GDT: 2022-23 season game 35 LA Kings vs Anaheim Ducks @7:30pm 12/20/22

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
I don’t think your father would pass up on you with How much you’ve dedicated yourself to defending his name on HF 🤣
Would that make him the Toddfather?
If we trade Roy, you need a LHD equivalent IMO.

I also think Roy has more trade value on the market then most people realize.

You could try taking Anderson off the top pair to help stabilize the second pair.

Bjornfot - Doughty
Anderson - Spence
Physical Shutdown Dman - Clarke
Teams like Van, Buffalo, Ottawa, CBJ, are specifically looking for a shutdown Rd to pair with their fancy LD's. TO & WPG probably in the market for a RD as well.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
This jersey gonna look good with 'A' on the shoulder in the future. :cool:

Mikey-Anderson-Kings-768x511.jpg
A for asshole since our “rivals” don’t like him

Reactions: psych3man

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
He definitely hasn't been galloping around lately the way he was the first ~20 games or so.
I wonder if GV problems are mental.. he doesnt seem to be wired the way say Fiala or Moore are - where they bring it every game.. He's more of a Kempe personality.. but he was like Jekyl/Hyde from camp til recently.. totally motivated, smiling, lots of energy.. now he seems in a deep rut getting schooled on the bench with a whiteboard, 4th line duties... not sure what is going on - if some of this is physical from his back or what.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I wonder if GV problems are mental.. he doesnt seem to be wired the way say Fiala or Moore are - where they bring it every game.. He's more of a Kempe personality.. but he was like Jekyl/Hyde from camp til recently.. totally motivated, smiling, lots of energy.. now he seems in a deep rut getting schooled on the bench with a whiteboard, 4th line duties... not sure what is going on - if some of this is physical from his back or what.

He's still getting a lot of chances and making a lot of plays, they just aren't going in. I'll worry more when he stops taking the puck to the net, he's still doing that with regularity.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I think Gabe is going through what Dough Weight went through in edmonton. Consistency issues of a young player breaking into the league.

Happens alot, and hope the kings leave him in the lineup to help him figure it out.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
He also was running an insanely high shooting percentage of 25% at the point he got his 10th goal. To my knowledge, no forward has sustained that high of a shooting percentage over the course of an entire season while playing regularly. Things were bound to regress to the mean.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I also wouldn't be surprised if this is conditioning with Gabe

He might already have played more NHL games than any other season he's ever played in his hockey career. If not, it's close, approaching it. I figured an 82 game season's goal would just be to start with 20-20 and stay healthy.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
He also was running an insanely high shooting percentage of 25% at the point he got his 10th goal. To my knowledge, no forward has sustained that high of a shooting percentage over the course of an entire season while playing regularly. Things were bound to regress to the mean.
Yeah, but he sure doesn't look anywhere near as noticeable out there or dangerous.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
He's still getting a lot of chances and making a lot of plays, they just aren't going in. I'll worry more when he stops taking the puck to the net, he's still doing that with regularity.
Just dont think he should fall to the 4th line... I get the feeling there is not good simpatico with him and Koala

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yeah, but he sure doesn't look anywhere near as noticeable out there or dangerous.

Playing with Kupari and JAD in ~14 minutes vs. playing with Iafallo/Byfield or Kopitar/Kempe 17-18 minutes will do that to a guy.

No at you, this is rhetorical--I don't know why we expect guys to hardcarry scrubs to production and then act surprised pikachu when they don't, this has been going on since Byfield at the beginning of last year.

Reactions: Vino

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Playing with Kupari and JAD in ~14 minutes vs. playing with Iafallo/Byfield or Kopitar/Kempe 17-18 minutes will do that to a guy.

No at you, this is rhetorical--I don't know why we expect guys to hardcarry scrubs to production and then act surprised pikachu when they don't, this has been going on since Byfield at the beginning of last year.
Let's not forget that Trevor Moore's production was garbage in the bottom six last season. It wasn't until he was given a real extended shot on Phil's line that he started putting up good numbers.

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
I was thinking this as well when watching the Ducks game. Kupari seems like a hard player to play with for some reason.

Reactions: Vino

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com

He was doing just fine on the 3rd line, then got moved up to the 1st line and I think all of us were concerned about that... Koala for sure has not a clue re development, giving guys opportunities to succeed...e.g. GV never got a look in OT nor did Byfield.

I was thinking this as well when watching the Ducks game. Kupari seems like a hard player to play with for some reason.
I noticed that too...he's not a good cycler, doesnt have a feel of when to make a pass too often.. reminds me of Kempe.. size, speed, good elusiveness..but play making is minimal

Reactions: Vino and Eagle Fang

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I agree on the mindset piece, but with as many bodies as we have up front I don’t think he’d be in the lineup if it were related to his back injuries. I think it’s partially mental and partially the conditioning rigors of an 82-game season. A young player who’s right on the cusp of skating being a weakness makes it even more magnified as he needs to be on and in the groove to not have the skating be an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: AbsentMojo

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
I noticed that too...he's not a good cycler, doesnt have a feel of when to make a pass too often.. reminds me of Kempe.. size, speed, good elusiveness..but play making is minimal
Exactly. Seems like the classic 'no toolbox' player. It's unfortunate because he has a lot of the tools.

Reactions: Vino and AbsentMojo

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels

That 3rd line of Iafallo - Byfield - Vilardi was going to be a fun one... RIP.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

It's why I have a lot of disgust for "kids lines" in general. The kids are trying to figure out how to make their game fit into the NHL and already learning a lot ON the go. Give them quality vets to work with so they have a bit of the pressure reduced.

We literally saw it with Kaliyev and Arvidsson last night on Lizotte's line.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
He's in a tough spot....he was doing so well....cooled off......then gets 4th line duty.....you can see the talent, but I don't agree with putting him on the 4th line....once...ok....but more than that....not sure what TM is trying to tell him, unless he's still punishing him for that errant pass in the Seattle game.....

TM didn't help his cause much when he put him with Kempe at center for 5 games. Both guys suffered. He's been so close, by my count he's hit 5 posts and had one tip just go over the net. He's still shooting , which is good. He needs to go back to the 3rd line once Byfield returns.

JTeller97

Dec 25, 2020
I think Gabe is going through what Dough Weight went through in edmonton. Consistency issues of a young player breaking into the league.

Happens alot, and hope the kings leave him in the lineup to help him figure it out.
I think the main problem is that our bottom 6 is a complete mish mosh. With respect to Lizotte and Kupari neither of those are the caliber of center that GV should be tied with. Once QB comes back I'd really like to see us go with

Kempe-Kopi-Iafallo (I know it's not the ideal first line but at least we know it works)
Moore-Danault-Arvy
Fiala-Byfield-Vilardi
Kaliyev-Lizottte-XXX

The problem is that Kaliyev has far outgrown playing on that 4th line but he really hasn't shown much chemistry with anyone in the top 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad