Rumor: 2022-2023 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Let’s Run it Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Just read Rob Rossi's Why haven’t the Penguins signed Malkin? Inside a fraught process nearing its end on the Athletic.

MacKinnon is going to use his relationship with Crosby to ensure that in 2025/2026 we have the deepest center depth the NHL has ever seen.

Malkin sent congratulatory texts to Rust and Letang (and backup goalie Casey DeSmith) on the days their new deals became official. Each player asked him if he was next.​
His response: “They think I’m not good anymore.”​
...​
If the Penguins offered four years, that $6 million salary could work for Malkin. However, Malkin distanced himself and prepared to move on after what he saw as a combination of low offers and being a lack of a priority for the Penguins. Things were recently so precarious that Crosby paid a visit to Malkin at his home on Fisher Island in South Florida.​
“Sid didn’t go to convince Malkin to sign,” a league source said. “He wanted to check on his friend. He was worried about how hard this is on Geno with Geno not feeling wanted anymore.”​

Summer of 25, Sid signs a cheap 1 year contract with the Avs. Malkin is in his 4th year of a 6x4 contract with the Avs. Center depth in 25/26 MacKinnon-Crosby-Malkin-Tavares(who signs 1 year league minimum contract to finally win a cup).
LOL. Hopefully not. I hate the idea of Malkin to the Avs.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Just out of curiosity if deangelo and graves are both better than girard who’s better between TDA and Gravey train?

It depends on how your defence is structured and how many undersized offensive Dmen you want.

Who kills penalties? Who's on the ice on the last minute to seal a win? Who blocks shots, clears the net etc.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Washington is by far the best fit for Kuemper. They're a decent but aging team who aren't really expected to win a cup, so Kuemper can age on the same timeline as the team with low pressure, and no one will care if his contract sucks in 2-3 years because they'll be entering a rebuild.

Conversely Edmonton and Toronto fans would eat him alive if he doesn't win a cup and then declines before the McDrai/Matthews contracts end.

Reactions: Balthazar

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Here's another roster that believe it or not, would fit below the $82.5M cap:

- Nuke 6x5.5M
- Lehky 4x4M
- Georgiev 2x2.75M
- Johnson 1x800k
- NAK 1x1.4M
- Andrew Copp 7x5.5M
- Calvin De Haan 1x1.5M

- Trade Newhook + 2023 1st(Lotto protection) for JT Miller @ 50% retention.

Landy - Mack - Nuke
Lehky - Miller - Mikko
JTC - Copp - NAK
LOC - Meyers - Cogliano
Sedlak

Toews - Makar
Byram - Girard
CDH - Johnson
Jonson - MacDermid

George
Francouz

Next year you can try and bring back Miller, but if we dont have space or cant find a good number to keep him, you've got a great backup plan ready to go as Copp slots into the 2C spot pretty effortlessly and the entire Top 6 is signed for a couple more years at that point.
I love that roster... But two thoughts:

Firstly I'd try to get Georgiev on a 3 year deal. If more capspace is needed then replace NAK with a cheaper guy.

Secondly, is it realistic to expect Copp to sign with the Avs to play 3C? That's probably unlikely. Though I suppose one of Miller/Copp could play 2LW if you want to give them more minutes.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Friedman also reported Kuemper to Caps is very possible. Supposedly Washington has had interest in Darcy for a while

Reactions: Balthazar

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Wait... The UFA negotiating period doesn't start till Wednesday. How could he be "close" when no terms are to be negotiated currently while he's still Avs property? I believe that's called "tampering", is it not?
The Avs may have allowed Washington to discuss with Kuemper

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
This is incredibly flawed logic. And quite frankly GMs do the opposite.
It's absolutely the truth but whatever. Like you have a clue how GMs think.

So you're saying it was a dumb move to trade for Manson, Lehkonen, and Cogliano? You need to take calculated gambles and lots of luck to win. Making decision solely on value means you end up like Carolina or Nashville of the past where they're always close, but they never had the balls to go all-in until it was too late.

Signing Manson and trading Girard isn't in a complete all-in, not even close. People are acting like Manson is 35, not 30/31. It's basically just punting spending assets down the road, instead of having to trade for another Manson next year. It's very likely his game is going to decline, but it's also not a complete given either. Plenty of GMs also aren't smart, Tampa had plenty of suitors for McDonagh who is 33 and got all his prime years out of him.

Girard is a luxury piece, if Joe can make a hockey trade you do it, and if not you keep him.
Unlike most on here I loved the TDL and didn't go into depression because Giroux wouldn't come and Joe wouldn't get another goalie. There is a big difference between giving up draft picks and prospects and signing someone to a long term contract. The uninformed can rant about guys walking for nothing, but nothing could be further from the truth if the alternative is signing him to a bad contract.

Reactions: flyfysher

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Friedman also reported Kuemper to Caps is very possible.
Yea but does he have enough followers? :sarcasm:
lol this guy has less than 300 followers and zero industry mutuals
I posted it because there's no BS in his timeline and he is only reporting what he hears in the media. That said, in insight, that's probably from Friedman in yesterday's 32 thoughts podcast.

• Haha
Reactions: AvalancheSpeedsters

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Funny how quiet things are for Burakovsky. Have to assume he's gone, which was expected.

Expecting a decent contribution from Ben Meyers tbh. Wouldn't surprise me if we see him on the second line at times next season. He's the most coveted college FA in the last couple of years. He's certainly pencilled in for a top-9 role.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
Healthy scratch in the playoffs sealed the deal...even if he was decent when he came back before the injury.
I look at it like he's a great piece on a team that's trying to get there, but we got there and he wasn't necessary for all of it. Played great, actually blocked shots and forechecked hard andthings, but he's a luxury at this point. No way we cam say we won't miss him but he's too expensive to even really consider.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
If anything, the fact DeAngelo with all the baggage he comes with, as an RFA.... Still managed to fetch a 2nd + 3rd + 4th, all that does is solidify even further the absolute haul Girard would get.

Not to mention Romanov getting the 13th overall pick as well.

Girard would fetch a kings ransom if the Avs traded him. 23 years old signed for 5 more years at a great cap hit and an already established #3 PMD.
I’d say the return would be closer to what the Yotes will get for Chychrun, than it would be to garbage human deangelo

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Russian transliteration is tough sometimes. When writing in Finnish it should technically be Nitšuškin.
And @RoyIsALegend and I here got into a small bout about Finnish spelling... all good there

The best example is the recent Vezina winner. It shouldn't be Shesterkin but Shestyorkin. Nichuskin is all fine because it sounds the same.

• Love
Reactions: RoyIsALegend

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
Burakovsky will get offers but my gut tells me he is a great fit for the Seattle Kraken, who are rumored to add and have money to spend. He's won 2 Cups, This is a case where a player will go with big contract way over 'chance to win'. He could help that team, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad