News: 2022 Arbitration Mega Thread

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

So it will be a 2 year contract if it goes to arbitration.

Can any CBA experts confirm: is Trenin a UFA at the end of a 2-year contract? On the Preds board we thought he would be, but any independent confirmation would be appreciated!

It's a horrifyingly lowball offer from the Preds to begin with, and if you are going to make such an awful offer to a good player and THEN he's UFA at the end of it... welll.... that does not bode well. :(

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Can any CBA experts confirm: is Trenin a UFA at the end of a 2-year contract? On the Preds board we thought he would be, but any independent confirmation would be appreciated!

It's a horrifyingly lowball offer from the Preds to begin with, and if you are going to make such an awful offer to a good player and THEN he's UFA at the end of it... welll.... that does not bode well. :(
Meh. No reason to sweat it. All initial arb offers from teams are lowball. Makes it look like they gave more when they agree to a deal closer to the players ask. Poile usually gets these deals done before the hearing. I think we will hear something tomorrow afternoon or Tuesday am

And.... Trenin has 5 pro seasons under his belt. He will be 27 with 7 seasons in 2 years so I would say he will be a UFA then

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Meh. No reason to sweat it. All initial arb offers from teams are lowball. Makes it look like they gave more when they agree to a deal closer to the players ask. Poile usually gets these deals done before the hearing. I think we will hear something tomorrow afternoon or Tuesday am
I am going to sweat it. I really like Trenin as a player. I think his camp and Poile's have already banged heads in the past. I don't think trying to low-ball him again will sit well. It's not quite the same "shrug and we'll all be friends at the end" like it might be with other players IMHO. Going to (or to the brink of) arbitration with a player like Grimaldi, now that's "Meh". Because at the end of the day we don't really care if there are hard feelings and the player ends up on the outs. It's not the same with a player you really like and feel has upside but is being visibly underappreciated by the organization across multiple contract negotiations.

If Trenin ends up on a 2-yr deal and if folks corroborate that he'll be a UFA at the end of that 2-years, then I'm going to straight up assume he's not going to be a Predator past the end of it. The saving grace would be if somebody came on here and said, whoah hold up, he'll still be RFA after 2 years. Or if he ends up on a 1-year deal. (Well, or a long-term deal, but I'm assuming that's not so likely at this point).

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
See my second post(that I thought was an edit)

He will be UFA in 2 years.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
See my second post(that I thought was an edit)

He will be UFA in 2 years.
I'm the one who posted that on our board. :) I'm just looking for somebody else to stroll along and prove us all wrong with some miracle twist that we didn't see coming. :)

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

The report is Nashville filed for a two year contract, so yes Trenin would be a UFA after a two year arbitration award if they go through with the full salary arbitration process.

I haven’t looked through anywhere near the comparable players but have skimmed a few. My napkin guess would be an arbitration award of at $1.5m to $1.8m for a single year, but bumped up to $1.6m to $1.9m for a two year award.

Isac Lundestrom signing for 2x $1.8m with comparable G to PTS ratio was one that stood out to me.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

27 yrs old on July 1st or 7 pro years.

on July 1 2024 he is 27….he’s a UFA

Reactions: lanceuppercut75

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I am going to sweat it. I really like Trenin as a player. I think his camp and Poile's have already banged heads in the past. I don't think trying to low-ball him again will sit well. It's not quite the same "shrug and we'll all be friends at the end" like it might be with other players IMHO. Going to (or to the brink of) arbitration with a player like Grimaldi, now that's "Meh". Because at the end of the day we don't really care if there are hard feelings and the player ends up on the outs. It's not the same with a player you really like and feel has upside but is being visibly underappreciated by the organization across multiple contract negotiations.

If Trenin ends up on a 2-yr deal and if folks corroborate that he'll be a UFA at the end of that 2-years, then I'm going to straight up assume he's not going to be a Predator past the end of it. The saving grace would be if somebody came on here and said, whoah hold up, he'll still be RFA after 2 years. Or if he ends up on a 1-year deal. (Well, or a long-term deal, but I'm assuming that's not so likely at this point).
It’s not the term you need to worry about. It’s really really rare that a player who actually goes to their arbitration meeting stays with the team longer term. It is not a good system and destroys the player / team relationship

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
Just super disappointing as a Devils fan that it is (seemingly) coming to this. That is an insulting offer from NJ.
It's arbitration, it's supposed to be insulting. If Bratt doesn't want to sign long term with us & only wants a short term deal then f**k him. Why would you pay premium for a player you know wants out? You sign him right now for 1 year for the cheapest value possible then trade him next off season.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Another thing to note is that NJ elected for a 1 year term, which means Bratt would be 1 year away from UFA next summer when he is a RFA again. If this goes to arb, he would hold all kinds of power next summer if he has another monster year.

Reactions: themelkman

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Another thing to note is that NJ elected for a 1 year term, which means Bratt would be 1 year away from UFA next summer when he is a RFA again. If this goes to arb, he would hold all kinds of power next summer if he has another monster year.
Yeah it could be like another tkachuk situation next summer

Reactions: lanceuppercut75

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
It’s not the term you need to worry about. It’s really really rare that a player who actually goes to their arbitration meeting stays with the team longer term. It is not a good system and destroys the player / team relationship
Its a necessary evil to keep teams accountable in dealing with their RFAs.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Good thing they changed the rules so we'll almost never get another arbitration hearing.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
The Devils seem to view him as a spoiled brat....

The old Herb Brooks line, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

Two seasons later and a lot of losing and he's at it again.

Hopefully he'll be someone else's problem in 2022-23.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
The old Herb Brooks line, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

Two seasons later and a lot of losing and he's at it again.

Hopefully he'll be someone else's problem in 2022-23.

definitely Jesper Bratt's fault that the Devils were bad last year...for sure man

I don't know how anyone could be a "Devils fan" And come to that conclusion. Good lord.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The term is going to be 2 years, that is already decided as it was NSH's decision.
Well any team out there interested in an absolute bull of a middle-6 strong forward should be looking hard at Trenin. He got 17 goals last year with hardly any real opportunity, and could probably get 25 with a little bit of love. He is stronger than he looks (and he already looks fairly strong). He looks a little slow sometimes, but I don't think he's really slow... he's just "methodical". He is going to run over anything and anybody in his way. And has a wee bit of skill in the mix. He doesn't do things fancy. He just plows through everything in his path and gets things done. The Preds WILL move on from him, and he's going to want to move on from them, so it's going to be a mutual separation after this. The Preds have kind of railroaded him at each turn in the past too, so there isn't much hope of salvaging the relationship here. Too bad, he's a really good player. :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad