Prospect Info: 2022 CBJ Development Camp | July 11-13 | Chiller North

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I did make it over there and watched both groups. Here are some quick observations again I am not a scout and 1st day of dev camp.

Skating drills for edge work showed some guys it was no issue and their were others you could see they needed work, but it is 1st day of dev camp.

Marchenko - looked fast, bigger and a cut above and even went on his own after they finished and worked on skating drill for edges after this morning’s practice. He looked fast, confident and abused quite a few in 1 on 1 drills.

Jirecek - looks big and on PP work rattle a few off the goalie quite a few times. He did take big sweeping crossovers but looked good defending and pushing guys to the outside. Stick-checked quite a few as well.

Johnson - He looked fast as well and whichever guy defended they defended him like it was their Stanley Cup, but he did make a few look foolish. Edgework drills looked easy for him this morning like a walk in the park.

Matyechuk - was thicker than I imagined. Skating drills were a breeze for him as well. He just always looked calm almost serene - crazy. Also he skated and attacked like a forward and often thought he was a forward. He did defend well and didn’t see much get by him.

Dumais - skating drills looked as though he could use some work just looked like it was harder for him (edgework). No denying 1 on 1 he was going to get a shot off and was usually on net and scored. He was good on the stick check.

Luca - looked skilled and had a hard time on edges work drills. Kept up and challenged so the pacing thing i saw about him could be an off game. Again this is practice but they did go hard. 1 on 1 drills when defending left a big gap between him and the attacker (noticeable).

Cuelemens - looks big as well and skated really well. Lead every skating drill with gusto for group 2. Defended well in 1 on 1’s and looked smooth passing - very efficient and crisp.

I went there to see who stuck out without grabbing a directory. Some guys had some moments - Cameron Supryka was fast, skated well and hustled

Thanks!

SK7CBJ

Jul 11, 2022
Attended both sessions this AM. Forgot my phone, as I was late so no pics. General observations: KJ, Krill and Ceulemans were above most of the others. Del Bel is good stick handler with a good shot. Dumais reminds me of Cam. Malatesta with a good shot. Pyyhtia was impressive at times, a pleasant surprise.
On defense Jiricek has a booming shot, but looks a bit slow. He did well with using his stick on defense. Bjorgvik-Holm has good size and defended well also. Only the first day. Corson Ceulemans took a puck to the right ankle toward the end of his session. He limped off for a while but returned to finish the session.

SavesEmNot

Jul 2, 2012
Denton M -

David J -

Lars

I know expectations are fairly high for Marchenko, but does that mean they have to work him into every interview with the other players?

"How was your first day?"

"Good. Met some new faces, did some drills, had some laughs. Tough, but fun."

"What did you think of Marchenko?"

"He looks good. Fast, skilled. Can shoot the puck."

"But just how good is Kirill Marchenko?"

"Uh, like I said, he's really good. He's played in the KHL, against men, so good for him."

"But what does that have to do with Kirill Marchenko?"

"..."

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
somehow playing luca on the wing makes less sense then kj

im sure it was a non positional drill
It was non positional - don’t read too much into it

Over Voracek or Bjorkstrand? :laugh: Id like to see a little more than some drills next to kids before I start guessing where he plays in the lineup
Obviously he should pop against everyone else today and I agree - wait until fall camp and jobs are on the line.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021

Maybe I'm just seeing things in his answers that aren't really there, but I got a feeling Larsen is really interested in watching the new players and building personal connections with them early on, and that's awesome to see from the HC. It's likely that his main goal there is just to get first impressions of players who are close or supposed to make the team in fall (Marchenko), but even then I'm sure he's paying a lot of attention to what other prospects are doing as well.

Reactions: LJ7 and CBJx614

pled

Sep 7, 2009
I did make it over there and watched both groups. Here are some quick observations again I am not a scout and 1st day of dev camp.

Skating drills for edge work showed some guys it was no issue and their were others you could see they needed work, but it is 1st day of dev camp.

Marchenko - looked fast, bigger and a cut above and even went on his own after they finished and worked on skating drill for edges after this morning’s practice. He looked fast, confident and abused quite a few in 1 on 1 drills.

Jirecek - looks big and on PP work rattle a few off the goalie quite a few times. He did take big sweeping crossovers but looked good defending and pushing guys to the outside. Stick-checked quite a few as well.

Johnson - He looked fast as well and whichever guy defended they defended him like it was their Stanley Cup, but he did make a few look foolish. Edgework drills looked easy for him this morning like a walk in the park.

Matyechuk - was thicker than I imagined. Skating drills were a breeze for him as well. He just always looked calm almost serene - crazy. Also he skated and attacked like a forward and often thought he was a forward. He did defend well and didn’t see much get by him.

Dumais - skating drills looked as though he could use some work just looked like it was harder for him (edgework). No denying 1 on 1 he was going to get a shot off and was usually on net and scored. He was good on the stick check.

Luca - looked skilled and had a hard time on edges work drills. Kept up and challenged so the pacing thing i saw about him could be an off game. Again this is practice but they did go hard. 1 on 1 drills when defending left a big gap between him and the attacker (noticeable).

Cuelemens - looks big as well and skated really well. Lead every skating drill with gusto for group 2. Defended well in 1 on 1’s and looked smooth passing - very efficient and crisp.

I went there to see who stuck out without grabbing a directory. Some guys had some moments - Cameron Supryka was fast, skated well and hustled
great work. Supryka is the only notable fa ?

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
A few notes as I made it to session 2 today:

Johnson -- as advertised clearly the most offensively gifted out there. Love the creativity and he practices at game speed which I love.

Jiricek -- definitely has some great size to him. Can tell he's rusty but has some nice hands and a heavy shot. Stride is short but had some good lateral movement to him. I heard from his interview yesterday he hasn't been on the ice in weeks and you could tell as he was understandably winded on a few occasions. Overall a solid first impression.

Marchenko -- mentioned it in another thread but this guy has a great combo of size, speed, and hands. Really seemed to be enjoying himself out there (except when he flubbed a passes/shots). Seems to be able to pick his spots with his shot too. I can easily see him jumping a number of players on the depth chart and making the opening day starting lineup.

Mateychuk -- has a sturdy build for his size and a decent skater. Was expecting more of an offensive skill set based on all the scouting reports I read but honestly didn't see anything outside of the ordinary (shot needs a lot of work) compared to the rest of the D not named Jiricek there. Hopefully at tomorrow's tourney I will see more flashes from him.

Del Bel Belluz -- good size, decent skater, competed hard. Nothing really stood out good or bad which I guess is good.

Loved seeing Lars out there with all the prospects. I think it does mean something to these kids to see the HC investing time. Lots of shoulder checks his way from the guys to see if he was watching 'em.

Excited to see how they all look tomorrow in full ice game situations.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I will take some video tomorrow.
Okay Day 2 Observations - I was only able to watch group 2 which contained Ceulemans, Sillinger, Dumais, etc. (guys most likely to be back in college, juniors or Cleveland). Group 1, skated later today and unfortunately work called, which contained the guys like Johnson, Marchenko, Jiricek, Matyechuk, Luca etc.

I planned on better video but again work got in the way, so here is what I got

Ceulemans - looked good again today, physical, good passing but kept shooting just wide of the net. (Lars was watching him a lot from Center ice)

Dumais - looked okay today, battled in front of net drills. Definitely perked up after Lars went over and talked to him.

Fisher - I did not mention him yesterday but today he stood out big time. Big kid that brought the body today in 2v2 puck retrieval drills (usually won those battles) and rush drills. I can't believe this kid just graduated from High School. I tried to get some pictures of him next to Ceulemans to give you a size comparison (but didn't). He is not lanky. He did not look out of place at all today. Very aggressive - I don't want you to think he is only physical, he had a good shot and good 1v1 skills. His weight says 170lbs but there is no way.

Bjork - I should have mentioned him yesterday. Good size and speed, Very smooth skater, great edges and looked good today as well (Lars started watching him 1/2 way through the practice).

Sillinger - He was not there yesterday and looked like he fit in. He didn't jump out but was good.

Working to post my crappy videos, I took tomorrow morning off and will have better videos

Last edited:

SK7CBJ

Jul 11, 2022
Saw both groups again today. Grp 2 was first and O. Sillinger was the only addition. Ceulemans had difficulty with edge work, but impressed again in shooting, stick-handling and positional play. Clayton displayed similar to Ceulemans. Good size and build also. Bjorgvik-Holm has a big and accurate shot. James Fisher, a high school 2022draftee from Massachusetts displayed solid skating and puck control skills. He has a good build and certainly didn't look out of place.

Grp1 followed showcasing some of the offensive talent. KJ plays much faster than everyone and made a penalty shot goal at the conclusion of the session. Marchenko made several goals, with hard to handle pucks. On one rush he took a pass in his skates, kicked it to his backhand and elevated the puck for a silky goal. Del Bel was again noticeable with his puck control and shooting touch. Jiricek looked more rested today (maybe jet lag was his problem yesterday). He has a canon for a shot. Mateychuk was solid.

Looking forward to the 3 on 3 tomorrow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad