Rumor: 2022-2023 Trade Rumors and Free Agency (Mod Warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Still don't count out Newhook guys, and the way he exponentially improved as the season progressed (posted stats earlier in this thread). And he got those numbers next to 3rd and 4th line wingers.

Put him next to Rants, Landy, Nuke or Lehk, y'all just watch him go. Plus with Stanley Cup winning playoff experience, the only thing that will leave you disappointed, is that super Joe (or McFarland) didn't resign him earlier on the cheap for term !!!!

He didn't exponentially improve. He got worse towards the very end of the year and was a literal non factor in the playoffs.

But, I dont think anyone is counting him out at all. He just isn't a Center. He could be a Top 6 winger as soon as this year for us. But not a Center.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
You've soured on him that much Pierce? I mean as a center? I just kinda assumed he hit the rookie wall. He kept showing a moment here or there that gave a glimpse of hope, but never anything really sustained.

I was hoping that experience and a full summer to train knowing what to expect would kinda reset him a bit. I still think he's capable of playing center but it depends on how assertive he can become.

Reactions: Alienblood

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The thing I keep thinking about with the third line though is handedness. If you've got ERod on the second and use JTC to center the third, then either Newhook or Meyers are playing on their offhand? Is that going to be an issue for either of them?

That's why I keep penciling JTC on the right wing if he's not at 2C.

Something they could do if they really wanted to balance out the Top 9 and help the weak 3C spot is this:

Landy - Mack - Nuke
Newhook - ERod - Rantanen
Lehky - Meyers - JTC

Lehky would help the 3rd line defensively a bunch. Take a bit of that pressure off Meyers while he adjusts to the role in the NHL. And that line would certainly still have the ability to score goals.

Newhook's 5 on 5 P/60 last year was actually pretty encouraging overall. Enough that I think with more minutes and playing with Mikko he could legitimately generate ~40 Even Strength points next year. Then tou just need him to get more involved on the PP and he could very well be a 50+ guy next year.

You've soured on him that much Pierce? I mean as a center? I just kinda assumed he hit the rookie wall. He kept showing a moment here or there that gave a glimpse of hope, but never anything really sustained.

I was hoping that experience and a full summer to train knowing what to expect would kinda reset him a bit. I still think he's capable of playing center but it depends on how assertive he can become.

As a Center yes. His skating isn't strong enough to impact the game at both ends of the ice at a good enough level. As a Winger, not at all though. I legitimately think on a 2nd line with Mikko he could score 20 Goals and 50 points this year.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
Funny enough, I kind of feel like the opposite is true here as well.

Fair enough. We'll see. I'm pretty confident we'll get decent 3C production, I think 2C production will be an absolute pipe dream. It's likely to be brutal unless Compher/ERod do something silly in a contract year or Newhook takes a massive leap.

I do agree with Rants at C. I don't understand why you wouldn't give him a 20 game audition. It won't make us miss the playoffs and him transitioning to C would be an absolute game changer this season and long term. We have the wingers to give him a chance. Sadly I don't think the Avs feel that way at all but hopefully I'm wrong. If Rants gets a shot at 2C than I think we'll be absolutely fine at 3C.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Newhook had his best and longest stretch of production at the end of the season in April.

He started it with 5 points in 4 games and ended with 8 points in 8 games.

His second and third best streaks were at the beginning of the year. Putting up 5 points in 6 games to start the year. Then in December another 5 points in 4 games stretch, before going pointless the next five games.

To me he pretty clearly had a decent start close to expectations, then hit the college wall, then started to to get his second wind towards the end of the year. Then he was a rookie in a 4 round playoff run who wasn't ready to play a big role and played like it.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
1663287147191.png

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Newhook had his best and longest stretch of production at the end of the season in April.

He started it with 5 points in 4 games and ended with 8 points in 8 games.

His second and third best streaks were at the beginning of the year. Putting up 5 points in 6 games to start the year. Then in December another 5 points in 4 games stretch, before going pointless the next five games.

To me he pretty clearly had a decent start close to expectations, then hit the college wall, then started to to get his second wind towards the end of the year. Then he was a rookie in a 4 round playoff run who wasn't ready to play a big role and played like it.
A rookie playing on a line with guys who the organization let go after winning the Cup. Going through last season was a steep learning curve for Newhook, yet there may be tremendous value for him in the experience. Time will tell.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Seider ranked in the 3B tier and Byram not even ranked at all. I’m constantly amazed how underrated Byram is right now.

He was every bit as good as Seider this season.

Avs players don't have the hype train behind them unless they go 1st overall. Look how long it took the likely best defenseman of his generation to fully get respect? Didn't really happen until this year.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
In what world would Bo be anywhere on that list...

You guys just overrate him a bunch on here.

What am I missing here? Seider 50 points in 82 games. Bowen Byram 17 in 30 with no power play time. Both guys play a good two-way game. Byram played a massive role on a cup winning team. Not sure why that doesn’t matter.

I think Seider could end up being a top-10 D, but I just don’t see this wide gap that a lot of people seem to see. Seider looks like he’s skating with cement in his skates compared to Byram.

Oblivion Beckons

Jan 20, 2021

Seider ranked in the 3B tier and Byram not even ranked at all. I’m constantly amazed how underrated Byram is right now.

He was every bit as good as Seider this season.

Seider put up 50, played a full season and was on the top pairing. It is pretty clear why Byram is not ranked the same as him.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
On another note, it’s interesting to hear MacK say his new deal will be ‘fair’.

I wonder what kind of AAV he deems fair. It brings some cautious optimism after the Dater reports that he was wanting 13+.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
From the Athletics:

“I think the deal I sign will be fair and it’s not gonna be single digit or anything, but it’ll be good I think for both sides. Denver’s the only place I want to be, for sure,” MacKinnon said, adding that the number wouldn’t even be close to the maximum allowed in the CBA, which is 20 percent of the salary cap or (currently) $16.5 million.

Gives me hope it might be less than 12.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
On another note, it’s interesting to hear MacK say his new deal will be ‘fair’.

I wonder what kind of AAV he deems fair. It brings some cautious optimism after the Dater reports that he was wanting 13+.

Dater's Wrong List this year:
-No FA centers will be acquired
-Mackinnon contract still in 'grinding' phase
-Mackinnon wants $13 million +

This guy is being fed disinformation by now

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
From the Athletics:

“I think the deal I sign will be fair and it’s not gonna be single digit or anything, but it’ll be good I think for both sides. Denver’s the only place I want to be, for sure,” MacKinnon said, adding that the number wouldn’t even be close to the maximum allowed in the CBA, which is 20 percent of the salary cap or (currently) $16.5 million.

Love that he’s just putting a complete stop to any thought that he might go to UFA.

MacK wants to retire an Av.

TheRarestDangles

Oct 1, 2019
Denver, Colorado, USA, Earth
From the Athletics:

Mack is the man.

Reactions: The Moops
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad