Prospect Info: 2022 CBJ Development Camp | July 11-13 | Chiller North

NotTooWideArena

May 20, 2021
I made it to the Chiller this morning and will upload some video and stuff. It's been a while since I was in a building with an ice sheet, so it was nice to be reminded how much I enjoy this time of year. I spent most of my time watching the d-men, and trying to catch video of the scrimmages. (They did 5-on-5 for two periods and then 3-on-3 for two.)

To me, it looked like Johnson and Marchenko were the most vocal and active guys, in terms of communicating during drills, encouraging teammates, etc. This may be a result of experience, or possibly natural leadership.

The other forward who looked comfortable with everything, although less demonstrative, was Pyyhtia. Being a fan of many things Suomi, I wanted to see him, and I was impressed with his overall fluidity. He didn't look as skinny as I expected, even if he isn't brawny. I can see him as a multi-purpose, middle six winger in the NHL someday, (if the organization isn't over-loaded with guys for that role already). Maybe he'll develop in ways I didn't foresee.

During 3-on-3, he skated with Del Bel Belluz and Mateychuk, which I took as a good sign.

Dumais doesn't play a small man's game, he goes where he needs to go and does what he needs to do. He definitely has the hands and wheels to play at an NHL level. He may be a few years away, but I wouldn't bet against him.

For me, the surprise was Aiden Hreschuk, who was drafted #94 overall by Carolina in 2021. He's "only" 5-11 but has the shoulders of a lumberjack. He seemed solid positionly and willing to use his frame. In a 5-on-5 session he found a sweet cross-ice pass through traffic to create a chance for Sillinger, which the goalie (I believe Cajan?) denied. If I were in charge I would invite him to training camp. He played at Boston College last year and I wonder why the 'Canes didn't sign him.

Culemans looked comfortable in all situations and he's very close to ready to take somebody's roster spot. He's no more than a year away.

Hjorth looked solid, particularly with a crunching check on Bjorgvik-Holm right in my face. And Supryka also seemed like a "right place at the right time" guy. Richard moves well for a guy his size. I suspect Cleveland is going to have a solid contingent of full-sized d-men the next few seasons. They can't all stay in Columbus ....

When they went to 3-on-3, Jiricek skated with Johnson and Marchenko (which I immediately thought of as the Draft Capital Account). Jiricek has obvious tools and did look like he's still getting back to form. I would be only mildly surprised if he made a bid for a spot this season.

The intensity level seemed high and the attitude positive. I am now officially a Dumais fan and a Hreschuk well-wisher.

(Update) My video apparently needs to be converted to a smaller format, or I'll upload it to Instagram and do a link or something. It's not that great, but I'd like to get it out there.

Last edited:

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Yeah thanks for the reports everybody, takes away a bit of the Gudbranson sting.

Development Camp is over now and the next time we see some of these players is basically Traverse City, right?

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Yeah thanks for the reports everybody, takes away a bit of the Gudbranson sting.

Development Camp is over now and the next time we see some of these players is basically Traverse City, right?

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021

WJC in August. Jiricek, Svozil on Team Czechia (maybe Rysavy too?), Ceulemans and possibly Mateychuk with Team Canada... Knazko should also be eligible. Who am I forgetting?

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
For me, the surprise was Aiden Hreschuk, who was drafted #94 overall by Carolina in 2021. He's "only" 5-11 but has the shoulders of a lumberjack. He seemed solid positionly and willing to use his frame. In a 5-on-5 session he found a sweet cross-ice pass through traffic to create a chance for Sillinger, which the goalie (I believe Cajan?) denied. If I were in charge I would invite him to training camp. He played at Boston College last year and I wonder why the 'Canes didn't sign him.

Hreschuk isn't leaving college now, is he? He's finally poised to get some big ice time at BC.

Carolina didn't sign him because he was in college, and then they traded him for Domi after Hreschuk had a somewhat disappointing freshman year.

NotTooWideArena

May 20, 2021
Hreschuk isn't leaving college now, is he? He's finally poised to get some big ice time at BC.

Carolina didn't sign him because he was in college, and then they traded him for Domi after Hreschuk had a somewhat disappointing freshman year.
Cool. I completely whiffed on finding that info in my prep. And I have no reason to think he's leaving college. So that's another college prospect to track.
Thanks for filling my knowledge gap.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Was the Domi trade return. not unsigned prospect.

Reactions: NotTooWideArena

SK7CBJ

Jul 11, 2022
I made it to the Chiller this morning and will upload some video and stuff. It's been a while since I was in a building with an ice sheet, so it was nice to be reminded how much I enjoy this time of year. I spent most of my time watching the d-men, and trying to catch video of the scrimmages. (They did 5-on-5 for two periods and then 3-on-3 for two.)

To me, it looked like Johnson and Marchenko were the most vocal and active guys, in terms of communicating during drills, encouraging teammates, etc. This may be a result of experience, or possibly natural leadership.

The other forward who looked comfortable with everything, although less demonstrative, was Pyyhtia. Being a fan of many things Suomi, I wanted to see him, and I was impressed with his overall fluidity. He didn't look as skinny as I expected, even if he isn't brawny. I can see him as a multi-purpose, middle six winger in the NHL someday, (if the organization isn't over-loaded with guys for that role already). Maybe he'll develop in ways I didn't foresee.

During 3-on-3, he skated with Del Bel Belluz and Mateychuk, which I took as a good sign.

Dumais doesn't play a small man's game, he goes where he needs to go and does what he needs to do. He definitely has the hands and wheels to play at an NHL level. He may be a few years away, but I wouldn't bet against him.

Culemans looked comfortable in all situations and he's very close to ready to take somebody's roster spot. He's no more than a year away.

Hjorth looked solid, particularly with a crunching check on Bjorgvik-Holm right in my face. And Supryka also seemed like a "right place at the right time" guy. Richard moves well for a guy his size. I suspect Cleveland is going to have a solid contingent of full-sized d-men the next few seasons. They can't all stay in Columbus ....

When they went to 3-on-3, Jiricek skated with Johnson and Marchenko (which I immediately thought of as the Draft Capital Account). Jiricek has obvious tools and did look like he's still getting back to form. I would be only mildly surprised if he made a bid for a spot this season.

The intensity level seemed high and the attitude positive. I am now officially a Dumais fan and a Hreschuk well-wisher.

(Update) My video apparently needs to be converted to a smaller format, or I'll upload it to Instagram and do a link or something. It's not that great, but I'd like to get it out there.
Very accurate report of the 5v5, 4v4 and 3v3. KJ man handled the 5v5 and scored 2 goals in the 20 mins. his motor is always on overdrive and his vision is spectacular! Sillinger represented himself well with multiple good looks and scored in the 3v3. James Fisher, our 7th round selection in 2022, skated well. He played well positionally and had a few good looks, but chose to dish-off rather than take the shot. He was my over achiever for the camp. Dumais mixed it up well and did not let his diminutive stature become an issue. He will likely gain a lot of insight from our latest acquisition, JOHNNY HOCKEY!!!!! Jiricek and Mateychuk earned their ELC contracts with solid play. Jiricek has a great shot and wasn't shy about being offensive. Mateychuk was amazing with his stick handling, walking the blue line on drills before the competition. he used his body and his stick well in playing his position also.

Reactions: NotTooWideArena

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad