News: 2022 Arbitration Mega Thread

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Safe to say at this point Trenin is going to arbitration today. First in 2 years (Tyler Bertuzzi in 2020).
He should have asked for more money in his filing. He had 17 even strength goals. That’s 88th in the league. The Devils offer would pay him like Brendan Lemieux...who he is more than twice as effective as on the ice. But that’s the team’s ask. They can do what they want. He, himself, should have asked for way more than he did.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Just super disappointing as a Devils fan that it is (seemingly) coming to this. That is an insulting offer from NJ.
You know this is how it works right? He was offered a longer bigger deal, they didn't even respond. Why pay through the nose if he's leaving after next yr

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Did Bratt officially arb? I really cannot believe it. He will easily outplay the AAV on a one or two year deal. Even worse (or even better!) arb can be the beginning of the end for his time in jersey.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Did Bratt officially arb? I really cannot believe it. He will easily outplay the AAV on a one or two year deal. Even worse (or even better!) arb can be the beginning of the end for his time in jersey.

The hearing began at 9 AM ET according to this reporter, who I believe is the closest thing to a regular Devils beat writer who is not employed by the team.

EDIT: Now the news of his signing just came out so they must have settled this right before the hearing would have started and since no NHL insiders work in the summer aside from at times Friedman, we hear it about an hour later.

Last edited:

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Bratt's not taking 6M for 4-5 years or else this would've happened already.
Eh? Devils at 4.5 m and Bratt at 6.5m

Per jockeying game... Bratt/agent should accept 3 or 4 year at 6m per. Even at 2 years if they want something very short term

If he really doesnt want to stay. After arb hearing... Devils should look for suitors

I wouldnt pay him more than 6m per at this point. He has had one real good offensive season so far

Reactions: Jersey Fan 12

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
It's arbitration, it's supposed to be insulting. If Bratt doesn't want to sign long term with us & only wants a short term deal then f**k him. Why would you pay premium for a player you know wants out? You sign him right now for 1 year for the cheapest value possible then trade him next off season.
Uhhh....why would you pay a premium for a player you know wants out?

One, I don't see where you're getting that the person who you responded to's question said anything at all about paying a premium. Nor did it seem to imply.
Adding years on a deal doesn't necessarily mean it'll turn close to contract of highest paid by position echelon.
Two, why sign him if he wants out?
Well there are several obvious reasons. A few of which you hit on.

What I find more interesting is the obvious taking of the team's side/blaming the player for the friction existing between the two parties.
Is that an accurate assessment? I don't know a lot about the Devils situation so if that's your position, could you elaborate as to blame for the bad blood?
It seemed like this being the 2nd difficult negotiation despite his performance may have been the issue on the players side, left him feeling understandably unappreciated and not wanting to go through this every time his deal is up but again, I don't follow the team so I can't say for sure

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
If he was offered a fair deal do you think he would have signed by now.....?
It's the term they don't like
His agentvdid this last yr abd will do it next yr
Fitz said he's part of the core and said an offer was made with no reply from Bratts camp
Sure it's all conjecture but Fitzvhas only said this and stick to it

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Eh? Devils at 4.5 m and Bratt at 6.5m

Per jockeying game... Bratt/agent should accept 3 or 4 year at 6m per. Even at 2 years if they want something very short term

If he really doesnt want to stay. After arb hearing... Devils should look for suitors

I wouldnt pay him more than 6m per at this point. He has had one real good offensive season so far
For the Devils to be playing meaningful hockey, Holtz has to be earning Top 6 minutes and consistently scoring, while players like Mercer, Zetterlund, Thompson and possibly Foote all move into bigger roles with the big club; with the presence of Palat and Haula diminishing Bratt's role.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad