GDT: 2022-23 season game 78 LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers @7:30 pm 4/4/23

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I don't want to see the board devolve into an Oilers board wishing for another player's injury. Although Oilers fans are just an amalgamation of their team. They have no choice but to support their team's antics. They work against the Kings, but they won't work to win the cup and I understand their frustration given how their franchise has been run for decades. It is still unlikely that Canada will see a Stanley Cup anytime soon.

But I also don't think it is too egregious for emotions to run high and crazy things to be said in the moment. I had a few of those after the Kings traded Jonathan Quick...

I mean, I don't wish it to happen, but if it did, I would be quick to throw my "it couldn't have happened to a nicer player" that was thrown at us by Oilers fans tap dancing on the ceiling as Anderson was going down the tunnel.

I am really disappointed right now with how "toughness" was addressed at the deadline. I understood the MacEwen acquisition when it happened as the reasoning was obvious, but he has failed to address anything. At this point, I am wondering if he had a muzzle put on and was told he cannot do anything by TMac or something. Part of the reason the Kings got rid of Quick, according to Blake, is it gives us flexibility in cap space to make other moves. He traded significant futures for Gavrikov and Korpi who are still very likely to walk and said he was holding on the space to address other things, mainly toughness and depth, and then proceeded to do nothing but trade for MacEwen who hasn't really done a single thing.

Hopefully, they pull it together and put up a hell of a fight in the postseason, but my eyes are on Blake for however the results shake out.

psych3man

Dec 17, 2019
Outside Chicago
Differential application of justice (i.e., what would have happened to Mikey if he had done that to 97) should greatly enrage anyone. That means different rules apply to different players.
If Mikey had run 97 that way, we all know the refs, Oilers and the league would have responded to Mikey and the Kings in ways it did not to 97.
That should make all Kings fans and all hockey fans irate.
The misapplication of justice and the helplessness that feeds is why Kings fans don't mind verbalizing over the top responses.
If games and leagues were ruled by blind justice, fans would not have to react the way some are sermonizing against.
It would also help if the Kings would treat 97 and Oilers as the Oilers would treat 44 and the Kings if it were reversed.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I don’t like wishing injury/retribution on other players simply because it’s the most banal and predictable sports fan rant. It’s just low class to me. Same as someone constantly screaming “shoot” at a live game.

I don't always yell "Shoot!", but when I do, my team is always on the power play.

tagline-dos-equis-final-hed-2021.jpg

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I'm reading to much into people saying they want McDavid violently crosschecked in the mouth after a whistle?

Reading to much into it when people say they don't care if the same is done in retaliation to Kopitar because its a better trade off for the Kings?

How do you think Kopitar or Doughty would feel if in your wet dream scenario MacEwen injured McDavid and then the Oilers did the same to 11 and 8? These are two of the best players in franchise history, and were two of the main reasons the team has 2 banners hanging in the rafters, they also both happen to have families at home. But I guess none of that matters when you see players as robots.

How do the owners of both teams paying these players 8 figure salaries feel when they are lost in this childish Neanderthal back and forth?

What does that do to the Kings playoff chances? Seems like this kind of nonsense benefits the Knights more than anyone else. Or are we going to intentionally injure Eichel and Petro too?

Again, if you are on a messageboard calling for intentionally injuring other players and are ok if our best players are lost in the crossfire because they are not as good as the other teams best players, you are a sick individual.

This is a GAME we fans enjoy watching and for the players it's a CAREER that they have to support their families, it's not life and death. No one involved in the game wants to see players get injured, listen to Gretzky's interview on Spittin Chiclets, he addresses this. Fortunately the players have a lot more discipline and respect for each other than the fans do.
Is respect what stopped McDavid from boarding Anderson? At what point do you stop taking it on the chin and throw a swing back? You’re arguing for players to not get even when their team mates are getting taken out? What kind of bizarre case are you trying to make because this is the kind of mentality that allows people to get stepped on in life.

Some of you are letting the California charm make you soft.

Last edited:

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Is respect what stopped McDavid from boarding Anderson? At what point do you stop taking it on the chin and throw a swing back? You’re arguing for players to not get even when their team mates are getting taken out? What kind of bizarre case are you trying to make because this is the kind of mentality that allows people to get stepped on in life.

Some of you are letting the California charm make you soft.

I absolutely support putting a body on Mcdavid at every possible opportunity, constantly jawing at him, get in his face, push him around, whack him in the wrists and ankles, just pester the f*** out of him. But there’s a line between that and calling for a real injury.

Even if this were 30 years ago, Mcdavid is never going to drop the gloves and answer for his hit on Anderson. So all we can do is bend the rules as much as possible to annoy the piss out of him and get him second guessing.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I absolutely support putting a body on Mcdavid at every possible opportunity, constantly jawing at him, get in his face, push him around, whack him in the wrists and ankles, just pester the f*** out of him. But there’s a line between that and calling for a real injury.

Even if this were 30 years ago, Mcdavid is never going to drop the gloves and answer for his hit on Anderson. So all we can do is bend the rules as much as possible to annoy the piss out of him and get him second guessing.
I would not disagree with you if it was just a big hit. If someone does something predatory than a predatory response is fair.

You do realize even the justice system considers the nature of the crime whether it being deliberate or accidental, right?

The punishment should fit the crime. I’m not saying the Kings should go and try to injure him. They can mess him and tune him hard, but could you actually blame them for trying to take him out? That’s what he did to Anderson. Why give him the respect he doesn’t give to others?

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I would not disagree with you if it was just a big hit. If someone does something predatory than a predatory response is fair.

You do realize even the justice system considers the nature of the crime whether it being deliberate or accidental, right?

The punishment should fit the crime. I’m not saying the Kings should go and try to injure him. They can mess him and tune him hard, but could you actually blame them for trying to take him out? That’s what he did to Anderson. Why give him the respect he doesn’t give to others?

Ya good point payback and retribution is actually super legal and will hold up in any court

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

It’s not about respect. It’s about not condoning vigilante justice on principle.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
I don’t like wishing injury/retribution on other players simply because it’s the most banal and predictable sports fan rant. It’s just low class to me. Same as someone constantly screaming “shoot” at a live game.
I'll admit to being at games and thinking to myself "take his f***ing head off", maybe even saying it a time or two. But it's always meant figuratively, at least to me.

I can't think of a time when someone clapped or cheered as a player was helped off the ice even in big playoff games. I don't think anyone but a select minority group of lunatics truly want to see that.

That said, I hope mcdavid gets aids and retires.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
It’s not about respect. It’s about not condoning vigilante justice on principle.
It’s not whether or not you condone it. It’s to understand that there’s an equal reaction to every action. There was a majority of people cheering when Cooke got knocked out by Kane. Why do you think that is? You may not like it but let’s not act holier than those who disagree with your particular opinion.

psych3man

Dec 17, 2019
Outside Chicago
“Wild West justice” actually worked a hell of a lot better in many ways than anything we have going today. You knew if you violated somebody (stole from him, punched him, cheated at cards, slept with his wife) you were going to have to pay the consequences, swiftly and severely if you were caught. You knew you had it coming. You took your chances knowing what could happen.
That is the principle @Sol is talking about.

But if you know you are untouchable because you’re a superstar (McDavid, Draisaitl) or you’re on a team with superstars (Oilers) or your opponent will never strike back in kind (Kings) or the refs/league will never hold you accountable the way they would others (Oilers), you can take all the liberties you want want.

This is the problem with different rules or consequences for different players or teams.

Reactions: chris kontos

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
Since we need a third pairing defense first guy anyone know why we haven’t try movare, seems like he played fairly well last season on a late call up

Reactions: Schrute farms

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
It’s not whether or not you condone it. It’s to understand that there’s an equal reaction to every action. There was a majority of people cheering when Cooke got knocked out by Kane. Why do you think that is? You may not like it but let’s not act holier than those who disagree with your particular opinion.

By your own logic, Cooke should’ve gotten it way worse than just a knockout.

Call me holier than thou all you want. I’m not going to shriek and drool like a mongoloid homer over violent retribution. That’s just not in my personality. Sorry, man.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
By your own logic, Cooke should’ve gotten it way worse than just a knockout.

Call me holier than thou all you want. I’m not going to shriek and drool like a mongoloid homer over violent retribution. That’s just not in my personality. Sorry, man.
You’re absolutely right. And there would have been nothing wrong with it if he did. You’ve just gotten soft however there’s nothing wrong with that.

Insinuating that it’s wrong and insulting those who disagree with you is pretty mongoloid behavior but I digress.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
This whole discussion about payback is a distraction.

The Kings need more scoring right now. The PP needs to get back on track. Aside from that they're playing good team defense and are getting good goaltending.

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
I don't think anyone on this board deliberately wants a player injured. But good old hard playing old school hockey always loved a real good hard clean check, now if any injury occurs that is the way bounce goes. Now days hockey is filled with cheap shots and bullying, because if a player instigates a fight, they get penalized or suspended. In old days players would not take runs like McDirty did to Anderson because the other team do the same to their star players and that was a deterrent. But now it seems that if someone makes a claim to stand up it is like people automatically relate that to intend to injure and I don't think that is the case, at least with me. When I played the game. Some one takes a cheap shot, you can bet your house he would be called out for it either with a good hard hit or even have to drop the gloves.

Reactions: Schrute farms

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
There's less cheap shots and dirty plays in hockey than there's ever been.

Reactions: Vino

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Everyone says the league is so different than ten years ago with the physicality and, while true, it hasn't turned in to the SHL: it only feels that way when you watch the Kings for the past few years.

Go watch TB/NYR last night and it looks like a completely different league than what the Kings play in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad