2022 draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
E7je7fXXMAkN5kw

Based on this model for the 2022 season, this would put us 4th to last.
Are you really going to believe a model that doesn't have Buffalo dead last? Look at their goalies.

NJ beefed up their roster, but I see the Wings finishing above BUF and SJ. Possibly LA and NASH, though both teams added a little in free agency. There's always a team or two that bombs for whatever reason too.

I had the Wings 9 +/-2 from bottom before free agency, I think I'm at 7th +/- 2 spots now.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Are you really going to believe a model that doesn't have Buffalo dead last? Look at their goalies.

NJ beefed up their roster, but I see the Wings finishing above BUF and SJ. Possibly LA and NASH, though both teams added a little in free agency. There's always a team or two that bombs for whatever reason too.

I had the Wings 9 +/-2 from bottom before free agency, I think I'm at 7th +/- 2 spots now.

Wins above replacement isn't a great stat in baseball which is where it originated. It's an even worse fit for hockey because of hockey's 3 point game model (OTL).

Standing points above replacement (SPAR) is more useful in determining a player's impact than WAR in hockey.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It looks like there are a metric ton of centers coming up. How would you rank them in your too-early predictions?

Well my top 3 would definitely be Wright, Savoie, Lambert.

After that I am very interested in Noah Ostlund. He is looking like my early "consolation prize" if we can't get any of the above 3. Then I am also interested in Nazar, Cooley, Geekie, etc. Then you have the OHL kids that didn't get to play. Fimis and Goyette.

All in all, looking like a strong group where we should have plenty of options. Should be a really strong center draft. Better skaters this year as well.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Well my top 3 would definitely be Wright, Savoie, Lambert.

After that I am very interested in Noah Ostlund. He is looking like my early "consolation prize" if we can't get any of the above 3. Then I am also interested in Nazar, Cooley, Geekie, etc. Then you have the OHL kids that didn't get to play. Fimis and Goyette.

All in all, looking like a strong group where we should have plenty of options. Should be a really strong center draft. Better skaters this year as well.

I'm pretty worried about the lost year for these kids. The 2021 draft had some uncertainty but most of the kids who were going to get drafted found a way to play. But there are a lot of kids out of the OHL in this year's draft that lost a whole season so that makes me skeptical of the draft being as good as advertised.

This might be worth a read.

2022 NHL Draft Ranking - The Early Look, July 8th, 2021 - HockeyProspect.com

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm pretty worried about the lost year for these kids. The 2021 draft had some uncertainty but most of the kids who were going to get drafted found a way to play. But there are a lot of kids out of the OHL in this year's draft that lost a whole season so that makes me skeptical of the draft being as good as advertised.

This might be worth a read.

2022 NHL Draft Ranking - The Early Look, July 8th, 2021 - HockeyProspect.com

Yeah I literally based who to look into further entirely off of this, lol. Always a good starting point for me. Until I get a pre-season list from Bob and we have the Hlinka.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Yeah I literally based who to look into further entirely off of this, lol. Always a good starting point for me. Until I get a pre-season list from Bob and we have the Hlinka.

I found a couple Youtube videos of that Noah Ostlund kid. He could be this year's Stutzle/Eklund kind of riser. He's in the Djurgarden system like Eklund as well.

#15 here. #21 in the video is Jonathan Lekkerimäki at eliteprospects.com That kid also looks like he's got good hands. 2022 eligible.

He's live today! #12 for Sweden against Germany at the Hlinka.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I found a couple Youtube videos of that Noah Ostlund kid. He could be this year's Stutzle/Eklund kind of riser. He's in the Djurgarden system like Eklund as well.

#15 here. #21 in the video is Jonathan Lekkerimäki at eliteprospects.com That kid also looks like he's got good hands. 2022 eligible.

He's live today! #12 for Sweden against Germany at the Hlinka.

This is starting already? Where did the summer go? o_O

I like Ostlund, I think he has a really nice skill set and can stick at center.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
This is starting already? Where did the summer go? o_O

I like Ostlund, I think he has a really nice skill set and can stick at center.

It started already.

Ostlund was on the ice for a shorthanded goal against. Elias Salomonsson took the puck behind his net, skated forward to his own blueline and made a drop pass that would make Cholowski proud that Roman Kechter intercepted. Ostlund had to reverse quickly but couldn't catch up to him and Kechter scored. Pretty snipe.

Also Germany is bullying the Swedish kids. When did Swedes become so soft?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Start of the 3rd: This kid might be worth keeping an eye on. He quarterbacked Sweden's PP2 and skated the puck pretty well up ice. Got it in the zone, helped win a board battle and his linemate dished the puck to an open man in front for a goal.

Filip Bystedt at eliteprospects.com
6'4" draft eligible Swedish center with decent speed and showed good hands moving the puck up ice.

EDIT: Ostlund is on the first PK unit as well as the first PP unit for Sweden as their 1C. at around 15:35 of the 3rd period he did a really good job on the PK of forcing the German defenseman into a bad shooting lane, blocked a shot and then won the battle to clear it down ice.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Here were the game's standouts in my opinion.

Sweden
Sweden U18 at eliteprospects.com
#12 Noah Ostlund
#15 Erik Pahlsson
#18 Filip Bystedt
#19 Rasmus Rudslatt
#20 Liam Ohgren
#23 Jonathan Lekkerimaki

#3 Elias Salomonsson
#4 Hugo Fransson
#7 Calle Odelius

Germany
Germany U18 at eliteprospects.com
#7 Erik Hordler
#11 Mattias Pischoff
#14 Moritz Elias, brother of Florian Elias. A ton of skill here.
#16 Roman Kechter

The 4 that were the best in my opinion were Noah Ostlund, Bystedt, Ohgren and Moritz Elias.

Ostlund was Sweden's clear #1 do-it-all center. Powerplay, penalty kill, last minute of the game. Very hard worker, pretty good passer and looked like he had a hard shot. Didn't look great on faceoffs though, and definitely needs work on his skating. Might have a little Lias Andersson in his game. Or he might have some Zetterberg in there. But he looks like a Red Wings kind of prospect.

Ohgren showed a ton of hustle and scored 2 goals. Very good speed and always looked deadly when playing with Bystedt.

Bystedt showed good wheels and was very strong defensively. Won most of his faceoffs and Germany could never get anything going when he was on the ice.

Moritz Elias was one of the few bright spots for Germany as far as I could tell. Germany did next to nothing in the 3rd period

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Has Ostlund grown at all?

He looks around 5'11" or 6'0". He was playing with Jonathan Lekkerimaki on his line who is 5'11" and they looked about the same size.

And Ostlund showed good compete in the corners for a skinny kid. If he got beat he doubled down on his efforts to dog the guy who got the puck from him.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
It looks like there are a metric ton of centers coming up. How would you rank them in your too-early predictions?

Right - I think the thing that I have found shocking is that each of these drafts have quality prospects but sometimes skew to one position over another. We've known for a while that the 2021 Draft was Defense Rich, just like we've known that 2022 was Center rich comparatively. If we're going to pray for lottery tickets and some luck, it's 2022 that we'll want it because this will be our best chance to score a 1st Line Center

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I'm not getting my hopes up. Buffalo, Seattle, Ottawa, and Anaheim will all be worse than us, possibly CBJ too. We won't be a bottom 5 team, but we will be a bottom 8 or 9 team. Those are bad odds for the lottery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino