GDT: 2022-23 season game 47 LA Kings vs Dallas Stars @7:30pm 1/19/23

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Blackburn, Blackwood, Blackskevichov. He's a 3rd string goalie who beat the Kings again. They keep losing to back ups.
In general it doesn't matter who the opponent goalie is.

We don't have any structured offensive play or creativity.
Our goals are always lucky deflections or flat out shot into the crowd in front of the goal and then scamble.

This catches some top teams by surprise 1 or 2 games but is not competitive in playoff.
When was the last time our center forced the opponent out of position, did a great pass and the winger just tipped in ?
It's just about luck and being in an ECHL division

It really doesn't matter who our opponent goalie is since we can beat All Star Goalies or being shut down by 3rd stringers

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
In general it doesn't matter who the opponent goalie is.

We don't have any structured offensive play or creativity.
Our goals are always lucky deflections or flat out shot into the crowd in front of the goal and then scamble.

This catches some top teams by surprise 1 or 2 games but is not competitive in playoff.
When was the last time our center forced the opponent out of position, did a great pass and the winger just tipped in ?
It's just about luck and being in an ECHL division

It really doesn't matter who our opponent goalie is since we can beat All Star Goalies or being shut down by 3rd stringers
That’s blatantly untrue. I’m assuming you aren’t lying and instead haven’t watched many games.

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
Todd, Kopitar and Doughty are the liabilities. Who is the leader? I cant tell.
A coach who isnt smart and tactically aware. Two players past their primes who are making approximately twice as much as they should be paid based on current play.
$33 M off our cap is on these 4: Kopitar Doughty Cal and Quick. I want a refund.
Duct tape and botox cant fix that.

Reactions: Kurrilino

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
A coach who isnt smart and tactically aware. Two players past their primes who are making approximately twice as much as they should be paid based on current play.
$33 M off our cap is on these 4: Kopitar Doughty Cal and Quick. I want a refund.
Leadership is certainly a question mark, though the leadership group is obvious and bears responsibility. Kopi and Doughty are obviously being paid for past work, but at the same time, they are serviceable. Kopi is 2nd in scoring and .75 PPG despite being in decline, and Doughty is still our #1 defenseman, a plus player on this sieve of a team, and leads our D in scoring at .59 PPG. Both need reduced roles in certain areas, but also both aren't necessarily responsible for the team losing most nights.

Quick and Cal are the anchors right now on the cap, but Quick is almost gone now and can't be expected to carry this team, and Cal isn't even on the team so we can't really blame him anymore either :P Quick is the only liability remaining really from the veteran player standpoint.

Todd definitely deserves criticism though. Not everything is his fault and he has done some good things, but he is the head coach, has the most control over the team and the buck stops with him as far as the performance and utilization he gets out of the players.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
your refund would also have to come with returning two banners.

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
Leadership is certainly a question mark, though the leadership group is obvious and bears responsibility. Kopi and Doughty are obviously being paid for past work, but at the same time, they are serviceable. Kopi is 2nd in scoring and .75 PPG despite being in decline, and Doughty is still our #1 defenseman, a plus player on this sieve of a team, and leads our D in scoring at .59 PPG. Both need reduced roles in certain areas, but also both aren't necessarily responsible for the team losing most nights.

Quick and Cal are the anchors right now on the cap, but Quick is almost gone now and can't be expected to carry this team, and Cal isn't even on the team so we can't really blame him anymore either :P Quick is the only liability remaining really from the veteran player standpoint.

Todd definitely deserves criticism though. Not everything is his fault and he has done some good things, but he is the head coach, has the most control over the team and the buck stops with him as far as the performance and utilization he gets out of the players.
I think until those 4 guys are off our cap we arent going to make it out of the 2nd round. I hope I am wrong.
Kopi and Doughty are still decent players but at $11M each per annum its painful to watch.

Reactions: Telos

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I would argue a $10 mill 1st line center who is playing like fringe NHL'er has something to do with the outcome of this game.

Pissed me off when people shit on Brown and now am seeing it with Kopitar. No he is not a $10M center today, but there were years where he was over and above. Cost of keeping a star like Kopitar.

Kopitar has very little to do with our goalies Save %. They said last night that during his time with the kings Copley has faced the fewest high danger scoring chances in the league (they didn't say per game or not), I would argue that Kopitar would have more to do with the second stat than the first.

I think until those 4 guys are off our cap we arent going to make it out of the 2nd round. I hope I am wrong.
Kopi and Doughty are still decent players but at $11M each per annum its painful to watch.
all depends on how quickly guys on ELC can develop. This team has holes that are greater than kopitar's contract. He is not overpaid by $5M like Petersen is, but yet bears more of the blame.

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
Pissed me off when people shit on Brown and now am seeing it with Kopitar. No he is not a $10M center today, but there were years where he was over and above. Cost of keeping a star like Kopitar.

Kopitar has very little to do with our goalies Save %. They said last night that during his time with the kings Copley has faced the fewest high danger scoring chances in the league (they didn't say per game or not), I would argue that Kopitar would have more to do with the second stat than the first.

all depends on how quickly guys on ELC can develop. This team has holes that are greater than kopitar's contract. He is not overpaid by $5M like Petersen is, but yet bears more of the blame.
Brown made like 5.5 M, he was never one of the highest paid players in the league. Nobody ever questioned Brown as a leader, it was his on-ice play that cost him the C. I see zero leadership from the $22M twins.

Reactions: Kurrilino

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Sidney Crosby, Jonathan Quick, and Jordan Staal are the only players left in the league with pre-lockout 10 year contracts. This is the final year for both Quick and Staal, meaning that Crosby's 12-year contract will be the last long-term contract in the league. All three of these contracts were signed on July 1st, 2012. $222,000,000 between the three of them.

I don't think many of us would have expected Quick to still even be playing this year back in July of 2012.

(Technically, Shea Weber's contract is even longer than Crosby's at 14 years, but he's been LTIRetired for a year already)

Reactions: YP44

bland

Jul 1, 2004

Actually I think you are wrong here. The manner in which this team collapses in on itself after a soft goal IS a leadership problem and that falls squarely on Kopitar and Doughty.

The goalies here cave in on themselves instead of being supported. A team with proper leadership would see when they need to be picked up and act accordingly - instead the Kings leadership allows one goal to turn into four and that just sinks the goalies confidence over and over again, makes them look like the scapegoat instead of rallying behind them. Its not new, this has been par for their course under Kopitar's entire reign as captain. Mole hills turn into mountains at the drop of a hat.

Reactions: LeftKinger

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Actually I think you are wrong here. The manner in which this team collapses in on itself after a soft goal IS a leadership problem and that falls squarely on Kopitar and Doughty.

The goalies here cave in on themselves instead of being supported. A team with proper leadership would see when they need to be picked up and act accordingly - instead the Kings leadership allows one goal to turn into four and that just sinks the goalies confidence over and over again, makes them look like the scapegoat instead of rallying behind them. Its not new, this has been par for their course under Kopitar's entire reign as captain. Mole hills turn into mountains at the drop of a hat.
From what I can see LA needs a goalie to make a save and bring the team up. I never brought up leadership as I find it hard to evaluate leadership from my couch, not sure how you are able to.

Reactions: funky

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
From what I can see LA needs a goalie to make a save and bring the team up. I never brought up leadership as I find it hard to evaluate leadership from my couch, not sure how you are able to.

Watch their body language and blank stares on the bench after a bad play, no one says a word, thousand mile stares like the sharks collapse.

How quickly they give up goals in bunches when things start falling apart.

How many times, previously, they gave up goals in important moments.

How many nights they fold to a physical opponent, especially teams like Dallas and Seattle with bigger dmen.

Mental fortitude. Does this team have it? It's arguable. That's part of leadership imo. I don't need to hear who's cheerleading or throwing tables in the room to see a mentally weak team.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
That’s blatantly untrue. I’m assuming you aren’t lying and instead haven’t watched many games.

Nope, i see it exactly this way.
Our offense has no way to dominate opposing defenses.
The goals we score just happen instead being enforced.

Kopitar has very little to do with our goalies Save %.

If Kopitar would be a dominant center as $10 mill would demand, the opponent wouldn't even be in our zone.
Beside that, you don't win many games with 0 goals scored, regardless your goalie quality

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Nope, i see it exactly this way.
Our offense has no way to dominate opposing defenses.
The goals we score just happen instead being enforced.

If Kopitar would be a dominant center as $10 mill would demand, the opponent wouldn't even be in our zone.
haha ok. so McDavid is not worth his pay because he is out there for some BS goal Skinner or Campbell let in?

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Re leadership - the captain to me isnt more important than other members of the core group.. on the cup teams to me JW was the key leader - he had mental fortutde and set the tone night after night.. and with Green, Stoll, Brown, Richards, Quick, Mitchell and Kopi that was a hell of a leadership group. Kopi is not a strong leader thats for sure.. but there is a weak core now. DD is not a natural leader either. Danault pretty good and could be a future captain. Overall the current leadership group is below average.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
haha ok. so McDavid is not worth his pay because he is out there for some BS goal Skinner or Campbell let in?

We are following the Kings here, not the Oilers.
But yes, i don't want McDavid or Draisaitl near to my team.
Those guys have very little interest in actually playing hockey, all they do is stat padding.
They are the main reason, the Oilers aren't going anywhere.

If they would be even remotely interested in playing defense, their d-corps wouldn't be constantly outnumbered and overrun.

ibleedkings

Rob Fake
Jul 19, 2004
Santa Clarita
Those guys have very little interest in actually playing hockey, all they do is stat padding.

If they would be even remotely interested in playing defense, their d-corps wouldn't be constantly outnumbered and overrun.
Just like back in the day when you wouldn’t trade Jack Johnson for Sidney Crosby? REMEMBER THAT??? facepalm.

• Haha
Reactions: BigBrown

LeftKinger

Oct 20, 2022
Re leadership - the captain to me isnt more important than other members of the core group.. on the cup teams to me JW was the key leader - he had mental fortutde and set the tone night after night.. and with Green, Stoll, Brown, Richards, Quick, Mitchell and Kopi that was a hell of a leadership group. Kopi is not a strong leader thats for sure.. but there is a weak core now. DD is not a natural leader either. Danault pretty good and could be a future captain. Overall the current leadership group is below average.
This. Is Danault going to speak up or say anything different once he’s captain over assistant captain? I do agree that the team lacks mental fortitude, and the cause could be attributed to a number of things. To put it solely on Kopitar’s shoulder is unfair.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
your refund would also have to come with returning two banners.
No thanks, just wanted to point out how legacy costs are dragging us down, its a business. Our guys got those contracts because Toews and Kane got their contracts. Neither team has fared well since the deals were signed.

For $22M I want the leadership that Toews and Kane bring as well. That should be the best thing they are providing at this state of their careers but instead they are mute inanimate objects.

And then we have Todd who is half-bright but not in what counts. He is not tactically adaptable. He wont even call a damn timeout when the other guys score two or three in rapid succession, just to slow the momentum. He lacks basic understanding of change and its why he never got over the hump with an incredibly talented SJ roster.

I want to know who the brains and the leadership are in this on-ice product. Danault seems to have an idea.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Brown made like 5.5 M, he was never one of the highest paid players in the league. Nobody ever questioned Brown as a leader, it was his on-ice play that cost him the C. I see zero leadership from the $22M twins.
That is actually incorrect. I just listen to a dean Lombardi interview last week who said he handled the stripping of Dustin Brown wrong. The sole reason he stripped Brown was to give Kopitar the captaincy as he believed doing so would take Kopitar to the next level. He said he should’ve communicated that better with brown and that was a major regret.

Attachments

• 7C5429A5-64B4-40BD-89E8-74FC59F539C9.png
    7C5429A5-64B4-40BD-89E8-74FC59F539C9.png
    444.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

I agree with Leon as I just am not a fan of his overall game...but come on McDavid?

Reactions: The Pale King

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
That is actually incorrect. I just listen to a dean Lombardi interview last week who said he handled the stripping of Dustin Brown wrong. The sole reason he was stripped Brown was to give Kopitar the captaincy as he believed doing so would take Kopitar to the next level. He said he should’ve communicated that better with brown and that was a major regret.
That is extremely short sighted by DL. Wow.

Reactions: funky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad