Rumor: 2022-2023 Trade Rumors and Free Agency (Mod Warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
He's going to get market value, which will probably land him as the highest paid player in the league. Which is fair. I will be happy if it's under 13m.

While he said years ago that he would take less to win, he has won now. And none of our other star players took discounts either. Not really blaming Nate for wanting to get a fair deal after all these years of being underpaid.

Reactions: The Moops

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
3C isn't a major weakness, since Meyers, Rodrigues, and Compher (who showed he can handle it in the playoffs) are capable 3C's. But yeah, 2C is a major hole.

Maybe not major, but it is absolutely a weakness.

Suggesting Meyers is a capable 3C when he's played 6 games in the NHL and none of them as a 3rd line player yet is.... Quite the take.

ERod is better as a wing, same thing JTC. They can play 3C and yes JTC showed he was good enough to be a 3C on a winning team, but that doesn't mean it isn't still a weakness on the team especially relative to other top cup contenders around the league.

Combined with the 2C spot, the 2/3 Center ice spots are a major weakness. I'd even go so far as to say the 4C is a weakness as well. Helm was decent in the playoffs but quite meh during the season and is another year older. Outside of Mackinnon, Center ice is the weakest position of every single line we roll out.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I can't see New Jersey moving Walsh until he proves if he can cut it or not this year. After this year, they'll become crowed and he could be moved. Wilde is the kinda no value sort of guy right now. He's gotta play up to his talent this year in NA and I don't think the Isles sell low yet.

Powell has a number of faults that make me not a huge fan right now. He's going to be a go-to guy at BC this season, so he's got a chance to prove me wrong.

Rags can aim a lot higher. Lundkvist looks like a passable bottom pairing guy... he was just behind a deeper core at RD and Schneider surpassed him. Plenty of teams can offer pieces to help the Rags today at forward. From the Avs, I think a LOC swap fits the needs the best. I'd be unsure of that with EJ still around.
What do you think of Vaakanainen? Presumably Anaheim won't waive him but they do have a few waiver-eligible Dmen so if he doesn't earn a spot he could potentially be waived, though that's probably unlikely.

As a more defensive Dman who can play both sides he could be a solid EJ replacement on the bottom pair by next year

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
Maybe not major, but it is absolutely a weakness.

Suggesting Meyers is a capable 3C when he's played 6 games in the NHL and none of them as a 3rd line player yet is.... Quite the take.

ERod is better as a wing, same thing JTC. They can play 3C and yes JTC showed he was good enough to be a 3C on a winning team, but that doesn't mean it isn't still a weakness on the team especially relative to other top cup contenders around the league.

Combined with the 2C spot, the 2/3 Center ice spots are a major weakness. I'd even go so far as to say the 4C is a weakness as well. Helm was decent in the playoffs but quite meh during the season and is another year older. Outside of Mackinnon, Center ice is the weakest position of every single line we roll out.

I was a huge Compher hater and he made me eat crow because post Jost trade he was pretty solid. He'd make for an average 3C in a contract year IMO. ERod according to Pens fans is much better at C than wing. His crazy hot streak came at C. Newhook/Meyers are pure projections and in Newhooks case probably not a likely one at this point. So you'd basically need 2/4 to hit at an average level to have an average 3C which is doable IMO. Basically need Compher/ERod to be 30+ guys or 1 of Newhook/Meyers to stick at C and hit 30-35 points.

Helm put up 15 points in 68 games with 7 goals and had a very good playoffs. Plus his game just fits our style with his skating. He's more than fine as a 4C. Helm/Cogs/LOC will be a strength as a 4th line, not a weakness.

2C yeah were screwed. You basically need Newhook to beat the odds and stick at C or ERod/Compher to do something crazy in a contract year.

Reactions: The Moops

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I didn't overreact...it's not a big deal.

Mack was more than likely at the wrong end of that joke for years.

Right, which is why you said it doesn't sit right with you and you immediately made comparisons to Matthews and Marner (or at least, your perception of those two individuals).

I doubt either one gives a shit what the other makes.

• Haha
Reactions: Balthazar

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Compher, Erod and Newhook are all quality 3C’s. 3C isn’t close to an issue for this team. 2C probably is but let’s not forget the Avs went 4-1 with Compher at 2C in the playoffs last year. Not like it was in the first round either. It was in the final two rounds.

The Avs aren’t better than they were last year. That would be silly to suggest. Burkie is an enormous loss too. One that isn’t talked about nearly enough. However this is all still ok. Everyone expected the Avs to lose some pieces. What matters is that they proved they can win Stanley cup final games without Naz and Burakovsky. There’s no guarantee they’ll do it again. Shit, Makar and Mackinnon could be hurt next June for all we know. But there’s a reason they’re the odds on favorite.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Monahan is done. Injuries have destroyed him.

Do we actually know he's done though or is that speculation?

Two years ago he paced for 46 points with a bad hip. Then he had surgery and at least according to Treliving, that hip is doing fine, but the other hip became a problem and he had the same procedure done. From what I can tell he's still good defensively and has a chance to regain some offensive production.

I think we have to see how Monahan looks before judging whether or not he's done. Especially in the second half of the season as the start he may be a little off.

It's just talk right now but he's saying even though he's not fully recovered from surgery, he already feels better than he did at any point the last few years.

Monahan Sportsnet Article

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I was a huge Compher hater and he made me eat crow because post Jost trade he was pretty solid. He'd make for an average 3C in a contract year IMO. ERod according to Pens fans is much better at C than wing. His crazy hot streak came at C. Newhook/Meyers are pure projections and in Newhooks case probably not a likely one at this point. So you'd basically need 2/4 to hit at an average level to have an average 3C which is doable IMO. Basically need Compher/ERod to be 30+ guys or 1 of Newhook/Meyers to stick at C and hit 30-35 points.

Helm put up 15 points in 68 games with 7 goals and had a very good playoffs. Plus his game just fits our style with his skating. He's more than fine as a 4C. Helm/Cogs/LOC will be a strength as a 4th line, not a weakness.

2C yeah were screwed. You basically need Newhook to beat the odds and stick at C or ERod/Compher to do something crazy in a contract year.

And I have always been the opposite. I was just about the only guy defending JTC in a lot of those threads last year when people thought he was a cap dump, terrible, etc. etc.

Which only adds to the fact I'm saying he's not a good 3C and its a weakness if he's playing that role for us. He's a better winger.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Do we actually know he's done though or is that speculation?

Two years ago he paced for 46 points with a bad hip. Then he had surgery and at least according to Treliving, that hip is doing fine, but the other hip became a problem and he had the same procedure done. From what I can tell he's still good defensively and has a chance to regain some offensive production.

I think we have to see how Monahan looks before judging whether or not he's done. Especially in the second half of the season as the start he may be a little off.

It's just talk right now but he's saying even though he's not fully recovered from surgery, he already feels better than he did at any point the last few years.

Monahan Sportsnet Article
I mean I think it looks like it. His skating has been noticeably worse than it was. I think he could be an NHL player still, but I think his time as an impact player is probably over. Especially considering he was never overly dynamic as it was.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I mean I think it looks like it. His skating has been noticeably worse than it was. I think he could be an NHL player still, but I think his time as an impact player is probably over. Especially considering he was never overly dynamic as it was.

Yeah we'll have to see. All of this has the potential for him to be a good buy low candidate though who has the potential to get better throughout the season and beyond this year.

If they buy when he's starting to make that upward trajectory, it could pay off.

For instance he could be playing good hockey for a month before the deadline, and signal to the Habs that he'll either test UFA or not re-sign with them. Then the Avs trade for him, he continues to play well, plays well in the playoffs, and they re-sign him to a bridge type 2-3 year deal.

There's at least the potential for them to hit the sweet spot timing wise where he doesn't cost an arm and a leg to acquire having just started to play well again, not cost an arm and leg to re-sign as someone with only a season worth of proof his injuries are behind him, and still be a capable two way 2C on a 2-3 year deal.

Last edited:

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Personally I'd pass on signing anymore guys unless they're on a two-way deal to maintain the ability to roll a 21 man roster and accrue as much cap space as possible.

The exception that I'd make is if someone good appears on waivers who might be worth picking up, like Zetterlund or PO Joseph for instance. Even then it probably makes more sense to try to do a prospect swap for those guys after they've passed through waivers instead of claiming them and having a 22+ man roster for at least 30 days.
The contract doesn't need to be 2-way as long as it is fully burriable.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
And I have always been the opposite. I was just about the only guy defending JTC in a lot of those threads last year when people thought he was a cap dump, terrible, etc. etc.

Which only adds to the fact I'm saying he's not a good 3C and its a weakness if he's playing that role for us. He's a better winger.

Yeah I remember that. I think we had an exchange about him where I was really overreacting saying he wasn't NHL caliber lol

I'm not sure I'd go as far to say he's a good 3C but I think he's a capable one even if he's better at wing. Especially if he's motivated which you assume he will be in a contract year. IMO that's always the biggest issue with him and why he's so annoying to watch. He's much better when he's playing hard. ERod is better at C than wing from everything I've seen Pens fans say and from what I've seen while watching him. We literally just need 2/4 options to have a solid season for us to have a solid 3C assuming Rants doesn't get a look at 2C. In that case we'd just need 1/4. 1 of Newhook/ERod/Compher/Meyers will be the 2C. Which realistically there gunna be pretty bad at. Which means we just need 1 of the other 3 to be solid. If ERod plays 2C, Compher can be an average 3C. I think people are penciling in Meyers at 3C right out of the gate but I think Bednar goes with Compher and if Meyers does beat out Compher than that's likely a really good sign. Same with Newhook.

I think it's very health dependent too. Once one or two of the guys go down than yeah C depth will be a huge weakness across the board. Right now with everyone healthy I think we have a top 3 1C, massive hole at 2C, an average 3C, and a solid 4C that with the wingers will be a very good 4th line.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Personally I'd pass on signing anymore guys unless they're on a two-way deal to maintain the ability to roll a 21 man roster and accrue as much cap space as possible.

The exception that I'd make is if someone good appears on waivers who might be worth picking up, like Zetterlund or PO Joseph for instance. Even then it probably makes more sense to try to do a prospect swap for those guys after they've passed through waivers instead of claiming them and having a 22+ man roster for at least 30 days.

Pretty sure they're done. Maybe they'll bring in a PTO depth D, but that feels like it.

It's been fairly clear they'll go with a 21 man roster next year. Maybe even 20 at times. They almost never go with a 22-23 man roster anymore, unless they have multiple injuries that can't go on IR or LTIR.

They've been running the roster this same way the last couple years, so they have plenty of practice making all those paper transactions to accrue cap space.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah I remember that. I think we had an exchange about him where I was really overreacting saying he wasn't NHL caliber lol

I'm not sure I'd go as far to say he's a good 3C but I think he's a capable one even if he's better at wing. Especially if he's motivated which you assume he will be in a contract year. IMO that's always the biggest issue with him and why he's so annoying to watch. He's much better when he's playing hard. ERod is better at C than wing from everything I've seen Pens fans say and from what I've seen while watching him. We literally just need 2/4 options to have a solid season for us to have a solid 3C assuming Rants doesn't get a look at 2C. In that case we'd just need 1/4. 1 of Newhook/ERod/Compher/Meyers will be the 2C. Which realistically there gunna be pretty bad at. Which means we just need 1 of the other 3 to be solid. If ERod plays 2C, Compher can be an average 3C. I think people are penciling in Meyers at 3C right out of the gate but I think Bednar goes with Compher and if Meyers does beat out Compher than that's likely a really good sign. Same with Newhook.

I think it's very health dependent too. Once one or two of the guys go down than yeah C depth will be a huge weakness across the board. Right now with everyone healthy I think we have a top 3 1C, massive hole at 2C, an average 3C, and a solid 4C that with the wingers will be a very good 4th line.

Funny enough, I kind of feel like the opposite is true here as well.

Fully healthy, our center depth sucks compared to other playoff teams. 2C is extremely weak, 3C is a little weak.

But I also think we're one of the few teams in the league that has so many natural centers playing Wing. To start the year we will likely have:

Mack
ERod
JTC
Newhook
Meyers
Helm

All as natural Centers. Then you've got Mikko(Who was a Center until his draft year) and Gabe who have both spent time at Center the last couple of years. In Mikkos case IMO he should start the year at Center.

We're one of the few teams in the league that has so many natural centers that losing 1-2 to injury wouldn't mean having to dig into the minors to get a Center replacement. Just move a guy like Newhook to the middle.

Now, losing Mackinnon would be a bad thing regardless.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The thing I keep thinking about with the third line though is handedness. If you've got ERod on the second and use JTC to center the third, then either Newhook or Meyers are playing on their offhand? Is that going to be an issue for either of them?

That's why I keep penciling JTC on the right wing if he's not at 2C.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Still don't count out Newhook guys, and the way he exponentially improved as the season progressed (posted stats earlier in this thread). And he got those numbers next to 3rd and 4th line wingers.

Put him next to Rants, Landy, Nuke or Lehk, y'all just watch him go. Plus with Stanley Cup winning playoff experience, the only thing that will leave you disappointed, is that super Joe (or McFarland) didn't resign him earlier on the cheap for term !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad