Rumor: 2022-2023 Trade Rumors and Free Agency (Mod Warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Wiggin

Feb 8, 2020
As many have said it is unlikely they sit on the cap they have left, I am to the point where Kadri seems like a bad idea even as an essentially free asset from FA. Weaponizing the small amount of cap space we have to give another team relief means there are probably some better hockey trade options available than usual because of the cap crunch (similar to the Toews situation). We have a good mix of players that could be used in that type of trade that aren't critical to the success of the team but are still valuable. If we can't find that hockey trade I would love to see Newhook get the first chance over Compher. It seems like a win win situation, he breaks out and becomes part of the plan going forward or they choose to sign Toews instead and he becomes a even more valuable trade chip.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
As many have said it is unlikely they sit on the cap they have left
They can bank cap space for the deadline and honestly they need most (if not all) that money left for Byram and Newhook bonuses at the end of the season.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
A minor scenario I'd like to see happen that I think will pay dividends.

Trade Kaut + small add if necessary for Jusso Valimaki. He's a player that would do well in our system and is kind of like a LH Conor Timmins stylistically. He works out to be the Ryan Murray replacement on the blueline (makes even more sens if we move Girard)

Sign E. Svechnikov to compete with Sedlak et al for a 4th line role. Can happen with or without a Kaut trade but that at least opens up a contract/roster spot for him.

Not sure #1 happens because of Hunt, and it's hard to see us spending 1.5M in cap on who figures to be the #7D as things stand right now. We are more likely to get a physical JJ replacement, especially if someone like EJ is moved instead of G (i.e. Holl). But I do think both of these guys are good buy-low targets this offseason.
There’s just no room for him which would be the problem in acquiring him. He potentially could be a good addition but he’d be our 4th lest LD and our best prospect is a LD.

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
Still think Kadri signs with a team that is not the Avs. I think Klingberg ultimately surprises and signs a multiyear deal with Seattle. Their additions of Burkavosky and taking advantage of Columbus' cap situation and getting Oliver Bjorkstrand for a 3rd and a 4th should really help their offense. Adding a Top 4 defender and (hopefully) getting a bounce back season from Grubauer could, at the very least, get them out of the basement and maybe even to the bubble given the general weakness of the Pacific division.

Reactions: Chiarelli

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I think we are done with the depth signings. Maybe JJ on a cheap one year deal.

Lehkonen- Mackinnon- Nichushkin
Landeskog- Compher- Rantanen
Newhook- Meyers- O'Connor
Cogliano- Helm- Megna
Sedlak

Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson
Girard - EJ
MacDermid

Georgiev
Francouz

D- Hunt - 2 way
D- McDonald - 2 way
D- Middleton - 2 way
LW- Hudon - 2 way
C- Maltsev - 2 way
G- Johansson - 2 way
G- Annunen - 2 way

Prospects

W- Olousson
D- Behrens
That's why I think you're wrong. Avs are going for the Cup and not going to have these guys penciled in to start the season. I do think Kaut/Maltsev get looked at for a starting role, and I do think Sedlak will surprise people here, but if last season showed us anything it's that the Avs really value their depth. Of course we are likely to add another higher end F in the mold of a 2C, but that could force a guy like JTC off the roster. All this being said, I think we still have room for 1 more spot up front.

On D, if we are to get a F upgrade one of G or EJ is also likely gone, and finishing last year we had JJ and Murray as the 7 & 8D. We've got Hunt, but if we lose another guy we have room there too.

Andrew Wiggin

Feb 8, 2020
They can bank cap space for the deadline and honestly they need most (if not all) that money left for Byram and Newhook bonuses at the end of the season.
Very true, though the deadline won't bear the same kind of fruit because teams in a bad spot will have to find a dance partner or ltir before the season starts.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
If tanking teams with cap space are looking for a 1st just to answer the phone, maybe the Avs should do the same and take a first for some other teams version of JTC (or better yet an EJ at 3-3.5)? Then they can take the lesser first and trade it for cap space?

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Yep exactly this. The money they were looking for teams don't have and or the teams interested don't want to make the moves necessary to make it fit. This BS narrative of trades take time and maybe something is already lined up crap needs to stop. If the teams interested in Kadri really wanted him at his current ask a corresponding cap compliance trade would have happened by now to make it happen by one of the interested teams.

Kadri and his agent really dropped the ball and overplayed their hand. Feel kind if bad that Kadri couldn't cash in on his big season. Now he's looking at even having to potentially sign a 1 yr prove it deal and having to bet on himself again. As there aren't many teams that can offer term and money left at this point. And even less options if Kadri wants to go somewhere where the team is competitive.
Would you have liked to play on a lot of the teams he possibly received offers from? I wouldn’t. You’re talking hypotheticals when we don’t know enough information.

Last edited:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Would you have liked to play on a lot of the teams he possibly received offers from? I wouldn’t. You’re talking hypotheticals when we don’t know enough information.
I don't have to make that choice.

But Kadri had to know that having the expectations of being on a competitive team, with a big money contract with long term, wasn't something most top tier teams could swing and was limiting his options.

Typically the teams that can make a big term, big money offer are lower tier that need some better players.

So it's pretty obvious that Kadri values winning over big time money on a weak team. Because if he just wanted money I suspect he would have signed with some odd ball lower end team by now on a some dumb contract.

Now he's hoping that one of better these teams comes in with a slightly higher offer than what's been presented so far.

Had their been an offer that Kadri liked on a team he wanted to go to, we wouldn't be having this conversation as he'd be on that team and that team would have made the necessary moves to get it done. Since they would have already known what needed be done and who would need to be moved to make it work cap wise.

But we are sitting in a stalemate. Kadri wants a better offer but the teams involved aren't budging. Hence radio silence and no real movement. As there really isn't anything going on. This deal doesn't feel any closer than it was day 1 of UFA and I suspect it draws out for quite a bit longer.

Reactions: 5280

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I’m still holding out hope for a surprise Bergeron signing
ezgif.com-gif-maker (39).gif

Reactions: SoundwaveIsCharisma
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad