OT: 2022-2023 NCAA Hockey Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I do think Cooley can benefit from another year and he might follow the 2 year plan. I also keep going back to that Motzko slip in the interview. I also agree that’s the trend for NCAA players, most of the one and dones aren’t ready and they kind of flounder when they reach the nhl. Yes Cooley is better than Jost and Casey Mittelstadt but why rush to the coyotes? That’s just my opinion, overcook a little and step right in.
Turcotte is the cautionary tale for leaving after just a year, and Caufield/Makar the shining examples for staying another year.

Reactions: The Enemy Within

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Turcotte is the cautionary tale for leaving after just a year, and Caufield/Makar the shining examples for staying another year.
I don’t think Turcotte’s issue was leaving Wisconsin. He’s just had too many injuries and at least one injury happened while he was at Wisconsin.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don’t think Turcotte’s issue was leaving Wisconsin. He’s just had too many injuries and at least one injury happened while he was at Wisconsin.
Partially agree, but I think he would’ve been exposed to less intensity if he had stayed at WI, and would, perhaps, been given more time to heal. It’s really hard to say. I think we can agree that while he certainly might’ve flamed out if he stayed in WI, moving to the pros after only a year post draft was not helpful to his development. The poor guy is an afterthought at this point…. He was taken before guys like Boldy, Zegras, and Caufield, and was thought to be a can’t miss, safe pick.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Partially agree, but I think he would’ve been exposed to less intensity if he had stayed at WI, and would, perhaps, been given more time to heal. It’s really hard to say. I think we can agree that while he certainly might’ve flamed out if he stayed in WI, moving to the pros after only a year post draft was not helpful to his development. The poor guy is an afterthought at this point…. He was taken before guys like Boldy, Zegras, and Caufield, and was thought to be a can’t miss, safe pick.
I still think he would have been as good as most of those guys if he was 100% healthy. Speculation on USCHO at the time was that he left because of his injury history and it was better to get the contract than risk another injury in college.

I don’t think it will help or hurt Cooley if he leaves/stays. He will be fine either way.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Rumor is Cooley is seriously considering staying... that's what was said on KFAN today
I'm guessing if he wasn't Coyotes property, he'd be gone, but they're not all that enticing of a situation for a player on the fence.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Rumor is Cooley is seriously considering staying... that's what was said on KFAN today
I'm guessing if he wasn't Coyotes property, he'd be gone, but they're not all that enticing of a situation for a player on the fence.
Free agent loophole to the Wild FTW!

• Wow
Reactions: TaLoN

DC4MVP

Visit Our Site For Online Coaching/Film Breakdown!
Dec 23, 2016
Minnesota
www.dchockey.net
Going from a college rink to...a college rink. I just don't get how that's enticing for an 18 year old kid. Maybe if Arizona lands Beddard (which is a long shot by now...7.5% I think) it may be an idea to go play with him right away.

He should 100% stay (homer take). Even though the Gophs have taken a hit losing some key underclassmen and some key seniors, they're going to have a legit shot at another deep run next year.

And he'd get to play on the new ice surface!

Free agent loophole to the Wild FTW!
What would it take for him to be a free agent?

He'd have to finish all 4 seasons with the U and not sign and he'd be free, right?

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I'm guessing the signing bonus and potential $1million a year salary would have enticed me to leave college at that age.
Nah. Money doesn't buy happiness....

But I've never seen a sad person on a jet ski...

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
The only reason the decision has not happened yet is he was drafted by the biggest joke of an organization that play will play in a 4,600 seat arena the next two seasons.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm guessing the signing bonus and potential $1million a year salary would have enticed me to leave college at that age.
Ya, sometimes we forget the most basic things. Playing for your college team is great and all, but 1M is one hell of a lot of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad