OT: 2022-2023 NCAA Hockey Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Gophers get the OT winner from Knies after he also tied it late in the 3rd, was a hectic finish, reminiscent of a Wild game with chances galore and no finishing ability.

Wildabeast

Jan 28, 2022
Gophers get the OT winner from Knies after he also tied it late in the 3rd, was a hectic finish, reminiscent of a Wild game with chances galore and no finishing ability.

Straight filth from Cooley on the O.T goal. Insane skill-set and awareness

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Once they build their rink they will become a big time program, IMO. All sorts of kids would rather stay in the cities than go away, and many will find coming to them attractive.
Forsure. They already have announced the rink too. Looks pretty awesome. I’m looking forward to getting more excited about college hockey.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Damn, both Knies and Cooley each get a 5 minute major at the same time.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Yeah, what a dud he ended up being. Strange to me that Wisconsin has been bad for so long.
I wasn't completely surprised once Don Granato left Wisconsin. Tony doesn't really seem like a good coach. He has a history of teams underperforming. Look no further than the 2003 playoff series against the Wild.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I wasn't completely surprised once Don Granato left Wisconsin. Tony doesn't really seem like a good coach. He has a history of teams underperforming. Look no further than the 2003 playoff series against the Wild.

I don't think he's a bad coach. I do think he's a bad head coach. Similar to Evason for MN. Meaning I'd be fine with him as a bench/assistant coach in the NHL, but don't want him running everything.

I don't think Granoto adjusted to the new college game with portals and how to recruit. He's had some strange (less than ideal) lineups to me, but most coaches do this.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I don't think he's a bad coach. I do think he's a bad head coach. Similar to Evason for MN. Meaning I'd be fine with him as a bench/assistant coach in the NHL, but don't want him running everything.

I don't think Granoto adjusted to the new college game with portals and how to recruit. He's had some strange (less than ideal) lineups to me, but most coaches do this.
I have seen no indication that Granato is good at coaching.

I don’t buy that Evason is a bad head coach. If you look at his coaching record, he seems to win wherever he goes no matter the level of hockey (junior, minor leagues, NHL). There’s just too many opinionated people sitting on their couch with their bag of potato chips thinking they know what’s best.

Reactions: MuckOG

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I have seen no indication that Granato is good at coaching.

I don’t buy that Evason is a bad head coach. If you look at his coaching record, he seems to win wherever he goes no matter the level of hockey (junior, minor leagues, NHL). There’s just too many opinionated people sitting on their couch with their bag of potato chips thinking they know what’s best.
Isn't he also the guy that has never won a playoff series at any of those levels either?

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Isn't he also the guy that has never won a playoff series at any of those levels either?
Made it to round 2 a couple of times in the WHL. I think there are definitely valid concerns about Evason (in game management, willingness to make changes in the playoffs), but I don’t put him in the same boat as Granato. Not even close.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Confirmed
I remember on USCHO fan forum the Badgers fans all thought this was a can't miss hire. What happened between 2010 and now, where Wisco can no longer compete with the big boys? This isn't just a Granato thing.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I remember on USCHO fan forum the Badgers fans all thought this was a can't miss hire. What happened between 2010 and now, where Wisco can no longer compete with the big boys? This isn't just a Granato thing.

There’s a certain subsection on there, myself included, that wanted Don Granato as the head coach. He came with the original package and that was where the huge excitement was for me at least. The idea was:

Tony Granato brought coaching experience from the NHL.
Don Granato brought experience and recruiting ties from his time at the NTDP.
Mark Osiecki brought excellent recruiting history and an excellent track record of getting defensemen to the NHL (Suter, Gilbert, Schultz, Smith, McDonagh, Gardiner, etc).

Their first year was an amazing turnaround. 20-15-1 and barely missed the NCAA tournament. Then Don Granato left for the Blackhawks and the foundation started caving in.

I do wonder if Osiecki was propped up a bit by Mike Eaves. These badger teams have been dreadful at defending since Granato and him started.

Reactions: Sota Popinski

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Hoping for both Gopher and Michigan wins this weekend. I couldn’t go when they played last, and that matchup would be primetime.

Parax

Aug 26, 2018
Made it to round 2 a couple of times in the WHL. I think there are definitely valid concerns about Evason (in game management, willingness to make changes in the playoffs), but I don’t put him in the same boat as Granato. Not even close.
Once. He made it past round 1 once almost 20 years ago. He's 1-13 in playoff series, 0-7 with professional teams. I can't fathom calling that a winning coach.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Didn't a lot of college teams join D1 in the mid-late 90s? 10-15 years seems about right to move them higher on the list for college choices for recruits. You figure the first 8 to 10 years is the would have been kids that were in high school when the college joined D1 and for most it would have been the plan-D for college choices. It's not the reason for WI's decline, but I would guess it's one of many factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad