seem himself when he did come back).

Dak had a rough game against a really good defence. He missed some throws that cost Dallas - the bomb to Lamb, which was a catch, but some more arm strength on it and Lamb was gone. And the throw to Gallup. But this D has a history of making very good QBs have bad nights. This year Dak had a really high CPOE+epa, despite having noticeably less offensive talent than last season, and throwing an uncharacteristically high number of picks (half of which weren't turnover-worthy plays).

I feel comfortable ranking Dak around 8-10 - so unless you trade for Aaron Rodgers, you don't have any sort of chance to upgrade the position. I don't think Dak can absolutely carry a team through a playoff run, but I also don't think there's a QB in the NFC that can anymore. Add a legitimate NFL receiver (Noah Brown ain't it) and pray a healthy off-season for Gallup will do wonders.
He’ll play for the Cowboys again next season. The end result of that season, will absolutely decide his future going forward with the Cowboys.

Reactions: JimmyApples

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
He’ll play for the Cowboys again next season. The end result of that season, will absolutely decide his future going forward with the Cowboys.
I’m not opposed from moving on whenever, but who do you have replacing him?

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

Cowboys could have kept Cooper but they chose Gallup over him (dumb decision). And it was likely because Cooper chose not to get vaccinated, got Covid and missed extra games (and didn't seem himself when he did come back).

Dak had a rough game against a really good defence. He missed some throws that cost Dallas - the bomb to Lamb, which was a catch, but some more arm strength on it and Lamb was gone. And the throw to Gallup. But this D has a history of making very good QBs have bad nights. This year Dak had a really high CPOE+epa, despite having noticeably less offensive talent than last season, and throwing an uncharacteristically high number of picks (half of which weren't turnover-worthy plays).

I feel comfortable ranking Dak around 8-10 - so unless you trade for Aaron Rodgers, you don't have any sort of chance to upgrade the position. I don't think Dak can absolutely carry a team through a playoff run, but I also don't think there's a QB in the NFC that can anymore. Add a legitimate NFL receiver (Noah Brown ain't it) and pray a healthy off-season for Gallup will do wonders.
I think the Cooper move was mostly about freeing up the room needed to give Von Miller or Randy Gregory a big deal, but Stephen Jones chased them both away with his funky contract offers.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I’m not opposed from moving on whenever, but who do you have replacing him?
When it becomes possible to move off Dak, may have to just try to get by while rebuilding the roster to support a QB.

This season there were 9 non first round QBs in Brady, Dak, Cousins, Wilson, Mills, Carr, Smith, hurts and Jimmy G (I’m putting him over Lance as I would put Watson over brissett). So slightly better than 1/4 are non first rounders. But all of them are nfl starters save for Mills who is a young guy getting a shot and he’s going to be replaced should Houston take a QB early. So a non first rounder has to hit right away. They don’t get that time to develop into the role.

Lots of recycled former first rounders just due to them getting starts and having experience. Thus the reason for guys to stay in college until they are sure fire first rounders so that they will get game action when drafted.

But the reason to replace Daknis that you’re not getting $50 mill worth of value. Chances of finding someone better is like 20%. But you might be a better team with someone less expedite a better supporting cast.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If you're moving on from Dak, you're rebuilding the whole thing. Don't see that happening this year or next though.

Pretty much every time the Cowboys replaced their starter it was either because of retirement or because someone came in and outplayed the incumbent, save for very specific examples when they had nobody. My guess is that that's how Jerry will continue to function here, he's not going to just decide on his own to move on from his quarterback that's given him some success. The perception seems to be that he's some crazed Al Davis-like lunatic, but that's never how he's operated with the actual football operations.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If you're moving on from Dak, you're rebuilding the whole thing. Don't see that happening this year or next though.

Pretty much every time the Cowboys replaced their starter it was either because of retirement or because someone came in and outplayed the incumbent, save for very specific examples when they had nobody. My guess is that that's how Jerry will continue to function here, he's not going to just decide on his own to move on from his quarterback that's given him some success. The perception seems to be that he's some crazed Al Davis-like lunatic, but that's never how he's operated with the actual football operations.
Jerry isn’t senile like old Al Davis in his final decade. But he allows his emotions to get the better of the football decisions. He needed to be less emotional to guys like Kraft was to RB Martin whom he loved as a person but from a football pov he was willing to let him walk.

Like Zeke is now saying he’d take a pay cut from his scheduled $10.9 mill base to remain in Dallas. He could be a $1 mill player yet it still cost Dallas $7.5 mill against the cap. Guy is a backup and doesn’t play special teams. That’s why a lot of vets don’t get signed to play spot duty because teams typically rely on non starters for special teams duties. Not asking an 8 year plus veteran to do that who hasn’t done that before in the nfl.

Football ops decision is to say goodbye to Zeke as a post June cut. No need to bring him back. Best to move on.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

If you're evaluating on this season alone, he wasn't really close to 8-10. I expect better next year but still

Sometimes Prescott looks like he's Top5, then he looks like he's barely a starter. I see him kind of like Donovan McNabb.

Dallas isn't gonna anything crazy at QB like trade for Rogers/Carr or sign Brady. They might draft a QB for the future but Prescott will still be QB for foreseeagble future and their ceiling will probably always be Divisional Round.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
When it becomes possible to move off Dak, may have to just try to get by while rebuilding the roster to support a QB.

This season there were 9 non first round QBs in Brady, Dak, Cousins, Wilson, Mills, Carr, Smith, hurts and Jimmy G (I’m putting him over Lance as I would put Watson over brissett). So slightly better than 1/4 are non first rounders. But all of them are nfl starters save for Mills who is a young guy getting a shot and he’s going to be replaced should Houston take a QB early. So a non first rounder has to hit right away. They don’t get that time to develop into the role.

Lots of recycled former first rounders just due to them getting starts and having experience. Thus the reason for guys to stay in college until they are sure fire first rounders so that they will get game action when drafted.

But the reason to replace Daknis that you’re not getting $50 mill worth of value. Chances of finding someone better is like 20%. But you might be a better team with someone less expedite a better supporting cast.
Dak made $40M this past season and was T-8th highest paid QB. I’d say his salary is pretty in line with his QB ranking.

Reactions: fin8

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
If you're evaluating on this season alone, he wasn't really close to 8-10. I expect better next year but still

Sometimes Prescott looks like he's Top5, then he looks like he's barely a starter. I see him kind of like Donovan McNabb.

Dallas isn't gonna anything crazy at QB like trade for Rogers/Carr or sign Brady. They might draft a QB for the future but Prescott will still be QB for foreseeagble future and their ceiling will probably always be Divisional Round.
I think Dak is pretty comfortably 8-10 and the advanced stats back it up (CPOE+epa). He threw some bad picks but he also had a lot of bad luck. His trademark was putting up 27+ points, only not reaching that mark a few games and leading the NFL’s top offense since he came back from injury.

Reactions: fin8

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4