2022-23 Seattle Kraken Pre-Season Camp Thread

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
He has an NHL-ready shot. The little of what I caught on, his defensive game, passing and shooting both looked good. No idea how good or bad he was in transition and generating offense though.

We'll have to wait and see for those preseason games.
Though, I wouldn't be surprised if he starts the season with the NHL club.

BTW: He seems to have the work ethic. :D

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Any thoughts on Cameron Hughes thus far?

Signing flew under the radar when he was signed in July. But he did leave Bruins' AHL team in scoring last year.

Any chances he cracks the lineup?

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Any thoughts on Cameron Hughes thus far?

Signing flew under the radar when he was signed in July. But he did leave Bruins' AHL team in scoring last year.

Any chances he cracks the lineup?

One of the challenges the Kraken have is a VERY deep forward roster. I'm of the opinion that it's just too deep for Cameron Hughes to make the roster to start the season. I just can't imagine him beating out guys like Karson Kuhlman, Morgan Geekie and Ryan Donato, who look like the bottom of the NHL depth charts right above guys like Daniel Sprong, Kole Lind, and probably John Hayden on the outside looking in to start the season. It's sort of a bummer as I think they have a risk (albeit low) of losing a guy or two to waivers.

Reactions: Jersey Fan 12

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
One of the challenges the Kraken have is a VERY deep forward roster. I'm of the opinion that it's just too deep for Cameron Hughes to make the roster to start the season. I just can't imagine him beating out guys like Karson Kuhlman, Morgan Geekie and Ryan Donato, who look like the bottom of the NHL depth charts right above guys like Daniel Sprong, Kole Lind, and probably John Hayden on the outside looking in to start the season. It's sort of a bummer as I think they have a risk (albeit low) of losing a guy or two to waivers.
idk if he has a shot or not (probably not) but I have to question your claim that they have a VERY deep forward roster. There's a bunch of bodies, but there aren't a whole lot of really good bodies so it's not very deep. Cast offs like Kuhlman and Hayden are just bodies and not much more.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
idk if he has a shot or not (probably not) but I have to question your claim that they have a VERY deep forward roster. There's a bunch of bodies, but there aren't a whole lot of really good bodies so it's not very deep. Cast offs like Kuhlman and Hayden are just bodies and not much more.

They are NHL bodies though, not really AHL bodies. That's basically my point. We're talking about depth guys... depth guys are pretty much always just bodies.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I mostly agree, but the thing that I find curious is the make-up of last years and this years forward groups - neither is particularly well balanced.

Last year the team was overflowing with 3rd liners that weren't really quite good enough to instill fear in opponents when you put them out on the PP, (Jarnkrok, Appleton, Blackwell, Bastian, Johansson, Donskoi) but still a deep team one would think would be defensively sound. Turns out what should have been their strength, a solid defensive forward core, was actually their biggest weakness.

This year the team is loaded with guys that I would describe more as top-6 geared players and a lot of them are players that I feel won't be nearly as effective if they are put into the lineup outside of a top six role and asked to play with a traditionally bottom six mentality (Donato, Burakovsky, Geekie, Eberle, Schwartz, Bjorkstrand, McCann, Wright, Beniers - this depth definitely hurts Hughes chances, imo).

It might be the plan to fill the team to cater to Hakstol's philosophy, which seems to be just role lines and everyone try to outscore the opponents, where most of the players didn't have specific roles that were geared to their strengths, but all expected to be interchangeable, (which would then open opportunities up a bit more for Hughes - which then brings up the question, who is going to fill the defensive roles? )

There is a lot of talent on this team, so the season should be an exciting one, but I am curbing my expectations based on the unorthodox balance the team seems to be built on.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
My guess is that since there isn't anyone elite on the team that the team really will roll 3 lines as their top 6 equivalent and then roll with the other 4 for the grit/checking/energy.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
They are NHL bodies though, not really AHL bodies. That's basically my point. We're talking about depth guys... depth guys are pretty much always just bodies.
The day they have an AHL roster filled with young prospects ready to be called up for depth rather than old NHL stiffs is the day they will be a good team.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Meaning he's out for the games at Vancouver and Calgary suspension only apply for eligible game.

Last edited:

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA

Meaning he's out for the games at Vancouver and Calgary suspension only apply for eligible game.

How does it work that he was returned to his Junior club? Does he have to be on the roster to serve his suspension or will it just be the next 2 Kraken games regardless?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
How does it work that he was returned to his Junior club? Does he have to be on the roster to serve his suspension or will it just be the next 2 Kraken games regardless?

He'll serve it the next time he's with the NHL club (23-24 preseason) since he'll be AHL eligible then

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Seattle cuts the roster down to 29

and of course the jr major players other than Wright got sent back to their clubs

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Alright, so Lind didn’t make the cut, that leaves only a few guys still working for an NHL spot, including John Hayden and Michael Kempny.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Is Wright for sure playing in Seattle this year?
We all think he’s going to end up getting a 9 game trial. He’s looked pretty good. There still are 6 guys left in camp that’ll be left out and it’s really tough to sort out which 6 those will be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad