GDT: 2022-23 season game 48 LA Kings vs Nashville Predators @5:00pm 1/21/22

JTeller97

Dec 25, 2020
On the plus side, I'm very excited to see Byfield starting to excel. I know we lament the organization for slow cooking and neutering the offensive skill sets of our young players but, I've been highly impressed with Quinton's play away from the puck since being back up, he's wreaking havoc on both the backcheck and forecheck while even starting to throw his body around. Now with the trust, he's earned with Todd you're starting to see his confidence rise and the points should follow. He definitely needs to get stronger in the corners and needs to work on his defensive positioning but that's to be expected with a 20 year old. Give this kid a couple offseasons and you will see an absolute monster by the time he's 23.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
The depth that the Kings relied on to start the season isn’t there now and it shows in the struggles they’re having.

JAD, Kupari and Fagemo are not Kaliyev, Moore and Vilardi. With the depth they could overcome bad goalie play and defensive breakdowns. They could roll all 4 lines, now it’s like 2&1/2 lines. Because they never all seem to roll at the same time.
JAD and Fagemo are for sure not Kaliyev, Moore and Vilardi.

Kupari has potential to be, but he needs coach believing in him.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Todd was asking "what's our identity?" like the first 6 weeks....he and Blake pretty much created the identity and not the players. 'a smallish, soft, inconsistent team, that has subpar goaltending most nights, with unbalanced defensive pairings...yet can be exciting at times and score more goals than the other team'

The staff created this identity....the players could not overcome it, to be something better.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Let's hope Stoll comes back from Finland with a 6'4" 215 lb LHD around 25 years old that can skate, pass, hit and clear the crease...block shots and exit his zone flawlessly...and a 24 year old Goalie that has a .933 save percentage and last soft goal given up was 2019. Somehow, these 2 were missed in the draft. Otherwise, his trip was in vain.

Kind of like how the Kings found Andreas Lilja in the SHL....who could play and to an extent, Oscar Fatenberg as well. But this defenseman is even better than those....and goalie Erik Ersberg. Wait, those are Swedes. Send Stoll to Sweden too.

Last edited:

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Prior to the three game losing streak people on here were talking about a playoff run. Doom and gloom has set in now.

Standings were always skewed with the games in hand. Edmonton has McDavid willing them to the top. Kane will help. Vegas is injured but still a top team.

Seattle, Calgary and LA will fight it out with Nashville for the three last spots in all likelihood. Just can’t have prolonged losing streaks.

Goaltending and team defense is symbiotic. Who ever plays in Chicago needs a good game.

Each team has issues. The Kings, when healthy, are legit playoff contenders.

Long way to go still.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Todd was asking "what's our identity?" like the first 6 weeks....he and Blake pretty much created the identity and not the players. 'a smallish, soft, inconsistent team, that has subpar goaltending most nights, with unbalanced defensive pairings...yet can be exciting at times and score more goals than the other team'

The staff created this identity....the players could not overcome it, to be something better

You absolutely nailed it.

I would love this sentence wrapped around our crest on banners at the photo charity event.

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
Looking at it now.. The only reason the Kings are where they are is because Calgary, the Aves and other teams below them were struggling, but they have gotten their ship straight and in a couple of weeks they will pass the Kings up because the Kings are still inconsistent in their game. Allstar break is the time the when the true contenders start to push hard. Honesty Luc Blake and Tod need to be replaced with experienced hockey knowledgeable people that know how to build a team the right way.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Looking at it now.. The only reason the Kings are where they are is because Calgary, the Aves and other teams below them were struggling, but they have gotten their ship straight and in a couple of weeks they will pass the Kings up because the Kings are still inconsistent in their game. Allstar break is the time the when the true contenders start to push hard. Honesty Luc Blake and Tod need to be replaced with experienced hockey knowledgeable people that know how to build a team the right way.
Lmao holy shit....

Ok so COL and CGY were struggling....that's the ONLY REASON why LA is where they are according to you....

So LA can't ever struggle, cuz when they do they aren't built the right way.....but other teams struggle, it's OK?

Help me out understanding this f***ed up logic here

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Anyone who thinks this team is as good as their records/points/standings must be fooling themselves in thinking they know hockey ;) ;)

It's mostly smoke & mirrors. As evidenced by their goal differential among other things (that have been posted by others).

The frustrating thing is they are right there and with such great potential. But Blake/TM continue to have them play with basically one hand tied behind their back. Last year was fine since it was a development year imo. But this year, with DD back and Fiala, i don't understand the continued unbalanced roster and lack of goalie options/importance. If they were still in the building process, then who cares about standings and wins/points for 1-2 years. But not the case now. Just kind of bizarre. I hated Blake, then gave him a chance and was behind him in a positive way. But now I am thinking he has no game plan and understand how to build a team and identity to win LT.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Just a bit of a losing streak I still believe they can make the playoffs. Problem is goaltending needs to improve. Copley has come down to earth and Quick has one foot out the door to retirement. Just gotta weather the storm. Not even sure who blake can get.
Cory Schneider?

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Lmao holy shit....

Ok so COL and CGY were struggling....that's the ONLY REASON why LA is where they are according to you....

So LA can't ever struggle, cuz when they do they aren't built the right way.....but other teams struggle, it's OK?

Help me out understanding this f***ed up logic here

This is not what he said...

He said that teams are sturggling below us who don't belong to be below us in the standing.
As soon as those teams gain momentum and they do right now, we will find our self fighting for a playoff spot

Reactions: jgs

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Seattle
Nashville
Calgary
LA

Are all pretty even teams. Gonna come down to goaltending probably.

Colorado lost some key pieces and is dealing with injuries but they are defending champs and should get in.

LA needs an Ekholm type on the back end but also needs its forwards to help out. One addition isn’t going to magically make things right. Put the work in and don’t cheat on defense. Stop turning the puck over at the blue line for odd man rushes.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
This is not what he said...

He said that teams are sturggling below us who don't belong to be below us in the standing.
As soon as those teams gain momentum and they do right now, we will find our self fighting for a playoff spot

Again, HE said the ONLY reason they are where they are, is OTHER teams struggling.....

So the Kings had nothing to do with where they are...in his eyes.......

And no one has ever said we won't be fighting for a playoff spot....

Anyone who thinks this team is as good as their records/points/standings must be fooling themselves in thinking they know hockey ;) ;)

It's mostly smoke & mirrors. As evidenced by their goal differential among other things (that have been posted by others).

The frustrating thing is they are right there and with such great potential. But Blake/TM continue to have them play with basically one hand tied behind their back. Last year was fine since it was a development year imo. But this year, with DD back and Fiala, i don't understand the continued unbalanced roster and lack of goalie options/importance. If they were still in the building process, then who cares about standings and wins/points for 1-2 years. But not the case now. Just kind of bizarre. I hated Blake, then gave him a chance and was behind him in a positive way. But now I am thinking he has no game plan and understand how to build a team and identity to win LT.

As opposed to the morons who shit their pants after ONE loss?

There is a reason why the season is 82 games......EVERY team...has ebbs and flows (except maybe Boston this year, that's just freaking unreal) But show me a team that hasn't slumped......or hasn't peaked a bit....

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Seattle
Nashville
Calgary
LA

Are all pretty even teams. Gonna come down to goaltending probably.

Colorado lost some key pieces and is dealing with injuries but they are defending champs and should get in.

LA needs an Ekholm type on the back end but also needs its forwards to help out. One addition isn’t going to magically make things right. Put the work in and don’t cheat on defense. Stop turning the puck over at the blue line for odd man rushes.
Avs havent had Landeskog all season.. Byram has been out 2 months.. these guys due to return post all star break. I'd Expect them to finish strong.

Reactions: LAKings88

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
1 vs 3...who lost and got planted into the ice? He tried to beat 3 guys...1..2..3...THREE. Two of them got assists on the gwg. The Kings shouldn't have to defend stupidity.
I don’t care how he turned it over, I care about where. He has zero blame.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Bullshit....he was not INSIDE the blueline...thats's where slid to.....he was outside the blueline, got knocked on his ass, put himself offside......instead of getting the puck in deep

Reactions: Schmooley

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
You are in the wrong here. He hadnt even hit the blue line yet when he turned it over.
It was a horrible play and he could have very easily just dumped it in. I bet he would tell you that himself.
How and where he turned it over both matter in this example.
Watch the replay if your memory is fuzzy.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
You are in the wrong here. He hadnt even hit the blue line yet when he turned it over.
It was a horrible play and he could have very easily just dumped it in. I bet he would tell you that himself.
How and where he turned it over both matter in this example.
Watch the replay if your memory is fuzzy.

I have it clear, only because when I saw it.....I went.....f***.....numbnuts was arguing over Lizotte....and he does this.....I'm gonna hear it...lol

Reactions: Schmooley

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The frustrating thing is they are right there and with such great potential. But Blake/TM continue to have them play with basically one hand tied behind their back. Last year was fine since it was a development year imo.
What's even more frustrating is can we call it a development year if the key prospects are still in a lesser role, predominantly?

Reactions: Schrute farms

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Despite what certain troll-ish posters might tell you on here, the Kings are a mentally weak team. There is no other way to explain the repeated collapses we’ve seen all season. Give up one goal? Oh why not give up 2 more right after that? That’s the reason the goal differential is concerning. It’s a sign of a fragile team with no balls.

Reactions: KINGS17

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
The Kings were lucky last year that they had so many injuries on defense. It forced them to play the young guys. This year, practically no injuries on D which means no Spence or Bjornfot…ever. The absolute stupidest decision of the season is to repeatedly go with the vets while the better, cheaper, younger players sit.

JJDrums

Oct 27, 2015
Cambridge, Ontario
lizotte was signed as a college free agent, a free asset. Time to use him as such and include him in a trade. I like his game but tonight’s mistake shows how he gets tossed around like a play toy. You saw it against Dallas and That’s only going to get worse in the playoffs. It draws penalties, but I rather have a bigger body that can do more

Kupari is a bigger body, better hands, more potential to grow into a bigger roll. He’s getting neutered a bit at the moment but if kaliyev and Moore come back the lines should shake themselves out better for him.

Byfield will hopefully realize that he is a big guy and can create space for himself as he gets stronger. Hopefully strong enough to pull off that move with a guy draped over him.

No need to dress a guy to play him 4 minutes. If he can’t be trusted with a somewhat regular shift, he can go the way of the dodo too. Playing someone 4 minutes is not a good way to use all the assets at your disposal. Dress a 7th D or a talented first round pick instead.

Do we get to see lineup changes for tomorrow? Who knows, todd is gonna todd. Hopefully he Todd’s himself to the unemployment line
Hope this is TMs last game. Enough tools to at least be competitive but the coach is a disaster.

Reactions: dman3474

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
The Kings were lucky last year that they had so many injuries on defense. It forced them to play the young guys. This year, practically no injuries on D which means no Spence or Bjornfot…ever. The absolute stupidest decision of the season is to repeatedly go with the vets while the better, cheaper, younger players sit.
100% on Blake for over-signing replacement level players. They have to play them now. Especially when you've got two NHL contracts in Ontario already in Cal and Wagner. How many more mistakes like this are allowed? It's hamstrung the ability to make any kind of deal or actually play your best defensemen in the organization. It offsets all of the good moves he's made.

Reactions: KINGS17

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
100% on Blake for over-signing replacement level players. They have to play them now. Especially when you've got two NHL contracts in Ontario already in Cal and Wagner. How many more mistakes like this are allowed? It's hamstrung the ability to make any kind of deal or actually play your best defensemen in the organization. It offsets all of the good moves he's made.
I have to believe that there’s at least one team in the league that would trade for Walker for a pick. What scares me is that I think these guys actually believe that he’s better than Spence and that’s the reason he plays every game.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00