Rumor: 2022-2023 Trade Rumors and Free Agency (Mod Warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I’m a huge Byram fan and the sky is the limit (Niedermayer 2.0!) but the worst part of his game is probably on the PP. He just hasn’t looked comfortable, decisive, or really good at all.

I’d probably give him Toews’ spot on PP2 just to give him some rest since he’s also on the PK but that’s about it. Absolutely would not have him on PP1. No chance.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
I wouldn’t have Byram on PP1. He’s not good on the wall and Makar is way better at the point.

He needs to beat out Toews for the QB spot on PP2. I could see it happening eventually, but Toews is pretty good there in his own right.
Byram handles the puck so much better than either of those 2 though. When he gets comfortable I could see him on the top unit for sure, the way he takes it down low and see things as well.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I’m a huge Byram fan and the sky is the limit (Niedermayer 2.0!) but the worst part of his game is probably on the PP. He just hasn’t looked comfortable, decisive, or really good at all.

I’d probably give him Toews’ spot on PP2 just to give him some rest since he’s also on the PK but that’s about it. Absolutely would not have him on PP1. No chance.

Have to disagree with the bolded. He hasn't been given a consistent 2nd unit PP role to settle into. He's just received spot duty. His first year and post concussion last year, he was playing it safe, and not with the usual confidence he has to make plays.

But early in the season last year, he was playing aggressively on his toes with confidence when he had the puck, and he looked great on the PP. Especially when Makar was out, where he actually looked better than Cale did early in the season when he and the PP were struggling a bit.

The PP actually got better with Bo on it at that time and I swear Cale came back after watching Bo from up top, and realized he needed to start moving the puck quicker. Which he did and continued to do after.

That first few weeks of last years season is a better indicator of what kind of PP player Bo will be in his career IMO than the other times when he was playing overly safe.

I don't think Bo should take over for Cale on PP1, but I do think he should be full time on the 2nd unit, and let one of Toews or Girard be spot duty guy, because he's better than them on the PP. I'd also like to see them go with Bo-Makar on the 1st unit to change things up every once in a while.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Yep. He was given a chance on the Top PP earlier in the year when he was actually playing well in general... And still did absolutely noting on the PP. Actually contributed to our slow start in that regard.

Its definitely the weakest area of his game right now. He hasn't earned the PP opportunity yet but I'd also agree I'd put him on PP2 over Toews next year. Toews gets the Top 5 on 5 minutes and the top PK minutes. Bo should get PP2 and possibly some PK2 work as well.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Bo pretty clearly has great PP skills. He just needs to get some consistent 2nd unit time and that will build his confidence to play his game, rather than deferring to everyone else and playing overly safe like he has tendency to do in new situations.

When he does that we'll see more plays like this on the man advantage. The two nice 6 on 5 plays below he made while Cale was out, and he had looked great distributing the puck on the PP earlier in the game.

6 on 5 PPA

6 on 5 PPG

4 on 3 PPG

5 on 4 PPA

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
And signed Ben Meyers. And signed Lukas Sedlak

They've added 3 skaters to the team in the last 5 months and all 3 of them are Centers. Combined with the fact he hasn't played Center since like March... Its pretty clear he's being treated as a Winger at this point.

They probably haven't completely given up on him as a Center, I'm sure he'll get a few looks this year and hell I'd still give him some looks if it were me as well... But its clear with who they've brought in over the last few months they dont view him as a Center option right now at least.

He's just better as a Winger. Not a bad thing. He can still be a very good, Top 6 player for us. Just not at the Center ice position.
He was most productive as a C last year

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
He didn't exponentially improve. He got worse towards the very end of the year and was a literal non factor in the playoffs.

But, I dont think anyone is counting him out at all. He just isn't a Center. He could be a Top 6 winger as soon as this year for us. But not a Center.

He got worse?

10 points (plus 5) in his last 14 games is worse? Righto then. That's 60 odd point pace mate (extrapolated). He then followed that up with 4 points (plus / minus even) in 12 physical, demanding, skillful playoff games. The 21 year old kid hasn't even played 82 regular season games yet as a player !! We'll have to agree to disagree here, sorry mate - and I respect your opinion a lot.

Same goes with your take on King Bo. In my view, he'll become a top 5 D-man in the entire league if he can remain healthy. Kid has every tool in his kit bag. There are zero flaws.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
MacKinnon is a Top5 center. Not debatable. But is he worth beeing the most paid player in the league? If the rumors are true and he wants to be that, Colorado will regress. I`d rather trade him for a lesser C and a package for futures. Byram and Newhook will need new contracts and Toews will be up the year after. Run Rantanen as a C and get a lesser in a trade.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
We'll know what "fair" means when he signs that contract. Until then ...

giphy.gif

Relax fellas!

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
MacKinnon is a Top5 center. Not debatable. But is he worth beeing the most paid player in the league? If the rumors are true and he wants to be that, Colorado will regress. I`d rather trade him for a lesser C and a package for futures. Byram and Newhook will need new contracts and Toews will be up the year after. Run Rantanen as a C and get a lesser in a trade.

The cap will go up. There isn't one package of players we can get that will give us what Mackinnon brings.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Someone mentioned the C signings being an indictment of what the Avs think of Newhook as C. How many of those 2Cs would legitimately be considered as a 2C? Acquiring Cs gives more roster flexibility. It seems like the Avs are still hedging their bets with a moneyball approach.

Bednar loves playing with line combinations. Whoever plays 2C, might depend on the combination that's working on a given night. It seems likely they're leaving themselves the option to cobble a 2C together through a variety of line combinations.

At the offensive end, the Avs are extremely effective at engaging their D by playing low to high. This doesn't necessarily require the 2C to be a conventional facilitator.

It seems like the Avs are identifying what makes them effective and acquiring skulls they can apply to that. It seems less paint by numbers. By doing this, they're really leveraging their defense. In a certain way, you could say that their D is the 2C.

Newhook has done his apprenticeship doing the little things that are about compete-level. He's also played enough to be past "the rookie wall". I'm looking forward to seeing him get an opportunity on the 2nd line. He might be the best facilitator after 9296. Time will tell.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Byram needs time to work on his shot and learn NHL PP. This will come with time and experience.

Remember in Makar's first season people were saying he isn't a good PP QB, that Barrie was much better, etc. Now he's likely the best PP QB in the NHL.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Bo pretty clearly has great PP skills. He just needs to get some consistent 2nd unit time and that will build his confidence to play his game, rather than deferring to everyone else and playing overly safe like he has tendency to do in new situations.

When he does that we'll see more plays like this on the man advantage. The two nice 6 on 5 plays below he made while Cale was out, and he had looked great distributing the puck on the PP earlier in the game.

6 on 5 PPA

6 on 5 PPG

4 on 3 PPG

5 on 4 PPA

lol you beat me to it. Straight up proof Byram is more than capable of making stuff happen with the man advantage.

All these people saying Byram doesn't work on the power play when he only recieved 29 minutes of very spaced apart power play time all regular season. The kid hasn't even had a chance to settle in yet. Girard and Toews, for example, had 122 and 113 minutes respectively. You give that time to Bo and I think some people are going to be surprised once he gets comfortable.

Go watch Byram's WHL highlights, this kid thrives on the power play. He just needs opportunity and exposure. When he gets that he'll be behind only Makar in terms of power play threats on defense.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Nope.

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
The Byram narrative is that he COULD do it if given the opportunity, because he's shown glimpses of it last year, on the 3rd pair most of the season and on the 2nd pair during the playoffs.

The Seider narrative is that he did it last year, on the 1st pair all year long. I didn't really see him play so can't comment.

That seems to be more than enough basis to rate Seider above of Byram. Doesn't mean it will stay that way at the end of the current season. But there is a difference in value between potential vs demonstrated.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
What about Jake Vitanen as a PTO?

Dude got railroaded by some false accusations but is a legit power forward. He could be a nice flyer the same as when we signed Nichushkin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad