Speculation: 2022-2023 Kraken Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Oh, they can totally run it back with mostly the same roster with just a few losses, but looking at it from a big picture standpoint, a lot of the current core is aging. I think the goal for this current team, as imposed by ownership, is to keep improving for the present without sacrificing the future.

I don't know if we can expect there not to be a bit of a decline from several of the vets. Eberle and Schultz are turning 33. Schwartz, Larsson and Oleksiak 31. Gourde and Tanev 32.

Geekie, Sprong, and Donato combined for 45 goals, while on most nights, only two of the three actually dressed. That is a substantial amount of goal scoring heading to free agency that I think some folks on this forum are overlooking when they think ELCs or league minimum free agents can fill the holes without a significant dropoff. Those three scored a lot of very timely goals that contributed to a lot of wins for this team. I am of the same mindset as you and think Francis needs to bring back two of the three (I think Donato is the odd man out).

Daccord and Driedger are both fairly big gambles as back-ups imo. Either could be stellar, but both seem to suffer from confidence issues at the NHL level which makes them questionable options, and Grubauer has a history of missing time. If Francis wants to bring back Sprong and Geekie and bring in a proven back-up, the cap available for another upgrade would not be available. Does that team on paper outperform this years team? Is the goal not to try to improve?

I agree that there is some flexibility with options, but there is not a lot of flexibility, and a single upgrade anywhere on the roster without money going out is going to push the cap to the ceiling and cut into the team depth, which was the strength of this team all season.

I guess it comes down to "what is the goal for the offseason and expectations for next season?".

I think for next season it does look like they might come back with the same team.

And when the time comes to replace the older guys it might not be so bad. Like Eberle's $5.5m might be put toward a better player. Or maybe Kartye or Firkus is good enough to replace Eberle on a cheap RFA deal and you land an elite defenseman with the money instead.

It's one of the most attractive teams to play for so I'm not worried about it.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
We only have 1 player under a contract that goes past age 33. Grubauer. We have 7 players who will be 33 when their current contracts expire. Honestly, that's like a dream scenario. (Unsurprisingly, it is very reminiscent of how the Hurricanes are structured cap-wise.) We have some veterans in the primes of their careers on manageable contracts (again only Grubauer takes more than 7% of the cap) locked up and in hand to help bring up the prospects that will start rolling up into the big league. Phasing older players out for younger ones is the reality of sports.

Take a look around. There are other NHL teams spending 60% or more of their cap on ~20% of their players. They have no depth past their "superstars". You have teams with guys in their early 30s who have 5, 6, 7 years at 9-10% (or more) of the current cap left on their contract.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Kartye full time next season.
After sheltering him the first couple of games, he's seeing pretty regular shifts and has gotten more ice time than Sprong and Donato in some games. Looks like the coaches trust the kid. Heck, he has 2 goals and brings a load of bricks with him on his checks. He's been impressive as a call-up and was clearly a great find by the organization.

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
Donato is upgradable if he's replaced with someone who can take faceoffs. Wright was a monster at the dot in the WJC but have no idea how did in Windsor or Coachella Valley. Faceoffs vs. men is a completely different story too.

Definitely wouldn't mind bringing Geekie back. He can play up and down the lineup. Francis drafted him twice already so I'm considering him a lock next season.

Sprong has earned himself a payday but I hope it's elsewhere and I think it will be. I don't think Hakstol really likes him either.

Soucy is upgradable but there isn't really a LHD on the UFA market that I'd go after.

If the playoffs have taught me anything this season, I don't really care who the backup goaltender is. It's all a crapshoot and anyone can catch fire/fall off a cliff.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
If McCann comes back on Tuesday do they have to make a roster move? I kind of don't want to see Kartye go back down. He's earned his spot right now. I'm not sure who i'd move.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Any news on Bura? I swear i saw a tweet with him in a red non contact jersey a month or so ago.

If McCann comes back on Tuesday do they have to make a roster move? I kind of don't want to see Kartye go back down. He's earned his spot right now. I'm not sure who i'd move.
Didnt Sprong get hurt last night? I stepped away at some point in the 3rd. Maybe he can take his spot in the lineup.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Any news on Bura? I swear i saw a tweet with him in a red non contact jersey a month or so ago.

Didnt Sprong get hurt last night? I stepped away at some point in the 3rd. Maybe he can take his spot in the lineup.
He had a set back after that I believe and had to have surgery. I can't see him being back unless they made the SCF or something.

I didn't know that about Sprong.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
He had a set back after that I believe and had to have surgery. I can't see him being back unless they made the SCF or something.

I didn't know that about Sprong.
Ahh right on. I wasnt aware of the set back sucks to hear.

And i wasnt either i just saw some people in here saying that Sprong didnt return to the game. I like what ive seen in Kartye. He should replace one of Donato or Sprong next year.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA

No, they don't have to send anybody down, but they might in order to take a run at the Calder Cup in CV. You'll notice most of the other teams are over the roster limit right now, except 2. Notably both Seattle and Dallas are the only remaining organizations alive in both the Stanley and Calder Cup playoffs, so they aren't draining their AHL roster for depth like the others have. You'll notice that both Seattle and Dallas are the only 2 remaining teams in the playoffs to have a normal number of healthy scratches on their rosters. The others have anywhere from like 5 to 20 (Vegas and Edmonton... completely absurd, but it's their money).

Reactions: Renopucker

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
If they were to use Shane in the playoffs would it burn through year one of his ELC? He's probably not my first choice for a call-up right now but curious.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
If they were to use Shane in the playoffs would it burn through year one of his ELC? He's probably not my first choice for a call-up right now but curious.
I thought they already burned it? I don't think they'll use Wright though, he's still adjusting to the AHL and they are in the play offs there too.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

The guy in the red non contact jersey was McCann, who went with a normal jersey on Sunday.

Burakovsky hasn't been on the ice since his surgery right before the palyoffs.

And yes, Sprong didn't return last night but there's still no update on that.

Yes, it would burn the first year of his ELC given that he's already played eight games and those playoff games would be added.

Overall I doubt we'll see him in the playoffs for the Kraken given that he still needs work and is best suited having a bigger role with the Firebirds.

Reactions: Renopucker

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
The guy in the red non contact jersey was McCann, who went with a normal jersey on Sunday.

Burakovsky hasn't been on the ice since his surgery right before the palyoffs.
Yes im well aware that was McCann in the red contact jersey. It was a seperate question because i wasnt aware that Bura had a setback but remembered he practiced a while ago.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Yes im well aware that was McCann in the red contact jersey. It was a seperate question because i wasnt aware that Bura had a setback but remembered he practiced a while ago.

Sometime around that practice something happened that amounted to him needing surgery. He was supposedly all ready to come back, but then the setback happened.

Reactions: Sad People

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
Ty Nelson is going to be an impactful addition to the D corps when he’s ready, and Tye Kartye has already shown he can make next year’s roster.
Add in Shane Wright down the middle and the future is bright.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Ty Nelson is going to be an impactful addition to the D corps when he’s ready, and Tye Kartye has already shown he can make next year’s roster.
Add in Shane Wright down the middle and the future is bright.
Kartye has been a revelation. It doesn't appear Hakstol is in any hurry to remove him from the lineup.

Nelson and Wright probably need some soak time in the AHL, but they have nice pedigrees. It'll be fun following these guys that Francis has in the pipeline for sure.

Reactions: Kevinsane

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
Kartye has been a revelation. It doesn't appear Hakstol is in any hurry to remove him from the lineup.

Nelson and Wright probably need some soak time in the AHL, but they have nice pedigrees. It'll be fun following these guys that Francis has in the pipeline for sure.
It will indeed. I really like the organizational approach to development thus far.

Reactions: Kat Predator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad