GDT: 2022-23 season game 78 LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers @7:30 pm 4/4/23

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
You’re reading too much into it. This only started by oilers intentionally trying to injure kings and people wanted one of those players who did the action to get the same treatment. McDavid isn’t a saint. He plays dirty.

You’re over reacting greatly. It’s perfectly reasonable to expect people wanting McDavid crushed.

No one wins a fight by allowing someone to get away with punching them in the face. What’s the point of playing clean hockey when the other team just keeps taking you out?

Sure didn’t work the Soviet super series now did it?

I'm reading to much into people saying they want McDavid violently crosschecked in the mouth after a whistle?

Reading to much into it when people say they don't care if the same is done in retaliation to Kopitar because its a better trade off for the Kings?

How do you think Kopitar or Doughty would feel if in your wet dream scenario MacEwen injured McDavid and then the Oilers did the same to 11 and 8? These are two of the best players in franchise history, and were two of the main reasons the team has 2 banners hanging in the rafters, they also both happen to have families at home. But I guess none of that matters when you see players as robots.

How do the owners of both teams paying these players 8 figure salaries feel when they are lost in this childish Neanderthal back and forth?

What does that do to the Kings playoff chances? Seems like this kind of nonsense benefits the Knights more than anyone else. Or are we going to intentionally injure Eichel and Petro too?

Again, if you are on a messageboard calling for intentionally injuring other players and are ok if our best players are lost in the crossfire because they are not as good as the other teams best players, you are a sick individual.

This is a GAME we fans enjoy watching and for the players it's a CAREER that they have to support their families, it's not life and death. No one involved in the game wants to see players get injured, listen to Gretzky's interview on Spittin Chiclets, he addresses this. Fortunately the players have a lot more discipline and respect for each other than the fans do.

Last edited:

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I'm reading to much into people saying they want McDavid violently crosschecked in the mouth after a whistle?

Reading to much into it when people say they don't care if the same is done in retaliation to Kopitar because its a better trade off for the Kings?

How do you think Kopitar or Doughty would feel if in your wet dream scenario MacEwen injured McDavid and then the Oilers did the same to 11 and 8?

How do the owners paying these players 8 figure salaries feel when they are lost in this childish Neanderthal back and forth?

What does that do to the Kings playoff chances? Seems like this kind of nonsense benefits the Knights more than anyone else.

Again, if you are on a messageboard calling for intentionally injuring other players and are ok if our best players are lost in the crossfire because they are not as good as the other teams best players, you are a sick individual.

Talk about some Slap Shot story linese lol who is Oglethorpe...

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
The team needs more toughness
The team needs to hit more
The team absolutely does not need to do dumb cheap crap to try and injure other players.

I don't wish for the Kings to injure McDavid, I want McDavid to play and for the Kings to beat him. What I also want is for McDavid to feel less comfortable out there and for the Kings to up the physicality

Last edited:

head eyes

Oct 8, 2015
I actually liked the booing whenever McDavid touched the puck. That usually DOES affect players. It needs to be louder next time.
It usually affects them in an "I'm gonna shut this crowd up" kinda way though.

Reactions: YAYSAY

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
It usually affects them in an "I'm gonna shut this crowd up" kinda way though.
That way of thinking is enough to distract, I think. I know Doughty has been a recipient of boos in the past and it usually gets the better of him. And McDavid wasn’t anything special last night with the boos raining on him.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That way of thinking is enough to distract, I think. I know Doughty has been a recipient of boos in the past and it usually gets the better of him. And McDavid wasn’t anything special last night with the boos raining on him.

He still did a few special McDavid things but you could tell he was definitely getting flustered and relatively impatient.

I think had we actually ever taken a lead on them at any time this calendar year you'd see the impatience and frustration ramp up in the other guys like Kane Drai and Nurse in particular.

Reactions: Nasti

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County

How do you think Kopitar or Doughty would feel if in your wet dream scenario MacEwen injured McDavid and then the Oilers did the same to 11 and 8? These are two of the best players in franchise history, and were two of the main reasons the team has 2 banners hanging in the rafters, they also both happen to have families at home. But I guess none of that matters when you see players as robots.

How do the owners of both teams paying these players 8 figure salaries feel when they are lost in this childish Neanderthal back and forth?

What does that do to the Kings playoff chances? Seems like this kind of nonsense benefits the Knights more than anyone else. Or are we going to intentionally injure Eichel and Petro too?

This is a GAME we fans enjoy watching and for the players it's a CAREER that they have to support their families, it's not life and death. No one involved in the game wants to see players get injured, listen to Gretzky's interview on Spittin Chiclets, he addresses this. Fortunately the players have a lot more discipline and respect for each other than the fans do.
Aren’t you clutching your pearls here a little bit Herby? It’s a message board, the words don’t have any real weight. People vent here, and I doubt anyone truly “wishes harm” on a player but even if they did, so what? It’s just typing on a screen. Everyone is just talking shit. Some people exaggerate and amplify their frustrations. If I’m pissed at Matthew Tkachuk and I post that I want someone to take his head off, I don’t ACTUALLY want his head removed. Even if I double down on it when questioned, it’s just hyperbole right? Should my morals be questioned or am I just blabbing on HF Boards from my couch, mostly to strangers on the internet?

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Aren’t you clutching your pearls here a little bit Herby? It’s a message board, the words don’t have any real weight. People vent here, and I doubt anyone truly “wishes harm” on a player but even if they did, so what? It’s just typing on a screen. Everyone is just talking shit. Some people exaggerate and amplify their frustrations. If I’m pissed at Matthew Tkachuk and I post that I want someone to take his head off, I don’t ACTUALLY want his head removed. Even if I double down on it when questioned, it’s just hyperbole right? Should my morals be questioned or am I just blabbing on HF Boards from my couch, mostly to strangers on the internet?
“Dobby never meant to kill. He only meant to maim, or seriously injure.”

• Haha
Reactions: Steve Zissou

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

I respect your opinion, but I disagree. And I think there is a difference between the scenario you gave and the same people continually making the same posts every time we play the Oilers. It’s not a heat of the moment, they genuinely think the Kings should be targeting McDavid.

“How do the Kings just not take McDavid out”

And in your scenario if someone asked you “do you really feel that way” you would say “well of course not, it was a heat of the moment thing” , but here we are a day later, clearly no longer in the heat of the moment and the same people still have the same opinions and are trying to justify them here.

Nobody thinks this way in hockey anymore, there is no more targeting other teams best players for cheap shots. It’s just an archaic way of thinking that literally no other team in the league uses, so why are people expecting the Kings to do it? The comments about not being physical with McDavid, if it were that easy and simply being physical could slow him
down don’t you think more teams would do it? But the reality is he’s often times to fast to make a legal check on and if you slow him down with your stick or your hands you put that team on the PP, where they score 1 out of every 3 times. By now our fanbase should know that putting that team on the PP is not a smart thing to do.

And as far as words on a forum having no meaning. That us true of any stupid things said here, but we call out other stupid stuff that makes our community look bad, I don’t see why this should be any different.

Last edited:

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
At the game, I didn't see what happened to the Oiler player behind the net in the first minute. I didn't think a hit had occurred or anything gnarly but while the player was down, this went through my mind:

- I hope it was a hit and a clean one
- I don't want the player to be hurt BUT
- If he is hurt, I hope it is Ekholm
- And that is pretty awesome that it happened one minute in to the game like the Anderson hit

I'm not hoping a King goes out and deliberately injures an Oiler but I'm all for some karma for the Anderson hit. Am I still a bad fan for having this train of thought?

As for the issue of the Kings lack of physicality, it is cute that some posters don't think it is a problem in November against Arizona when the PP is clicking and they are pulling some Globetrotter stuff out on offense but it is painfully evident once the games really start to matter and opposing teams ramp things up.

King on Pieterangelo. Stoll on Vlasic. Finishing checks against other teams' best players is important and can be series altering. I'd easily argue that the Anderson injury has already altered a potential Oilers series since it has helped put them in the drivers seat for home ice. If he is still out when the series starts, it will be devastating.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
One positive, the Danault line battled McDavid to a stalemate. If ANYTHING else works for the Kings, we're about the only team that can do that.

True but let's be honest QB wasn't burying that thing.

I believe they were referencing the phantom trip, but yeah, that's just how cursed the kid is lately

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
One positive, the Danault line battled McDavid to a stalemate. If ANYTHING else works for the Kings, we're about the only team that can do that.

I believe they were referencing the phantom trip, but yeah, that's just how cursed the kid is lately
I was pretty furious when his stick got slashed in half but i think it was moot and the end of the day.

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
"Funny" how he tripped and fell the other week and, instead of giving a penalty to the other team, the officials got together to say that he fell on his own. Totally right call, but have some consistency. The puck was right there, so what were they watching?

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
"Funny" how he tripped and fell the other week and, instead of giving a penalty to the other team, the officials got together to say that he fell on his own. Totally right call, but have some consistency. The puck was right there, so what were they watching?

The back ref called it and everyone let him off the hook

hate that shit after all the 'well, we'd better get together and make sure' when it happens to the Kings over the last month

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Sorry dude, I agree with the premise of not wishing injury on a player, but by and large people get emotional when talking sports. I think people should be more cognizant of it, but part of the purpose of team-specific boards is to give fans a safe space to vent. As much as I abhor the gross fans who were celebrating Mikey getting concussed on the Oilers board, that's where they feel safe, as fans, to cheer on their team avidly.

Again, I would have shrugged if someone crosschecked McDavid after he boarded Anderson. If a Kings player did something last night to injure McDavid, I'd honestly and genuinely say it was inexcusable, but the Kings fan in me would just look forward to the meltdown of Oilers fans.

Kings fans, in general, are upset about the lack of assertiveness. The Kings unwillingness to get chippy when the situation calls for it. I think we both know if there was more confidence in the team being tough and assertive, the fans wouldn't be driven to overcompensate in their call for bloodlust.

I think it's great you called out the wish to injure. It's important to keep people (and this board) honest. But I think you're overlooking that there's pent up frustration and fandom that people need to let out, and this board is the safest from the Kings' perspective; doing it to the Oilers board would rightfully upset them, as they understandably love McDavid. The main boards would create a flame war.

Like I said, I think fans often forget that these players have families and they see hockey as entertainment. There's a degree of disassociation between the players and fans where it creates an environment to exhibit visceral reactions.

Reactions: Mcsorley47

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
It's been a nice run this year.
But the spackle and duct tape repair job Blake has done to conceal his errors is not working. The LHD problem could not be solved with just one addition and now its been cancelled out by Mikey's injury.
The failure to secure an upgrade on Edler or to develop the shit out of Bjornfot is now obviously apparent.
We are back to the Durzi-Roy pairing after all the dust has settled.
The lack of physicality is a problem that Pepe never solved because one player cant solve it. The culture must be addressed in the offseason. The Cup teams all had multiple guys ready and leaning into a fight whenever and whoever. This team has none.
There is a sincere need to re-sign Gavrikov at this point. And since Bjornfot obviously isnt the answer in Blake's eyes it is time to move him for the guy that is.
As far as face-punchers go Reaves was easily taken for a 5th and Blake moved Pepe plus a 5th for McEwen who looks about as dangerous as a soft little kitten. Advantage Guerin.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
This board don't mean much as far as actual NHL hockey teams and games go.

I can't really see anyone but the the bottom of the barrel of former barely pro hockey players getting into a heated discussion here.

The Kings were obviously told to play disciplined and not retaliate because playoff seeding is on the line and could greatly influence who advances.

And its a good thing because the refs were looking for it to the point where there were some very borderline calls.

You do not want to get blown out against a team you may face in the playoffs that has the #1 power play.

The refs and the league by going easy against McDicvid and the Oil and relatively hard against the Kings have really negatively impacted the Kings playoff position and that makes the playoffs even tougher.

Still we hung in missing a #1 pair d that has excelled against the Oil , our top point producer, our biggest breakout player this season and a 3 pair dman.

So we showed we can be right there with a team with some very dirty players that gets preferential treatment from the league and the refs.

Now just hoping we get some or all of our crucial players back.

The Kings did not succeed but the were smart about trying to get the points and not severely bolstering the Oils confidence against us.

Another huge game tomorrow and the same play disciplined approach needs to be used, and in the playoffs as well.

If we play a series the opportunity to pay back the Oil in a smart legal manner will likely arise.

Hit him hard and clean when possible, otherwise don't, and do not take penalties, against the #1 PP team.

Contrary to the opinions here they were well coached and the players were very smart and disciplined.

It is a disadvantage if one of the guys on the number one line can't put it in the net.

Call the shaman!

Pepe was too much of a liability, the refs are already biased against the Kings, and they were ultra biased against Pepe.

Can't be playing a series against the #1 PP, with him in the lineup but you do need a deterrent.

Blake did what he could as the anti Pepe situation became apparent.

Bjornfot is another case of hold em and let em break out , not trade him for a 4th or later, and now we actually need him due to injury

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad