GDT: 2022-23 Season Game 30 LA Kings vs Montreal Candians @4:00pm 12/10/22

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
After today:

Caufeild = 16 goals

Turcotte = 0 goals

Maybe he’s up to 4 in that draft class now?
After today:

Caufeild = 16 goals

Turcotte = 0 goals

Maybe he’s up to 4 in that draft class now?
What does that have to do with what actually happened at the 2019 draft? You keep talking as if Caufield was an obvious top 5 pick…except you ignore the part where half the first round happened before he was actually drafted. You are creating a fictional world in your head to get mad at.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
So he WAS in the Top 5 eh? LOL
If that's your takeaway, then have fun.

Point is that Craig Button alone had him top-5. Plenty of other independent scouting services had him in the teens. As opposed to Kopitar, who was almost exclusively in the top 5 (and if I recall correctly, the undisputed top European player). If my old brain recalls correctly, the LOWEST anyone had Kopitar ranked was 8th overall.

Comparing Caufield to Kopitar was faulty for many reasons. And it also ignores why teams ranked Caufield low. Size was absolutely a factor. But he was a one-dimensional winger who was benefiting from playing alongside Jack Hughes most of the time. His talent is unquestioned, but there were legitimate reasons he fell.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
If that's your takeaway, then have fun.

Point is that Craig Button alone had him top-5. Plenty of other independent scouting services had him in the teens. As opposed to Kopitar, who was almost exclusively in the top 5 (and if I recall correctly, the undisputed top European player). If my old brain recalls correctly, the LOWEST anyone had Kopitar ranked was 8th overall.

Comparing Caufield to Kopitar was faulty for many reasons. And it also ignores why teams ranked Caufield low. Size was absolutely a factor. But he was a one-dimensional winger who was benefiting from playing alongside Jack Hughes most of the time. His talent is unquestioned, but there were legitimate reasons he fell.

This guy gets it. He was listed at 5-6, maybe 135 before he started college.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Point is that Craig Button alone had him top-5. Plenty of other independent scouting services had him in the teens.

Button had him at 4, Pronman had him at 5, Cohen had him at 6, and Peters had him at 6. His lowest ranking was McKeens at 13, but otherwise he was fairly consistently ranked top 10 prior to the draft. Here is a link showing a collection of draft rankings, there are some interesting rankings on there, especially how low Seider was leading up to the draft, gotta respect Stevie Y trusting his scouts over the independent rankings.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Button had him at 4, Pronman had him at 5, Cohen had him at 6, and Peters had him at 6. His lowest ranking was McKeens at 13, but otherwise he was fairly consistently ranked top 10 prior to the draft. Here is a link showing a collection of draft rankings, there are some interesting rankings on there, especially how low Seider was leading up to the draft, gotta respect Stevie Y trusting his scouts over the independent rankings.
Ah, I forgot the Pronman ranking. But of that list, I see:

On average, he was ranked 9th. So if "teens" is wrong, plenty ranked him outside the top-10.

I just remember Button fawning over him because he'd call him "Goal" Caufield and he played the same joke a couple years later with "Goal" Perfetti.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
We look at this matchup on the schedule, and think it's a game we should win, but really we're not any better than Montreal.
But really….we kinda are that much better. Stats are fun, and a great way to put the suicidal Kings fans that much closer to the edge…but yah, if you watched the game it was clear that one team was definitely a better team.

Hats off to old-man, stealing our cap space Kopitar, hats off to old-man Edler….and hats off to the baby-eating, devil worshipping, Todd Mclellan. Whatever tweaks he did from last game (with the same roster, lol) seemed to work! That’s why he’s a head coach and you're not! LETS GOOO.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

If anyone's taking Button's advice on how to draft or make up a team, they have issues. :laugh:

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
But really….we kinda are that much better. Stats are fun, and a great way to put the suicidal Kings fans that much closer to the edge…but yah, if you watched the game it was clear that one team was definitely a better team.

Hats off to old-man, stealing our cap space Kopitar, hats off to old-man Edler….and hats off to the baby-eating, devil worshipping, Todd Mclellan. Whatever tweaks he did from last game (with the same roster, lol) seemed to work! That’s why he’s a head coach and you're not! LETS GOOO.
I see the "beat another bottom feeder and pretend we're a well oiled machine working at full capacity" fallacy working again, are you gonna plan the parade when we beat Columbus too?

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I see the "beat another bottom feeder and pretend we're a well oiled machine working at full capacity" fallacy working again, are you gonna plan the parade when we beat Columbus too?
Nope, and I also won’t be burning my jersey when Boston thumps us next week.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Guess we can bring this one back for a night

1670748098249.png

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Good game, a bit sloppy with the puck......

But a win is a w....oh wait...it's not...shit sorry, we lost last night right? From all the bitching in the room anyone who didn't know any better would swear we got curbstomped last night.....

Reactions: Lt Dan

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
BTW.....I must have missed it, when did Kaliyev get bumped off the 1st line? I mean it must have happened, we had a multitude of posters on this very board say it was going to happen every game since he got on the 1st line.....

Oh shit....they were wrong about that too?

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Good game, a bit sloppy with the puck......

But a win is a w....oh wait...it's not...shit sorry, we lost last night right? From all the bitching in the room anyone who didn't know any better would swear we got curbstomped last night.....
Correct, the 'W' doesn't count because it's against Montreal. Keep up, please.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Again,

1670774782338.png

The last time they beat a team that was in playoff position was almost a full month ago in Edmonton. Before that, it was October.

The dub counts, the games are mostly ugly but results matter, their last 6 games include 3 games vs. playoff teams in which they lost allowing 18 goals--6 per game--and 3 wins vs. teams with point paces of 65, 72, 85 and they did their best to let those teams back in.

A lot of us have been saying for over a year it's sometimes not about the literal L vs. W but about overall trends and it's the same trends as last year amplified. That's the worry.

This team need to take a step forward. I think you and I will both agree that it's a very talented, if flawed, team, and they're far from fulfilling their potential due to nightly self inflicted shotgun blasts. If they can iron that out, they've shown glimpses of being an absolute juggernaut. That's what's frustrating; I wan't to believe they don't suck/aren't a playoff team, but after enough time, you are exactly who the standings say you are. I believe they've gone as far as TM can take them. I'm even coming around on this is as far as Blake can take them. Clearly you disagree and that's ok. But it's not unreasonable to ask them to not look completely out of their league vs. contenders.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Again,

View attachment 619908

The last time they beat a team that was in playoff position was almost a full month ago in Edmonton. Before that, it was October.

The dub counts, the games are mostly ugly but results matter, their last 6 games include 3 games vs. playoff teams in which they lost allowing 18 goals--6 per game--and 3 wins vs. teams with point paces of 65, 72, 85 and they did their best to let those teams back in.

A lot of us have been saying for over a year it's sometimes not about the literal L vs. W but about overall trends and it's the same trends as last year amplified. That's the worry.

This team need to take a step forward. I think you and I will both agree that it's a very talented, if flawed, team, and they're far from fulfilling their potential due to nightly self inflicted shotgun blasts. If they can iron that out, they've shown glimpses of being an absolute juggernaut. That's what's frustrating; I wan't to believe they don't suck/aren't a playoff team, but after enough time, you are exactly who the standings say you are. I believe they've gone as far as TM can take them. I'm even coming around on this is as far as Blake can take them. Clearly you disagree and that's ok. But it's not unreasonable to ask them to not look completely out of their league vs. contenders.
That’s like the 3rd time you e posted that pic, maybe more. Why don’t you just create a separate thread with that pic and pin it so everyone will see and be blown away with your photoshop skills? Can you do others like Todd as a koala bear or something like that?

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Please. You’re just as bad. One win doesn’t erase the issues that clearly exist any more than one loss erases the good stuff that’s occurred, particularly last season.

There’s legitimate issues but also legitimate reason to have optimism. The issues are fixable but without doubt some of the decisions roster wise don’t have obvious rational. If you can’t at least see why people are concerned you’re just a blinkered as the perpetual doom merchants.

I’m usually very positive and optimistic and have given Blake/TMac plenty of rope and frequently the benefit of the doubt. However this is easily the most concerned I’ve been in Blake’s tenure. One result either way does not sway me.

I’m sure you do actually see it.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Sometimes, complicated family situations cause children to lash out irrationally at others, and I’m beginning to see the picture more clearly.

Having a Duncle Todd has to be a hell of a load on the ole nervous system.

Probably best to ignore the irrationality and let it fade away.

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
Good game and good solid win....Apart from the softy in the 3rd, Copley makes the stop an NHL goalie should make. Copley getting Ws for just doing his job and making the routine saves- speaks volumes about other goalies this season sad to say.

That said....Last 9 Kings win came against teams with an avg win % of .387. Last 10 Losses came against teams with .569 win %. Kings good enough to beat the bottom half of the league and not good enough to beat the top half. Think now how many winnable games this season went down as losses.

Hope the team can magically trend upward but with 30 games played this season with a mostly healthy roster- what you see is what you get and what you will get with status quo.

Bright side- Byfield full beast mode in the AHL, Spence should be on Kings roster now. Walker just not a top 4 dman....maybe not even bottom pairing on a good team. I simply disagree that the idea of bjornfot being healthy scratched in favor of this d lineup, and playing Durzi on his offside is to prove to be a consistent winner this season. And given the ages of the D Corp, Edler 36, Walker 28, Roy 27, Durzi 24- you arent going to get any better play out of any of these players- their growth, with Durzi being exception at 24.

Walker never going to get better and has yet to finish an NHL season as a + player.

There’s legitimate issues but also legitimate reason to have optimism. The issues are fixable but without doubt some of the decisions roster wise don’t have obvious rational. If you can’t at least see why people are concerned you’re just a blinkered as the perpetual doom merchants.

I’m usually very positive and optimistic and have given Blake/TMac plenty of rope and frequently the benefit of the doubt. However this is easily the most concerned I’ve been in Blake’s tenure. One result either way does not sway me.

I’m sure you do actually see it.

Solid take- Kings have upgrades at the finger tips roster wise they can and should employ. Question is- at some point will they? As for coaching- my criticisms need not be repeated but Tmac has shown to be inflexible and stubborn and his decisions have cost us winnable games. Given his coaching history, also need not be repeated, it would be a fools errand to expect a different result.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad