Prospect Info: 2022 - 1st OA] Juraj Slafkovsky (LW) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think his biggest issue so far is just knowing his role. He looks lost in his defensive coverage at times or leaves his position to forecheck in situations theres no chance of getting the puck, creating openings for counterattacks. I'm guessing his systems in Finland were much different. MSL also isn't the most technical guy, it could just take some time to adjust.

At least you can see the potential.
He doesn’t really know what to do without the puck. Biggest thing he needs to develop imo. His ability to make plays when he has the puck is evident though.

Reactions: viceroy

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
Absolutely his best game thus far, though the major flaws in his decision-making and skating are still manifest. He did appear more comfortable with his passes and puck control.

Also, no one has ever seriously referred to him as a bust at this stage of his career - merely noted glaring flaws and lackluster performance. That said, they would have the same justification for doing the former after a mediocre rookie tournament and two preseason games as anyone who drooled over him due to his success in an equally meaningless Olympics. Both are irrational extrapolations from small sample sizes.
The only flaws I’ve seen in his decision-making have been to pass to Dach or Armia instead of shooting.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
The only flaws I’ve seen in his decision-making have been to pass to Dach or Armia instead of shooting.
Yeah.

While playing with Dach he is the shooter and he probably could let his playmaking shine better when he plays with Suzuki and Caufield.

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
Yeah.

While playing with Dach he is the shooter and he probably could let his playmaking shine better when he plays with Suzuki and Caufield.
Dach scores his goals real close to the net. It was like that even in the WHL. Often in the crease on a rebound. Much more productive for Slaf to put the puck on net and both crash the net for the rebound. Don’t pass to Dach unless he wants the puck right back.

Reactions: dinodebino

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
so much potential but so raw. No way habs play him in the NHL right away if they are smart. Let him develop his pro NA game in the A with young talent like Mesar
Ya with what I’m seeing, let him and Mesar play half a year in the AHL. Hopefully another fire sale at the deadline and we can bring up the young guns.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

The blind pass up the middle that resulted in a breakaway that only Matheson's ridiculous speed thwarted. He has done this numerous times in Liiga and International play. He does not map the ice very well at this point but this is the type of thing that Nicholas mentioned as the first building block that needs to be put in place. MSL will also help him to understand how to map and read the ice at a higher level.

His strength is holding on to the puck and making the plays that are in front of him.

He is extremely raw but I think he can be moulded into a very good player but it will likely take time.

Reactions: HostileCapSpace

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
Yeah.

How many goals did Getzlaf and Perry score by putting the puck on net and crashing the net. Two 6’4 monsters hacking at the puck around the net is hard to deal with. Slaf has a heavy shot. Then both pick up the scraps.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
so much potential but so raw. No way habs play him in the NHL right away if they are smart. Let him develop his pro NA ga in the A with young talent like Mesar
I'm fine with that. No need to rush him. Let him dominate at lower levels.

Subban did it, so did Price, so did Max...

• Haha
Reactions: dasahgah

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
I though he played well today. More of what I expected from him, but still lots of flags. I can’t get over how raw of a player we drafted at 1.

While you're technically 100% correct.

He has a lot of natural skills and ability for such a big kid at that age.

If everything goes well in his development.. he may have the ability to dominate shifts/games -- or at the very least be extremely annoying for opposing teams to play against.

Anderson was one of the better players for Montreal tonight showing speed and physical play. With all these new big bodies, this team will be tough to play against.

Absolutely.

People can hate on Anderson all they want, but he is a legit Power Forward in the NHL, textbook PF, in the truest sense of the word.

He perfectly understands how and where to place his body, and is good about picking his spots, plus has a ton of speed.

Yes he isn't the most skillful ever but I was referring to how he plays, uses his body and his speed.

Reactions: viceroy

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Also, just listening to Slaf post game...

He has such a great head on his shoulders and attitude.

It sounds like Anderson is mentoring him which is awesome considering Anderson is one of the few legit PF in the league!

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
I watched à few games, on tape, he would be invisible and not do much like his first 2 ps games
Fair enough but if he was invisible he was not struggling. He was just being a 17 years old playing in a pro league.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Fair enough but if he was invisible he was not struggling. He was just being a 17 years old playing in a pro league.

You have been embarrassing Hab fans on the main board with grossly biased comments and here is another example. Slaf struggled mightily in his first two games and put up a much improved showing tonight.

Just deal with the truth instead of blindly defending him and going on the main boards to slam Wright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad