GDT: 2022-23 season game 6 LA Kings vs Pittsburgh Penguins @4:00pm 10/20/22

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
I'm pretty sure nobody was a King fan when he first got called up. Likely nobody said yeah, no, he's a missing piece in 11-12 when the team couldn't score.

Actually I'm pretty sure a lot of us were excited when he was called up. If I remember correctly Sutter went to Manchester before joining the team and asked Lombardi to call up him and Nolan. They replaced Ethan Moreau and Trent Hunter who were absolutely trash with us and a lot of people were very happy about that change. Also, Dwight King played well with Richards that year. Their infusion coincided with revamping the teams identity, so I don't remember people hating on King until 2015 or 2016.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The previous Coach TM wasn’t a Dwight King fan before anyone mocked him. Somehow that “dinosaur” Sutter didn’t see things that way. Maybe the current Coach TM spends some time scouting the Reign and calls up Helenius and Lee late in the season.​
Seems like Fagemo deserves a look at some point during the season, if he can improve his overall strength and develop his physical game a bit more. He definitely does not have the physical stature of a Dwight King type player, which is something I think the Kings are going to need going forward.

Reactions: Schrute farms

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
He was mocked soundly his entire tenure, that's for certain.

But what he's alluding to is that there's more than one way to score, and . Those Kings were hockey's equivalent of a ground-and-pound running team so King fit that identity more than "scorer" but let's not pretend he didn't do that too, remember that this is a franchise that had The Great One yet our record holder for goals in a WCF is...Dwight King.

You can't dangle your way into the net and the team Blake has put together is like having 12 Darren Sproles lined up at forward every night.

Lawson Crouse. And if you think he scores too much because of one season, then the Ducks just picked up Pavol Regenda, Nico Sturmon the Sharks, etc.

They're all over the place. Not as prominent in a faster, more penalty-happy era, but around and useful nonetheless.

Not sure if picking the more talented Crouse is a symbol of why Dwight King was the glue......etc...

And you are talking about franchises that has won f***all in SJ and ANA.....

Anyways, gonna bow out cuz I can't focus worth crap right now....I just think that using an argument that Dwight King from 10 years ago, is what is prevalent in the league today is a bit...nonsensical, the league is different than it was 10 years ago

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Not sure if picking the more talented Crouse is a symbol of why Dwight King was the glue......etc...

And you are talking about franchises that has won f***all in SJ and ANA.....

Anyways, gonna bow out cuz I can't focus worth crap right now....I just think that using an argument that Dwight King from 10 years ago, is what is prevalent in the league today is a bit...nonsensical, the league is different than it was 10 years ago

Okay, then TBL rolls out Pat Maroon and Nick Paul.

Agreed it's a different league, and those guys are more talented than yesteryear, but they're not obsolete. That's all I'm saying. It's not really an argument against you.

Reactions: KINGS17

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Agreed it's a different league, and those guys are more talented than yesteryear, but they're not obsolete. That's all I'm saying. It's not really an argument against you.
I believe Maroon was on teams that won the Stanley Cup three years in a row, and was considered a valuable contributor. Guys like Maroon and King are the type of players who take a toll on the other team every shift. Guys like this are part of the reason a player like Kucherov or Carter get loose from a tired defenseman in the third period of a Game 7.

bland

Jul 1, 2004

But what he's alluding to is that there's more than one way to score, and . Those Kings were hockey's equivalent of a ground-and-pound running team so King fit that identity more than "scorer" but let's not pretend he didn't do that too, remember that this is a franchise that had The Great One yet our record holder for goals in a WCF is...Dwight King.

You can't dangle your way into the net and the team Blake has put together is like having 12 Darren Sproles lined up at forward every night.

Lawson Crouse. And if you think he scores too much because of one season, then the Ducks just picked up Pavol Regenda, Nico Sturmon the Sharks, etc.

They're all over the place. Not as prominent in a faster, more penalty-happy era, but around and useful nonetheless.

Over the course of the five Conference and Cup Finals series, King had just three fewer total points than Kopitar.

He won the vast majority of his battles and was one hell of a forechecker.

There is always a certain portion of every fanbase that uses role players as scapegoats when the team is underperforming.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Are you implying Dwight King couldn't play our current brand of firewagon hockey? The man's even got his own f***ing wagon!

stanleycuphorses940-8col.jpg

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

That was gonna be my comment, both those players are much more talented than King was.....and don't get me wrong, King was a workhorse.....but he never had the scoring touch that Maroon or Paul had, or the willingness to get into the area's 100% of the time...

I believe Maroon was on teams that won the Stanley Cup three years in a row, and was considered a valuable contributor. Guys like Maroon and King are the type of players who take a toll on the other team every shift. Guys like this are part of the reason a player like Kucherov or Carter get loose from a tired defenseman in the third period of a Game 7.

King was demonized in this forum the entire time he was here because he was soft.....

And now...he's a banger?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Over the course of the five Conference and Cup Finals series, King had just three fewer total points than Kopitar.

He won the vast majority of his battles and was one hell of a forechecker.

There is always a certain portion of every fanbase that uses role players as scapegoats when the team is underperforming.
More than that, King grinded opposition defensemen into a sticky paste along the boards.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
King was demonized in this forum the entire time he was here because he was soft.....

And now...he's a banger?
God, I am going to regret responding, but your response is so inane and misses the point so badly I suppose I should educate you on the type of player King actually was with the Kings. Dwight King was a grinder. He relentlessly helped to cycle the puck in the opponent's zone and used his size to great positional advantage. He created chances for himself and for other teammates off the cycle. He wore the other team down on the forecheck and with his ability to maintain control of the puck during a cycle.

At no time did I claim he was a banger in the way that Dustin Brown or Mike Richards played their roles on the Kings.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
We are not built to be contenders. We are still a Jekyll and Hyde team with no real identity. If you look back at the cup years, the only area we improved on is team speed. All other areas need significant improvements. I see a few more years of being on the playoff bubble before this team takes a turn, maybe longer if trades\prospects don't pan out. I really hope they don't start trading away 1st rounders to patch holes. We need to build for the future here.

Last edited:

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Wait, we were told by many eminent posters here that players like an in his prime Dwight King simply are not needed in today's NHL. If your 3rd line winger can't dangle his way to a goal every 8th or 9th game, what good is he?

Players like Dwight King are to be mocked, not recognized for what they contribute to winning hockey games.
What the f*** is this comment? I am sure you’re talking about Jordan Nolan not charmin soft Dwight King.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
God, I am going to regret responding, but your response is so inane and misses the point so badly I suppose I should educate you on the type of player King actually was with the Kings. Dwight King was a grinder. He relentlessly helped to cycle the puck in the opponent's zone and used his size to great positional advantage. He created chances for himself and for other teammates off the cycle. He wore the other team down on the forecheck and with his ability to maintain control of the puck during a cycle.

At no time did I claim he was a banger in the way that Dustin Brown or Mike Richards played their roles on the Kings.
What the f*** is this comment? I am sure you’re talking about Jordan Nolan not charmin soft Dwight King.

Hell, I didn't even have to respond.....King was anything but a grinder....he was a floater

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
i'm really not happy about rehashing dwight king again but i think it's been said here before, the problem with dwight king was not dwight king's play, it was dwight king being played with near-prime kopitar on 1st line minutes

Absolutely, but what's the first few words you think of when it comes to Dwight King and his play?

Lumbering, Big, Soft....

Kings17 want's to rewrite history (not surprisingly if you think about it) that would have Dwight King of his reality, be a grinder, filled with sandpaper and piss and vinegar, that's just not how he played.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA

Not to discredit the rest of your post, but the record holder is Jeff Carter, though King did hold it at one point.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Well, the Kings have played 6 games, while other teams in the league have only played 3. It's not that interesting.

I do agree that the league is tighter regarding interference, but I don't think the league has fully moved away from finishing hits being a successful strategy. The only team other team in the league that seems to shy away from finishing checks as much as the Kings is the Leafs. They have some high end talent so they can get away with it in the regular season, but you see them thrown off their game so easily in the playoffs. I don't think watching Matthews get ragdolled by Weber inspired any of the Leafs in that series. There has been this weird connection between the Leafs and Kings and it really seems like Blake is trying to follow Shanny sometimes. I mean they were in that commercial together, so maybe there is something there.

Didn't mean to skip over this reply,

I don't think it's a team issue, it's a personnel issue, and that's league wide, there are some players who just won't finish checks, ever, and there are some, that go out of their way....

The league is shifting away from finishing hits, like a glacier, mainly because its coming from minor hockey on up, kids aren't being taught to finish in Peewee, on up like they were, 10-15 years ago......so that will filter into minors, juniors, semi-pro, then pro, when you have the vast majority learning to fly by, so you don't get A out of position or B a penalty, etc

Reactions: crassbonanza

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021

Y'all should be embarrassed trashing a King's legend. Remember that time Kinger won it in the shootout against the Ducks?

Other news
Quick
4 Games
3.87 GAA

Cal
3 games
4.97 GAA

Clearly the King's have a goaltending issue, but is that the only issue?

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

Y'all should be embarrassed trashing a King's legend. Remember that time Kinger won it in the shootout against the Ducks?

Other news
Quick
4 Games
3.87 GAA

Cal
3 games
4.97 GAA

Clearly the King's have a goaltending issue, but is that the only issue?

Durzi, Walker, and goaltending. They should bring up Spence.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Dusty was so good at "developing" goalies that he couldn't get a job in the NHL. He had to go to the KHL to be a goaltending coach for a Chinese KHL team.
Wasnt there some sort of pc issue that got him canned in the first place? Probably scared off all the nhl teams.

Last edited:

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Wasnt there some sort of pc issue that got him canned in the first place? Probably scared off all the nhl teams.

Yep, don't remember what exactly it was per our favorite source, wikipedia " In 2021, Imoo was hired as goalie coach of the Toronto Marlies. He was let go shortly after transphobic likes and retweets of his were found on his Twitter account.[2]"

Reactions: Kingspiracy

LeftKinger

Oct 20, 2022
The defense has not been good but the Kings aren’t getting the timely saves this year. The saves that either keep momentum or shift it. The offense has come through in the wins but until they get those saves from either Quick or Cal the team is going to “seem” Jekyl and Hyde.

Magicman

Mar 18, 2008
My uncle was a head coach in the NHL many moons ago, and at his age he likes to tell the same stories over and over. The team stunk and the GM and owner wanted to end the cycle of trading picks and bringing in aging players to be somewhat competitive and make the playoffs. So they went the route of drafting and building.

After a really poor start he was talking to the GM at a morning skate, the GM said "don't worry, they will get better". My uncle without looking at the GM said, "but if they don't get better sooner, we will be sooner gone".

The team never really got better and he was fired and shortly thereafter the GM was gone.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad