Rumor: 2022-2022 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Part 14: Sakic goes back to bed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If I remember right Toronto tried acquiring him but he blocked a trade to the East. Also Carolina made a move and he apparently would have waived but I guess they were outbid by Sakic. With DeAngelo probably leaving maybe they'd be an option.

That said I do agree I think Colorado and Anaheim would be the two front runners. It'll just come down to how high Sakic is willing to go on a deal, and whether or not Manson wants to go back to California. My guess is that if the Avs offer him a competitive deal he'd likely re-sign.
I agree, not really gunna find a better situation than Colorado the next couple years. That’s got to be pretty appealing for a player

AvStock

Mar 15, 2022
I hope MacKinnon looks at Tampa's success and how all of their stars are under $10 million AAV, which has helped to facilitate their depth (well, along with the LTIR shenanigans).

Also, we know from the postgame interview, that the number 87 seems to hold some metaphysical significance to him. Maybe he will sign up for $8.7 million AAV on a long contract. I think we're all pretty sure that the tail end of an 8-year, $8.7 million AAV contract will not look particularly great, given the aging curve and the type of player MacK is.
Wouldn't that be bad leadership if MacK didn't take a team friendly deal when everyone else did? (Rants, Makar, Landy)? I know a year has passed since Joe signed that killer deal with Makar (who is now viewed as the best player on the Avs). So what is MacK's fair value at now this summer for a team friendly deal? 10.5 x 8? 11 x 8? Hopefully we see some leadership from him.

BigCKU

Aug 16, 2020
Lehkonen is RFA so I wouldn't worry about him.

My offseason list:
1. Re-sign Nishukin and Manson
2. Trade Compher and Girard for top 6 help, preferbly a 2C, (PLD?)
3. Sign Fleury to 1M/1 Year
4. Sign Filip Forsberg

Yeah but re-signing Lehkonen will cost a fair amount. Figured allocating money for the cap MacK, Lehkonen, and Nuke would be the top 3 priorities and what they can do without having to move any contracts around. Agree though with Lehkonen they can wait and see and move contracts around if they absolutely have to to make it work.

I definitely want to re-sign Manson preferably to a 2-3 year deal but he may be seeking longer. Will be interesting to see if Erik Johnson returns to play out his final year or his contract or retires. If he retires part of that 6 mil can hopefully be used to re-sign Manson. If it was possible to find a 2C with Girard/Compher combo that would be amazing for Avs and put Hook on as the 3C. Then fill out the bottom 6 and 5D/6D with value contracts and veterans looking to chase a cup.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Having just watched them for a whole series, Paul and Palat (not necessarily both) would be great adds that fit this team so well. Palat in particular would give the Avs three guys that are just relentless forecheckers with enough skill that they blend in really well with offensive players.

Palat is exactly the type of two-way forward the Avs love, but there only way you could actually fit him in would be if you either:

A) Go cheap at 2C or in net (or both); or

B) Create cap space by moving someone like Girard (ideally to fill the 2C spot) and/or by moving JTC or having EJ retire (or if Nichuskin walks).

Something along these lines would be extremely tough to play against, but it probably puts too much money on the wings to be feasible.

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Palat
Nichuskin - 2C - Rantanen
Newhook - Meyers - Lehkonen

Reactions: MarkT

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The celebration winning the Cup doesn't take away from the work that needs to be done for next season.

I truly believe all of Kadri, Burakovsky, Manson, and Kuemper are walking as UFAs. If I was a betting man:

Kadri to Philadelphia
Burakovsky to Ottawa
Manson to Anaheim
Kuemper to Edmonton

I think Nichushkin and Lehkonen are both re-signed to contracts that are more team friendly than we are thinking, and that Girard is traded in a package that brings back either John Gibson or a young-ish 2C.

There will be more work for next season, though. The 4th line will likely be 2/3 new since I don't expect either of Helm or Cogliano back (I think they both retire). However, the core is in tact:

Lehkonen - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - XXXXX - Nichushkin
Newhook - Meyers - Compher
XXXXX - XXXXX - O'Connor

Toews - Makar
Byram - Johnson
XXXXX - XXXXX

XXXXX
Francouz

One of those open slots filled by Girard. I'm guessing one of Ranta/Foudy pushes for a 4th line role on the team. I expect JMFJ to be re-signed at league minimum if he's interested in still playing as a 7D.

Work to be done. The defending of the Cup starts today.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Watching JTC get caved in on the regular, and being relegated to the 4th line again…

Need to take advantage of any value he created in the 2nd round and trade him for assets that can help with obtaining a goalie/2C.

Same for Newhook too.

A lot of avenues to fill the big holes this summer.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
The celebration winning the Cup doesn't take away from the work that needs to be done for next season.

I truly believe all of Kadri, Burakovsky, Manson, and Kuemper are walking as UFAs. If I was a betting man:

Kadri to Philadelphia
Burakovsky to Ottawa
Manson to Anaheim
Kuemper to Edmonton

I think Nichushkin and Lehkonen are both re-signed to contracts that are more team friendly than we are thinking, and that Girard is traded in a package that brings back either John Gibson or a young-ish 2C.

There will be more work for next season, though. The 4th line will likely be 2/3 new since I don't expect either of Helm or Cogliano back (I think they both retire). However, the core is in tact:

XXXXX - XXXXX - O'Connor

Toews - Makar
Byram - Johnson
XXXXX - XXXXX

XXXXX
Francouz

One of those open slots filled by Girard. I'm guessing one of Ranta/Foudy pushes for a 4th line role on the team. I expect JMFJ to be re-signed at league minimum if he's interested in still playing as a 7D.

Pretty sure Sedlak is penciled in at the 4C already.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Watching JTC get caved in on the regular, and being relegated to the 4th line again…

Need to take advantage of any value he created in the 2nd round and trade him for assets that can help with obtaining a goalie/2C.

Same for Newhook too.

A lot of avenues to fill the big holes this summer.
Credit where credit is due: J.T. Compher had a phenomenal playoff run. He was not good from game 3 onwards in this series and Bednar clearly saw it, limiting his ice to under 9 minutes last night.

However, only so much can be done when you're playing with Alex Newhook (who was horrendous in all but one playoff game) and Nico Sturm. Losing Burakovsky killed Compher in this series.

The Avs need Compher next season for depth. It's a contract year, I expect his best.
Pretty sure Sedlak is penciled in at the 4C already.
I don't know about that. Sedlak strikes me as a guy that's going to be an AHL/NHL tweener call-up when injuries hit.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

Kadri to Philadelphia
Burakovsky to Ottawa
Manson to Anaheim
Kuemper to Edmonton

XXXXX - XXXXX - O'Connor

Toews - Makar
Byram - Johnson
XXXXX - XXXXX

XXXXX
Francouz

A lot will hinge on whether or not Sakic can secure a 2C and/or goalie in UFA.

If for example you can slot Copp or Trocheck at 2C without giving up anything off the roster then things will be looking pretty fine.

That said I suspect given how lax the organisation has generally been with the 2C and 3C positions beyond the Kadri trade that they might opt to give Newhook a shot at it and re-assess later, especially if it means that they can keep Girard. It's not ideal but might be workable with Nichuskin and Landeakog as the wingers to insulate Newhook.

Landeskog - Newhook - Nichuskin

Compher also held his own at 2C for a few games in the WCF and SCF which may play into this too.

Then there's also Meyers to consider. He was one of the most sought after college free agents in years and probably got some assurances of a key role if he signed with Colorado. It's possible that the front office view him as a younger Andrew Copp as their play-styles as pretty similar (hard working but limited-in-skill two-way LW/C) and have him pencilled in for an opportunity to work his way up the lineup.

For the record I'm not a believer in Newhook as a center or 2C right now, and Meyers has a lot to prove as even an everyday NHL'er; but I'm just commenting on what the Avs front office may be thinking.

If you go with internal options at 2C you can keep Girard and continue to roll 3 elite transition D pairs, and probably also afford to re-sign Manson. Barring a raft of injuries the roster should still be a playoff team without adding a 2C, but if it becomes clear by the deadline that an external 2C solution is needed then you'd still have the option of trading Girard for a 2C. By that time Girard will be healthy and (hopefully) playing well again which would make it easier to make a good-value trade for a 2C. Waiting 6 months may also yield more options as new 2C alternatives may come on the market that aren't available right now.

Again, I'm not saying that this is what the Avs necessarily should do, but I wouldn't be particularly surprised if they go this route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad