GDT: 2022-23 season game 45 LA Kings vs San Jose Sharks @7:00pm 1/11/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
You didn’t mention any critiques or specifics about his performance as an analyst. You called him Anson “Race Card” Carter. You have no clue what happened behind the scenes of any of his career, so stop acting like you know what his integrity is like. This type of bullshit knee jerk reaction to anyone bringing up the ugly side of hockey is exactly how this shit keeps happening.
It would be naive to think it doesn't exist. The problem is that those who feel this way always throw it into the ether and we can sit back and listen to this **** again.

His 10 goals thereafter and quick retreat are proof that the Canucks just felt he wasn't worth the money. But you don't hear our friend Anson say that.

Last edited:

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
Good Game....hopefully a coming out party for QB and start getting points consistently. Walkers play has improved dramatically....good thing. TNT broadcasts are fun to watch....BIZ is entertaining AF.

Reactions: Fat Elvis

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Screen Shot 2023-01-12 at 6.36.46 AM.png

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I don’t think it’s outlandish to believe Carter on this considering the outrageously racist history of hockey. It’s the only overwhelmingly white sport left in America.

You don’t have to take it personally or lick Carter’s boots. But to assume race did NOT negatively affect his career is woefully naive.
Let’s be frank about it but it’s completely improbable that he hasn’t been affected by racism to some degree on his hockey journey. By how much is where there may be some discussion but it will have occurred.

I mean look at the BS about QB having no hockey IQ, based on nothing but recycling one or two internet ‘scouting’ (self proclaime) experts. Maybe it’s a factor in this case or maybe not but it’s a tag often given to black players historically that people are often quick to believe . The growth in his defensive game show’s his IQ and coachabilit, without considering the quick adaptation to LW.

Last edited:

SaltyElkHunter

Grocery Shopping in the woods
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
"He's not racist. He has black friends" energy.

Minorities are paid less than white males.

There's a lot of racism in hockey, and you can find countless tales of black people being told "they don't belong." Thus, fewer opportunities or not considered for a bigger role which would have led to a bigger paycheck.

And he's saying what he "believed" based on experiences. If he had proof he wouldn't say "I believe." He'd say "this asshole's racist and I have the receipts."
Here’s a hot take.

To be honest I think every professional athlete is over paid and 90% have a god complex.

Most are out of touch and completely entitled. When you are cashing checks for over 3.5 million a year I have a hard time listening to racism or victimization speeches. Hell, try being a white dude in a jiu jitsu gym with a bunch of Brazilians. Racism in sports is across the board. Ever go to a muay tai gym in Thailand and not be Thai. Ever play ball at a 24 hour fitness in the hood and not be African American?

Tell me what about Anson Carters plight is any different than any of these positions other than he got paid millions of dollars to do it even when he didn’t perform to the level of his contract. Yet he’s up there calling Mike Russo a racist with not a shred of evidence other than he called Anson out on being a shitty commentator.

Anson automatically goes to the “he’s a racist defense” like he did in Vancouver when he didn’t get a raise. Calling someone a racist this day can absolute ruin someone’s life. If you’re gonna make those kind of accusations they better be true. You don’t get to play that card to get you out of a situation your uncomfortable with because someone said something you didn’t like.

Let’s be frank about it but it’s completely improbable that he hasn’t been affected by racism to some degree on his hockey journey. By how much is where there may be some discussion but it will have occurred.

I mean look at the BS about QB having no hockey IQ, based on nothing but recycling one or two internet ‘scouting’ (self proclaime) experts. Maybe it’s a factor in this case or maybe not but it’s a tag often given to black players historically that people are often quick to believe . The growth in his defensive game show’s his IQ and coachabilit, without considering the quick adaptation to LW.
Who hasn’t had an instance where they were treated different because of their race? I’m not saying it’s a good thing but, shit get in line dude! That’s the world hate to break it to ya.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary

As silly as it sounds, he is right, I would just rephrase the word fluke.
The fluke is that 5 out of 8 teams are all out rebuilding in Pacific.
That means we have no other chance than just being a top team.

Question is, can we compete with other teams that go fo the cup?
The honest answer is no and those veteran reunion runs really hurt our future and set back the end of our rebuild.

Byfield and friends still have 3-4 years of growing and learning until they are ready to compete.
We should use this time wisely, not for publicity stunts

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
As silly as it sounds, he is right, I would just rephrase the word fluke.
The fluke is that 5 out of 8 teams are all out rebuilding in Pacific.
That means we have no other chance than just being a top team.
Nice spin job...but you should try again.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
That post game show was sooo cringy. Bissonnette needs to go back to his podcasts or whatever. Lundqvist looked like he wanted to die which I don’t blame him, Carter was regretting all his life choices and Drew was so confused. At one point Lundqvist straight up just said I want to talk about hockey.

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
I hated Anson Carter because he sucked when he was with the Kings. Had high hopes and he played like crap. Then he went to another team and played great. Wasn't there talk that he more concerned about starting his record label at the same time?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It would be naive to think it doesn't exist. The problem is that those who feel this way always throw it into the ether and we can sit back and listen to this **** again.

His 10 goals thereafter and quick retreat are proof that the Canucks just felt he wasn't worth the money. But you don't hear our friend Anson say that.
Have you considered to think why certain people "feel this way"?

He was also 32 after his Canucks season. And he still scored 11 goals/28 points in 64 games. That would have been top 10 in Kings scoring last season.

It's fair to argue other factors that play into a player's deployment or contract. But I think we know Carter and others have had to overcome additional hurdles to get to where they are, that hockey culture continues to handwave, that makes his POINT about race being valid.

And sorry if this seems like a call out, but "this ****" as you call it needs to be talked about, precisely BECAUSE some people still think it's just "this ****."

• Haha
Reactions: ibleedkings

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Have you considered to think why certain people "feel this way"?

He was also 32 after his Canucks season. And he still scored 11 goals/28 points in 64 games. That would have been top 10 in Kings scoring last season.

It's fair to argue other factors that play into a player's deployment or contract. But I think we know Carter and others have had to overcome additional hurdles to get to where they are, that hockey culture continues to handwave, that makes his POINT about race being valid.

And sorry if this seems like a call out, but "this ****" as you call it needs to be talked about, precisely BECAUSE some people still think it's just "this ****."
Yes KP, I have also felt lost at times.

I am sorry to call you out too but people like you keep this alive when some things just have nothing to do with race at all. It’s because they either suck or because people mess up, you know.

No no, its the color of the skin again when things don’t go their way, just because racism does exist.

Great goal by Vilardi. :cool:

Reactions: ibleedkings

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Yes KP, I have also felt lost at times.

I am sorry to call you out too but people like you keep this alive when some things just have nothing to do with race at all. It’s because they either suck or because people mess up, you know.

No no, its the color of the skin again when things don’t go their way, just because racism does exist.

Great goal by Vilardi. :cool:
Assuming that its just "things didn't go their way" is ridiculously naive in a world BUILT on institutional racism.

And I wouldn't dare to offer a solution to that problem. Its many centuries old and the fight to gain equality is comparatively in its infancy. You will see the standards of change fluctuate over the coming years, especially as the old and slows age out and those who were raised in a time that's willing to listen to expressions instead of being tired of hearing them or outright deny them shift into positions of power.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

I fully understand there are other factors. I said that. And I'd say that, by and large, things went well for Carter, because he played in the NHL and made a good deal of money relative to the rest of us. You're assuming he's just throwing out the race card "because things didn't go his way."

I tend to take seriously the remarks of people who have felt they have experienced racism. Or discrimination. Especially since we're talking about almost two decades ago. It's great that steps are taken to improve it today, but the dude retired years before we were hearing stories of bananas being thrown at Simmonds. It was just a couple years after Sean Avery said that Laroque was lying about him using a racial slur (which Frolov later confirmed Avery used to do).

Unfortunately, thinking it's **** is what makes it easier to believe racism is still prevalent. Because people don't realize they are subconsciously already deciding not to believe someone, it's very easy for others to return to racist behaviors and start the cycle over again.

And for the record, I say this as a straight white CIS male. And I've been accused of being discriminatory at work in the past (a mixed couple thought I was refusing to help them, when I just didn't see them among the multiple customers I was helping). I know unfounded accusations occur. It's important to take them seriously, whether they're true or not.

Anyway, very good game all around. The Kings got pushback from San Jose. And I know people expect a team to dominate for 60 minutes, it just doesn't happen that much at this level. It was closer than we'd like, but Reimer by and large kept them in it.

Reactions: Steve Zissou

psych3man

Dec 17, 2019
Outside Chicago
The United States right now is by far the land of the greatest opportunity for any color ever to exist on earth.
Free market capitalism has lifted more people out of poverty and given more people more opportunity than any system ever devised. Opportunities have never been more open to more people than right now. It is impossible to deny the massive progress of this country in those areas through all the years, and that this country has made the most progress for the most people than any in human history.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Assuming that its just "things didn't go their way" is ridiculously naive in a world BUILT on institutional racism.
The world has always been built on class hierarchies - Romans had plebs.. Christians vs pagans. Feudal caste systems. In England for centuries you were treated as higher or lower class based on your accent not your skin color. The critical theory that came out of marxism started to analyze power structures and how they are self reinforcing... this got brought into law schools in the 80s to analyze how laws help/hurt different groups. Then critical race theory co-opted this concept and applied directly to race. The problem with it, is its not different than any other stereotyping... looking at everything through a racial lens... its an attempt to flip the hierarchy in a different direction. This is not a solution, it will just make new winners and new victims. My guess is that Carter actually got help along the way because he was black because theres a lot of good people out there. im sure he also was subject to racism... the point is, each person has their own journey, to assume anything about it based on his skin color is speculation.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The world has always been built on class hierarchies - Romans had plebs.. Christians vs pagans. Feudal caste systems. In England for centuries you were treated as higher or lower class based on your accent not your skin color. The critical theory that came out of marxism started to analyze power structures and how they are self reinforcing... this got brought into law schools in the 80s to analyze how laws help/hurt different groups. Then critical race theory co-opted this concept and applied directly to race. The problem with it, is its not different than any other stereotyping... looking at everything through a racial lens... its an attempt to flip the hierarchy in a different direction. This is not a solution, it will just make new winners and new victims.
So the solution is to keep the hierarchy system where white people are predominantly on top, where they can continue to apply systemic racism and just be happy with the current subset of victims?

By the way, the bolded sounds a lot like Replacement Theory.

My guess is that Carter actually got help along the way because he was black because theres a lot of good people out there. im sure he also was subject to racism... the point is, each person has their own journey, to assume anything about it based on his skin color is speculation.

So you're sure he was subjected to racism, but assuming anything is race-based is speculation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad