Rumor: 2022-2023 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Let’s Run it Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Anyone who thinks a Girard trade will return some legit #2 Center or top 6 forward should look at what the Canes got for Tony DeAngelo.

"The Hurricanes are receiving a 2022 fourth-round pick (No. 101 overall), a 2023 third-round pick, and second-round pick in 2024 from the Flyers in the deal for DeAngelo, who signed a two-year, $10 million contract with Philadelphia after the trade"

And DeAngelo is arguably much better than Girard.
lol

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
In 5 years, Girard will be 29. In 5 years, Manson will be 35. This board hates EJ at 35 and $6M. How will it feel with Manson at 35 and $5M.

EJ also only just turned 34 in March. He was 33 for basically all of this year and 32 last year.

If anything you'd think EJ is the shining star example for this board of why giving Manson 4-5 years at 4-5M is an absolute mistake. But people have short memories I guess.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I'd still take him at 5.5M.
At a short deal, I guess. There's a big bet in such a deal. We all love Nuke but we really have to start watching our cap structure here. The nature of this league, unfortunate as it is, that cup winning teams are going to dissolve. Can't keep 'em together, just no way. We are already paying big bucks to our stars and MacK is coming up next season (though the deal is probably done a week from now).

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Girard's abilities or attributes aren't really the issue. He's a nice puck moving D-men on a great contract. The issue is that he, and Newhook, are really only expendable assets that we have that could be used in a big trade. We have nothing else that's gonna move the dial should we need to acquire a 2C.

Agreed. If the time comes where we still don't have a 2C in August or something you might have to float Girard's name...

But until that point he shouldn't be on the table.

One other thought... I know a lot of us were on board with Newhook + 1st for Kane @50%...

Would anyone here do Newhook + 1st for JT Miller @50%?

Can't help but feel like getting our 2C for just $2.65M this year would give the Avs all kinds of room to not only bring back Nuke, but even add another free agent as well.

Reactions: AvsWraith

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Anyone who thinks a Girard trade will return some legit #2 Center or top 6 forward should look at what the Canes got for Tony DeAngelo.

"The Hurricanes are receiving a 2022 fourth-round pick (No. 101 overall), a 2023 third-round pick, and second-round pick in 2024 from the Flyers in the deal for DeAngelo, who signed a two-year, $10 million contract with Philadelphia after the trade"

And DeAngelo is arguably much better than Girard.
Just out of curiosity if deangelo and graves are both better than girard who’s better between TDA and Gravey train?

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
At a short deal, I guess. There's a big bet in such a deal. We all love Nuke but we really have to start watching our cap structure here. The nature of this league, unfortunate as it is, that cup winning teams are going to dissolve. Can't keep 'em together, just no way. We are already paying big bucks to our stars and MacK is coming up next season (though the deal is probably done a week from now).

A top 6 winger at 5.5 is nothing, every contender has them. We aren’t going to ice a team of Makar, landeskog, Rantanen and Mackinnon then the rest of them ELCs and vet minimum. Absolutely lock nuke up at 5.5

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Here's another roster that believe it or not, would fit below the $82.5M cap:

- Nuke 6x5.5M
- Lehky 4x4M
- Georgiev 2x2.75M
- Johnson 1x800k
- NAK 1x1.4M
- Andrew Copp 7x5.5M
- Calvin De Haan 1x1.5M

- Trade Newhook + 2023 1st(Lotto protection) for JT Miller @ 50% retention.

Landy - Mack - Nuke
Lehky - Miller - Mikko
JTC - Copp - NAK
LOC - Meyers - Cogliano
Sedlak

Toews - Makar
Byram - Girard
CDH - Johnson
Jonson - MacDermid

George
Francouz

Next year you can try and bring back Miller, but if we dont have space or cant find a good number to keep him, you've got a great backup plan ready to go as Copp slots into the 2C spot pretty effortlessly and the entire Top 6 is signed for a couple more years at that point.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014

- Nuke 6x5.5M
- Lehky 4x4M
- Georgiev 2x2.75M
- Johnson 1x800k
- NAK 1x1.4M
- Andrew Copp 7x5.5M
- Calvin De Haan 1x1.5M

Landy - Mack - Nuke
Lehky - Miller - Mikko
JTC - Copp - NAK
LOC - Meyers - Cogliano
Sedlak

Toews - Makar
Byram - Girard
CDH - Johnson
Jonson - MacDermid

George
Francouz

Next year you can try and bring back Miller, but if we dont have space or cant find a good number to keep him, you've got a great backup plan ready to go as Copp slots into the 2C spot pretty effortlessly and the entire Top 6 is signed for a couple more years at that point.

My goodness.. sign me up for that!

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan

- Nuke 6x5.5M
- Lehky 4x4M
- Georgiev 2x2.75M
- Johnson 1x800k
- NAK 1x1.4M
- Andrew Copp 7x5.5M
- Calvin De Haan 1x1.5M

Landy - Mack - Nuke
Lehky - Miller - Mikko
JTC - Copp - NAK
LOC - Meyers - Cogliano
Sedlak

Toews - Makar
Byram - Girard
CDH - Johnson
Jonson - MacDermid

George
Francouz

If I’m trading the 1st and Newhook I want Schiefele. I don’t trust Miller to repeat last season.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
Maybe the issue isn’t money but term? Maybe Nuke’s asking for 8 years and a NTC.

The deals going to get done. Expect it to come down to the wire though. If there were real issues in the negotiation we would’ve heard by now. The gap is likely manageable but they’re both going to use the deadline to extract the most possible.

Reactions: LOFIN

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
If I’m trading the 1st and Newhook I want Schiefele. I don’t trust Miller to repeat last season.

That could be an option... Though I will say, I advocated for Scheifele here a couple months ago, but I've heard enough about his attitude concerns and complete unwillingness to play Defense that he's certainly not my top option any more.

The beauty about Miller with us is he doesn't even have to replicate what he did last season. If he can come in and put up ~65-70 points from that 2C spot, with the firepower we have around him, that's going to be plenty to put us atop the division again and poised for another deep playoff run. Plus, you're getting him for just $2.65M.

Newhook and a 1st is a lot to give up... But the 1st round pick should almost certainly be 25+. And Newhook is just... He's a decent young player but I have serious doubts about him being a Center in the NHL and if he's not a Center, we are already pretty stacked on the wings. Landy/Mikko/Lehky/Nuke realistically should all be here for another 4+ years or more.

I see next year as the last great chance to win it all while Mackinnon is making half of what he's worth. Might as well load up completely, push our chips into the middle and go all in again. And Miller at $2.65M or Kane at $5.25M are both as all in as it gets at this point IMO.

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
That could be an option... Though I will say, I advocated for Scheifele here a couple months ago, but I've heard enough about his attitude concerns and complete unwillingness to play Defense that he's certainly not my top option any more.

The beauty about Miller with us is he doesn't even have to replicate what he did last season. If he can come in and put up ~65-70 points from that 2C spot, with the firepower we have around him, that's going to be plenty to put us atop the division again and poised for another deep playoff run. Plus, you're getting him for just $2.65M.

Newhook and a 1st is a lot to give up... But the 1st round pick should almost certainly be 25+. And Newhook is just... He's a decent young player but I have serious doubts about him being a Center in the NHL and if he's not a Center, we are already pretty stacked on the wings. Landy/Mikko/Lehky/Nuke realistically should all be here for another 4+ years or more.

I see next year as the last great chance to win it all while Mackinnon is making half of what he's worth. Might as well load up completely, push our chips into the middle and go all in again. And Miller at $2.65M or Kane at $5.25M are both as all in as it gets at this point IMO.
It’s mainly because we’d get Schiefele for 2 years as opposed to Miller for just next (I don’t want to pay the $8M+ he’s looking for)

Reactions: Bender

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL

- Nuke 6x5.5M
- Lehky 4x4M
- Georgiev 2x2.75M
- Johnson 1x800k
- NAK 1x1.4M
- Andrew Copp 7x5.5M
- Calvin De Haan 1x1.5M

Landy - Mack - Nuke
Lehky - Miller - Mikko
JTC - Copp - NAK
LOC - Meyers - Cogliano
Sedlak

Toews - Makar
Byram - Girard
CDH - Johnson
Jonson - MacDermid

George
Francouz

Like the roster but heck no on the 2 year deal for Georgiev.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019

We aren't even close to trading for Scheifele or Miller if all we have to offer is Newhook and a late 1st round pick. And you guys want their teams to retain 50% on their contracts?

Holy hell, this board needs to get a grip.

Reactions: AvStock

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
We aren't even close to trading for Scheifele or Miller if all we have to offer is Newhook and a late 1st round pick. And you guys want their teams to retain 50% on their contracts?

Holy hell, this board needs to get a grip.
No retention imo. Newhook + 1st is kind of the offers they’re getting I think. If Schiefele still wants out that could accelerate the process. I’d add additional pieces too, but the 1st and Newhook would be the base of the deal. I mean, Blackhawks just traded a 2 time 40 goal scorer in his early 20s for peanuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad