Rumor: 2022-2023 Trade Rumors and Free Agency (Mod Warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
This board loved him on his draft year so people probably just remember his name.
I guess put me in the 'optimistic' he'll regain his form at some point - camp.

Just like EJ took a long frikkin' time to even look even close to 'right' after his golf cart accident (even then, he was never quite the same). Milan Hejduk had surgery that made him look like a shade of his former self for something like a year and a half.

So I'm not a doctor but I do play one on TV and since I didn't hear anything about his career being in jeopardy like Klefbom, I figured he'd make a full recovery at some point... maybe he won't but he's probably still worth more to the Avs than Kaut who they will lose for nothing to Arizona off waivers in September.

• Haha
Reactions: Frenchy

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
I think the answer as to why Bergeron is not signed is the same as most of the remaining guys that would actually command money, cap space. Boston does not have much free space. They need to move someone to make room for him.

Yes, teams can go 10% over, but then they really are over a barrel. especially when the guy is not going anywhere else, stay cap compliant and work on your side trade to clear space.

This same thing is likely what is holding up a Kadri signing. He must have 1-2 sure fire landing spots, but is waiting for a cap move. Both Colorado and the NYI could, as examples, easily clear enough cap space but they would be making moves like Columbus and selling something decent for nothing — or trying to move a bad contract for a big price. By holding the signing, they at least are under a bit less visual pressure and might get a better deal.

Reactions: Iceberg

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think the answer as to why Bergeron is not signed is the same as most of the remaining guys that would actually command money, cap space. Boston does not have much free space. They need to move someone to make room for him.

Yes, teams can go 10% over, but then they really are over a barrel. especially when the guy is not going anywhere else, stay cap compliant and work on your side trade to clear space.

This same thing is likely what is holding up a Kadri signing. He must have 1-2 sure fire landing spots, but is waiting for a cap move. Both Colorado and the NYI could, as examples, easily clear enough cap space but they would be making moves like Columbus and selling something decent for nothing — or trying to move a bad contract for a big price. By holding the signing, they at least are under a bit less visual pressure and might get a better deal.

True, the Bruins dont have enough cap space right now. They're supposedly bringing back both Krejci and Bergeron as well so no doubt they're trying to move a contract. They've got $4.7M in space right now but also still need to sign Zacha who will take up at least $3.5M of that space.

Unless they end up doing something with Bergeron that's like $1M in base salary and up to $4-5M in performance bonuses or something of that sort.

On another note... Quickly browsing through all teams in the league, I count like 10 different teams in the league that are almost certainly trying to make a trade to move salary right now.

You've got Boston(For Bergeron), Toronto(Sandin), San Jose(Feraro and 3 RFA forwards, with just $2.2M in space right now), Vegas(Roy and Hague, but also only a 16 man roster as is and already $1.4M over the cap), Florida($3.3M over the cap), Islanders(Trying to sign Kadri but also have RFAs Dobson and Romanov to sign), Philly(100k over the cap with RFA Tippett and MacEwan still to sign), potentially Dallas($11.4M in cap space but have Robertson and Oettinger to sign still), Edmonton(under 100k in cap space right now. They do have a bit of LTIR room, but also a couple fairly significant RFAs to sign in Yamamoto and Puljujarvi). Colorado if we're going to sign Kadri will need to free up space. Carolina only has 19 players on its roster right now, just $4M in cap sapce and have Necas and Bear as RFAs, they need space. Pittsburgh is currently 500k(Though they can just run a 22 man roster and be fine).

Its going to be fascinating to see how some of these teams make it work. Never mind the fact you've also still got a number of good UFAs still in limbo as well. Kadri, Klingberg, Rodrigues, Heinen, and Stastny the biggest ones.

I honestly cant really see more then like 5 teams right now that actually have the cap space for Kadri or Klingberg. And two of them are Buffalo and Arizona :laugh:

AvalancheSpeedsters

Aug 2, 2005
Kamloops, BC
Type of offer you send in video games hoping the computer is dumb enough to accept.
Some people really are too picky pff 😏

1658720232839.jpeg

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
True, the Bruins dont have enough cap space right now. They're supposedly bringing back both Krejci and Bergeron as well so no doubt they're trying to move a contract. They've got $4.7M in space right now but also still need to sign Zacha who will take up at least $3.5M of that space.

Unless they end up doing something with Bergeron that's like $1M in base salary and up to $4-5M in performance bonuses or something of that sort.

On another note... Quickly browsing through all teams in the league, I count like 10 different teams in the league that are almost certainly trying to make a trade to move salary right now.

You've got Boston(For Bergeron), Toronto(Sandin), San Jose(Feraro and 3 RFA forwards, with just $2.2M in space right now), Vegas(Roy and Hague, but also only a 16 man roster as is and already $1.4M over the cap), Florida($3.3M over the cap), Islanders(Trying to sign Kadri but also have RFAs Dobson and Romanov to sign), Philly(100k over the cap with RFA Tippett and MacEwan still to sign), potentially Dallas($11.4M in cap space but have Robertson and Oettinger to sign still), Edmonton(under 100k in cap space right now. They do have a bit of LTIR room, but also a couple fairly significant RFAs to sign in Yamamoto and Puljujarvi). Colorado if we're going to sign Kadri will need to free up space. Carolina only has 19 players on its roster right now, just $4M in cap sapce and have Necas and Bear as RFAs, they need space. Pittsburgh is currently 500k(Though they can just run a 22 man roster and be fine).

Its going to be fascinating to see how some of these teams make it work. Never mind the fact you've also still got a number of good UFAs still in limbo as well. Kadri, Klingberg, Rodrigues, Heinen, and Stastny the biggest ones.

I honestly cant really see more then like 5 teams right now that actually have the cap space for Kadri or Klingberg. And two of them are Buffalo and Arizona :laugh:
Also teams with cap space don't necessarily want to add more money.

Lots of GM's trying to unload contracts and little to no place to send them. That's why good players like Pacioretty and Bjorkstrand get traded for next to nothing.

Probably not a good time to trade Girard.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
That said maybe we can get a guy like Rodrigues for dirt cheap on a one year contract. Like when Hall waited too long and signed 1 year in Buffalo. Or Hoffman in STL.

Reactions: Chiarelli

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
That said maybe we can get a guy like Rodrigues for dirt cheap on a one year contract. Like when Hall waited too long and signed 1 year in Buffalo. Or Hoffman in STL.
At this point this might be our best option. Not sure Kadri is going to be worth it.

Not sure I love going into a Cup defense season relying on Compher/Newhook/Rodrigues as 2C options. But we are kind of in a predicament.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

What a crap offer. 😂

That article says the Canes were the other finalist and their offer included Necas.

Blues probably fell victim to New Jersey Devils syndrome where they figured Tkachuk wanted St. Louis and only St. Louis, so Calgary was going to have to accept whatever they offered.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

The only teams that HAVE to move out money is Vegas and Florida (and even then I think both teams have players that can start the season on LTIR), and I think this is what's holding up the market. The teams with cap space are going to milk every drop of incentive to take on cap. Once that happens, they'll probably lower the price a bit to deal with the less desperate teams (Islanders, Avs, Carolina, Edmonton), but I expect only 1-2 of these teams will be able to make a deal.

Once those trades happen, the rest of the free agents will either end up on a decent contract or end up signing a cheap contract. At the end if any rebuilding teams aren't able to fill the hole in other methods, they'll probably take on cap for a minimal cost (i.e. EJ to Anaheim).

San Jose have 12F/7D/2G counting against the cap. Ferraro will sign a bridge and the rest will get close to league minimum that can be sent down.

Toronto have 14F/7D/2G counting against the cap. Sandin has zero leverage and I doubt any team will offer sheet him, so he'll come in around $1 mil as well.

Islanders I don't think will actually be able to move out enough money to sign Kadri as they don't have any expiring contracts (maybe an outside chance Varly gets moved to Buffalo).

Philly is same as above - 11F/8D/2G with both getting close to league minimum.

I expect plenty of teams will be playing with the minimum roster size of 20 this season. Considering all the above, the way the Avs have structured their cap and even their AHL squad location is so damn impressive. It's going to be a huge boon that the AHL squad is so close and I can foresee us nabbing a decent player or two for cheap, simply because the Avs just won a cup and will be favorites to win another,, play a style that boosts player value, and will actually have a bit of space and opportunity.

Last edited:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Imagine having a roster like philly or SJ and being up against the cap ceiling lol
We had $909,731.00 in cap space in 16/17. Worked out spectacularly for us...in the long term, but man that was a rough season.

Now that I think about it. Patrick Roy leaving the Avalanche was the spark that lit the dumpster fire (16/17) that forged the metal (EJ, Gabe, Mack) by which our Championship was crafted. Cool, so now I can no longer hold it against him and go back to really liking him 100%.

Last edited:
Reactions: niwotsblessing

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
When you go on Capfriendly and the armchair GM option there are two different cap numbers for teams.

TB on armchair GM says they are only 300k over. Whats that about?

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
what do you think about trying Jonathan Dahlen this guy has a crazy talent. With us it could explode.

Oblivion Beckons

Jan 20, 2021
When you go on Capfriendly and the armchair GM option there are two different cap numbers for teams.

TB on armchair GM says they are only 300k over. Whats that about?
At the top of the edit your team page for armchair GM it says that LTIR players are not counted against the cap for simplification. Tampa have have Seabrook on LTIR so that is where the other $6.875 mil is from.

Reactions: JH21
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad