Rumor: 2022-2023 Trade Rumors and Free Agency (Mod Warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
I've stated this many times before, but when players are as polished technically as Newhook... a jump in skating is unlikely to happen. I wouldn't expect Newhook's skating to get significantly better. It might incrementally, but a large jump won't happen. IMO the best thing Newhook could do to help his skating at this point is to trim down 10-15lbs.

Newhook's motor and edgework allow him to win his fair share of battles, which is important at wing and one of the reasons he's good there.
If the team wanted to use Newhook as a winger, I'd rather trade him. Third line seems too low for him.

Reactions: Vaslof

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Didn't Rantanen play a lot of center in Finland?

Not sure if he'd enjoy playing center as much as wing, but it would probably be in his best interest financially to play C as centers tend to get paid a premium compared to wingers.

He'd also still keep his RW spot on PP1 so that might be enough to keep him happy inspite of playing C at 5v5.

I'm fairly certain I remember the scouting reports saying he played Center until his draft year in the Men's league.

I dont know that he dislikes playing Center. I just think he and the Avs had such insant success with him on RW with Mack that they never felt like trying anything else until last year.

Him working out at Center would be massive though. Then you also free up a Top 6 winger slot which Newhook can easily slot into on a nice 3 Year bridge deal for like $4M next summer instead of likely having to be trade bait to get a 2C that would also cost more assets on top of that.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Probably the goalie and extremely defensively-focused coach in me, but Mikko's lack of engagement and pedestrian shifts would be a killer at 2C on a consistent basis.

More than anything, a good center has to be engaged and active. Whether it's the wheels always moving like a Horvat or Larkin... active sticks like ROR or Bergeron… your center needs to be involved.

Mikko, in my honest opinion, legitimately takes off about a quarter of his shifts where he glides around and takes two or three strides in 30 seconds.

You’re either cramming a square peg into a round hole and forcing it to work, or you’re going to be awfully frustrated with our top two centres being completely disengaged on the defensive side of the game.

Just my $0.02 CAD.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Didn't Rantanen play a lot of center in Finland?

Not sure if he'd enjoy playing center as much as wing, but it would probably be in his best interest financially to play C as centers tend to get paid a premium compared to wingers.

He'd also still keep his RW spot on PP1 so that might be enough to keep him happy inspite of playing C at 5v5.
I read an article from the Denver Post late last Winter when Rants was playng center for a time due to an injury. He indicated that he likes playing center and changing positions was not an issue for him.

Sorry I do not have a link.

Reactions: Richard88

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Probably the goalie and extremely defensively-focused coach in me, but Mikko's lack of engagement and pedestrian shifts would be a killer at 2C on a consistent basis.

More than anything, a good center has to be engaged and active. Whether it's the wheels always moving like a Horvat or Larkin... active sticks like ROR or Bergeron… your center needs to be involved.

Mikko, in my honest opinion, legitimately takes off about a quarter of his shifts where he glides around and takes two or three strides in 30 seconds.

You’re either cramming a square peg into a round hole and forcing it to work, or you’re going to be awfully frustrated with our top two centres being completely disengaged on the defensive side of the game.

Just my $0.02 CAD.

Its definitely possible it doesn't work for the reasons you listed.

But if he does become more engaged at Center, he's the perfect type of player for it IMO. When he's engaged in the play he's a solid two-way guy and a monster to try and defend.

I definitely agree it's it's his laziness/inconsistent effort that would be the thing that stops him from being a Center. But I also think the most engaged he looked all year was when he played Center which is why I think it's worth trying.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I'm fairly certain I remember the scouting reports saying he played Center until his draft year in the Men's league.

I dont know that he dislikes playing Center. I just think he and the Avs had such insant success with him on RW with Mack that they never felt like trying anything else until last year.

Him working out at Center would be massive though. Then you also free up a Top 6 winger slot which Newhook can easily slot into on a nice 3 Year bridge deal for like $4M next summer instead of likely having to be trade bait to get a 2C that would also cost more assets on top of that.
Agree with that.

Rantanen playing C and Newhook 2nd line wing would also have the knock-on effect of opening up another wing spot on the 3rd line... which could work out well seeing that the majority of Avs AHL prospects are forwards who project to a ~3rd line level if things work out (i.e. Kaut, Ranta, Olausson, Beaucage, Foudy, Kovalenko).

Reactions: niwotsblessing

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
What about Jake Vitanen as a PTO?

Dude got railroaded by some false accusations but is a legit power forward. He could be a nice flyer the same as when we signed Nichushkin.
Is this for real? I never heard the resolution to the case

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Rantanen just isn't a center. Doesn't backcheck and doesn't take faceoffs. It works for a few games but not more than that hence the coach not playing him at C for more than a handful of games.

Reactions: McMetal

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Rantanen just isn't a center. Doesn't backcheck and doesn't take faceoffs. It works for a few games but not more than that hence the coach not playing him at C for more than a handful of games.
Yup. The only time he plays is when like 3 C’s are hurt. It’s always last ditch thing. Landy is the guy who could/should be moved to C.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Having three very good defensive wingers in Nichushkin, Landeskog, and Lehkonen gives the Avs some leeway when it comes to center. Kadri was pretty good in all three zones last year, but most agree last year was a bit of an outlier where he absolutely blew his previous career totals out of the water. But before that, Kadri was no great shakes defensively, and while MacKinnon has made an effort to work harder in the defensive zone, he's by no means good in that end of the ice. Same thing with Rantanen.

IMO Rants will be tried at 2C but he won't stick there.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Just my $0.02 CAD.

From the little we've seen of him at center, he's better at being engaged and keeping his feet moving when he plays in the middle IMO.

Also, he hasn't really been given much time to prep for playing center in the NHL. He's just been thrown into the fire out of necessity. If they try him again to start the year, I'm curious if he'll look better after a whole training camp and pre-season to work with the coaches on how he should adjust his game at center.

He actually does back check pretty hard on occasion when it's needed. Similar to Nate.

I think part of the reason we don't always see it is because Landy's usually the guy doing that, and Nate often has better acceleration, while Mikko's got his balance issues that can sometimes put him a step behind when trying to turn around and go back towards the D zone.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Would go with Rants as the #2C for half a season. If it works out the Avs have a lot of additional options and legit center depth.

If it doesn't, put Bambi back to RW where he belongs. It's not like he will forget how to play the position. The Avs really don't have anyone else capable of being a high end #2C either.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I can't see New Jersey moving Walsh until he proves if he can cut it or not this year. After this year, they'll become crowed and he could be moved. Wilde is the kinda no value sort of guy right now. He's gotta play up to his talent this year in NA and I don't think the Isles sell low yet.

Powell has a number of faults that make me not a huge fan right now. He's going to be a go-to guy at BC this season, so he's got a chance to prove me wrong.

Rags can aim a lot higher. Lundkvist looks like a passable bottom pairing guy... he was just behind a deeper core at RD and Schneider surpassed him. Plenty of teams can offer pieces to help the Rags today at forward. From the Avs, I think a LOC swap fits the needs the best. I'd be unsure of that with EJ still around.

Thoughts on this? Maybe Bode could be available cheap if Lou doesn't even want him at camp.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Would go with Rants as the #2C for half a season. If it works out the Avs have a lot of additional options and legit center depth.

If it doesn't, put Bambi back to RW where he belongs. It's not like he will forget how to play the position. The Avs really don't have anyone else capable of being a high end #2C either.
I think I'd still start with Newhook there. Throw him to the wolves and figure out if he's a full time C or not. If he doesn't stick than you could try Mikko even if I think he's a winger through and through.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I think I'd still start with Newhook there. Throw him to the wolves and figure out if he's a full time C or not. If he doesn't stick than you could try Mikko even if I think he's a winger through and through.

This is my preference too. You gotta see what you have with Newhook there.

I’m not sure he, or Rantanen do the job there, but I’m not worried about making the playoffs, so I’d take until the trade deadline to run those guys there. JB might be tempted to run Compher, but he’d be my last resort in that spot. I’d prefer E-rod over him as 2C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille