GDT: 2022-23 season game 6 LA Kings vs Pittsburgh Penguins @4:00pm 10/20/22

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Sorry for my ignorance but who is "RV" people keep referencing? Am I just having a mental lapse and forgetting someone with those initials?

That being said, Penguins had no right leading 3-0 after the first. Kind of set the tone for the rest of the game. Kings were easily the better team most of the night outside of goaltending.
RV = Arvidsson

And yeah, the thing is, Pittsburgh's a good team. The Kings played well, but Petersen has had a meteoric collapse

Reactions: kinghock

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
TMac is just clueless. Peterson may or may not get bought out eventually. Big yikes of a game.
In my view Kings have 2 basic problems, which prevents them from reaching big goals.

Problem number one:

I believe that foundation of contending team is elite goalie.

Peterson is really mentally weak and cannot be such goalie.

Quick is too old unfortunately.

Problem number two:

LA is lacking physicality and can be intimidated pretty easily.

Until those problems are solved team is going nowhere.

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
Danault had 1 defensive zone faceoff against Pitt to go along with 4 o zone and 5 neutral zone faceoffs. I just don't understand why he is not being used in a more defensive role to allow Kopi to take advantage of more offensive opportunities. why sign a defensive center into his late 30's if you are just going to use him in offensive roles?

Because TMAC has this theory about not using players to their strengths....See Kaliyev and PP time.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Because TMAC has this theory about not using players to their strengths....See Kaliyev and PP time.
6xriaw.jpg

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
In my view Kings have 2 basic problems, which prevents them from reaching big goals.

Problem number one:

Problem number two:

Agree with point # 1,

Whole heartedly disagree with # 2....just....no....

Is this just a catchall for, I can't explain it, but I feel it, so it must be so? If it is, that's fine, it is what it sounds like to me, because you can't tell me the Kings LACK physicality, unless you are literally defining it as the Colton Orr school of hockey......

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

Problem number one:

Problem number two:

That’s the thing that people don’t seem to understand. There’s a difference between mentally weak and fragile vs being in a bad headspace. Petersen has never ever shown that he has any mental fortitude so the idea of letting him play again to build from last game was so moronic to me because it obviously won’t change the fact that he’s very fragile mentally.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Whole heartedly disagree with # 2....just....no....

Is this just a catchall for, I can't explain it, but I feel it, so it must be so? If it is, that's fine, it is what it sounds like to me, because you can't tell me the Kings LACK physicality, unless you are literally defining it as the Colton Orr school of hockey......

The Kings are currently 25th in hits/60 and they were 27th last year, they are just really not a physical team in comparison to the rest of the league.

Do you remember that 2012 team that would just wear teams down by making the hit at every opportunity? The heavy forecheck that would force defenders into bad passes because they knew a forward was going to finish his check after he moved the puck? I think that is what a lot of people are talking about when they mention physicality.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
The Kings are currently 25th in hits/60 and they were 27th last year, they are just really not a physical team in comparison to the rest of the league.

Do you remember that 2012 team that would just wear teams down by making the hit at every opportunity? The heavy forecheck that would force defenders into bad passes because they knew a forward was going to finish his check after he moved the puck? I think that is what a lot of people are talking about when they mention physicality.
The only forward who plays a truly physical game is Grundstrom.

Lemieux takes runs, but Grundstrom is the only one who actually plays a consistently hard game, and it isn’t something that can easily be addressed without a major organizational shakeup.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

And yet they are 12th in total hits......that's interesting.....

And yes forcing mistakes due to being hit, is absolutely one aspect of physicality, in fact, if Byfield had that ability, he'd be the best prospect in the league, regardless of actual production, he had several chances to finish hits and chose not to last night....but thats another argument....

Problem is, the game is slowly moving away from the "OMG finish your hit all costs" mentality, which sucks, that's what I grew up with, that's what I coached, but that's not where the game is now, the game is now, be smart...don't take an offensive zone penalty to make a hit, and the standard is changing, it used to be a good 20 seconds you can hit someone...(hyperbole expected) now, if it's a nanosecond off, you have a 50/50 shot of being called for it.....

I think an EXTREMELY underrated part of physicality that this team has, that not a lot of people recognize, is to take the hit, make the play, and keep on going, I touched on this earlier, there is nothing more demoralizing to an opponent, for them to absolutely hammer a player, and then that player pops up like nothing happen, takes the puck and goes the other way

EDIT: Another underrated bit of physicality, is blocking shots.....extremely physical and tough to do....but do it well, and you increase you chances of winning...

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Lemieux takes runs, but Grundstrom is the only one who actually plays a consistently hard game, and it isn’t something that can easily be addressed without a major organizational shakeup.

There was one shift where the 4th line started finishing their checks and it rattled Pittsburgh, was hoping they were getting annoyed and turning the corner to play simple hockey but it stopped after that.

And yes forcing mistakes due to being hit, is absolutely one aspect of physicality, in fact, if Byfield had that ability, he'd be the best prospect in the league, regardless of actual production, he had several chances to finish hits and chose not to last night....but thats another argument....

Problem is, the game is slowly moving away from the "OMG finish your hit all costs" mentality, which sucks, that's what I grew up with, that's what I coached, but that's not where the game is now, the game is now, be smart...don't take an offensive zone penalty to make a hit, and the standard is changing, it used to be a good 20 seconds you can hit someone...(hyperbole expected) now, if it's a nanosecond off, you have a 50/50 shot of being called for it.....

I think an EXTREMELY underrated part of physicality that this team has, that not a lot of people recognize, is to take the hit, make the play, and keep on going, I touched on this earlier, there is nothing more demoralizing to an opponent, for them to absolutely hammer a player, and then that player pops up like nothing happen, takes the puck and goes the other way

EDIT: Another underrated bit of physicality, is blocking shots.....extremely physical and tough to do....but do it well, and you increase you chances of winning...

That's because they've been chasing almost every game.

I too was annoyed at Byfield's drive bys, and I don't think that's a different argument at all.

I don't think it's in the name of avoiding ozone penalties, I seem to recall once Sutter left guys mentioned they were asked to keep their speed up, so they started avoiding making hits deep in the zone when the other team had control. That seems to have stuck.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Wow, good thing i had plans yesterday for the movies. Totally forgot they had a game last night until logging on just now. Seems like i picked a great time to miss & forget about the game. Lucky me.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
There was one shift where the 4th line started finishing their checks and it rattled Pittsburgh, was hoping they were getting annoyed and turning the corner to play simple hockey but it stopped after that.

That's because they've been chasing almost every game.

I too was annoyed at Byfield's drive bys, and I don't think that's a different argument at all.

I don't think it's in the name of avoiding ozone penalties, I seem to recall once Sutter left guys mentioned they were asked to keep their speed up, so they started avoiding making hits deep in the zone when the other team had control. That seems to have stuck.

Different argument as it relates to Byfield personally etc....I don't think he has the mindset to develop that into his game.

Avoiding ozone penalties, and maybe not getting caught etc....if the other team has control, barreling into them is a fools errand....two passes and you are two zones behind.....plus, if they are able to keep that speed and make that hit, nowdays, that's charging....

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Wait, we were told by many eminent posters here that players like an in his prime Dwight King simply are not needed in today's NHL. If your 3rd line winger can't dangle his way to a goal every 8th or 9th game, what good is he?

Players like Dwight King are to be mocked, not recognized for what they contribute to winning hockey games.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016

In Kuparis best games in the NHL he was playing a hard game. Hes got good speed and was forechecking and finishing his checks every shift. Caused some turnovers that helped his line in the offensive zone.
I dont watch the Reign much but I really hope hes not out there dangling as a middle 6 center. Right wing power forward with some speed and skill could be his bread and butter.

Reactions: psych3man and respD

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Wait, we were told by many eminent posters here that players like an in his prime Dwight King simply are not needed in today's NHL. If your 3rd line winger can't dangle his way to a goal every 8th or 9th game, what good is he?

Players like Dwight King are to be mocked, not recognized for what they contribute to winning hockey games.

Name me a comparable player in TODAYS NHL like Dwight Kings......

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Alright. We're getting absurd again.

I'm pretty sure nobody was a King fan when he first got called up. Likely nobody said yeah, no, he's a missing piece in 11-12 when the team couldn't score. I'm all but certain that D.King was likely mocked, certainly after the winning ended, but probably during the winning too, at least when the team went into one of their slumps, and then he was put on some top line to try and get that line going. Just guessing, but if there weren't any, "Is Sutter an idiot for doing this?" type questions, I'd be shocked.

When he was tied for 4th on the team in goals in 13-14, and 7th in pts, I can't see that as having been seen as a positive.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Alright. We're getting absurd again.

I'm pretty sure nobody was a King fan when he first got called up. Likely nobody said yeah, no, he's a missing piece in 11-12 when the team couldn't score. I'm all but certain that D.King was likely mocked, certainly after the winning ended, but probably during the winning too, at least when the team went into one of their slumps, and then he was put on some top line to try and get that line going. Just guessing, but if there weren't any, "Is Sutter an idiot for doing this?" type questions, I'd be shocked.

When he was tied for 4th on the team in goals in 13-14, and 7th in pts, I can't see that as having been seen as a positive.

He was mocked soundly his entire tenure, that's for certain.

But what he's alluding to is that there's more than one way to score, and . Those Kings were hockey's equivalent of a ground-and-pound running team so King fit that identity more than "scorer" but let's not pretend he didn't do that too, remember that this is a franchise that had The Great One yet our record holder for goals in a WCF is...Dwight King.

You can't dangle your way into the net and the team Blake has put together is like having 12 Darren Sproles lined up at forward every night.

Name me a comparable player in TODAYS NHL like Dwight Kings......

Lawson Crouse. And if you think he scores too much because of one season, then the Ducks just picked up Pavol Regenda, Nico Sturmon the Sharks, etc.

They're all over the place. Not as prominent in a faster, more penalty-happy era, but around and useful nonetheless.

Reactions: KINGS17

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
In Kuparis best games in the NHL he was playing a hard game. Hes got good speed and was forechecking and finishing his checks every shift. Caused some turnovers that helped his line in the offensive zone.
I dont watch the Reign much but I really hope hes not out there dangling as a middle 6 center. Right wing power forward with some speed and skill could be his bread and butter.
I agree, I think Kupari's style is what this team needs right now. It seemed like he was putting it together at the end of last season. Hopefully Blake makes room for him soon.

RV is probably the player I want to see replaced the most, he's put together a nice string of really bad and uninspired performances. I don't know if he's still nursing an injury or something, but he's been frustrating to watch, acts like a brat constantly. Turnovers left and right, and as a small guy he needs to be agile so he can get around checks, but he hasn't been and has been getting separated from the puck so easily.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017

Well, the Kings have played 6 games, while other teams in the league have only played 3. It's not that interesting.

I do agree that the league is tighter regarding interference, but I don't think the league has fully moved away from finishing hits being a successful strategy. The only team other team in the league that seems to shy away from finishing checks as much as the Kings is the Leafs. They have some high end talent so they can get away with it in the regular season, but you see them thrown off their game so easily in the playoffs. I don't think watching Matthews get ragdolled by Weber inspired any of the Leafs in that series. There has been this weird connection between the Leafs and Kings and it really seems like Blake is trying to follow Shanny sometimes. I mean they were in that commercial together, so maybe there is something there.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The previous Coach TM wasn’t a Dwight King fan before anyone mocked him. Somehow that “dinosaur” Sutter didn’t see things that way. Maybe the current Coach TM spends some time scouting the Reign and calls up Helenius and Lee late in the season.​

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad