Speculation: 2022-2023 Kraken Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
Welp, I cheered for the flames for the last 25 years and I finally figured out I need a new team. It's been a looonggg 25 years. Seeing as Francis is a sault boy, and kartye and McCann played their junior careers in the Soo, guess its as good a time as ever to make the switch. Really miss that snap shot from the left side that kartye has mastered. Really excited to see what he brings moving forward. Every hounds fan knew that whoever took a chance on him was going to be rewarded. Need me one of them blue jerseys now with 52 on the back.

Let's go kraken!

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Random question (not just for Kraken) but has a team ever won the Stanley Cup without a captain? What happens in that situation with presenting it or do they name one before the series starts?

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
Random question (not just for Kraken) but has a team ever won the Stanley Cup without a captain? What happens in that situation with presenting it or do they name one before the series starts?
Great question. The Bruins of the early 70s did not have a captain and I believe won at least one Cup without one.

For the Kraken: My guess would be Ebs would get the handoff from Uncle Gary since he's the oldest of the leadership group without a Cup. Could be Lars too.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Great question. The Bruins of the early 70s did not have a captain and I believe won at least one Cup without one.

For the Kraken: My guess would be Ebs would get the handoff from Uncle Gary since he's the oldest of the leadership group without a Cup. Could be Lars too.

Not to get ahead of ourselves here, since the Kraken still need to win 9 games for this to happen, but we certainly know who the first 4 will be. Haha.

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
Not much to upgrade this offseason but a 4th line center that can win draws should be a priority.

Ink Dunn.

Probably re-sign Soucy unless they want to get sticky in the RFA market or make a trade.

Reactions: seakraken

seakraken

May 3, 2023
Welp, I cheered for the flames for the last 25 years and I finally figured out I need a new team. It's been a looonggg 25 years. Seeing as Francis is a sault boy, and kartye and McCann played their junior careers in the Soo, guess its as good a time as ever to make the switch. Really miss that snap shot from the left side that kartye has mastered. Really excited to see what he brings moving forward. Every hounds fan knew that whoever took a chance on him was going to be rewarded. Need me one of them blue jerseys now with 52 on the back.

Let's go kraken!
this is awesome. no other words

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Not much to upgrade this offseason but a 4th line center that can win draws should be a priority.

Ink Dunn.

Probably re-sign Soucy unless they want to get sticky in the RFA market or make a trade.
A lot depends on how ready our prospects are. If wright is ready that would be absolutely huge and save a lot of money or other centers like winterton. Same with Evans, nelson on defence and some of the wingers. Kartye looks promising.

I wouldn't mind one free agent splash, just some class to add but I'm not sure where or who's available. Fixing our power play should be a priority though, it sucked balls all year so if that means some help there then sure.

I expect beniers to keep getting better as well.

Another big question mark is can Grubauer take this form into the regular season. If so that is huge. Gt2 is a question mark right now though.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Ink Dunn.

I don't see Soucy being re-signed.
He'll probably want a bit of a raise and with Dunn looking for a big rise I doubt we can/should give that to a 4/5 defenseman.

Also, my list would be
1) try and re-sgin Dunn
2) sign Matty to a longterm extension
3) figure out the rest and how you want to improve on the current roster

Reactions: Fuhrious

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I don't see Soucy being re-signed.
He'll probably want a bit of a raise and with Dunn looking for a big rise I doubt we can/should give that to a 4/5 defenseman.

Also, my list would be
1) try and re-sgin Dunn
2) sign Matty to a longterm extension
3) figure out the rest and how you want to improve on the current roster

I think we should wait until we get clearity on how much the cap will go up for 24-25 before giving beniers his next contract.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio

Let's go kraken!
I have been a Pens fan since I was a boy and they were new to the league. I lived in the Seattle area for 15 years until 2019 and looked forward to the day the NHL showed up. Moved back closer to where I grew up before they arrived but Seattle I consider my adopted hometown and the Kraken are my #1 team now. Welcome to the group. A very knowledgeable, currently growing and very civil group of hockey fans!

Reactions: seakraken

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
When people says "just need to go get a power play guy", that is Burakovsky. He was dearly missed on the PP.

When people say "just get a scorer" Here are the UFAs sorted by points scored this season. It's not a great list this year and a lot of people will be over paid or are old.
1684246332680.png

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Sprong sure scored a lot of goals. He's actually tied for 3rd on that list and has the highest goals total of any player under 34 (!!!) on that list. Crazy, and doing so with 4th line minutes? fuuuuuck. He's gotta be gone.

If I'm an NHL GM I'm not taking a single one of those guys except Domi. I mean for any team. Sprong I'd take for probably considerably less than what he'll fetch, and I definitely put a bid in for him at my price, but I'll probably be coached out of that by my assistants as it'll probably burn a bridge with his agent.

Reactions: kihei

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
When people says "just need to go get a power play guy", that is Burakovsky. He was dearly missed on the PP.

When people say "just get a scorer" Here are the UFAs sorted by points scored this season. It's not a great list this year and a lot of people will be over paid or are old.
View attachment 709252
We can't just rely on one guy for our power play though. Injuries are part of the game. Surely we need 2 or 3. Felt like the powerplay wasn't even that great with Burakovsky but my memory could be trash.

Sprong sure scored a lot of goals. He's actually tied for 3rd on that list and has the highest goals total of any player under 34 (!!!) on that list. Crazy, and doing so with 4th line minutes? fuuuuuck. He's gotta be gone.

If I'm an NHL GM I'm not taking a single one of those guys except Domi. I mean for any team. Sprong I'd take for probably considerably less than what he'll fetch, and I definitely put a bid in for him at my price, but I'll probably be coached out of that by my assistants as it'll probably burn a bridge with his agent.
Domi definitely stepped up in a couple of games this series for Dallas. Depends on the contract he wants though and if Wright or whoever is ready.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Losing Burakovsky and Sprong hurt the PP. No question.

I do think the typical PP runs hot and cold. Even Edmonton, with their historic, unstoppable PP, ran into some bumps in the road towards the tail end of the Vegas series and couldn't score at will.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I think this off season should be really interesting to watch. Lots of little decision points on players like Borgen, Soucy, Sprong and Donato, not to mention the higher profile Dunn contract. What's exciting is it doesnt feel like the team needs to do anything splashy. Should be fun to see how things develop going into next pre-season.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa

View attachment 709252
What about the trade route? Is there any gems we could trade for like we did with Bjorkstrand last season that teams want to offload. We do have quite a bit of draft capital. There's about 3/4 teams including Boston who are close to being over the cap or will be without moves.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
I forgot about the need for help at face offs as well. Our stats in play off games when we had a better face off win rate vs when we didn't was huge.

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
Playing with a few ideas for a bottom-six center:

-Re-sign Donato. He's loved here. You're always getting full effort but he's probably hit his ceiling.

-Erik Haula brings speed and faceoff prowess. He's probably going to get an inflated contract this summer because Ruff used him in the top 6. He's more of a bottom 6er though. His transition speed would fit right in under Hakstol. I'd consider this a fairly big signing for SEA.

-Tomas Nosek is one of the league's best at faceoffs. Had a tough time cracking the Bruins lineup for obvious reasons. Big body. Offense is limited but should be cheap. I think he'd be a good option if they're feeling like Wright is a tweener.

-Shane could be ready to take the leap. I think he's already a good enough two-way player to handle bottom-six duties but I doubt the FO wants to pigeonhole him into that role just yet. I really like the idea of a Kartye-Wright-Geekie line though.

A few sort of redundant options out there:
-Pius Suter. Another solid two-way player that sort of fell off this year but can play all over the lineup.

-Noel Acciari. More limited offense but had a pretty good showing in the postseason.

-David Kampf. Shutdown guy that's gonna do his job.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think this off season should be really interesting to watch. Lots of little decision points on players like Borgen, Soucy, Sprong and Donato, not to mention the higher profile Dunn contract. What's exciting is it doesnt feel like the team needs to do anything splashy. Should be fun to see how things develop going into next pre-season.
I don't know how much Soucy gets in the open market but in my opinions Borgen outplayed him this season. We are very likely to re-sign him.

Before Kartye was called up, I would have said re-signing one of Donato or Sprong would be a good idea. But now, I would say let both of them hit FA.

The interesting thing about our roster is that we have insane depth at F. I expect Kartye to be on our starting roster next season but even without him, we have.

Beniers
McCann
Burakovsky
Eberle
Wennberg
Tanev
Gourde
Schwartz
Bjorkstrand
Tolvanen

Even without counting Kartye we have 10 legitimate top-9 forwards.

Our D on the other hand is a lot less impressive.

Dunn (100% re-signed)
Larsson
Schwartz
Oleksiak
Borgen (95% re-signed)

I would be shocked if the last spot does NOT go to Evans. He has been very good in the AHL this season. Both in the regular season and the playoffs.

Training camp could really be interesting this coming season. From a D perspective, I do not see anyone but Ryker being remotely close to making the NHL jump. From the F side though, who knows? Wright has 4 points in 11 playoff games. Not exactly lighting it on fire but respectable for a 19 year old who has been all over the place this season. Melanson has the type of game that could fit right away into a bottom-6 role with upside. Morrison could end up being this years Kartye.

We need to look for upgrades at D, if possible and try to see if we can clear out a roster spot at F if we feel any of the kids are ready to make the jump. To me, Oleksiak and Schwartz are the odd-men out. Not sure if they have much trade value but I think we could use an upgrade on Oleksiak. Schwartz is just a victim of the depth this team has. He was better during the playoffs but I am not sure if he is a fit for this team going forward.

However, this team is perfectly placed for 2024-25. With Eberle, Driedger, Wennberg and Schultz off the books, they could just play next season with close to the same roster and figure out the big decisions next offseason.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
@Fistfullofbeer

I would agree on Oleksiak being the odd man out, but with Soucy most likely gone I'm not sure you want to trade Oleksiak as well.
Especially since I'm not sure who would be available to be an upgrade on our defense.

Schwartz won't go anywhere with his NMC and I doubt there would be much interest in him around the league.

The free agent class absolutely sucks and should only be considered to fill out the roster with a vet defenseman or forward at league minimum, IMO.

Though, there seem to be a couple of interesting guys available. Toronto might trade one of their guys and it seems like DeBrincat doesn't want to re-sign in Otttawa.

The contracts being up in 2024 are nice, but you also have to take into account that Beniers new contract(My guess will be around 8x8) will kick in and we'll also need a backup goalie that potentially can send Grubauer to the bench, if he doesn't improve.

Overall my plan would be:
1) re-sgin Dunn
2) extend Beniers
3) see what's out there in the trade market

BTW: Here's the roster of the Kraken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier