GDT: 2022-23 season game 49 LA Kings vs Chicago Blackhawks @4:00pm 1/22/23

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
It was a good win because it stabilized Copley.. another bad start and crazy stuff could happen like trying to send Copley back through waivers and *shudder* bring up Cal.

Right now, I'd go back to rotating the guys. Too much rust on Quick , he took the loss the other night, but was much much better than the NJ game.

• Haha
Reactions: Surf Nutz

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Right now, I'd go back to rotating the guys. Too much rust on Quick , he took the loss the other night, but was much much better than the NJ game.
Here's my theory.. when JQ plays the D has to worry about covering the weak side goal mouth because JQ is always challenging the shooter.. that creates more chaos for the defense. Also i dont have the stats to back it up, but it sure seems like Copley swallows a lot more pucks which also keeps things more copasetic. And the thing I mentioned before is that the team feels they need to help out a lot more with Copley in net - which had a serendipitous effect of playing more responsibly.. for these reasons I think Copley should get more starts - not 12 in a row... but say 2/3 to 1/3.

Last edited:

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Here's my theory.. when JQ plays the D has to worry about covering the weak side goal mouth because JQ is always challenging the shooter.. that creates more chaos for the defense. Also i dont have the stats to back it up, but it sure seems like Copley swallows a lot of pucks which also keeps things more copasetic. And the thing I mentioned before is that the team feels they need to help out a lot more with Copley in net - which had a serendipitous effect of playing more responsibly.. for these reasons I think Copley should get more starts - not 12 in a row... but say 2/3 to 1/3.
Copley is a positional butterfly goalie, where he relies on playing angles, staying square to the shot and use his big size to his advantage(take away shooting options). Quick is an acrobatic butterfly goalie that plays very aggressive, but is okay playing his angles and being square to the puck. Quick's flaws at this stage are his age(37) and his aggressiveness. He needs to relearn being more patient and controlled, if he still wants to be a good goalie.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Copley is a positional butterfly goalie, where he relies on playing angles, staying square to the shot and use his big size to his advantage(take away shooting options). Quick is an acrobatic butterfly goalie that plays very aggressive, but is okay playing his angles and being square to the puck. Quick's flaws at this stage are his age(37) and his aggressiveness. He needs to relearn being more patient and controlled, if he still wants to be a good goalie.
100%..His style depends on athleticism and flexibility more than position - things which fade w age.. also positional goalies tend to be big - thats the tradeoff. they take up space and dont have to worry as much about covering the net like smaller guys e.g. JQ and Sauros .. who compensate w athleticism. I dont think JQ can change at this point..unless he really want to dedicate himself to say 2 or 3 months in the A retooling.

Reactions: kinghock

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
100%..His style depends on athleticism and flexibility more than position - things which fade w age.. also positional goalies tend to be big - thats the tradeoff. they take up space and dont have to worry as much about covering the net like smaller guys e.g. JQ and Sauros .. who compensate w athleticism. I dont think JQ can change at this point..unless he really want to dedicate himself to say 2 or 3 months in the A retooling.
We've been saying for at least 5 years that Quick needs to be less aggressive. It's never going to change at this point.

Reactions: kinghock

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Stop the bleeding win is a perfect description. I’m fine with it. They did it in regulation, too.

Turcotte line had some snap to them. Byfield played great and could’ve easily had a point or three.

Stop the bleeding win is the absolutely perfect description.

Unfortunately it was an unsettling "you just barely beat the JV win." I didn't see anything that projects positively forward.

dman3474

Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
Liked Bjornfots game tonight, showed some good strength against the boards.

Could tell that Turcotte was playing not to make mistakes.

Kupari had a better game and played more relaxed. Had some good back checks and played the body well.

Good for Dolan getting a couple goals.

Goodbye Lizotte and Grundstrom, kids are making you expendable.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
We've been saying for at least 5 years that Quick needs to be less aggressive. It's never going to change at this point.

You could never change how he plays and still have the same goalie. When the Kings were efficiently boring, Quick could do whatever he wanted, and be who he is. Once the Kings started to loosen up, which started in 2013, when Mitchell was out, and Greene was out, and Martinez missed time, and trainwreck Muzzin was playing, and Ellerby was brought in as some sort of answer, and really got going come the 2014 playoffs where the Kings had to actually outscore teams to win, not just keep other teams off the scoreboard, the way Quick plays started to become an issue.

He individually was great in the 2013 playoffs, 17-18, even last year relatively speaking, but Quick is Quick. We know he's stubborn. Which, classically, can be a good thing, but also the downfall. He probably couldn't change how he plays. He has to be the athlete playing goal. Are there even that many examples of a goalie changing the way they play? It's probably why the position is so notoriously fickle from one year to the next.

psych3man

Dec 17, 2019
Outside Chicago
Liked Bjornfots game tonight, showed some good strength against the boards.

Could tell that Turcotte was playing not to make mistakes.

Kupari had a better game and played more relaxed. Had some good back checks and played the body well.

Good for Dolan getting a couple goals.

Goodbye Lizotte and Grundstrom, kids are making you expendable.
Maybe I'm biased because I have loved this kid from before draft day but I was at the game with great seats and Turcotte was all over the ice hustling like crazy. He was winning board battles, working hard to always backcheck, crisp passes and receptions. Doing everything he is touted for. Remember, he was playing with 89 and 68...a true kids line...I thought he played very well. Give the kid some established talent around him and watch what happens.

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
I watched the Chicago feed but it kept freezing all night long but their announcers were saying how dominant the kings were and how lucky the hawks were to be down by only two , because of the breakdown of the feed I couldn’ t tell was it superior defensive play or inferior talent that we won ,asking for a friend

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I watched the Chicago feed but it kept freezing all night long but their announcers were saying how dominant the kings were and how lucky the hawks were to be down by only two , because of the breakdown of the feed I couldn’ t tell was it superior defensive play or inferior talent that we won ,asking for a friend
They were lying through their teeth....Kings were extremely lucky to score a goal, let alone win, they have zero talent, no cohesion, the coach is a flipping moron, the GM only knows how to surf.......it's lucky they aren't relegated.......those opposing announcers know nothing about the Kings...

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Maybe I'm biased because I have loved this kid from before draft day but I was at the game with great seats and Turcotte was all over the ice hustling like crazy. He was winning board battles, working hard to always backcheck, crisp passes and receptions. Doing everything he is touted for. Remember, he was playing with 89 and 68...a true kids line...I thought he played very well. Give the kid some established talent around him and watch what happens.
yep, have been excited for this kid since he was drafted...thought be played well last night and was very close to scoring on that feed from JAD I think where he was crashing the net.

On the flip side, it feels like he is one good hit away from another IR stint.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
They were lying through their teeth....Kings were extremely lucky to score a goal, let alone win, they have zero talent, no cohesion, the coach is a flipping moron, the GM only knows how to surf.......it's lucky they aren't relegated.......those opposing announcers know nothing about the Kings...
Now that Boudreau is available, Kings should seriously consider grabbing him while they can.

Last edited:

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Kings were dominant through the first two periods. Chicago barely had any shots and couldnt sustain offensive pressure.
Then the Kings had a really bad third period. Good teams would have made them pay for it. New Jersey and Boston just beat them in the third and Nashville came back and beat them in the third the day before.
They have to play a full 60 minutes but yesterday maybe the travel and back to back caught up with them.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Not sure why but the Iafallo-Danault-Arvidsson line has once again had an epic run of getting outplayed. A collective -18, 2 assists over the past 4 games, 3 losses 1 win.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Not sure why but the Iafallo-Danault-Arvidsson line has once again had an epic run of getting outplayed. A collective -18, 2 assists over the past 4 games, 3 losses 1 win.
1674485340294.png

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Man a lot doom and gloom in the socials over the Kings.

You don’t pull a Boston every year and can’t win them all. Kings are a good team when they play to their strengths. What’s more is they are fun to watch. 82 games will have ups and downs. Games played are about even and they are in the thick of it.

Yes it was lowly Chicago but hadn’t they just won like 6-7 or something?

dman3474

Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
Ya, but he has more to offer if he wasn’t afraid of making a mistake and not playing another shift or getting sent back down again. It’s more of a comfort level thing, and once he’s more comfortable out there it will be great! I want him and Kupari to gain some chemistry and then toss Arty on the right side when he comes back, that could be a solid line!!

And it’s also me not liking Todd that he can’t integrate a young player into his lineup and let him make a couple mistakes and keep playing the kid.

Reactions: psych3man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad