Prospect Info: 2022-23 Oilers Prospects Thread

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Shane Lachance has seen himself go from the 2nd to 3rd to 4th line over the course of the past couple weeks, but he remains a constant on the top unit PP and scores a big goal in the 2nd of back-to-back Battles of Comm Ave (Boston University vs. Boston College). We go into the 1st intermission with the Terrier trailing 2-1.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
TSN jumping on Celebrini coverage and has had the Terriers on the tube lately.

Shane Lachance gets a tip in front of the net and Greene buries the rebound to send the game to OT. Lachance had a good chance off the rush on the PP about a minute earlier but couldn't get the forehand to backhand shot off coming across the net, goalie was beat.

EDIT: Scorekeeper isn't giving him the tip.

Last edited:

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Shane Lachance actually records a point here, another PPG. This tally ties him with his grandfather for goals in their freshman campaigns.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Luca Munzeberger continues to keep his head above water on a mediocre U Vermont team. Big shutdown minutes and PK guy he's +7 on a 9th place Hockey East Team with -12 goalshare. Recently bombed 5-2 by top BU, Vermont actually killed 4 of 5 PP's, and the Munz came out at even. Bombed in the other game against BU 5-1, Vermont gave up 3 PP goals on 8 attempts, Munzenberger again came out at even.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Luca Munzeberger continues to keep his head above water on a mediocre U Vermont team. Big shutdown minutes and PK guy he's +7 on a 9th place Hockey East Team with -12 goalshare. Recently bombed 5-2 by top BU, Vermont actually killed 4 of 5 PP's, and the Munz came out at even. Bombed in the other game against BU 5-1, Vermont gave up 3 PP goals on 8 attempts, Munzenberger again came out at even.

It’s going to be really interesting to see how Munzenberger progresses when he turns pro. He’s in a really poor spot to be using stats to judge his progression, especially this year where Vermont added a 5th year transfer dman who’s leading their team in scoring. But he’s a guy who looked really good every time I saw him play internationally for Germany. His play style and age could lead perfectly to be a replacement for Ekholm down the line(assuming Ek is extended for 2/3 years after his current deal ends), obviously that is extremely lofty goals for him but I could definitely see him showing well when he eventually ends up in Bakersfield.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
It’s going to be really interesting to see how Munzenberger progresses when he turns pro. He’s in a really poor spot to be using stats to judge his progression, especially this year where Vermont added a 5th year transfer dman who’s leading their team in scoring. But he’s a guy who looked really good every time I saw him play internationally for Germany. His play style and age could lead perfectly to be a replacement for Ekholm down the line(assuming Ek is extended for 2/3 years after his current deal ends), obviously that is extremely lofty goals for him but I could definitely see him showing well when he eventually ends up in Bakersfield.
He's been a national level junior which is positive pedigree.

I'd urge extreme caution about projecting an Ekholm replacement who is an elite two way NHL defenseman. The jump to pro hockey is considered to be the biggest jump for players. There's some hope Munzenberger might have NHL third pairing projection but his game is limited without any scoring potential. Vermont is a very low scoring, rebuild program but you'd like to see a bit more finishing. Still he's a good size, shutdown defender with decent wheels and some inclination to play in hard areas.

Munzenberger was a draft riser when the Oilers reached to take him. Getting into a pro development environment is very important instead of spinning his wheels with a mediocre college team. A year old here's a reasonable scouting report from an ex NHL amateur scout: Scout's Analysis: Checking in on Oilers, Flames prospects playing in NCAA and Europe

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He projects to be absolutely nothing like Ekholm. Ekholm has always had a bit of offence to his game. Munzenburger has absolutely none of that. Projecting a top 3 defender out of a guy that is trending to be a 6/7 AHL guy right now is, insane not even lofty. Maybe with a Desharnais trajectory, but as a bottom pairing guy.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
He's been a national level junior which is positive pedigree.

I'd urge extreme caution about projecting an Ekholm replacement who is an elite two way NHL defenseman. The jump to pro hockey is considered to be the biggest jump for players. There's some hope Munzenberger might have NHL third pairing projection but his game is limited without any scoring potential. Vermont is a very low scoring, rebuild program but you'd like to see a bit more finishing. Still he's a good size, shutdown defender with decent wheels and some inclination to play in hard areas.

Munzenberger was a draft riser when the Oilers reached to take him. Getting into a pro development environment is very important instead of spinning his wheels with a mediocre college team. A year old here's a reasonable scouting report from an ex NHL amateur scout: Scout's Analysis: Checking in on Oilers, Flames prospects playing in NCAA and Europe
He projects to be absolutely nothing like Ekholm. Ekholm has always had a bit of offence to his game. Munzenburger has absolutely none of that. Projecting a top 3 defender out of a guy that is trending to be a 6/7 AHL guy right now is, insane not even lofty. Maybe with a Desharnais trajectory, but as a bottom pairing guy.
It’s a personal opinion I’ve had since first watching Munzenberger that his instincts and skill set could lead to more offensive production. He’s a guy who’s had a really bizarre development path between having some shortened years with Covid seasons plus playing for one of the lowest scoring teams in the NCAA so his development has been stunted to a degree. It’s hard to put up any kind of offensive numbers when he’s got one forward above 0.5ppg on his entire team. I should’ve been more descriptive with the Ekholm comment, I mean that moreso in the sense of being a defensively responsible guy who would let a Bouchard/Akey do their thing offensively without having to worry. It’s obviously more likely than not that you guys are right and he’ll be lucky to get much of a crack in the NHL at all but I’ve just always had him as a bit of a sleeper prospect in the pool.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It’s a personal opinion I’ve had since first watching Munzenberger that his instincts and skill set could lead to more offensive production. He’s a guy who’s had a really bizarre development path between having some shortened years with Covid seasons plus playing for one of the lowest scoring teams in the NCAA so his development has been stunted to a degree. It’s hard to put up any kind of offensive numbers when he’s got one forward above 0.5ppg on his entire team. I should’ve been more descriptive with the Ekholm comment, I mean that moreso in the sense of being a defensively responsible guy who would let a Bouchard/Akey do their thing offensively without having to worry. It’s obviously more likely than not that you guys are right and he’ll be lucky to get much of a crack in the NHL at all but I’ve just always had him as a bit of a sleeper prospect in the pool.
I guess fair.
I have had him as our worst prospect since he was drafted honestly. I see nothing in his game that looks like even NHL potential.
But we can agree to disagree.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Appreciate your pov. To me, he's the kind of player who probably would have benefited more from playing junior with its style of play and high # of games versus college.

Being in a poor, rebuild program is a double edge sword in that it should open doors of opportunity for time on ice and situational play but the struggle of being overwhelmed most nights in the light college schedule. If his offensive instincts were there, one would think he would be given more opportunity to at least get some secondary PP minutes. But do agree, this program has had no offensive players at all.

There's good raw putty to work with. Onboarding him in Bako will be a first step.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
The Beanpot finals featuring Boston University vs. North Eastern goes tomorrow (Monday) at 5:30PM on TSN3 & 5. Take in a viewing of Shane Lachance and even top prospect Macklin Celebrini.

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
The Beanpot finals featuring Boston University vs. North Eastern goes tomorrow (Monday) at 5:30PM on TSN3 & 5. Take in a viewing of Shane Lachance and even top prospect Macklin Celebrini.
You mean the guy I did a lot of research on a few months ago when I thought the Oilers were going to be in the lottery again? #relief

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Brady Stonehouse is a chippy player to say the least. Has some tools but needs a little refining. From what I saw tonight he's not on the 67s first wave of attack.

Henry Mews is a player looking at this year's draft eligibles. Excellent skater, has a great shot and plays with a physical edge. We won't have a pick in that range, but he's an example of the quality still available in the mid-to-late 1st round.

If Detroit decides not to sign Tnias Mathurin after this season, he's a definite must sign in my books. A plus size LD with great play anticipation and a good defensive stick. He's missed a ton of time due to injury, but he looks like he's back to his level of play pre-draft. Worth keeping an eye on heading into the OHL playoffs.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Ryan Fanti is quietly having a solid return to action after missing the first half of the season with injury, 2.36 GAA and .916Sv% in 5 games in the ECHL. Hopefully he can continue the strong play and move up to Bakersfield next season.

I agree with you. Oilers scouts should take a look at Brett Brochu who is playing with Fanti in Fort Wayne. He's only on a echl contract. Build up some goalie depth for once.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I agree with you. Oilers scouts should take a look at Brett Brochu who is playing with Fanti in Fort Wayne. He's only on a echl contract. Build up some goalie depth for once.
I was kind of surprised some team didn’t take a flyer on him after he was OHL Goalie of the Year in his Draft +1 season. Unfortunately for him being 6’ and 180lbs he’ll always be looked over to a certain degree. Would definitely be a guy worth getting on an AHL deal next year though, see if he can work his way up and show well in Bakersfield.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00