Speculation: 2022-2023 Kraken Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cisse

Jun 25, 2016
Forssa
I understand Nylander is lazy. Though, we can send Toronto a 4th for him lol.
He isn't lazy. He is an artist kind of guy like many Swedes. He needs to be happy. The money, the success, points aint't the thing by it self. He will respond to certain things. In the right place he will produce over 35 goals each season for several years. But he needs to be happy.
Same with a lot of Czech players. They can produce 25 points in a season or 75. It's just how the mood strikes them. Unfortunately I don't see Hakstol getting the best out of any player in NHL.

Cisse

Jun 25, 2016
Forssa
One guy that is available that I would like to see us getting is Kasper Björkvist. The guy is a beast. He is crazy strong, plays well defensively and could actually produce something if given the chance to crash the net. Strong mentally and on minimum wage.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
He isn't lazy. He is an artist kind of guy like many Swedes. He needs to be happy. The money, the success, points aint't the thing by it self. He will respond to certain things. In the right place he will produce over 35 goals each season for several years. But he needs to be happy.
Same with a lot of Czech players. They can produce 25 points in a season or 75. It's just how the mood strikes them. Unfortunately I don't see Hakstol getting the best out of any player in NHL.

Being happy in Seattle isn't easy. Takes a little extra work, with the seasonal conditions and all. I always thought Nylander's periods of struggle always appeared as issues of effort, which of course, can come along as "the mood strikes"

One guy that is available that I would like to see us getting is Kasper Björkvist. The guy is a beast. He is crazy strong, plays well defensively and could actually produce something if given the chance to crash the net. Strong mentally and on minimum wage.

He's available? He's Arbitration Eligible RFA. Have the Pens already informed him they don't plan to make an QO? I mean, what's a guy like that actually worth? 6 NHL games played, not a whole lot of production in the AHL on a contract year at the age of 24. Future Considerations for the rights? Doesn't seem like there's much worth pursuing to me unless he isn't signed by the Pens and is a full UFA. A shot in Coachella doesn't seem like a bad plan for him.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I thought that Nylander was supposed to be well worth his contract. If the Leafs do move him I would think it would be because of cap specific issues. I don't think he gets moved as a cap dump or negative value.

At 6.9M, I'm sure he's worth his contract. He had a hell of a year this year. My argument against him is more a "types of guys Francis likes" than me not wanting him. I'd definitely take the guy.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

CD is going to be out for a while.

So trading him won't happen now and we've got to hope he can get back strong.

I know people now automatically are writing in D'Accord as the #2 but I'd probably sign a cheap vet to try and battle it out with Joey.
D'Accord, to me, has not looked like a guy that's ready for that back up role and I don't want Grubauer starting 55+ games.

Last edited:

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
The writing on the wall is that the goalie situation will look very different. I’d expect Seattle to sign somebody we don’t expect to a 2-way deal. Bibeau’s a UFA and he played only 10 AHL games last year so we’re going to want to do better.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
So trading him won't happen now and we've got to hope he can get back strong.

I know people now automatically are writing in D'Accord as the #2 but I'd probably sign a cheap vet to try and battle it out with Joey.
D'Accord, to me, has not looked like a guy that's ready for that back up role and I don't want Grubauer starting 55+ games.

I agree.

I've been a big proponent of not losing D'Accord for nothing, but I also do not think he is ready for a back-up NHL role.

Technically, he is a pretty sound goalie, he tends to give the team a really solid effort for 2/3rds of each game he plays in, but when the team leaves him hanging out to dry and he gets scored on, he gets rattled. He can't shake off goals, and the wheels come off.

Good chance it is a nerves issue, and once scored on, he starts to panic, worrying about demotions instead of staying focused. He might be ale to overcome that. It is tough on young goalies trying to claw their way into the league, but his performance in the Calder cup against Springfield also has me concerned that he just may have difficulties dealing with pressure.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Will Friedman ever shut up?

Remembering his fine stuff about McCann and how no one supposedly knew if he wanted to stay after everyone in Seattle reported about him saying so just tells me he's got no inside sources about the Kraken.

BTW: Edmonton fans seem to think they can trade Tyson Barrie straight up for Carson Soucy.
I guess they forgot that first round pick coming our way as well....

Last edited:

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Will Friedman ever shut up?

Remembering his fine stuff about McCann and how no one supposedly knew if he wanted to stay after everyone in Seattle reported about him saying so just tells me he's got no inside sources about the Kraken.

BTW: Edmonton fans seem to think they can trade Tyson Barrie straight up for Carson Soucy.
I guess they forgot that first round pick coming our way as well....

Seriously. Soucy has to come at a much steeper price tag than just Barrie.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Young 80 point forwards don't grow on trees. I strongly doubt the Leafs move Nylander as the Toronto media rumour mill is not reliable. Any source suggesting he has negative value is trolling for click bait. If the team did move him it would be for defensive help most likely.. He can look bad on the occasional play, but he is not lazy and he is highly skilled. I'd love to see him on the Kraken, but I doubt I would fancy the Leafs asking price if he became available.

Last edited:

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I think Barrie gets way more flack on this sight than is deserved.

A right hand shot defenseman that can put up 45-50 points that is under contract for 2 more seasons at 4.5 will have some value to a team that needs offense from the backend and can shelter him defensively.

That said, i agree with everyone here that Barrie does not really have a spot on this Kraken team.

And while I don't think Barrie has negative value by any means (which seems to be the narrative on the main boards more often than not), i think that with contributions and cap hits, Soucy should have substantially more value than Barrie around the league, and swappig the two, even with an add, would be taking a step backward.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I think Barrie gets way more flack on this sight than is deserved.

A right hand shot defenseman that can put up 45-50 points that is under contract for 2 more seasons at 4.5 will have some value to a team that needs offense from the backend and can shelter him defensively.

That said, i agree with everyone here that Barrie does not really have a spot on this Kraken team.

And while I don't think Barrie has negative value by any means (which seems to be the narrative on the main boards more often than not), i think that with contributions and cap hits, Soucy should have substantially more value than Barrie around the league, and swappig the two, even with an add, would be taking a step backward.

I think he could have a spot on the Kraken as the puck moving defenseman that Francis was talking about.
Though, you've got to know that you'll have to shelter him on the 3rd pairing and that he's mostly there to help with the power play.

To me it's the thought of us not just taking on that cap hit of $4.5 mil for two more years, during a flat cap era and with a division rival in Edmonton in desperate need to shed salaries, but that they could also get Soucy on top of that.

Just for reference.
Last summer the Flyers had a puck moving, offensive minded defenseman who had trouble defensively in Shane Ghostisbehere and they ended up including a 2nd + a 7th round pick to unload that contract in the desert.

So that alone tells you that Barrie's not a positive asset but rather a cap dump, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad