GDT: 2022-23 Season Game 30 LA Kings vs Montreal Candians @4:00pm 12/10/22

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Yeah, there is a gap between the Kings and the best of the league. It's easy to see. But it matters less whether a team is a playoff team when you play them. It matters more how that team is playing at the time. Just look at the two Leaf games which were completely different. Or how the Kings completely controlled the Lightning.

I don't look at the records as opponents going into games for this reason, I look more at last 10. Montreal and Ottawa have not been playing poorly, so don't discount those wins. Small wonder they got smoked by a Leafs team that hasn't lost in regulation in their last 10 and won 8 of them.

Gaps between top and bottom teams are really small. Colorado wins the cup, loses a key piece and starts struggling, they have a lower points % than the Kings. Then they lose another key guy, and now Manson and Byram. I'd want to play them 5 straight right now, cup champs or not.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
But really….we kinda are that much better. Stats are fun, and a great way to put the suicidal Kings fans that much closer to the edge…but yah, if you watched the game it was clear that one team was definitely a better team.
They have similar win-loss records. And Montreal plays in a much tougher division.

The Kings might be the better team, but this is the NHL, you can't base it off one game. The larger sample shows both teams are fairly similar thus far. That could change after 82 games of course.

LA beat Toronto earlier this year, that doesn't make them the better team.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I’m usually very positive and optimistic and have given Blake/TMac plenty of rope and frequently the benefit of the doubt. However this is easily the most concerned I’ve been in Blake’s tenure. One result either way does not sway me.

I’m sure you do actually see it.
I do understand the concern....however, we have 52 more games to play in the season before the story is completed. If the Kings had beaten all the 'legitimate' teams thus far, they'd be like undefeated...and we'd have the best team in the league. Is that reality?

The exact concerns we all had coming into the season are exactly the reason why this team is where they are...and I don't think anyone thought Petersen would be this bad (he's cost us at least 6 points alone). Now that our backup goaltender is actually playing like a back up should, maybe we trend upwards. Can we at least appreciate the offense?

Blake isn't going anywhere unless this team misses the playoffs -- and if he gets to the point that he's firing TM, that's basically throwing in the white towel -- we are no where close to that at this point.

People need to back off the panic button (but they won't) -- me, I'm gonna sit back and enjoy the games as much as possible -- wins make me happy.

They have similar win-loss records. And Montreal plays in a much tougher division.

The Kings might be the better team, but this is the NHL, you can't base it off one game. The larger sample shows both teams are fairly similar thus far. That could change after 82 games of course.

LA beat Toronto earlier this year, that doesn't make them the better team.
So then tell me what the narrative would have been on this board had the Kings lost the game last night....

lol, c'mon man

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
So then tell me what the narrative would have been on this board had the Kings lost the game last night....

lol, c'mon man
What does that have to do with my point? I wasn't commenting on fan reaction.

Both teams have similar records regardless of the outcome of last night's game.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yeah, there is a gap between the Kings and the best of the league. It's easy to see. But it matters less whether a team is a playoff team when you play them. It matters more how that team is playing at the time. Just look at the two Leaf games which were completely different. Or how the Kings completely controlled the Lightning.

I don't look at the records as opponents going into games for this reason, I look more at last 10. Montreal and Ottawa have not been playing poorly, so don't discount those wins. Small wonder they got smoked by a Leafs team that hasn't lost in regulation in their last 10 and won 8 of them.

Gaps between top and bottom teams are really small. Colorado wins the cup, loses a key piece and starts struggling, they have a lower points % than the Kings. Then they lose another key guy, and now Manson and Byram. I'd want to play them 5 straight right now, cup champs or not.

I dont disagree, overall--but the question is when are the Kings that team that is firing on all cylinders and people should be terrified to play them?

Getting absolutely obliterated by contenders and eeking out narrow wins vs. 70 point teams isn't showing progress imo. The blowouts are worse this year.

What does that have to do with my point?

Might as well copy and paste this response, honestly. But you might wear down your ctrl, x, and v keys.

Reactions: tny760 and johnjm22

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
What does that have to do with my point? I wasn't commenting on fan reaction.

Both teams have similar records regardless of the outcome of last night's game.
the point is this, the Kings win and we say 'oh, it doesn't mean much as they have very similar records'...but if the Kings had lost, it would have been 'HOLY SHIT, the Kings lost to the cellar dweller Canadians!' That's kinda the point....

Might as well copy and paste this response, honestly. But you might wear down your ctrl, x, and v keys.
Good one, RJ.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I dont disagree, overall--but the question is when are the Kings that team that is firing on all cylinders and people should be terrified to play them?

Getting absolutely obliterated by contenders and eeking out narrow wins vs. 70 point teams isn't showing progress imo. The blowouts are worse this year.

Kings are just a shitty inconsistent team with good offense every now and then. I think anyone who is proud of this team and sees no issue with the coaching is just disingenuous

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

The answer to this is "When they fix the defense".

Offensively this team is formidable. Some of that is forwards taking risks but the backchecking isn't terrible. Most of the problems arise with not being able to get the puck out when there is an opportunity to. We don't need offense from the blue line like in the past, just methodical smart play is needed. The problem is guys who play this style are Roy who has digressed and Edler who hasn't been the same since the injury. Durzi is chaos out there which causes problems for the opposition but it's not really needed - we need him to not turn the damn puck over and get it out. Walker hasn't been the same since he got hurt either.

I don't think bringing up Spence and playing him with Bjornfort will solve every problem, but even with the growing pains, it's not going to be any worse. But mostly, a trade for that elusive big LHD is absolutely necessary.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The answer to this is "When they fix the defense".

Offensively this team is formidable. Some of that is forwards taking risks but the backchecking isn't terrible. Most of the problems arise with not being able to get the puck out when there is an opportunity to. We don't need offense from the blue line like in the past, just methodical smart play is needed. The problem is guys who play this style are Roy who has digressed and Edler who hasn't been the same since the injury. Durzi is chaos out there which causes problems for the opposition but it's not really needed - we need him to not turn the damn puck over and get it out. Walker hasn't been the same since he got hurt either.

I don't think bringing up Spence and playing him with Bjornfort will solve every problem, but even with the growing pains, it's not going to be any worse. But mostly, a trade for that elusive big LHD is absolutely necessary.

I agree. I guess it was a rhetorical question. We all see it.

Blake and Co, on the surface, are more scared of upsetting veterans and possible growing pains than veteran struggles.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00